Chapter 12 – Tensions Arise
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over the next few weeks, Rose settled happily into making Edward's hideout truly feel like their shared home. Mornings began by waking up lazily tangled together, debating crossword clues over coffee, and stealing kisses as they passed between the kitchen and living area.

Evenings brought comfort sinking into each other's arms again, talking or reading while cuddled on the couch until passions stirred once more. They built little routines and rituals that felt both brand new and comfortably familiar.

However, Rose's job at Wayne Enterprises was increasingly demanding a lot of extra hours. As part of the marketing team for billionaire CEO Bruce Wayne, there were high expectations to nail every event and campaign launch flawlessly. She didn't mind putting in the extra work to get things right, but she was regularly staying late into the evenings more than she liked.

Many evenings when Rose dragged herself home after 6 pm, Edward was there to listen without complaint as she vented about her long hours and stressful deadlines over dinner. He would run her a bath or give her a massage to help her unwind afterward.

Rose could tell he was getting increasingly frustrated hearing about how drained she felt every day. She knew he thought she was devoting too much to a company that only seemed to take more from her. Edward held back from telling her to quit, knowing her job was important to her, but his frustration with her long hours was starting to show.

This underlying tension snapped one Monday evening after Rose came home with a stress migraine raging after a day battling inflexible deadlines. All she craved was the relief of Edward’s arms around her and takeout shared in comfortable silence.

But as she shuffled inside clutching her pounding head, Edward looked up from his notebook with an animated grin. Clearly, he was bursting with excitement to share something, oblivious to her obvious agony.

“Riddle me this,” he quizzed eagerly, despite how she winced at his brightness. “I have seas with no water, coasts with no sand, towns without people, and mountains without land. What am I?”

Rose blinked slowly, letting her purse drop to the floor with a thud. She pressed both palms uselessly against her temples, trying to kickstart her fried brain cells after their marathon. Through the jackhammer throbbing she dimly registered Edward’s expectant smirk starting to falter.

He coughed, lowering his voice a notch but prompting again, “No guesses? Come now dear, it’s not very complex.”
The subtle condescension made Rose grit her teeth. The last thing she needed was one of his smug intellectual mind games when she could barely string two thoughts together.

“A map, Eddie,” Rose finally ground out through the spikes of pain. “It’s a map.”

“Correct! Now then, observe...” Edward began, a triumphant gleam in his eye as he pointed at his array of notes and blueprints scattered across the desk.

He launched excitedly into an elaborate explanation of his newest puzzle scheme involving custom satellite-projected holographic challenges across Gotham landmarks to confound Batman.

Rose could feel her headache pounding as Edward prattled on enthusiastically. She sank onto the couch with a groan, massaging her temples.

Didn't he see she was in no state of mind for this? She just wanted quiet comfort with the man she loved, not an hours-long monologue that would no doubt end with him disappearing into his workroom without a glance back at her.

When his rambling showed no signs of stopping even after her gentle attempts to redirect him, Rose felt her frustration finally boil over.

"Enough, Edward!" she snapped, sharper than intended in her weariness. "Why does everything always have to be about your obsession with the next big 'riddle' for Batman? Do my needs not matter at all to you?"

She saw Edward's mouth tighten, shoulders stiffening defensively. "Well pardon me for trying to include my partner in the unique intricacies of my work," he retorted coldly. "I wasn't aware that was such an intolerable burden."

His dismissive sarcasm ignited Rose's temper. She leapt up, anger born of exhaustion and hurt making her reckless.

"Oh yes, lucky me, what woman wouldn't want to come home after a 10-hour workday to be trapped as a one-woman audience for Edward Nygma's ego-stroking monologues!" she shouted bitterly.

She saw Edward flinch as if struck, mouth working soundlessly, but Rose was too drained to stop the torrent now.

Hugging herself tightly against the threat of tears, she choked out, "I just - I needed you tonight...not the Riddler."

Before he could respond, Rose whirled away, taking refuge in the darkened bedroom. She collapsed onto the bed, finally releasing the tears burning behind her eyes.

God, she hated fighting with Edward. But sometimes he could be oblivious to her emotional needs when he got too focused on his intellectual pursuits. She felt angry and hurt, longing for him to come comfort her.

Lost in miserable rumination, Rose almost didn't hear the hesitant tap at the door over the thunder of rain lashing the windows. She jolted up at Edward's muffled but gentle tone asking to talk.

Wiping her eyes quickly, Rose steeled herself. “Come in,” she managed unevenly, heart in her throat awaiting his reaction.

The door creaked open, silhouetting Edward's slim frame against the warmer light of the lair behind him. He hesitated on the threshold, posture uncharacteristically uncertain.

"Rose, my dear, I..." he faltered, voice hoarse with emotion. "I don't have the words to adequately apologize for letting you down tonight. You deserved my wholehearted support, and instead I...I failed you terribly."

Hearing the remorse cracking through his words melted the last of Rose's resentment. This was her Edward now coming to make things right, not the arrogance of the Riddler.

"It's ok," she sighed tremulously, holding out a hand. "I could have communicated better too. I don't want to fight, Eddie, I just want you to hold me." Her voice broke over the admission of needing his comfort and closeness.

Edward crossed the room to join her on the bed, gingerly gathering her into his arms. Rose let tears flow freely again, this time soaking into his shirt front as he cradled her gently. The solid strength and familiar scent of him was balm to her frazzled emotions.

“I’ve got you, love, just let it out,” Edward murmured, stroking her hair and back soothingly. He pressed fervent kisses to her head in silent apology.

When her tears finally slowed, Edward cupped her face, brushing the remaining drops away with his thumbs. “No more tears now,” he implored earnestly before kissing her with aching tenderness.

Rose let herself get lost in his kiss, the last lingering hurts soothed away by overwhelming love and security. They held each other close as the storm raged on outside. Rose traced idle patterns on Edward's chest, cherishing the steady thump of his heart under her palm.

"I may get obsessed trying to outwit Batman," Edward admitted into the peaceful darkness. "But never doubt that you, my Rose, are infinitely more vital to me than any clash with the caped crusader."

He tilted her chin up, moonlight catching on the sincerity in his green eyes. "I'll try to be more attentive when you need me to listen with my heart rather than my intellect," he pledged.

"I'm so sorry for snapping at you when I got home," Rose said remorsefully. "I was just overwhelmed from everything at work going wrong today. But I shouldn't have taken my awful mood out on you."

She looked down, picking idly at the bedcovers. "Forgive me?"

Edward tilted her chin back up, his expression full of compassion. "You've nothing to apologize for, my dear. I'm sorry I didn't recognize sooner how taxed you were."

He brightened then with an idea. "In fact, I insist you take a proper break this weekend off from everything. Let me whisk you away on a rejuvenating retreat, no work talk permitted!"

Rose felt her first genuine smile in hours spread across her face. A weekend alone with Edward sounded utterly perfect. She stretched up to give him a soft, grateful kiss.

"My brilliant man, how do you always know just what I need?" she murmured happily, snuggling into the crook of his shoulder. Already she could envision lazy days ahead wrapped blissfully in his arms, troubles fading away if only temporarily.

Over the next few days, Rose delighted in watching Edward meticulously plan their weekend escape together. He refused to reveal any details, wanting everything to be a surprise for her.

"Just trust me and clear your schedule for Saturday and Sunday," he insisted coyly whenever she attempted to pry out hints. His enthusiasm was adorably contagious though, making the workdays fly by rapidly for Rose.

Late Friday afternoon, as Rose tidied up her desk after another busy day, her thoughts kept drifting to the weekend ahead. Where would Edward take her? A charming bed and breakfast by the sea? A cozy cabin retreat in the mountains? The possibilities swirled endlessly in her imagination.

She looked forward to relaxing in nature with the man she loved, far from the bustle of city life. All the stresses and demands of her job would fade into the background for two blissful days. Edward always had a talent for helping her fully recharge.

With a contented sigh, Rose gathered her things to leave the office. She couldn't wait to start their romantic escape tomorrow, wondering what new adventures Edward had planned for them.

Just then her boss, Bruce Wayne appeared at her office door. "Rose, do you have a moment?"

She turned with a polite smile. "Of course Mr. Wayne." Inside she hoped this conversation wouldn't interfere with her plans.

Bruce gestured for her to sit back down. Taking a seat himself, he began apologetically, "I apologize for the short notice, but I have a favor to ask," he began.

"Our lead marketer who was scheduled to work tomorrow's gala called in sick. As you know, securing donations from our top sponsors is crucial. Your talent for charming clients and steering conversations toward philanthropic commitments would be extremely helpful."

Rose tried not to let the disappointment show. She had been counting on a romantic weekend getaway after a stressful work week.

Bruce continued, "I know this might interfere with your personal plans. Please let me know what I can do to make it up to you. The company really needs your skills at this important event."

Rose understood the gala's importance, as well as her colleague's unfortunate situation. "Of course, I'm happy to help out. Just let me rearrange a few things," she answered smoothly.

"Excellent. Thank you, Rose, I knew I could count on your dedication," Bruce said, standing to shake her hand.

Stifling a sigh as the door closed, Rose tidied up to head home. She could only hope Edward would understand delaying their trip for this work obligation she couldn't decline.


When Rose arrived home, she found Edward cheerfully packing items into a suitcase. Her heart lurched witnessing his excitement about to come crashing down.

"Ah, perfect timing my dear!" Edward called out brightly upon spotting her. "Our romantic journey kicks off momentarily, so do gather anything last minute you..."

His eager expression shifted abruptly to concern as he took in Rose's tense, miserable posture lingering silently by the door. "What is it? What's happened?" he demanded, crossing to her quickly.

Haltingly, Rose relayed the conversation with Bruce dashing their trip to instead chain her to attend the gala tomorrow. "I'm so sorry Eddie...I know how much this meant to you..." she finished despondently.

"Don't apologize, my dear. This isn't your fault," Edward soothed. He pulled Rose into a comforting embrace, stroking her hair as they stood together in weighted silence.

After a moment, Edward pulled back, surveying her face intently. "Here's what we'll do. I'll make us a lovely home-cooked meal. Then we'll have a cozy night in, just the two of us. A bubble bath, and a massage to help you relax before you have to deal with Bruce and his gala demands."

A small smile formed on Rose's lips, grateful for Edward's thoughtfulness and support. "That sounds perfect. Spending time with you is just what I need to get through this."

Edward gazed at Rose with tender affection. "Now, why don't you go draw that bath while I start on dinner? A hot soak should help ease some of the tension from your day."

Rose nodded, mustering a smile. "Thank you, Eddie. For understanding and for taking such good care of me." She gave him a lingering kiss before heading to the bathroom to run the water.

Later, Rose emerged from her long soak in the lavender-scented bathwater, wearing a fluffy white robe. She padded barefoot to the kitchen, where Edward was just plating up sautéed chicken alfredo.

"Perfect timing!" he declared with a grin.

After lighting the candles on the table, he pulled out Rose's chair for her. Over their cozy dinner, talk flowed easily about Edward's latest puzzle schematics. For a while, she could almost forget the looming event obligations.

After they finished eating, Edward led Rose to the sofa. She sighed happily as he pulled her feet into his lap and began kneading out the tension. His strong fingers found every knot, melting them away expertly.

By the time he leaned over to capture her lips in a slow, sensual kiss nearly a half hour later, Rose felt completely relaxed. She tangled a hand lazily in his hair as Edward stroked down her sides.

When they finally parted for air, he met her gaze tenderly. "Why don't you head on to bed, darling? You could use the rest before dealing with that nonsense at that gala tomorrow."

Too relaxed to argue, Rose simply nodded. After brushing her teeth she climbed under the silken sheets. Moments later, Edward joined her, folding her close against him. Content in his embrace, Rose drifted to sleep feeling ready to face tomorrow.


The next evening, Rose began getting ready for the gala. She stood in front of the full-length mirror, slowly smoothing the red fabric of her sleeveless gown down over her hips.

"Edward, could you come here?" Rose called out.

A few moments later, Edward appeared in the doorway, his eyes widening appreciatively at the sight of Rose in her gown.

"What do you think?" she asked, turning to the side to model the dress from different angles.

"You look breathtaking, my dear," he said softly. "Red is certainly your color. You will be the most beautiful woman there."

Rose's cheeks warmed under his praise. "Thank you. I'm glad you like it. Though I could use your help with the zipper now if you don't mind?" She turned, sweeping her hair over one shoulder to expose her back.

Stepping up behind her, Edward carefully drew the zipper up her back. His fingers lingered for a moment at the top before dropping a gentle kiss on her shoulder. "There, all done," he said with a smile.

Rose smiled, cheeks flushing. She leaned into him with a sigh. “Schmoozing the donor crowd is definitely less enjoyable than spending my evening here with you.”

Wrapping both arms around her, Edward propped his chin on her shoulder. “I wholeheartedly agree. Should you find yourself bored to tears, let me know. I’ll craft some clever riddles sure to restore your spark,” he offered devotedly.

Rose laughed low in her throat, imagining his entertaining puzzles passing the tedious hours. After a long, lingering kiss goodbye, she headed for the gala.


Rose glanced around the extravagant ballroom at Bruce Wayne’s mansion filled with Gotham's elite, stifling a yawn behind her champagne glass. She had plastered on her most charming smile over an hour ago to mingle with potential Foundation donors, though her facial muscles were growing weary.

In a lull between conversations, Rose retrieved her phone from her beaded clutch. She smiled seeing a new message from Edward: "A puzzle to lift your spirits, my dear. Twelve pears hanging high, twelve men passing by. Each took a pear, yet one still remained there. How can this be?"

Rose frowned in thought. Twelve pears and twelve men, yet one remained? There seemed no logical explanation. After several minutes of turning it over in her mind, she had to admit defeat.

"I surrender, Eddie. What’s the answer to this riddle?"

Moments later, her phone chimed with Edward's reply. "The answer, my clever Rose, is that one of the men was named 'One'."

She laughed in delight at the simple wordplay. Only Edward could keep her so thoroughly entertained even from afar.

Grinning, Rose slipped her phone away and stepped back into the crowd. For the next thirty minutes, she maintained focus charming potential donors, while stealing glances at Edward’s steady stream of puzzles, anecdotes, and encouragements popping up on her screen.

After securing a sizable donation from a buzzed socialite gushing over Rose's gown, she excused herself from the busy ballroom. Making her way through the ornate halls, Rose spotted an empty sitting area tucked away in a quiet corner.

She sank into the plush chair with a grateful sigh, slipping off her high heels to massage one aching foot. The relief was instant but fleeting. Rose knew only Edward's skilled hands could fully ease her tired muscles.

Taking out her phone, she typed a message:

"My feet are begging for one of your incredible foot massages after these heels. Any chance you'll still be awake for that when I get home? Xx"

Rose smiled softly to herself picturing his strong hands working away the tension of the night. Moments later, her phone buzzed with his reply:

“What need is there to wait, my dear? In fact, I believe I shall come to lend you some relief this very moment...”

Rose's brows knit in puzzlement, not following his meaning initially. Before she could even begin typing out a response seeking clarification, sudden surprised shouts echoed from the direction of the ballroom.

Curiosity ignited, Rose quickly replaced her shoes and made her way closer to inspect the source of the abrupt commotion. As she reached the grand entrance, patrons were hastily parting as an unexpected guest strode cockily through their midst.

Rose's jaw dropped in disbelief as none other than Edward himself came casually twirling his signature cane and tipping his bowler hat towards stunned benefactors. His bold emerald suit shone under the crystal chandeliers.

As he passed them, Edward tossed out quips like "My, how utterly gaudy that gown is next to the lady in red" with a roguish wink towards Rose.

Gasps followed in his wake as he circled the room appraising ties, judging eight-figure incomes, and evaluating whose plastic surgery was most convincing.

By the time Edward reached where Rose stood immobilized in her shock, over half the room was engrossed by his unexpected antics. He nimbly mounted the grand staircase until he stood prominently at the center landing.

Brandishing his signature cane, Edward addressed the captive crowd below. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen of Gotham!” he proclaimed, arms extended. “I couldn't simply stand by while you all expire of boredom. Let’s liven proceedings with some proper mental stimulation!"

As murmurs rippled through his audience, Edward sent his cane pirouetting skyward, eliciting gasps. Catching it with ease, he launched enthusiastically into showboating for the patrons below.

“Sir!” Edward exclaimed, pointing his cane towards a gentleman eyeing him skeptically. “Let’s see if that gaudy pocket square matches the intellect hiding behind that furrowed brow, shall we? Riddle me this...”

The man's eyes widened as Edward addressed him with a complex puzzle. The surrounding crowd looked on eagerly as the flustered gentleman struggled vainly to supply a solution.

“Well don’t strain yourself, old boy,” Edward finally chuckled. He continued working through the room interrogating individuals with customized brain teasers, casually twirling his cane as they fumbled.

Throughout the unexpected performance, Rose remained frozen at the edge of the stairs. One hand covered her mouth partly concealing the incredulous laughter bubbling up. Trust Edward's theatrical nature to transform even the most mundane event into his personal stage.

Yet she felt anxious at the thought that Bruce was surely on his way with security to forcibly remove her dramatic beau from the premises. If he was arrested now for crashing this event, he could end up straight back in Arkham Asylum.

Just as Rose caught sight of Bruce himself cutting through groups with a thunderous expression, she felt Edward suddenly behind her.

He pressed close to murmur slyly against her ear, “No need for dismay my dear! I’ll be slipping away swiftly as I have arrived.”

Before she could respond, Rose felt herself being nudged gently aside as six burly security guards now crowded around the stairs. But by that time, Edward had vanished from sight completely.

Dumbfounded gasps rippled through the crowd below. Bruce maintained a stony expression, clearly conveying orders to sweep the perimeter and report back any Riddler sightings immediately. As he turned to smooth over confused donors, his gaze caught on Rose hovering nervously nearby.

She offered a tense, apologetic half-smile. But Bruce's face remained impassive and unreadable as he simply strode briskly past. Rose inhaled shakily, clasping her suddenly icy fingers together in apprehension of what repercussions Monday would


The next hour passed in agonizing slow motion. Though the party gradually regained vivacity, Rose felt permeated by dread anticipating Bruce's reaction. Would he demand her resignation? Press charges against Edward?

Numerous times she found herself looking at her phone, tempted to text Edward, begging for some small reassurance everything would be okay. Yet she knew he was probably laying low after his dramatic escape just barely avoiding arrest.

Finally, close to midnight, patrons began drifting towards the coat check and valet. Plastering on a polished final smile, Rose bid goodnight to the remaining guests who hadn't witnessed the night's excitement. She dallied anxiously awaiting any word from Bruce, though was informed he had already retired for the evening and would have to wait until Monday to learn his reaction.

Worn out but still feeling restless, Rose hurried home. Her mind raced with concern for both her job and Edward's well-being as the car pulled up outside their hideout. All she wanted now was to confirm that he had made it back safely after his narrow escape.

As she made her way inside, she nearly yelped when strong hands caught her shoulders from behind. Whirling, she found herself suddenly folded against Edward's familiar solid chest. Relief flooded her system as his amused voice sounded low near her ear.

"Surprise, my dear! I thought I might await your return here safely to provide that massage I promised..."

Before she could ask any questions, Edward swept Rose into his arms. He murmured something about drawing a relaxing bath first as he carried her toward the bedroom. There, in his comforting presence, she finally found ease for her anxiously churning mind – if only for the moment – setting aside her worries about what Monday might bring.

0