Chapter 8 – The Iceberg Lounge
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been two weeks since Rose successfully broke Edward out of Arkham Asylum with Jonathan's help. While elated to have her boyfriend back, Rose knew Edward needed to lay low to avoid capture. His hideout deep in the Narrows provided the perfect spot to hole up until the heat died down.

Eventually, Edward grew increasingly restless being cooped up in the hideout day after day. He longed to get back to matching wits with Batman and celebrating their victory properly out on the town.

"This dreary confinement is crushing my spirit," Edward complained bitterly one evening as they ate a modest dinner. "I need stimulation!"

"I know this isn't ideal, but Batman will be watching closely for any signs of your return," Rose said gently. "We just need to be patient a little longer before making any public moves."

Edward sighed dramatically. "I suppose you're right. I simply abhor stagnation - my mind demands constant challenge and new schemes!"

Rose gave him a sympathetic smile. She hated to see him so frustrated and knew he was eager to resume his criminal pursuits. But the risk of being caught again was too great.

Then an idea came to her. "What if we went somewhere public, but a place criminals frequent? No one would look twice at us then."

Edward perked up. "Oh? And where did you have in mind, my dear?"

"The Iceberg Lounge. Since it's run by Oswald, we'd blend right in with the rogues there," Rose suggested.

A grin spread on Edward's face. "What a splendid idea! Very well, we shall have our clandestine rendezvous there this weekend."

Rose smiled, happy to see him enthusiastic again. "Great. I'll call ahead and make the arrangements with Oswald."


Finally, Saturday arrived. Rose took extra care getting ready, wanting to look her best for Edward. She chose her favorite emerald green cocktail dress. After doing her makeup in subtle smokey tones, Rose gave herself a final once over in the mirror with a smile.

Grabbing her clutch, she headed outside to where Edward was waiting impatiently. His eyes lit up at the sight of her.

"You look ravishing, my dear," he said, giving her a quick peck on the lips.

Rose smiled softly, feeling lucky to have such an intelligent and handsome man as her boyfriend. Her eyes traced appreciatively over Edward's sharp black suit, lingering on the question mark tie that was so uniquely him.

"Are you ready to go?" Edward asked, offering his gloved hand.

Rose accepted with a smile, slipping into the passenger seat of his car.

Pulling up outside the Iceberg Lounge, Rose could hear the muted thump of music inside. Now that they had arrived, she felt anxious about being surrounded by so many dangerous criminals.

"Remind me why I suggested this again?" she asked nervously, glancing at the foreboding entrance.

Edward laughed and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "You wanted to get me out of my hideout, and I appreciate that greatly. Don't fret, my dear Rose. This is the one place where we can blend in seamlessly among fellow rogues without worrying about the law. As long as we keep to ourselves, no one will pay us any mind."

Rose took a deep breath, bolstered by his confidence. She had to admit, it was thrilling to be going somewhere new and risky together. And Edward desperately needed intellectual stimulation before he spiraled further into gloom.

"You're right. We're just another couple out for the night. I'm sure it will be fun,” she said.

Edward grinned. "That's my brave girl. Now come, let's celebrate our victory properly at last!"

Rose took a deep breath before exiting the car. Inside, the Iceberg Lounge was dimly lit, with ornate ice sculptures casting fractal reflections across the walls.

A portly man stood near the entrance, dressed sharply in a three-piece suit and top hat. Even in the low light, his steel gray eyes seemed to glint keenly beneath arched brows.

"Ah, Oswald! Always a pleasure," Edward grinned, waving to catch the man's attention.

Oswald turned, the monocle in his right eye flashing. "Well if it isn't Edward Nygma. A pleasure as always."

"Table for two please, my good man," Edward replied cheerfully.

Oswald nodded respectfully. "Of course. Right this way." He led them to a secluded booth, slickly navigating between tables.

Rose breathed a sigh of relief, relaxing into the plush seats. Their location afforded a perfect view of the venue without being right in the thick of things. Servers weaved gracefully between tables bearing sparkling cocktails and lavish appetizers.

Edward gazed at her adoringly. "See, what did I tell you? A night of sophisticated decadence without a care in the world. Though you already outshine any lady here by a wide margin, my darling."

Rose blushed prettily at Edward's compliment. "You do know how to make a girl feel special," she said with a shy smile. "I must admit this place has its charms."

They made pleasant small talk over succulent seafood platters, savoring each other's company without worry of eavesdroppers. Rose laughed at Edward's witty stories and jokes, feeling herself unwind further by the minute.

Musicians struck up a slow jazz number, a sultry saxophone accompanied by piano and bass. Couples began drifting to the dance floor in each other's arms.

Edward stood and extended a hand with a courteous bow. "May I have this dance, m'lady?"

Rose hesitated. "I, um, don't actually know how. Dancing was never really my thing."

Edward's eyes lit up at the challenge. "Not to worry, I'm an excellent instructor.”

His confident grin eased her nerves. Rose knew Edward would never let her look foolish or lose her footing.

"Alright, for you I'll give it a try,” she said, taking his hand as he led her out.

Facing one another, Edward drew her close but left space for movement.

"Just follow my lead. Place your hand on my shoulder and relax," he instructed gently. His other hand found the small of her back supportively.

Rose did as told, trying not to overthink each minuscule motion as they began swaying together. Edward moved with natural grace, rhythmic as the music.

"Don't look at your feet. Keep your eyes on me and feel the beat," he encouraged, flashing a warm smile. His green gaze was magnetic, helping Rose forget her nerves.

She concentrated on matching Edward's fluid steps, though she hesitated now and then when remembering moves. But he compensated smoothly, subtly readjusting their positions.

"You're doing great, my dear," Edward praised.

She beamed, confidence growing with each passing measure. Their feet moved as one across the floor in harmony.

As the final notes of the first song faded out, the next one began, slow and soulful. Edward gently pulled her closer, until her body was pressed lightly to his. Rose responded by moving her hands up to clasp together behind his neck.

They were so close now she could detect Edward's spicy cologne mingling with the faint scent of his hair gel. Being this close while dancing made Rose's pulse race. She was sure Edward could feel it too when her wrist touched his neck.

But if he noticed, he gave no indication. His half-lidded gaze remained locked with hers as they swayed slowly. Once or twice his eyes flicked down to her lips, making Rose's breath catch. She wondered if he wanted to kiss her. The thought made her tingle with anticipation.

But Edward simply smiled tenderly and continued leading her around in graceful turns timed to the music. His confidence and poise while dancing reminded Rose of his equal grace while enacting brilliant schemes. Her clever boyfriend certainly had many talents.

"You're an excellent dancer," Rose said, meeting his eyes. "I'm lucky to have such a talented partner."

Edward grinned, pleased by the compliment. "Why thank you, my dear. I'm happy to share my skills with someone who appreciates them."

As the song wound down, Edward kept her close as the next one began. Rose smiled and rested her cheek against his shoulder, cherishing their closeness. She breathed him in, savoring his closeness and the sensation of his hands caressing her back gently in time to the music.

Edward turned his head until his cheek rested against her hair. Rose smiled blissfully, overwhelmed with emotion. No other man had ever made her feel this safe, this cared for. Her heart swelled, filled to bursting with love for the brilliant man holding her in his arms.

She lifted her head to gaze at him. Edward regarded her tenderly, one hand coming up to tuck back a lock of hair that had fallen across her face. His fingertips lingered, tracing the line of her jaw before withdrawing.

"Have I mentioned how lucky I am to have you in my life?" Edward murmured. His voice was hushed but fervent.

Rose's eyes prickled with tears of joy. "I'm the lucky one," she whispered. "I never dreamed I could be this happy."

Edward's eyes glistened. "My dear Rose..."

He leaned in slowly. Rose's heart raced as she tilted her face up, lips parting in anticipation. Edward's lips met hers in a soft, tender kiss that made her knees weak. She slid her hands up into his hair, pulling him closer as the kiss deepened romantically.

After a blissful moment, they parted just enough to catch their breath, foreheads touching. Rose gazed into Edward's eyes, seeing her own euphoria reflected there.

"I love you, Edward." she breathed, meaning it with her entire being.

Edward stroked her cheek reverently. "And I love you, my darling, Rose. More than I ever thought possible."

He drew her close again, their lips meeting in a series of sweet kisses as the music played on around their perfect moment.

Lost in their tender moment, Rose and Edward were unaware they were being watched. A tall, blonde man in an impeccable blue trench coat observed them curiously from across the club. With swift strides, he approached the enamored couple.

"Well, well, if it isn't the Riddler, out and about again," the man declared dramatically.

Edward and Rose jumped apart in surprise.

"Why Jervis, what an...unexpected pleasure," Edward said through gritted teeth.

"And who might this lovely woman be?" the man called Jervis asked, grabbing Rose's hand and bowing deeply to kiss it before she could react.

"Er, I'm Rose," she stammered, caught off guard by the eccentric stranger.

"Rose! A name as lovely as its owner," Jervis proclaimed. He flashed a gap-toothed grin at Edward. "You've been holding out on us old boy. I never took you for a lady's man."

Edward straightened, clearly irked by the intrusion. "Yes, well, Rose and I were just on our way out actually..."

"Oh, but you simply must join me for a drink!" Jervis exclaimed. Taking Rose’s hand in his, he led her toward the bar despite her panicked glance back at Edward.

This night certainly took an interesting turn, Rose thought. But perhaps one drink with this odd gentleman who seemed to know Edward couldn't hurt. She had a feeling the rest of the evening might prove rather amusing.

Rose allowed herself to be led to the bar by the exuberant stranger who had introduced himself as Jervis. Though caught off guard by his forwardness, she was intrigued to meet one of Gotham's infamous rogues who had a history with Edward.

"The name's Jervis Tetch, my dear, though most know me as the Mad Hatter," he proclaimed with a fanciful twirl as they reached the bar. "Now what's your poison? The first round's on me!"

"Oh, um, just a rum punch please," Rose said.

As Jervis flagged down the bartender, Edward came up beside Rose possessively. "Yes, Rose and I really must be going..." he reiterated through gritted teeth.

"Nonsense! The night is still young," Jervis exclaimed. "One little drink won't hurt." He handed Rose her rum punch with a flourish.

Rose suppressed a smile at Edward's obvious annoyance and took a polite sip.

"So, how do you and Edward know each other?" she inquired.

"Oh Eddie and I go way back," Jervis said, ignoring Edward's scowl at the nickname. "We've crossed paths on many occasions over the years. I must say, it's rare to see him in the company of a lovely lady such as yourself."

Edward huffed indignantly. "Yes, well, Rose is aware of my reputation..."

Rose touched his arm. "It's ok," she said gently before turning back to Jervis. "Edward was kind enough to come to my aid when I was in a dangerous situation," she explained vaguely. "We've grown close since then. But this is my first time mingling with his...community."

"Have you not introduced her to the rest of your rogues gallery?" Jervis asked Edward in surprise. He glanced around the club. "We must remedy that posthaste!"

Edward pinched the bridge of his nose in irritation, but Rose stifled a giggle. She found Jervis rather amusing and also fascinated to observe one of Gotham's "criminally insane" up close.

"Let's see, who's here tonight..." Jervis mused, peering around the club. "Ah, yes! Come meet Harvey m'dear, you simply must."

Before she knew it, Rose was being whisked away again, Edward trailing reluctantly behind.

They approached a scarred man nursing a whiskey. Though half his face remained handsome, the other was a disfigured mess.

"Harvey, I'd like you to meet Rose," Jervis said cheerily.

Harvey looked up, his mismatched eyes lingering on Rose. "Pleasure." His rough voice sent a chill down her spine.

Unsure of etiquette in the den of criminals, Rose gave a small smile. "Hi Harvey, nice to meet you."

Without a word, Harvey slid a barstool out for her with his foot. Rose sat down gingerly. An awkward silence fell as Harvey started idly flipping a coin through his fingers.

"That's a neat coin trick," she commented, trying to draw him out. "Were you a magician before...all this?"

Harvey's lip curled in a bitter grin. "Something like that. Harvey Dent, Gotham's White Knight, they used to call me. Back when I was the DA trying to clean up this hellhole."

He took a brooding swig of whiskey. "Lot of good that did me in the end."

Rose listened intently as Harvey told cynical tales of his glory days bringing criminals to justice in Gotham. She could see hints of the noble man he once was behind the jaded ruin.

"It takes a lot of courage to stand up to corruption the way you did," Rose said gently. "This city needs more men like you were, Harvey."

Something flickered in Harvey's eyes at Rose's gentle words. But before he could respond, Jervis was whisking her away again, on to the next rogue introduction.

"Quickly now, there are so many fascinating scoundrels here you simply must meet!" he exclaimed.

Rose glanced back apologetically at Harvey's lone figure at the bar before letting herself be led into a booth tucked in the back corner. Jervis gave an elaborate bow as they approached.

"Esteemed ladies, allow me to introduce Miss Rose, a new friend of mine."

Rose took in the booth's occupants - one had vivid red hair and an alluring beauty, the other a spirited blonde with her hair in playful pigtails. They sized Rose up with thinly veiled curiosity.

"Well aren't you just precious!" the blonde squealed, popping up to grab Rose's hand and shake it vigorously. "Name's Harley, charmed I'm sure."

The redhead offered a languid hand of her own with a smirk. "Poison Ivy. Can't say we've seen you around before, Rose was it?"

"That's right, I'm new to uh...this circle," Rose explained, glancing back uncertainly at Edward waiting nearby.

Harley pulled Rose down into the booth eagerly. "Oooh a newbie, how exciting! Red and I just love meeting fresh faces."

Ivy smiled indulgently at her companion before turning her piercing gaze on Rose again. "What brings a nice girl like you to a place like this?"

"I'm actually here with my boyfriend, Edward," Rose replied.

Ivy raised a delicate eyebrow. "Edward? I wasn't aware our resident Riddler had a new lady friend."

"Oooh, you and Eddie, eh?" Harley interjected with a grin. "He sure knows how to pick 'em!"

Rose smiled, hoping they wouldn't disapprove of her unconventional choice of a boyfriend. But to her relief, Ivy merely looked amused.

"How very interesting. I never pegged Nygma as the romantic type. You'll have to tell us how you managed to tame that eccentric brain of his."

Rose smiled. "He's always been a perfect gentleman with me. We just...connected right away. I guess even infamous rogues can have a softer side."

"Aw, ain't that sweet!" Harley crooned. "Our Eddie's got himself a real keeper."

Ivy smirked. "He may put on the swagger, but I suspect you're right about a sentimental side buried in there somewhere. Not many can handle his particular brand of genius intellect."

"Do you two go way back with him as well?" Rose asked curiously.

"Oh sure, we've worked together on plenty of schemes and heists over the years," Harley said, Ivy nodding in agreement. "He may be a narcissist but Eddie's got skills, I'll give him that. Always good for a diversion or two when needed."

Before Harley could elaborate further on their criminal past adventures with the Riddler, Jervis suddenly gasped dramatically. All eyes turned to the distressed man.

"Goodness, I've been utterly remiss! You ladies must be simply parched. Allow me to fetch you a round of drinks."

Without waiting for a response, Jervis bustled off toward the bar. The women shook their heads in amusement at his antics before turning back to continue their discussion.

A moment later Jervis returned balancing three colorful cocktails. "Your refreshments, my dears!"

Rose accepted hers with a polite smile. She took a tentative sip of the fruity concoction. It was quite strong but tasty.

"Mmm, delicious. Thank you," she said.

Jervis seemed pleased, chatting away merrily. Rose hoped the rest of this eventful evening continued going smoothly. But with Edward watching protectively from nearby, she felt reasonably safe despite the unpredictable company.

"Oh goodness, look at the time! I really must be showing this lovely young lady around to the rest of our set," Jervis exclaimed after a bit, taking Rose's arm.

She bid her brief companions goodbye as he steered her away once more into the crowded lounge.

Edward intercepted them instantly, face tight. "I think that's quite enough frivolity for one night, don't you?" He tried ushering Rose firmly towards the exit.

"Now see here, I've not yet introduced her to our gracious host!" Jervis objected. Before either man could stop him, he was calling out loudly across the club.

"Oswald my fine fellow! You must come to meet the divine Miss Rose at once!"

From his seat in a lavish central booth, the rogue known as Penguin glanced over irritably. But seeing Jervis's eager waving, he relented and made his way over with the aid of an umbrella cane.

"Jervis. I see you've brought a new admirer into our midst," he remarked, sharp gaze fixing on Rose in assessment. Despite his diminutive size, he had a commanding presence.

Taking Rose's hand, he brushed his lips lightly over her knuckles. "Oswald Cobblepot, dear lady. I own this fine establishment."

"It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Cobblepot," Rose replied politely.

"Please, call me Oswald. Everyone does," he said with a thin smile.

Behind her Edward bristled, clearly impatient to depart, though reluctant to cause a scene.

Sensing his discomfort, Rose turned to Oswald apologetically. "Thank you for the warm welcome, but I'm afraid I've taken up too much of your time and should be on my way."

Oswald nodded, glancing between the two men vying for her attention curiously. "Of course. You are welcome in my club anytime, Rose. Perhaps we shall speak again under more felicitous circumstances."

With an inscrutable glance at Edward, he turned and made his way back through the crowds.

Rose exhaled, turning to face Edward and Jervis warily. But to her surprise, Edward merely smiled.

"Come along my dear, let's get you home." He took her hand pointedly.

But Jervis grabbed her other hand in protest. "Surely you aren't whisking away my new friend so soon! There are still so many amusements to enjoy here."

Edward's grip on Rose tightened. "Let go of her Jervis," he warned in a dangerous tone.

But the incorrigible rogue just giggled.

Sensing rising tensions, Rose gently extracted herself from both their grasps. "Thank you for the introductions Jervis, it was lovely to meet you all," she said smoothly. "But Edward's right, it's getting late and we should be going."

Looking slightly crestfallen, Jervis relinquished his hold. "Very well, but you must come again soon!"

Taking Edward firmly by the hand, Rose steered them towards the exit before anyone else could waylay them. She could feel the tension radiating off of him.

Once outside in the cool night air, Edward turned to her agitatedly. "My deepest apologies for that dreadfully boorish spectacle. I should never have allowed Jervis to abscond with you..."

Rose silenced him by placing a finger gently over his lips. "It's alright Edward. This night has been full of surprises, but I had fun." She smiled up at him reassuringly.

Edward searched her face warily. "You're not cross with me?"

"Of course not," Rose said sincerely. Going up on her toes, she gave him a tender kiss.

Edward relaxed into it, the remaining tension easing from his frame. When they finally parted, his usual charming grin had returned.

"Remind me again why I don't deserve you?" he murmured, caressing her cheek.

Rose just laughed. Taking his hand, they strolled together under the streetlights back to where he had parked. It had been an eventful evening at the Iceberg Lounge, but she was simply happy to be alone with Edward again.


The ride back to Rose's apartment was quiet but comfortable. Edward kept one hand on the wheel, while his other hand held Rose's over the center console. Now and then he brought her hand to his lips for a soft kiss, sneaking glances at her as if to reassure himself she was really there.

Rose gazed out the window contentedly, replaying the evening's events in her mind. She was relieved their dramatic night had ended without incident after Jervis' intrusion. A warm feeling washed over her knowing Edward had been so protective. She gave his hand an appreciative squeeze.

When they arrived at her building, Edward parked and escorted her upstairs.

Pausing at the door, Edward turned to Rose uncertainly. "Would you...mind if I came in for a bit? I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to you yet," he admitted with a crooked smile.

Rose smiled and drew him inside by the hand. "I was hoping you'd want to stay the night," she said coyly, locking the door behind them.

Once inside, she slipped off her heels with a relieved sigh, padding into the bedroom. Behind her, Edward's arms encircled her waist as he gently kissed her bare shoulder. His hands found the zipper of her dress, slowly lowering it as his lips grazed the nape of her neck.

Rose turned in his arms, desire burning in her gaze. She loosened his tie and pushed off his suit jacket, fingers working the buttons of his shirt. Piece by piece, their clothing fell away until it was just skin on skin.

Edward's heated gaze took her in hungrily before he scooped her up and carried her to bed, laying her down reverently among the pillows. He hovered over her, green eyes drinking in every detail as if trying to commit this moment to memory.

"You are so beautiful," he murmured. Dipping his head, he captured her lips in a passionate kiss that left her dizzy and breathless.

His lips began to wander, worshipping every inch of her. Trailing kisses down her neck, he lingered at her collarbone, nipping gently. His hands caressed her curves tenderly before his mouth continued its descent.

Rose arched into his touch, sighing his name in euphoria as she threaded her fingers through his hair.

When his kisses reached the inside of her thigh, Rose's pulse was racing wildly. As his mouth found her center, her back arched sharply off the bed, hands twisting in the sheets. She was utterly lost in bliss.

He brought her to the edge again and again with lips, tongue, and fingers, keeping her teetering at the precipice until she was nearly sobbing his name. Only then did he finally let her tumble over, crying out hoarsely.

While she caught her breath, Edward kissed back up her body until his green eyes bored intensely into hers. Rose could feel his arousal, hard against her thigh. Reaching down, she guided him to where she ached for him.

With a guttural groan, he slid inside, filling her completely. Edward made love to her deeply, intensely, their bodies moving as one.

Rose clung to him, nails raking down his back. She could feel her pleasure building again, overwhelmed by the sensations.

"Edward...I'm close..." she gasped.

"Let go, my love," he rasped in her ear. "I'm right here with you."

They crashed over the edge as one, crying out in blissful release.

Afterward, they lay tangled together, Rose's head resting on Edward's chest listening to his racing heart gradually slow. She couldn't imagine a more perfect end to their magical evening.

0