Chapter 6 – Outwitting Batman
56 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rose stirred as the morning sun warmed her bare shoulder. She turned her head to read the digital clock on the bedside table - 6:03 AM. 

"Shit," she muttered groggily. 

Beside her, Edward sighed in his sleep and shifted closer, draping an arm over her waist. She smiled softly at his ruffled hair and peaceful expression, still handsome even in slumber. 

Rose nudged Edward's arm. "Edward, wake up." He grumbled and buried his face in the pillow. She nudged harder. "Come on, get up." 

Bleary green eyes blinked open. "What time is it?" he mumbled. 

"Time for me to get home before work," she replied. 

Edward stretched luxuriously, muscles flexing beneath smooth skin. Rose admired the view a moment before glancing at the clock again sternly.

He followed her gaze and then met her eyes, trying to stifle a yawn. "Can't you call in sick? One more day with me couldn't hurt."

Rose sighed. "I can't, I just started this job and don’t want to get fired." She insisted, sliding out of bed and searching for her clothes.

Edward conceded her point with a dramatic sigh. "Very well, my dear. Duty calls and all that." As he rose from the bed to dress, he added, "At least let me make you breakfast before you go. I won't take no for an answer." 

Turning to face him, Rose saw the appeal in his eyes and knew she couldn't refuse. "Alright, breakfast it is. But then I really have to get going."

As Edward whisked eggs at the stove, Rose set the coffee brewing and found toast. They worked comfortably together in the small kitchen, moving easily around each other in the tight space. 

Soon they sat eating, feet entwined under the table as the morning sun shone in. Before long, they'd finished and Rose glanced at the clock - 6:40.

Rinsing dishes in the sink, Rose said, "Alright Eddie, time to get me home." 

Edward pouted playfully but grabbed his keys from the counter. 

The drive to Rose's apartment passed enjoyably, filled with laughter at Edward's amusing anecdotes. Before they knew it, they arrived at Rose’s apartment building.

"I'll wait inside while you get ready," Edward insisted as they walked upstairs. Rose nodded, gathering her things.

In the bathroom, Rose showered, letting the warm water wake her. As she lathered soap over her skin, the bathroom door opened with a creak.

"Eddie, what are you doing in here?" she asked playfully over her shoulder. 

Edward leaned against the sink, admiring the silhouette beyond the steamy glass. "Why, I thought I'd join my favorite enigma," he replied with a gleam in his eye.

Rose smiled softly. "Is that so? And what makes you think I'll allow an intruder such as yourself into my shower?" 

She turned to face him, water cascading down her naked curves. 

Edward pushed off the sink and stepped close, his eyes roaming unabashedly over her glistening form. "I suppose I'll have to convince you," he purred, placing his hands on either side of the shower entrance. 

Rose raised a questioning brow. "And how do you plan to do that?"

A slow, wicked grin spread across Edward's face. "Like this." He leaned in swiftly to capture her lips in a searing kiss. 

Rose sighed into his mouth, her resolve melting away under the onslaught of sensation. When they parted for air, her eyes remained closed, savoring the lingering taste of him.

"Convincing enough for you?" Edward whispered, pressing light kisses along her jawline.

"Mmm, I do believe I'm persuaded," Rose admitted breathlessly. 

"Very well Eddie, you may enter. But I expect you to put those skilled hands of yours to good use." 

Edward's boyish grin was her only reply as he shed his clothes, eager to fulfill her request under the warm spray. 

Stepping into the shower, Edward drew Rose into a deep kiss. He grabbed a cloth and lathered it with soap, then slowly began washing her shoulders and back. 

Rose sighed in contentment. "Mmm, that feels wonderful." 

"Anything for you, my dear," he murmured against her neck. His hands slid lower, lingering at her hips. 

Rose giggled and turned within his embrace. "Behave yourself, Eddie. We don't have all morning." She took the soap and began washing his chest in turn.

Edward's eyes gleamed with mischief. "Must we truly get out so soon?" 

Rose smiled up at him, caressing his soapy chest. "As much as I wish we could stay like this forever, you know my work can't wait." She brushed her lips along his jaw playfully. "Though I suppose a few more minutes couldn't hurt..."

Edward tugged her flush against his naked form once more. "A few minutes with you is never enough, my dear." 

Their kiss deepened under the pouring water.

When they finally parted, Rose traced his damp grin fondly. "Naughty man. Now let's wash each other's hair before I’m really late." 

She massaged shampoo into his ginger locks. Edward hummed blissfully, hands caressing down her long hair in return.

Rinsing the last of the suds from their hair, Rose reluctantly shut off the water. Edward held her close against him, his lips seeking out hers eagerly once more. She responded in kind, arms winding around his neck as their kiss grew heated.

Edward lifted Rose effortlessly. Her back met the cool tiles with a soft thud as their embrace deepened further, bodies flush against one another. 

Rose sighed blissfully into his mouth, carding her fingers through his damp hair. But reality intruded once more. She playfully nipped his bottom lip. 

"Put me down, you insatiable man. I don't want to be later than I already am."

Edward chuckled but gently lowered her down. "As my lady commands." 

Stepping from the shower, he withdrew a towel and began drying himself off. Rose took her own towel next, watching discreetly from the corner of her eye as Edward dressed. 

Fully dressed, he combed both hands through his damp hair to straighten the waves. "How do I look, dear? Presentable for the outside world?" Edward inquired playfully.

Rose moved closer to adjust his tie with a mischievous smile. "You look handsome as always." She pressed a tender kiss to his lips. 

Breaking the kiss reluctantly, Edward said, "I'll meet you in the living room, dear. Don't take too long, every minute apart is agony." 

Rose laughed softly at his dramatics and pushed him playfully from the bathroom. Wrapping her towel securely, she made her way into the bedroom. There, she carefully applied her usual touches of makeup and got dressed in her work attire - a short-sleeved blouse, a fitted skirt, and matching heels. 

Emerging from the bedroom, Rose found Edward lounging on the couch. He rose at her entrance, eyes lighting up as he took in her polished appearance. "As beautiful as ever, my dear."

"Ready to go?" Rose asked with a smile.

"Whenever you are," Edward replied cheerfully. 

They walked together outside where his car was parked. Ever the gentleman, Edward opened the passenger door for Rose before going around to the driver's side. Edward started the engine and they pulled away, setting off with conversation and music to keep them company on the road.


When they arrived at the Wayne Enterprises building, Edward smoothly parked the car in the drop-off area. 

With regret, Rose said her farewells, looking into Edward's keen eyes behind his emerald domino mask. "Thank you for the ride, Eddie. I'll call you at lunch." 

Edward leaned in to give her a tender parting kiss. "Have a wonderful day, my dear. I'll be counting the minutes until I see you again," he said warmly.

Rose smiled and stepped out of the car, turning to blow Edward a kiss in return. He pretended to catch it with a grin, making her chuckle, before driving away. 

Walking through the lobby of Wayne Enterprises, Rose greeted the friendly security guards with a wave. She made her way to the bank of elevators, pressing the call button. When a lift arrived, Rose stepped inside and pressed the button for the 20th floor. 

As the elevator glided smoothly upward, she straightened her blouse, preparing herself for the morning ahead.

Rose stepped off the elevator and made her way to her desk. She booted up her computer and began reviewing the agenda for the day. 

A few hours passed in a flurry of emails and calls. Around noon, Bruce’s secretary informed her that he had requested her presence in his office. Curious, she gathered her notes and headed upstairs.

When Rose entered the plush office, Bruce smiled politely from behind his desk. "Thank you for coming, Rose. Please, have a seat."

Once she sat, Bruce's expression turned serious. "I received a report that you were involved in an incident with Edward yesterday evening."

Rose felt her heart sink but kept her face neutral. "Involved how? I'm not sure what you mean."

Bruce studied her closely. "An eyewitness account placed you at the scene of one of the Riddler’s crimes last night. While I have no desire to pry into your personal affairs, I must warn you that associating with known criminals, even tangentially, could endanger your career and safety."

Rose willed herself to remain calm. "I see. Can I ask who provided this eyewitness report?" She hoped to glean how much Bruce truly knew without revealing too much herself.

"The source of the information isn't important," Bruce replied evasively. "What matters is that you avoid bringing any trouble to Wayne Enterprises. We've worked hard to establish this company as a respected, legitimate business."

Rose nodded thoughtfully. She knew prying further wouldn't get her anywhere. But she was determined to find out how Bruce had learned of her date with Edward the previous night. 

"I understand the concern for the company's reputation," Rose responded carefully. "But I’m telling you, I’m not associated with any criminals. It seems there's been some kind of mistake."

Bruce leaned back in his chair, his gaze piercing. "For your sake, I hope that's the case. Consider this a warning - stay far away from troublemakers like the Riddler. One wrong step could destroy everything you've achieved here."

Rose nodded calmly under Bruce's stern gaze. "Thank you for looking out for the company. I'll be sure to stay clear of any criminal activity, as I've always done."

His expression remained wary. "See that you do. You're dismissed for now, but we may need to revisit this subject if further issues arise."

Rising from her chair, Rose flashed a polite smile and turned to leave. As she exited Bruce's office, her mind was already working overtime. How had Bruce learned of her involvement with Edward? They didn’t encounter anyone that night but Batman. Did he report it or did someone else? 

Whatever his means of gathering information, it was clear Bruce's suspicions were mounting. She'd have to be far more careful moving forward if she wished to maintain her dual lives intact. And the first step was a chat with Edward to warn him about Bruce’s surveillance.

Rose returned to her desk and threw herself into her work, hoping to push their disconcerting conversation from her mind. 


At 5 PM promptly, Rose gathered her things to leave for the day. As she exited the building, Edward's green sports car pulled up to the curb. She slid into the passenger seat and leaned in for a brief kiss.

"Evening, my dear. How was your day?" Edward asked cheerfully as he pulled back into traffic.

"Eventful. Bruce called me into his office this afternoon," Rose sighed as she recalled their discussion. 

She proceeded to explain that Bruce implied he had witnessed her interaction with Edward the previous night. 

Edward frowned thoughtfully. "Hmm, our rendezvous at the botanical gardens after hours was hardly discreet. And we lingered for some time before the Bat interrupted us."

Rose nodded. "Then there was also our visit to that businessman’s rooftop patio later that evening. Batman caught up to us there too if you remember." 

"Indeed, it seems the Dark Knight was shadowing us more closely than we realized both times. Bruce must have learned of our activities from his caped colleague," Edward mused.

"In any case, he wants me to stay away from you going forward. But how did Batman know to follow us?" Rose pondered aloud.

Edward grinned deviously. "No matter. We'll have to plan our next date more cleverly to elude the Bat's prying eyes."

Rose smiled softly at Edward's mischievous grin. But her mind still swirled with questions. "Do you think Batman suspects our...relationship?" she asked carefully. 

Edward pondered for a moment. "Perhaps. The Bat is a shrewd fellow. Still, I imagine his primary concern is our criminal hijinks, not personal affairs."

"Even so, we'll need to be more careful going forward. For both our sakes," Rose mused. 

"Don’t worry, my dear. Leave stealth operations to me. I've plenty of practice eluding the Dark Knight." He flashed a crooked smile. "Our next date will be our most ingenious rendezvous yet."

Rose couldn't help smiling back, her nerves easing. "I know you’ll come up with something to keep us ahead of him," she said. 

Rubbing his chin thoughtfully, Edward mused, "We'll need a strategy that plays to our strengths while bewildering the Bat. His technology and deductive skills are formidable." 

"Like one of your trademark riddles," Rose suggested. 

Edward snapped his fingers, eyes lighting up. "Precisely! I have just the devious plan." 

“Alright, out with it! What’s this big plan of yours?" Rose asked excitedly. 

Edward grinned. "I’ll explain everything once we get back to my place."

He swerved into an abandoned lot and parked his car behind a run-down building. As he got out of the car, Rose followed him down an alleyway to his hideout.


At his main workstation, blueprints and half-finished gadgets were scattered across the shining metal surface as usual. 

"Now, down to the matter at hand," Edward announced, rubbing his hands together eagerly. "Our most elaborate plan to date, if I do say!"

At his workstation, Edward pulled out a rolled-up schematic and carefully spread it across the table. "The abandoned warehouse by the docks, as I'm sure you know, is the perfect stage for our greatest scheme."

Rose leaned in, examining the detailed blueprint. "What did you have in mind?" 

Edward's eyes gleamed mischievously. "An electrified cage dangling above, released via this control panel." He indicated the mechanism.’

As Edward enthusiastically laid out the trap's particulars, Rose listened raptly, impressed by his clever design. But a question nagged at her. 

"But how will we watch without being seen?" Rose asked.

"We will be hidden in the control room, so we may savor his frustrations from afar." Edward smiled slyly. "What do you think, my dear? Foolproof, no?"

Rose grinned, impressed as always by his clever mind. "It's brilliant. But how will we lure Batman all the way out there?"

A grin spread across Edward's face. "Ah, that is where the fun truly begins. I've devised a mystifying riddle leading our fine caped friend to the warehouse!"

He retrieved a folded note and read aloud his meticulously crafted enigma. Rose gasped in delight, amazed by Edward's brilliance once more. 

"Batman won't know what hit him!" Rose grinned. 

"Indeed. He will be in for a shocking surprise!" Edward tucked the riddle away. "Now all that remains is assembling the apparatus above the warehouse. Leave the preparations to me - I have everything well in hand."

With their plans set in motion, Edward set his henchmen to work constructing the electrified cage and placing cameras in the room. The days crept by as final touches and checks were made. 


As the anticipated night arrived, Rose counted down the hours of her work day, eager to learn if Edward had delivered the final piece of their scheme. When her shift ended, she hurried outside to see Edward waiting in his car.

"I take it the riddle has been sent?" she asked eagerly, getting into the passenger seat. 

Edward grinned in response. "Our caped friend should be taking the bait as we speak. Are you ready to inspect our handiwork, my dear?"

Rose grinned in return, pulse quickening at the thought of what was to come. "Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!"

Edward sped them through the dark streets, arriving soon after at the isolated building. Together they slipped inside, making their way silently to the control room. 

Edward and Rose kept watch over the camera feeds. The only sound was their synchronous breathing as they waited. Time seemed to crawl until distant echoes of approaching footsteps broke the silence. A hulking figure appeared on the screen and made its way into the open area. Even through the dim lighting, the dark form and pointed ears were unmistakable.

Edward grinned triumphantly at Rose. "It seems our guest of honor has arrived." 

He placed a hand on the control lever, poised to spring the trap. 

Batman slowly surveyed his surroundings, no doubt trying to deduce the meaning behind Edward's clever riddles. When he located the final clue tucked inside a question mark box, comprehension dawned on his stern features. 

Too late, the Dark Knight spun around—but Edward had already pulled the lever. Sparks flew as the massive cage plunged downward, successfully encircling its target within the electrically charged bars. 

Rose stifled a giggle at the outraged cries echoing through the warehouse. She nudged Edward playfully. "Way to go, Edward! Your brilliant plan worked perfectly."

Edward chuckled, pleased with their handiwork. "Now let the real fun begin." He activated the speaker. "Well well, Batman. It seems you've found yourself in quite the predicament."

Batman glared up futilely for the source of the voice. "You won't get away with this, Nygma!" 

"We'll see about that! Now you'll just have to amuse yourself while I attend to other matters. Ta ta!"

Edward shut off the speaker and turned to Rose with a triumphant grin. "Our plans for the evening can now proceed without fear of interruptions." He opened the control room door. "After you, my dear." 

Rose stepped out into the warehouse, Edward following behind and sealing the door. Upon reaching the exit, Edward peered outside to check their path was clear before gesturing Rose through. 

Once outside, Rose turned to Edward with an excited smile. "So where are you taking me for our long-awaited date?"

Edward returned her smile, eyes gleaming mysteriously. "I thought we could start our evening someplace fun and educational. How does the children's museum sound?"

"The museum? What a wonderful idea!" 

They walked toward where Edward had parked the car. Once inside, Edward began the drive into town, telling Rose about his past visits to the museum. Rose laughed, delighted by his enthusiasm.


Soon the museum came into view, its colorful exterior lighting up the night. Edward parked and strode around to open Rose's door, offering his gloved hand with a flourish. "My dear, our evening of discovery awaits."

Rose took his hand with a grin, heart-lifting at the prospect of exploring the museum freely, without interruption, alongside her clever partner in crime.

As they approached the front door, Rose noticed the darkened windows and CLOSED sign. "It looks like we've arrived too late," she observed. 

Edward merely flashed a sly smile. "Not to worry, I have a way in." 

He led Rose around to the side entrance, taking out his lockpicking tools. Within moments they heard a click, and the door swung open.

Rose stepped inside the dark lobby, eyes adjusting to the low light. Edward slipped behind the front desk and flicked a switch. Lights flickered on above the deserted exhibits.

"I haven't been in a place like this since I was a little girl," Rose said wistfully. "Thank you for bringing me here tonight, Edward."

"You're very welcome, my dear. I'm happy we can share this experience." Edward gazed at her with fond affection. "Now, where shall we start?”

They walked through the exhibits, taking in the sights. Around the corner was a play kitchen, filled with plastic food and appliances. The pretend meals looked ready to be made by imaginative children.

Rose stepped inside the cozy toy domain, immediately transported back to the days of being a kid. 

Edward followed her in, his natural curiosity piqued. "What culinary delights shall we conjure up?" he said playfully. 

Rose grabbed two plastic pots and pans. "Let me show you my special recipe for pretend pancakes!" 

She made sizzling sounds as she pretended to mix and pour the batter. Edward played along, gasping as the "pancakes" magically appeared on the stovetop. 

Next, they moved on to "sandwiches." Edward stacked colorful plastic slices of bread, meat, and veggies high. "Care for a taste of my world-famous BLT?" 

Rose took a pretend bite and exclaimed at the delicious flavor. 

After their pretend BLTs, Rose looked around for their next culinary adventure. "Ooh let's make cake!" she exclaimed. 

Edward smiled mischievously. "As you wish, but first we'll need eggs..." He pretended to crack open plastic eggs over the bowl, making silly cracking sounds. 

Rose joined in, adding imaginary flour and sugar. "Now it's time to mix the batter!" She mimed stirring vigorously. 

Edward took over, cranking an invisible mixer till the "batter" was ready. He pretended to pour it into tiny toy pans. Into the plastic oven, it went!

As they waited for the "cake" to bake, Rose checked the play fridge. "How about juice to go with our cake?" Edward helped pour cups of air while Rose added straws. 

Finally the timer "dinged" - their cake was ready! With plastic forks, they fed each other bites of moist pretend cake. 

After enjoying their game of imaginary cooking, Rose looked up at Edward and said, "That was fun! What do you want to do next?"

After enjoying their silly game of pretend cooking, Rose looked up at Edward with a bright smile and asked, "That was fun! What should we do next?"

Edward's keen green eyes scanned the playroom thoughtfully until they landed on something promising across the colorful rug. 

"Aha, look over there my dear! That huge tub of Lego bricks seems perfect for building and creating to our heart's content." 

He grasped Rose's hand, their fingers intertwining, and together they raced across the room. Their laughter echoed off the sunny yellow walls as they ran. 

Skidding to a stop in front of the giant storage bins brimming with Legos organized neatly by color and size, Edward proclaimed "Construction time!" with an eager rub of his hands.

Rose dove in enthusiastically, grabbing big handfuls of red, blue, and green bricks from the tubs. 

Edward carefully selected his starting pieces - angled bricks in purple and black. "I'm envisioning an impressive Gothic castle," he mused. "What will you build, my dear?"

Rose pondered the kaleidoscope of blocks. "I think I'll make a cottage with a garden," she decided with a smile. 

Together they began bringing their imagined structures to life, brick by brick. The air filled with the clicking of Legos as their architectural dreams took shape.

Edward's castle began rising from the carpet, tall spires and parapets crafted from angled black bricks. He added windows and arches with meticulous care.

Rose focused on her cottage, using warm red and yellow bricks for a cozy feel. She pressed flowers and vines made of green pieces into the walls and framed the windows with white. 

As the builds progressed, they chatted and laughed brightly, exchanging ideas and gently teasing each other. 

When the castle and cottage were complete, they connected them with a road of gray bricks. Edward found mini-figures for the king and queen of the castle and the townspeople who lived in the cottage.

"Look at the world we've created," said Rose joyfully. She leaned against Edward as they admired their handiwork.

"It's wonderful," Edward replied, planting a kiss on her hair. "But not nearly as wondrous as you, my dear." Rose smiled up at him happily before they returned to playing in the world they had built brick by brick.

After a while, Rose and Edward packed away their Lego creations. Looking at each other with smiles, Edward asked "Where shall we go next?"

Rose scanned the room, then smiled as she spotted a small nook. "Come on, let's go check out the library area."

Intrigued, Edward took her hand as they made their way over to the carpeted corner filled with piles of colorful children's books. 

"Let's see what adventures we can find between these pages," Edward said eagerly. He scanned the titles before pulling out a pop-up picture book.

Sitting beside Rose, Edward began to read aloud in an animated voice. Bright illustrations jumped from the pages as he told the simple story. 

Rose listened attentively, giggling at the funny parts. Before long she was adding her own commentary. They went through several more books with enthusiastic silliness. 

After finishing the last storybook, Edward returned it gently to its place on the shelf. As he stood, he retrieved his pocket watch from his jacket, flipping open the cover to check the time.

"Goodness, look at the hour!" He gestured toward the dark windows of the library nook. "It's gotten much later than I realized. I'm afraid our time here must come to an end for tonight." 

Rose glanced outside at the darkened windows. "I didn’t realize how late it got. We were having such a good time." 

Edward held out a hand to help Rose up. "Then what do you say we continue our adventures another night? For now, it's time for us both to head home."

Rose stood up with Edward's help. "Yeah, I should get home and get some sleep so I'm not tired for my meeting tomorrow."

"Good thinking, we wouldn't want you falling asleep during your presentation," Edward replied as they made their way out of the library nook. 

He added with a grin, "Trapping Bats earlier sure worked out - we actually got to have a normal date night without any of his heroics interrupting."

Rose laughed. "It was nice to have a night to ourselves without him butting in."

Rose and Edward strolled together towards the museum lobby, still chatting happily about their adventure-filled evening. As they entered the large open area, they heard Batman’s deep voice growl.

"Not so fast you two." 

They looked up in surprise to see Batman and Robin perched on the railing of the walkway above. Leaping down, their capes billowed behind them as they landed silently to block the exit below. 

"You!" cried Edward in outrage. "How did you manage to escape our trap?!" 

Robin stepped forward. "I followed Batman to the warehouse. After you imprisoned him, I was able to infiltrate the control room and override the system, freeing him. Then we tracked you both from the rooftops at a safe distance.”

Batman nodded. “It will take more than tricks and playground devices to keep me from disrupting criminal plans like yours, Riddler," he rumbled. 

"Always interfering with my plans, Batman!" Edward exclaimed in frustration. "Just this once, I wanted an unimpeded evening with my dear Rose." 

Rose nodded in agreement. "We were having a great time exploring the museum together until you showed up."

Batman crossed his arms sternly. "Criminal schemes and innocent citizens don't mix. You two will have to reschedule your date nights without illegal activity."

Edward scowled at the Dark Knight. "Can't a supervillain court his lady love without you ruining the romance? Must you insist on butting in at every turn?"

Beside him, Rose stifled a giggle at Edward's melodramatic complaints. Batman remained unfazed. 

"Your games end here for tonight, Riddler," said Batman firmly. 

He turned to Robin. "Call the GCPD, have them send a squad car for prisoner pick up."

"No!" protested Edward. "You can't do this, I have rights!" 

But Batman had already crossed the room in a flash. He grabbed Edward's arms, twisting them behind his back to restrain him. 

"Batman, please, do you have to arrest him?" pleaded Rose. 

"I'm afraid his crimes tonight leave me no choice," Batman replied. 

Within minutes, the sound of sirens echoed as the police arrived. Batman marched Edward toward the entrance to meet them.

"This isn't over, Batman!" Edward shouted. "I'll have my revenge for this indignity!"

"Save your threats," Batman replied coolly. "You brought this on yourself."

He handed the struggling Riddler over to the officers. As they led him away in cuffs, Edward shot one last venomous glare at the Dark Knight. 

Rose watched sadly as the police car drove away with Edward inside. She let out a small sigh, her heart heavy at seeing her boyfriend taken off to Arkham Asylum. 

Beside her, Batman placed his hand on her shoulder. His tone softened as he said, "I know it's difficult, but incarcerating the Riddler is what's best for Gotham."

Rose turned to face the Dark Knight, worry etched on her features. "Please, Batman, don't tell my boss Bruce Wayne about tonight. He already spoke to me once about associating with Edward. I can't afford to lose my job at Wayne Enterprises." 

Batman studied Rose closely, noticing the fear and desperation in her eyes. "I understand. This will remain between us for now," he assured her.

Rose breathed a small sigh of relief. "Thank you. I swear I'll be more careful going forward."

Batman gave a curt nod. "See that you are. Now go home and get some rest."

He turned to Robin. "Escort Rose home to ensure she arrives safely. I have to review the security footage from tonight." 

"You got it Batman!" replied Robin enthusiastically.


As Rose began her walk home, Robin accompanied her silently. After a few blocks, they arrived at her building.

"Thank you for walking with me," Rose said sincerely.

Robin flashed a smile. "You're welcome. Get some rest!" With a wave, he launched his grappling gun and swung away into the night, disappearing over the rooftops.

Rose climbed the stairs to her apartment, lost in thought. She loved Edward and couldn't stand the thought of him locked away in Arkham. 

As she got ready for bed, an idea started forming in her mind. If Batman couldn't see past the Riddler's mischievous schemes, she would need to take matters into her own hands. Edward wouldn't stay imprisoned forever - she would find a way to break him out. But for now, all she could do was rest and plan her next move. The game was far from over.

0