Chapter 10 – Obsessed
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night as she lay in bed, Rose couldn't stop thinking about their encounter. On impulse, she grabbed her phone and scrolled through her old messages with Edward, heart aching.

Before she could overthink it, Rose unblocked his number. Hands shaking, she typed out a text:

"We need to talk in person. Meet me at the Gotham City Park tomorrow at noon."

She hit send quickly so she wouldn't lose her nerve. Then she silenced her phone, anxiety churning in her gut. Had she made the right choice reaching out?

The next morning Rose agonized over what to wear, changing outfits several times. She forced herself to eat a light breakfast, stomach knotted with anxiety.


When she arrived at their meeting spot, Edward was already standing there waiting, apprehension and hope on his face.

"Rose..." he breathed, taking a hesitant step closer.

"Let's sit," Rose interrupted briskly, perching on the far end of the bench. Edward sat too, watching her intently.

An awkward silence fell. Now here, Rose didn't know where to begin. Finally, she spoke hesitantly. "I got your messages and the riddles. But I wasn't ready to talk then."

Edward opened his mouth but she held up a hand. "Please, let me finish."

Taking a shaky breath, Rose continued. "Seeing you yesterday brought up a lot of emotions. I don't know if I can ever fully trust you again after...what happened. But I think we owe it to our relationship to at least hear each other out."

She met his gaze cautiously. "So talk. I'll listen with an open mind. But I can't promise anything right now."

Edward nodded slowly, considering his words.

"Rose, I was at the Iceberg Lounge that night, but not of my own free will," Edward explained. "Jervis used one of his mind control devices on me."

Edward pulled up a news article on his phone and handed it to Rose. "See here? This is what Jervis did in the past to a coworker of his."

With shaking hands, Rose scrolled through the chilling article. It described how Jervis had become obsessed with a coworker named Alice. He used a mind control chip to make her boyfriend break up with her and then he kidnapped her.

Rose’s stomach churned at the details of his sick manipulation and how he was later imprisoned in Arkham Asylum for it.

Looking up with tears in her eyes, Rose met Edward's solemn gaze. "I had no idea he was capable of something so... unhinged," she said quietly. "He seemed harmless, just an eccentric man."

Edward shook his head gravely. "I should have warned you just how dangerously fixated he can become."

A wave of nausea hit Rose as the implications sank in. To think she had started considering Jervis a friend, unaware he was controlling Edward against his will in some twisted pursuit of her.

Seeing how shaken she was, Edward quickly retrieved something else. "After you showed me those photos, I broke into Jervis's lab and stole this."

He showed her a microchip labeled "10/6", the same device described in the article about Alice.

"I tried to tell you, but you refused to speak to me," Edward said, his green eyes pleading. "Rose, I swear I would never willingly betray you. I have no memory of that night. You have to believe I was not in control of my actions."

Rose's eyes welled up with tears as she listened to Edward's explanation and saw the evidence proving Jervis had mind-controlled him. The immense relief at having confirmation that Edward hadn't betrayed her willingly was overwhelming.

"Oh Edward, I'm so sorry I ever doubted you," she cried, throwing her arms around him. "Can you ever forgive me for shutting you out when you tried to tell me the truth?"

"Shh my love, you have nothing to apologize for," Edward murmured, cradling her head against his chest. "You had every right to be hurt by what you believed you saw. I'm just thankful I could make you understand it was all Jervis's manipulation."

Rose clung to him, tears soaking into his emerald suit jacket. The pain of being apart came flooding out. She had been so lost without him.

"I missed you so much," she whispered. "My heart is yours, it always was. I feel like such a fool for letting Jervis deceive me."

Edward tilted her chin up, green eyes shining with emotion. "The only fool was me for underestimating his obsession. All that matters now is we're together again."

He lowered his mouth to hers in a kiss full of tenderness and longing. Rose poured all her pent-up love and remorse into it, needing him to understand he was her world.

They parted just enough to catch their breath, foreheads touching. "I love you, Edward. I've never stopped, not for one moment," Rose confessed fervently.

Edward's answering smile was radiant. "And I love you, Rose. Now let's never waste another day kept apart by Jervis's machinations."

Rose and Edward sat together on the bench, taking comfort in each other's embrace now that the truth was out. But lingering doubts still nibbled at the back of Rose's mind. 

"What do we do about Jervis?" she asked hesitantly. "Now that I know what he's capable of, I'm afraid of what he might do if he finds out we're together again."

Edward's expression darkened. "That degenerate has caused us both enough pain already. I say it's time we pay him a little 'visit' and ensure he won't interfere in our affairs ever again."

Rose nodded. "All right. Let's go tomorrow and face him together." 


The next evening, they drove together to Jervis's home. Rose felt anxious but steadied by Edward's reassuring presence beside her. 

Jervis answered the door still dressed in his eccentric oversized hat and blue jacket. His eyes widened in delighted surprise at seeing Rose.

"Why Rose! What a truly splendid surprise. Please, do come in won't you?"

He moved to usher her inside eagerly but paused seeing Edward glowering behind her.

"You," Jervis hissed, smile morphing into a scowl. He attempted to slam the door but Edward wedged his cane firmly in the gap.

"Now, now Jervis, is that any way to treat guests?" Edward tutted, forcing his way inside along with Rose.

"You are no guest of mine!" Jervis sputtered, glaring venomously at Edward. "I thought I had made it clear Rose wants nothing more to do with a scoundrel like you."

Rose crossed her arms, leveling Jervis with an icy look. "That's where you're wrong. We know exactly what you did, Jervis."

His pupils contracted nervously, but he kept up the innocent act. "Whatever do you mean my dear? I've only ever tried to help mend your broken heart-"

"Enough!" Edward thundered, pounding his cane violently. "We know you used your mind control device on me."

Jervis paled but forced an unhinged little giggle. "Preposterous! I would never use Rose that way!"

"It's over, Jervis," Rose said coldly, moving closer to Edward. "We found one of your chips. We know you brainwashed Edward to stage those photos to break us up."

Jervis's whole demeanor changed, face contorting in rage. "It was working perfectly until this snake slithered back into your life!"

He turned to Rose beseechingly, grasping her hands in his gloved ones. She recoiled but he clung tightly. "Don't you see? I did it for us, Alice! He never deserved you, but I do!"

Edward ripped Jervis away from Rose with a snarl. "Don't touch her!" He slammed him against the wall, cane cutting off his airway.

Rose quickly helped pull Edward back before he did something dangerous. She had never seen such murderous fury contort his handsome features.

"Leave...Gotham," Edward panted harshly. "Because if you ever go near Rose again, I'll end you."

He took her hand, leading them away. At the door, Rose glanced back at where Jervis cowered, gulping for air, his obsession finally revealed. She felt only cold pity for the pathetic man.

Outside, Edward drew her into a fierce embrace. "It's over now, love. You'll never have to see that deranged fungus again."

Rose clung to Edward, relief washing over her that her ordeal was finally over. Though a wary voice in the back of her mind wondered - was Jervis truly gone for good?


As the week progressed, that wariness gradually faded. Rose felt more at ease; perhaps Jervis had gotten the message loud and clear. By Friday evening, she stepped wearily but optimistically into her apartment after work, looking forward to a quiet night snuggled up with Edward.

Kicking off her heels, Rose reached to flick on the lights, only to find the switches unresponsive. 

"Ugh, power outage," she muttered. But then soft music met her ears - strange, had she left a stereo on?

Heart pounding, Rose cautiously crept down the hall. Her breath caught in her throat at the sight of her living room transformed. Dim candlelight flickered over elaborate flower arrangements and two place settings at the table laid out with fine china.

"What on earth..." Rose gasped. Had Edward planned some romantic surprise?

"There you are, my dear! I'm so pleased you've finally arrived."

Rose's blood turned to ice. That theatrical, lilting voice was unmistakable. Whirling around, she came face to face with Jervis Tetch.

"Surprised to see me?" he laughed gleefully at her stunned expression. "I must apologize for the necessary subterfuge. But I knew you'd never accept my dinner invitation after that dreadful business with Nygma."

Rose backed away slowly as Jervis advanced. "You need to leave. Now," she said shakily. "Haven't you caused enough damage already?"

Jervis's expression softened. "Oh Alice, I know we've had our misunderstandings. But can't you see this is our chance for a fresh start?" His eyes pleaded with her earnestly.

"Why do you keep calling me Alice?" Rose interrupted. "My name is Rose - you know that! What makes you think I want anything to do with you after what you've done?"

Jervis looked stricken like her words had pierced his delusional bubble for a moment. But then he shook his head, the deranged smile returning.

"Now, now, no need to fuss!" he tutted. "This is our wondrous chance for a new beginning!"

He moved towards her, but Rose stood her ground this time. "I said leave!" she shouted. "I won't be part of your sick fantasy!"

Sighing, Jervis produced a chloroform-soaked rag. "Forgive me my dear, but this is for your own good."

Rose scarcely had time to draw breath to cry out before he clamped the rag over her mouth and nose. The chemical stench overwhelmed her senses. Her limbs grew weaker no matter how she struggled until everything faded into darkness.


When Rose slowly regained consciousness, the first thing she noticed was a pounding ache in her head. Blinking to clear her bleary vision, she realized she was seated at the head of a long table, her arms and torso bound tightly to a chair with thick rope. Confused, she took in her bizarre surroundings.

She was in a large warehouse space transformed into a gaudy imitation of the Mad Hatter's tea party. The table displayed a chaotic assortment of floral teacups, plates, and dishes heaped with sandwiches, scones, and sweets.

Bouquets of paper roses climbed the walls in vibrant colors. Banners reading “Happy Unbirthday” criss-crossed overhead, intertwined with strings of colorful lantern lights. Giant topiaries of hearts, spades, and clubs lined the room’s perimeter. 

Hearing Rose stir, Jervis approached her seat excitedly. “Alice! So glad you’re awake!”

Rose yanked violently at the ropes in fresh panic. "Let me go, Jervis!" she pleaded. "People will be looking for me!"

Jervis tutted. "Looking for you? My dear, as far as the rest of Gotham knows, you've simply run off with your charming new beau." He gave her a deranged little wink.

Rose felt sick. Would anyone even realize she was missing?

"After all," Jervis continued lightly, "what reason does anyone have to suspect foul play? I've been the very picture of a doting gentleman pursuing your affections."

He wasn't wrong - she had allowed Jervis to keep up his harmless pretense for too long. Rose cursed herself for not reporting his disturbing behavior sooner.

"Now then, I really must be getting back to preparations for this evening," Jervis said briskly. "We have ever so much to celebrate!"

He sauntered off, humming cheerfully under his breath and leaving Rose alone with her desperate thoughts. She had to find some way to get word to Edward or escape herself before Jervis came back.

Struggling fiercely against the ropes, Rose only succeeded in scraping her wrists raw. She looked wildly around for anything within reach that could help free her but found nothing.

Slumping back in defeat, Rose's panic rose. Would Jervis come back and force her into some demented relationship fantasy? The thought made her shudder. She couldn't give up hope Edward would realize something was wrong.

As time went on, Rose was bordering on frantic. She jerked at her restraints relentlessly despite the bruises. She had to get out of here before Jervis returned!

Finally, the distant sound of a heavy door creaking open broke the silence, followed by footsteps echoing through the vast space. Rose froze, pulse racing.

Jervis appeared whistling a jaunty tune, wheeling a covered silver cart before him. He lifted the cover with a flourish, revealing an elaborate tiered cake decorated with icing roses.

"To celebrate the first night of the rest of our lives together!" Jervis proclaimed. He lovingly lit the candles atop the cake one by one, casting flickering shadows over his features.

Seeing her deranged captor preparing to live out his twisted fantasy made Rose's skin crawl.

"Please, you don't have to do this," Rose tried again desperately. "This isn't love, it's a sick obsession!"

Jervis frowned. "Come now, Alice, enough fussing. You'll see I can make you much happier than that dolt Edward ever did."

He advanced with a piece of cake speared on a fork. Rose pressed back against the chair, clamping her mouth shut and shaking her head frantically.

Jervis's expression darkened. He roughly grabbed her chin. "I said ENOUGH!" he bellowed, wrenching her jaw open. Rose whimpered as he forced the cake into her mouth.

"Chew!" Jervis commanded. "Swallow!"

Tears of rage and humiliation spilled down her cheeks, but Rose obeyed. Jervis's manic grin slowly returned as he cut another bite.

"See, that wasn't so difficult, was it? Now open up like a good girl..."

Just then a resounding bang echoed through the warehouse. Jervis froze, fork hovering in midair. "What was that?"

The door crashed open, revealing Edward looking murderous. "Get your hands off her, Tetch!" he roared.

Jervis yelped, dropping the plate of cake and scrambling back. Edward stormed towards them, green eyes blazing behind his mask.

Seeing her captor cowering in fear, a flood of relief coursed through Rose. Edward had found her! They were going to escape this nightmare.

"I-I can explain!" Jervis stammered as he backed away from Edward's wrath. "Rose and I were just celebrating our new life together!"

"By forcing yourself on her against her will?" Edward snarled. He swung his cane violently, catching Jervis hard across the jaw and knocking him out cold.

In an instant Edward was at Rose's side, deftly cutting the ropes. As soon as she was free, Rose flew into his arms.

"Oh Edward, I was so scared!" she wept. "How did you know where to find me?"

Edward crushed her protectively against his chest. "I realized something was wrong when you didn't meet me last night as planned," he murmured into her hair. "Then I saw signs of a struggle in your apartment."

He tilted her chin up, green eyes filled with anguish. "I've been tracking that lunatic nonstop to get you back safe. Can you forgive me for letting him take you, my love?"

Rose clung to him tightly. "There's nothing to forgive," she whispered. "You saved me from that madman. That's all that matters now."

Their tender reunion was suddenly interrupted by a deranged giggle.

"Did you really think it would be so easy?"

Before they could react, Jervis came charging out of the shadows, face contorted in a psychotic rage. He slammed a heavy pipe viciously across the back of Edward's head.

Edward collapsed with a guttural groan, out cold. Rose's scream lodged in her throat as Jervis turned towards her, eyes burning.

"Now my dear, shall we pick up where we left off?" he asked with a chilling pleasantness, advancing on her.

Rose backed away in terror but Jervis lunged, grasping for her. She spun out of his reach and took off running into the dim warehouse. His enraged bellow echoed behind her.

Heart pounding wildly, Rose sprinted down a narrow passage, praying for somewhere to hide. She spotted a small utility closet and wrenched the door open, squeezing inside just as Jervis's footsteps rounded the corner.

Through the crack she watched him pass, hoping he wouldn’t look in her direction.

"Alice? Where have you gone?" he called in a singsong voice that barely concealed building rage. "You shouldn't wander off my dear, this place can be dangerous!"

The door blocked her view of Edward's unmoving form. Was he even still alive? The thought made Rose sway in anguish.

After an endless stretch of listening to Jervis's retreating footsteps, Rose carefully cracked the door open. Seeing the coast was clear, she tiptoed back towards where she'd left Edward.

She didn’t make it far when a hand shot out and clamped roughly over her mouth. Rose shrieked into Jervis's palm as he yanked her against him.

"Naughty girl, running from our celebration," he scolded. 

Rose struggled to break free, but he hurled her viciously to the ground. The impact drove the air from her lungs. Before she could recover, Jervis was on top of her, pinning her down.

Rose thrashed in panic, but Jervis held firm. "Get off me!" she shrieked.

But Jervis just giggled, relishing her anguish. Straddling her to hold her still, he reached into his coat pocket, producing a blue headband like the one Alice wore in the book.

"You've given me no choice but to resort to this," Jervis leered. "But when I'm through, you'll be much more...compliant."

Jervis gripped the headband in both hands, preparing to place it on her head. However, before he could proceed, she wedged her knee up and slammed it into his groin.

He shrieked in pain, grip loosening. Rose sucked in ragged gasps, crawling out from under him. Before Jervis could grab her again, she spun and smashed her foot into his face with all her might.

Jervis howled, clutching his nose as blood gushed. Rose scrambled up, swaying violently. She had to get to Edward!

But Jervis recovered quickly. He lunged and tackled Rose from behind, causing them to crash against the hard floor. She scarcely caught her breath before his slight weight landed on top of her, thighs clamping her hips viciously.

"No!" Rose shrieked, bucking wildly, but she barely budged him.

"I’m sorry, Alice." Jervis panted, breath hot on her ear, "Let's try this again..."

She barely had time to process his words when she felt something settle lightly in her hair. Blind mounting panic consumed her as she realized he placed the headband on her. She thrashed her head wildly from side to side but Jervis held it determinedly in place.

“Be still now, it will all be over soon!” Jervis grunted from above, straining against her resistance.

Rose opened her mouth to scream but suddenly everything grew muted...distant. Against her will she felt an unnatural, sluggish sensation seep into her mind, usurping her thoughts.

Though she tried begging her limbs to keep fighting, they would no longer obey...a terrifying floating state overcame her.

And she heard as if through water Jervis’s gleeful praise: “There now, much better!” before the world faded fully away.

Giggling triumphantly, Jervis stood up and yanked Rose to her feet. He lifted her chin, gazing into her blank eyes. "You want to come to the tea party, don't you, Alice?"

Though Rose wanted to scream no, her head nodded obediently. She was helpless, trapped in her own body as Jervis manipulated her like a puppet.

He led her shuffling mechanically back to the table. "Let's pick up where we left off."

Rose couldn’t resist as Jervis guided her into a seat and proceeded to cut a slice of cake. He speared a bite on a silver fork and held it teasingly to her slack mouth.

"Go on, try it! Doesn't that look delicious?"

Against Rose's desperate internal pleas, her possessed hand slowly reached up to grasp the fork. She took a lifeless bite, tasting the rich sweetness in her mouth as she chewed.

"There now, isn't this pleasant?" Jervis crooned delightedly. He slid the cake aside and lifted the pink-flowered teapot, beginning to tilt it towards Rose's cup.

Just then a batarang whizzed seemingly from nowhere, knocking the teapot violently from Jervis's grasp. It crashed to the floor, hot tea splashing everywhere.

"What--?!" Jervis whipped around to see Batman standing in the shadows, eyes blazing.

"Enough, Tetch!" The Dark Knight growled. "Let her go before you regret it."

But Jervis merely burst into irrational giggles. "You simply don't understand!" he exclaimed. "Alice and I only want to celebrate our--"

His declaration was cut short as Batman hurled him bodily halfway across the warehouse space. Jervis slammed into a teetering pile of old wooden packing crates which promptly collapsed on top of him, eliciting a pained squeal.

Freed from the grip of his attention, Rose could only stare vacantly ahead. In her peripheral vision, she saw Batman's dark shape approach and felt him carefully remove the headband controlling her mind.

Rose blinked rapidly, awareness slowly returning. Gripping the table’s edge, she met Batman’s masked gaze as he assessed her condition.

“Are you alright, miss?”

Rose managed a small nod, still struggling to shake off the disorientation clouding her thoughts. Then in a horrible rush, it all came crashing back - "Edward!"

Ignoring Batman's outstretched hand, Rose shoved violently away from the table and raced on unsteady legs to where Edward lay motionless. She collapsed beside him, cradling his head tenderly as he gave a faint groan.

"R-rose?" he rasped in confusion. Understanding dawned across his features. "Are you alright? Where's Jervis?" He struggled to get up.

"Shh, it's over now. Batman saved us," Rose wept, holding him close. Edward relaxed in her arms, raising a trembling hand to gently wipe the tears from her battered face.

When they pulled apart, he tensed as his gaze fell on Batman standing behind them.

"Did you come to haul me back to Arkham, Bats?" he rasped, attempting his usual cocky tone but unable to keep a thread of fear from his voice.

"Not today, Nygma," Batman said grimly as he strode over to where Jervis still lay pinned under the mountain of broken crates, giggling deliriously. "I've got bigger fish to fry." He snapped handcuffs over Jervis's wrists and yanked him to his feet.

"No! I'll have you for this!" Jervis shrieked at Batman dementedly. "She's mine!"

Batman's expression was stony. "We'll see what the doctors at Arkham have to say about that."

He turned his glare back on Edward and Rose. "Get him out of here," he ordered with a jerk of his chin toward Edward. "But this is your last free pass, Nygma. Next time I catch you, it's straight back to your cell."

With that, Batman dragged Jervis away. The couple breathed a shaky sigh of relief, clinging to one another. The deranged man was finally in custody. He could never hurt them again.

After Batman disappeared with Jervis, Rose helped a dazed Edward to his feet. "Let's go home," she whispered.

Supporting him with an arm around her shoulders, she assisted the limping Edward in slipping away into the night just as the distant sounds of police sirens began to wail.

Back at Edward’s hideout, Rose gently cleaned his head wound while he held an ice pack to the lump Jervis's pipe had left. Edward winced but tried to put on a brave face.

"I should be taking care of you, after everything you endured," Edward muttered ruefully.

Rose just kissed his forehead softly. "We take care of each other," she said with a small smile.

After she had tended to him, Edward pulled Rose close, holding her as he would never let go. She went willingly into his arms, exhausted but feeling truly safe for the first time since her ordeal began.

"I thought I'd lost you," Edward admitted hoarsely. "When I saw Jervis take you, I've never been so terrified..." He clutched her tighter.

Rose cradled his head against her chest, comforting him after the trauma of her kidnapping and his attack. "Nothing could keep me from you," she whispered. "We're together now. That's all that matters."

Edward lifted his head to look at her, eyes shining with emotion. He brought his lips to hers in a kiss that conveyed all his fear of losing her, and his relief at having her back in his arms.

Rose returned his kiss with equal fervor, the passionate embrace soothing away the lingering pain and horror of Jervis's obsessive torment. The only place she wanted to be was here with Edward, the man she loved.

Finally, they had to part for air. Edward rested his forehead against hers, their racing hearts and shaky breaths gradually calming.

"I love you," Rose murmured. After being so close to losing everything, she needed Edward to know what he meant to her.

Edward exhaled shakily like those simple words had lifted the last weight from his soul. "And I love you," he breathed. "My Rose. My heart."

He brought his lips tenderly back to hers. Rose melted into his embrace, letting his love wrap her in a sense of warmth, safety, and belonging she had feared was lost forever.

The haunting memories would fade in time. What mattered now was they had survived the nightmare, together. And Rose knew without a doubt Edward was who she was meant to be with. No obsessed villain could ever tear apart a love like theirs.

0