Chapter 7 – Arkham Asylum
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The heavy metal door clanged shut behind Rose as she entered the private visitation room at Arkham Asylum. Sitting at the table in a gray jumpsuit was Edward, his usual prim appearance disheveled but his eyes still bright behind the glass partition.

Rose sat down across from him, picking up the phone receiver with a shaky hand. “Eddie, are you okay? They didn't hurt you, did they?”

Edward gave a wry smile. “I’m no worse for wear, my dear, don’t fret.”

"Do you know how long they're keeping you here?" she asked.

Edward sighed, leaning back in the uncomfortable metal chair. "The papers say three to six months, depending on my 'rehabilitation progress.'” He made air quotes with his fingers. "But we both know I have no plans to rehabilitate. I'm merely playing the part until I can devise my next scheme."

Rose's face fell. "Six months feels like a lifetime. I don't know if I can go that long without seeing you." 

Edward's expression softened. "Now now, don't lose hope just yet my dear. Arkham's security isn't as impenetrable as they claim." 

He glanced pointedly up at the security camera mounted in the corner of the ceiling before continuing.

"Criminals have been known to...slip away on occasion when the circumstances align." He raised one eyebrow meaningfully.

Rose's eyes lit up as she caught his hint. In a hushed voice, she asked, "Do you really think there's a way to get you out earlier than six months?"

"Perhaps with the right...motivation and assistance," Edward replied, his voice lowered. "But we must speak cautiously in present company." 

He flicked his eyes toward the camera again. Rose nodded subtly in understanding. 

Speaking vaguely, she asked, "Do you have any friends on the outside who may be willing to help provide...motivation?" 

Edward glanced pointedly at the security camera before replying carefully. "As it happens, an old colleague of mine has been keeping himself occupied in his private lab lately. Last I heard, he's been making...advances in his field of study that could prove quite disruptive if unleashed in the right setting."

Though his wording was opaque, Rose understood he was referring to another rogue in Gotham with useful skills for staging a breakout.

"I may be able to pay this colleague a visit and request his expertise then," she said, catching on. "But how would I locate his lab?"

"Take the monorail past the city limits after nightfall," Edward instructed cryptically. "You'll find the Crane Chemical plant just before the outskirts. Tell Jonathan you're an emissary from an old partner seeking...consultation...on a special project."

Edward sat back, satisfied she now had the information needed to track down Crane. "I'm sure once you explain, he'll be eager to put his innovations to productive use collaborating with an old friend."

Rose nodded, committing the details to memory. She ached to truly embrace Edward instead of conversing awkwardly through glass. Pressing her palm flat to the partition, she traced it slowly down the spotless surface, imagining she was caressing Edward's face.

Catching on to her intention, Edward raised his hand opposite hers. He mirrored her movements precisely, his elegant fingers following the graceful path of hers along the barrier between them. Though separated by the glass, for a moment they were connected.

Rose met his intelligent green eyes gazing back at her so keenly. 

"I'll go see Jonathan tonight," she affirmed. "With his skills and your brilliant mind working together, there's no way we can fail."

The heavy door suddenly swung open as a burly guard ducked into the room. "Alright, time's up Nygma. Back to your cell."

Edward nodded politely to the man before facing Rose once more. "Take care, my dear. I eagerly await your return." He lowered the phone receiver back onto its hook.

As the guard approached to take him by the elbow, Edward turned back and brought his fingers to his lips. With a roguish wink, he then pressed a parting kiss to his fingertips and touched them lightly to the glass partition where the outline of Rose's hand remained.

"Till we meet again," he said warmly, before allowing himself to be led away by the guard.

Rose kept her eyes fixed on Edward's retreating figure as he was marched down the barren hallway. Despite the drab prison uniform, he carried himself with dignity, back straight and head held high. At the heavy security door, he turned briefly and offered her an inconspicuous two-fingered salute before passing out of sight.

Rose sighed heavily, already feeling the ache of separation. She had her instructions now - it was time to carry out the first delicate steps in their plan.

Gathering herself, Rose exited the visitation area. She had several hours before dark to prepare for her quest to find Jonathan Crane.


As dusk approached, Rose made her way to the monorail station. The interior of the train was nearly deserted at this hour. Rose took a seat near the back, away from the few other passengers.

At the last stop, she disembarked and glanced around furtively. Following the mental map Edward had provided, Rose headed north on foot into a derelict industrial area. The pavement soon gave way to broken concrete and gravel beneath her feet.

In the distance, the silhouette of a dilapidated warehouse was just visible in the deepening twilight. A weathered sign hanging crookedly from rusty chains confirmed she had found her destination - Crane Chemicals.

Rose approached cautiously, her senses alert for any sign of guards or security measures. But the property appeared abandoned, metal gates chained loosely enough for her to slip through.

Making her way across the weed-choked lot, she came to a side door marked "Authorized Personnel Only." Jiggling the handle revealed it was unlocked. Rose stole inside, moving stealthily through gloomy concrete corridors in search of the Scarecrow's inner sanctum.

At the end of a passage lined with broken piping, Rose could make out the muted glow of light spilling from beneath a solid metal door. She paused, listening intently for any activity within before stepping forward and giving three sharp knocks.

For a long moment, there was only silence. Then came the squeal of chair legs pushed back hastily. Soft footsteps approached the door.

"Who’s there?" a menacing voice rasped from the other side of the door. "Identify yourself at once!"

Rose stood calmly, having expected such suspicion. "I've come here on behalf of Edward Nygma seeking your expertise, Jonathan."

There was a pause, followed by the metallic grind of locks disengaging. The heavy door creaked open several inches to reveal a sliver of Jonathan Crane's gaunt, sharp-featured face peering out. 

"You say Nygma sent you? Why should I help him?" Crane rasped suspiciously.

Rose met his gaze without flinching. "Edward mentioned you've had some success developing new formulations. He wonders if you'd like to put them to use by playing a part in his escape scheme from Arkham." 

Jonathan regarded her pensively before pulling the door open wider. "You show courage coming here alone seeking a rogue’s help. Either very foolish or very loyal. Either way, you’ve intrigued me.”

He stepped back, gesturing for Rose to enter what appeared to be a cross between a laboratory and a workshop. Jonathan sat back down at his cluttered work table and pointed Rose to a rickety stool nearby.

Rose perched cautiously on the stool across from Jonathan, glancing around his chaotic lab. Chemistry equipment and bubbling vials covered every surface, illuminated by the flickering light of a single bulb overhead. The air held an acrid, medicinal smell.

Jonathan leaned forward, steepling his fingers under his chin. "Tell me about this scheme Nygma has devised."

Rose carefully explained the plan Edward had outlined during her visit to Arkham earlier that day. Jonathan listened intently, eyes glinting with interest.

When she finished, he sat back, considering for a moment. "And what do I gain for my efforts? Nygma offers nothing in exchange."

Rose hesitated. She had nothing to bargain with that would appeal to the sinister man before her.

Jonathan noted her silence, a slow, chilling smile spreading across his gaunt face. "Perhaps we can come to an...alternative arrangement."

He opened a small case on his desk, revealing several vials of glowing green liquid nestled inside. "This is my latest fear toxin formula, yet to be tested. Aid me in improving it first, and then I will provide the distraction Edward requires."

Rose paled, shrinking back instinctively from the sinister vials. But she steeled herself, knowing she had no other options if she wished to help Edward.

"What would this testing involve?" she asked, working to keep her voice steady.

"Simply an injection of serum, then you describe your psychological responses as I monitor vitals," Jonathan explained casually as if discussing the weather. "I will provide the antidote after one hour's observation."

Rose's pulse pounded in her ears. Could she voluntarily subject herself to Scarecrow's twisted experiments, even for Edward? She pictured her beloved's face, so intelligent and full of life. The thought of him locked away, wasting his brilliant mind in an asylum cell, fueled her resolve.

"One hour under your toxin, then you provide the distraction Edward needs to escape?" Rose confirmed shakily. "You swear you have an antidote?"

Jonathan nodded, eyes glinting. "You have my word." He extended a thin, skeletal hand to seal their bargain.

Rose reached out and clasped it, fighting back her revulsion. "Alright. We have a deal."

Jonathan‘s lip curled in a chilling smile. He rose to begin preparing the toxin injection. "Roll up your sleeve. This will only take a moment."

Rose complied, rolling up her left sleeve with trembling fingers. She flinched as Jonathan produced a syringe, flicking the needle.

"Try to relax," he purred. "The serum works best on a calm mind."

Rose turned her head away, jaw clenched, as Jonathan deftly swabbed her arm and administered the injection. At first, she only felt the sting of the needle. But then...

A cold sensation began spreading up her arm, making her gasp. It quickly turned to icy tendrils snaking through her veins with an almost painful chill. Rose's heart began to race.

Across from her, Jonathan watched intently, taking notes on a clipboard. "Describe your sensations thus far," he instructed.

"It feels cold," Rose managed between shaky breaths. "Like liquid ice in my blood."

Jonathan nodded, scribbling observations. As the freezing sensation engulfed her body, Rose began to tremble violently against the stool. Strange shapes danced at the edges of her vision. She sucked in panicked gulps of air.

"Interesting, the psychological effects seem more intense than prior subjects," Jonathan noted clinically. "Tell me, what hallucinations are you experiencing?"

Rose clutched the stool for support as the room darkened, shadows morphing into grotesque creatures. They shrieked and gibbered, inching closer with claws outstretched.

"Monsters...everywhere..." Rose gasped out, pulse racing.

The creatures surrounded her, oozing bile and snapping jagged teeth. Rose screamed and thrashed as they grasped at her with rotted talons.

"Fascinating," came Jonathan‘s distant observation. "And what else?"

The lab furnishings melted away, leaving Rose suspended in infinite darkness. She sobbed in terror as disembodied hands materialized, clawing ruthlessly at her clothes and skin.

"Make them stop, please!" Rose begged between panicked shrieks.

"Try to remain coherent," Jonathan‘s voice responded calmly over the horrors' shrieks. "Every detail is valuable data."

Rose could barely choke out descriptions between her screams and futile struggles. The vivid hallucinations were relentless, bombarding her senses without mercy.

After an eternity, Jonathan finally held out a vial of blue liquid. "Drink this, it will stop the visions."

With violently shaking hands, Rose gulped down the antidote. Slowly the gnashing demons faded back into the shadows. The floating hands vaporized, leaving only heaviness in their wake.

Gasping and soaked in sweat, Rose found herself once more in Jonathan‘s dimly lit lab. He observed her clinically, making notes of her reactions.

"Most intriguing results," he murmured. "You survived admirably.”

Shudders still wracked Rose's exhausted body. But the nightmare was over. She had endured Jonathan's twisted experiments as promised. Now her only thought was freeing her beloved Edward.

"So will you provide the distraction needed to break Edward out of Arkham?" Rose asked shakily.

Jonathan set down his notebook, giving a curt nod. "Our bargain is struck. I will formulate a suitable chemical distraction by week's end to facilitate Nygma's escape."

He glanced at Rose keenly. "I trust you and Edward have devised a means of slipping him out undetected amidst the chaos?"

Rose hesitated. In truth, they had not yet worked out the logistics beyond relying on Jonathan to cause pandemonium at Arkham.

Seeing her uncertainty, Jonathan pressed his fingertips together contemplatively. "Perhaps I can offer...insight, having navigated Arkham's twisted halls before. When precisely did you intend to initiate the breakout?"

"We hadn't set a date yet," Rose admitted. "But I wish it would happen soon. I miss him so much."

"Hmm. Well, to maximize chaos, aim for a night when key staff are occupied. I suggest you determine when the monthly training seminar will occur. Security will be vulnerable then," Jonathan proposed. 

Rose's eyes lit up at the idea. "That's perfect! I'll find out the seminar date from Edward, then we can plan the breakout details."

She stood, anxious to depart after her harrowing ordeal. "I'll be in touch soon about the date. And thank you again, Jonathan. This means everything to me."

He merely inclined his head as Rose showed herself out. Soon Edward would be free of his confinement, and they could be together once more.


The next day, Rose eagerly made her way back to Arkham Asylum, heart racing at the prospect of sharing the news with Edward.

When she entered the private visitation room, Edward was already seated on the other side of the divider. He looked slightly more unkempt than usual but his eyes brightened when he saw her.

After the routine pleasantries, Rose quickly outlined the meeting with Jonathan Crane and his agreement to help.

"I spoke to our mutual friend. He agreed the best time for a visit would be during the quarterly staff seminar," Rose said carefully.

She raised a meaningful eyebrow, hoping Edward grasped her coded message about Jonathan assisting with his escape.

Catching on, Edward replied, "A wise suggestion from our associate. I will see about determining when the next seminar takes place from parties within."


The next time Rose visited Arkham, she could barely contain her anticipation. She knew Edward had been subtly gathering intelligence from staff, and hoped he had finally discovered the date they needed.

After exchanging polite pleasantries, Edward's gaze turned serious. "I've learned our mutual friends are convening for an evening seminar next Tuesday at 6 pm."

Rose kept her expression neutral despite the thrill she felt. Tuesday night - they finally had the vital date to coordinate Edward's escape!

"Interesting, I'll be sure to pass that along to our associates," she replied lightly, knowing Edward grasped her true meaning.

He gave an almost imperceptible nod and sly grin in acknowledgment before continuing their benign pretense of small talk until the guard indicated their time was ending.

Rose maintained a facade of calm even as her pulse raced with anticipation. The first step had been taken - now she needed to meet with Jonathan Crane to share the news.


That evening, Rose made her way to Jonathan's lab on the outskirts of the city to update him in person. Upon hearing the seminar's date and time, a slow, chilling grin spread across his gaunt face.

"Tuesday at 6 pm you said? I'll be sure to pay a visit then and properly introduce the Arkham staff to my latest fear toxin," he rasped with sinister anticipation.

Jonathan poured two glasses of brandy and offered one to Rose as they sat to discuss specifics. "Once I've incapacitated the guards and personnel with my toxins, what is your plan for extricating Nygma undetected?"

Rose sipped the brandy pensively. "I'll make my way inside disguised as a member of the cleaning staff. With everyone occupied by your distraction, I should be able to slip down to the maximum security wing and break Edward out of his cell unnoticed."

Nodding approvingly, Jonathan retrieved a folded schematic of Arkham's layout across the table. He pointed out access points and routes, as well as potential hazards.

Rose studied it intently, memorizing the maze of corridors. Jonathan's insider knowledge could mean the difference between success and disaster.

Rose and Jonathan spent hours discussing their plan in detail. They considered every possible scenario to ensure Edward's escape would succeed. 

Once all the arrangements were made, Rose finished her drink and stood up to leave. Her nerves were on edge with anticipation now that a timeline was set. Rose bid Jonathan goodbye and departed from the chemical plant, ready to put their scheme into motion.


Tuesday evening had arrived at last. Rose exited a taxi down the block from Arkham Asylum, her pulse racing in anticipation. She was dressed in an outfit taken from a cleaning service, disguising her as a staff member. 

Moments later, a dark vehicle appeared. As it pulled to a stop, Rose saw Jonathan Crane behind the wheel, his gaunt face now obscured by a burlap mask. 

Jonathan stepped out clutching a large satchel, no doubt containing his latest fear toxin formulas. His haunting masked visage turned toward Rose.

"I will begin the distraction in precisely ten minutes. Follow when you hear the screams," he rasped. With that, Jonathan slipped silently toward Arkham's side entrance and vanished inside.

Rose steeled her nerves, mentally reviewing the maze-like path to the maximum security wing from Jonathan's schematics. This was their only chance - failure was not an option.

She monitored her watch as the minutes crept by at an agonizing pace. Finally, faint shouts and shrieks erupted from the asylum, signaling Jonathan had commenced his attack. Rose quickly donned a cloth mask that covered her nose and mouth before heading inside.

Noxious green vapor filled the corridors, trailing from Scarecrow's released toxins. Guards and staff lay cowering on the floor, paralyzed by nightmare visions. Rose slipped past them and descended to the maximum security level.

Following the route Jonathan had shown her, Rose located the solid steel door to Edward's cell. She quickly disabled the lock.

The heavy door slid open with a grinding rumble. Inside, Edward leaped up from his cot, disheveled but eyes alight. "Right on schedule! I knew you wouldn't let me down."

Rose rushed forward to embrace him fiercely. Edward held her tight, savoring the blissful contact after weeks apart. "As much as I'd love to linger, we should make our escape swiftly, my dear," he urged gently.

Staying low beneath the vapor clouds, they retraced Rose's steps upstairs. They had almost reached the exit when a dark shape materialized from the haze.

"Where do you think you’re going?" Batman growled, blocking their path. He stepped forward menacingly.

"It seems the guest of dishonor has arrived," Edward quipped. He grabbed Rose's hand. "This way, quickly!"

They sprinted down an adjacent hall with Batman in pursuit. Edward led them through a maze of corridors, trying to lose their pursuer. But the Dark Knight was relentless.

He suddenly dropped from the ceiling in front of them again. "End of the line, Nygma," Batman declared. 

Edward whispered hurriedly to Rose, "I'll distract him - make a run for the exit!" Then he turned to Batman with a dramatic flourish. "You'll find I'm full of surprises!"

With the vigilante's focus on Edward, Rose slipped away unseen and burst outside into the fresh night air. She removed the cloth mask from her face, gasping deeply as the cool air filled her lungs. 

Rose spotted Jonathan idling nearby in his car, as planned. She gave him a subtle hand signal to indicate their initial success before climbing into the passenger seat.

Moments later, Edward came tearing out a side entrance with Batman on his heels. "Punch it, Crane!" Edward yelled, diving into the backseat. Jonathan hit the gas, tires squealing as they peeled away.

Rose helped Edward sit up, clasping his hand fiercely with relief. His cunning had won out once more. Arkham now faded behind them as Edward caught his breath.

"My compliments to you both on a plan well executed," he said with a roguish grin. "Now, I suggest we head back to my lair to recover and prepare our next move."

As they sped through Gotham's streets, Rose soon heard the roar of an approaching vehicle - the distinct rev of a powerful motor.

"It seems we have company," said Edward grimly, peering out the rear window. 

Gaining on them was the silhouette of the Batmobile, shrouded in dust clouds.

"Can't this thing go any faster?" Rose urged Jonathan anxiously.

"I'm afraid this model wasn't designed for high-speed getaways," he replied. 

Still, Jonathan expertly navigated tight turns and weaved through traffic, trying to lose their pursuer.

But the Batmobile tracked them relentlessly, inching ever closer. As it pulled alongside, Rose got a glimpse of Batman's cowled visage behind the wheel, his mouth set in a determined line.

"He's trying to force us off the road!" Edward warned as the Batmobile nudged their bumper menacingly. "We need to take drastic measures to shake him!"

Jonathan's gaze flicked to the satchel at Rose's feet - the one carrying his fear toxin canisters. "Use those on him when I get close enough," he instructed. "They should provide adequate distraction."

Rose unzipped the bag hastily as the Batmobile slammed into them again. Edward joined her, prepping the pressurized canisters. 

They waited tensely as Jonathan matched the Batmobile's speed. When they were alongside the vigilante again, Jonathan yelled, "Now!" 

As Jonathan held the wheel steady, Edward grabbed a canister of fear toxin and blasted it out the window at Batman's vehicle. The Batmobile swerved and spun out, enveloped in the green vapor.

"Direct hit!" Edward cheered.

Jonathan turned them down a cramped side street and cut the engine, letting the car coast silently into a deserted alley to hide. They all held still, waiting breathlessly.

After five agonizing minutes with no sign of the Batmobile, Jonathan cautiously started the car again.

"I believe we've eluded him for the moment, but we should split up now in case he tracks us," Edward suggested.

Jonathan dropped them off near the Narrows. As he drove away, Edward flagged down a taxi to take them safely back to his hideout.

Finally relaxing against the seat, Rose entwined her fingers with Edward's. "We make an unstoppable team," she said proudly.

Edward grinned roguishly. "No prison can hold me when you're involved, my dear."

The taxi wound through Gotham's streets until it reached the nondescript building that served as Edward's secret hideout. Rose eagerly followed him inside down to the spacious basement lair.

Finally, alone, Edward drew her into his arms. "Having you by my side again is the greatest prize of all," he murmured, caressing her cheek.

Rose smiled up at him tenderly. "I'll never let them take you away from me again," she vowed, lacing her fingers behind his neck.

Edward's keen green eyes gazed at her with devotion. "Oh, my clever Rose. However, did I survive before you?"

He lowered his mouth to hers in a passionate kiss. Rose sighed blissfully, melting against him as their lips moved together hungrily, making up for lost time.

When they finally parted for air, Edward took her hand. "Come, there's much for us to...catch up on." His eyes gleamed with promise.

Rose let out a tiny gasp as Edward swept her into his arms. He carried her down the hall to his bedroom, laying her gently on the soft mattress. Edward joined her, caressing her cheek tenderly. 

"I've missed you dearly, my darling Rose," he whispered. 

She sighed contentedly as their lips met once more in a passionate embrace. Clothes were quickly discarded as the two lovers reveled in reuniting intimately after so long apart. 

Breathless and sated, Rose curled into Edward's side as his arms encircled her protectively. She fell into a blissful sleep, safe and happy at long last in the arms of the man she loved.

0