Chapter 13 – Repercussions
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rose sat at her desk Monday morning, contemplating how best to describe Edward's actions to Bruce. She knew an explanation was needed, but formulating the right words seemed impossible in her frazzled state. Just as she tried to gather her thoughts, the phone abruptly rang.

"Rose, please report to my office immediately," came the unmistakably terse voice of Bruce Wayne himself.

Rose's mouth went dry as her heart began hammering. This was it - time to face the consequences she feared.

"Of...of course, I'll be right there Mr. Wayne," Rose managed unevenly. Replacing the phone with quivering fingers, she anxiously smoothed her hair and clothes in preparation to face her formidable boss.


As Rose walked down the hallway to Bruce's corner office, each step felt heavier than the last. Her mind raced with excuses and explanations, though none seemed adequate once she reached the double doors. His clipped "Enter" sent another wave of dread through her.

She opened the door hesitantly. Bruce was staring rigidly out the floor-to-ceiling windows, back turned to the door. As she walked in, he swung around slowly. The harsh set of his brows and tight mouth told Rose this meeting would bring no relief from her anxiety. Under his stern gaze, the words she had planned vanished entirely. Now there was nothing left to do but face whatever verdict he passed down.

"Please, have a seat Rose," he directed coolly. Too nervous to do more than perch on the very edge, Rose waited for the axe to fall with baited breath. She couldn't bring herself to meet Bruce's steely gaze boring into her.

"I want to discuss the...disruption that occurred during my Foundation's gala Saturday evening thanks to your apparent intimate involvement with one clearly unstable criminal." Bruce bit out the words as if they left a bitter taste.

Swallowing hard, Rose stammered "Mr...Mr. Wayne, I -"

"Do you have any concept of the damage you've caused this company?" Bruce interjected sharply. "We have a reputation to uphold. My contributors expect professionalism during elite social engagements."

He moved from behind the desk, every inch crackling with restrained frustration. "Yet I instead had my event turned into a circus sideshow. And I have you to thank for ushering one of Gotham's most narcissistic fugitives with a flair for the dramatic straight through my front door!"

Bruce waved an arm cuttingly through the air. "Now I'm left smoothing ruffled feathers of donors who may as well pull their funding after being publicly humiliated by your colorful boyfriend's antics on my staircase!"

Bruce pinched the bridge of his nose as if reigning in his temper before continuing more evenly. "I warned you that further association with wanted criminals would not be tolerated. This Riddler character has caused chaos in Gotham and eluded the police for years through his twisted games and riddles. I never imagined you would willingly endanger this company through involvement with someone so unpredictable."
He moved close, looming sternly over Rose's chair. "I lead a multi-billion dollar corporation, Rose, with an image to uphold. I refuse to have that threatened by risks from anyone unable to leave their dubious connections at home. Is my position clear?"

Rose felt herself trembling. She blinked back the stinging threat of tears at having her worst fears so sharply confirmed. In barely more than a pained whisper she implored, "Mr. Wayne... Bruce, I apologize. That was never my intention...I tried warning him..."

"Then you clearly are unable to restrain whatever obsessive urges drive men like the Riddler into reckless spectacle regardless of who they endanger." Bruce's fists clenched at his sides betraying his frustration.

Running both hands roughly through his hair, Bruce moved behind the desk once more. He avoided Rose's anguished gaze as he concluded bluntly. "Therefore, I have no choice but to terminate your employment effective immediately given liability concerns. You'll be escorted while you clear your office. Your final paycheck will be mailed this Friday."

His tone left no room for debate. The sentence had been passed swiftly and definitively. Numb, Rose simply nodded mutely and rose on trembling legs towards the doors that had just permanently closed on her career aspirations here.

She barely registered the security escort assigned to monitor her gathering her minimal personal belongings into a cardboard box before marching her mutely out past hushed stares from peers. The entire world felt muffled in cotton and blurred by tears she was barely keeping at bay.

Once she was alone in her car, Rose finally released the flood of tears she'd barely contained. Violent sobs wracked her slender frame.

Wiping her face with shaking hands, Rose forced herself to pull out onto the street before she fell to pieces completely. She felt hollowed out - every dream and prospect she had tirelessly built here was now blown away like dust.


By the time Rose dragged herself back home, nearly an hour later having circled aimlessly trying to process everything, she couldn't even muster the strength to make it past the couch. She collapsed there in an exhausted, grief-stricken heap.

Eventually Rose became vaguely aware of hurried footsteps followed by Edward dropping to his knees before where she hunched on the couch. Through swollen eyes, she took in his worried expression.

"My dear, what's happened?" Edward asked urgently, though a look of guilt crossed his face as if he already knew.

"Bruce...” Rose choked out between hiccuping cries. “He fired me. Had security escort me out like some kind of criminal all because you crashed the gala...”

Edward gently took her hands in his. "Rose, I am so incredibly sorry. What I did was reckless and inconsiderate, and it's cost you dearly. Please know that I never meant for you to face consequences for my actions."

She dissolved into incoherent sobs once more. Carefully Edward gathered her trembling body into his arms, lightly rocking her as one would a child.

"Shh, it's alright. I'm here now. It’s going to be ok." He pressed fervent kisses to her head, while she soaked his suit with grief.

Gradually Rose’s sobs slowed to occasional hiccups. She remained tightly wrapped in Edward's embrace, taking comfort from his gentle touch as he soothed her.

After a while, Edward tilted her chin up to meet his gaze. "Please forgive me, my dear Rose," he said, softly wiping her tears. "This is my fault and my burden to bear. I never wished to cause you such hurt. Let me take care of you now. How can I help ease your pain?"

She leaned wearily into his chest. "Just hold me, please."

"I’ll hold you as long as you want," Edward said, embracing her close once more. "I'm so sorry…"

Rose took a shaky breath. "I feel so lost, Eddie. How can I ever rebuild my career after this? No one will hire me with Bruce painting me as an irresponsible liability."

"Don't lose hope, my dear. This is only a temporary setback." He gave her shoulder a gentle, comforting squeeze. "We'll find a solution, I promise."

"But how? My reputation is ruined!" Rose cried, burying her face in her hands.

Edward gazed at her thoughtfully. He carefully lowered her hands from her face and held them in his own. "What if we didn't need to rely on anyone else for employment? What if we struck out on our own?"

Rose's eyebrows furrowed questioningly. "What do you mean?"

A spark of excitement entered Edward's eyes. "You and I make a great team. With our skills and ingenuity combined, I believe we could start our own successful business."

"Our own business? But what kind?" she asked hesitantly.

Edward smiled. "How does a toy and puzzle company sound? We could design all sorts of ingenious games and inventions to challenge people's minds."

Rose's eyes began to shine with interest. "That sounds like a great idea! We could come up with puzzle designs, games, and brainteasers more complex and challenging than anything else on the market."

"Exactly! We'll call it Enigma Enterprises. We can prove to Bruce and this city that we don't need him. Our success will be the sweetest revenge."

"Enigma Enterprises - I love it!" she replied, feeling her spirits lift.

Edward beamed, delighted to see her enthusiasm returning. "Then it's settled - Enigma Enterprises will be our new venture. Just imagine all the challenges we'll devise!"


Their excitement was palpable over the coming weeks as their home was filled with sketching, prototyping, and late-night brainstorming sessions. Rose poured her marketing expertise into drafting a business plan while Edward devoted all his mental prowess to puzzle designs.

Slowly but surely, their ideas started taking shape. Rose and Edward coordinated prototypes and sample toys to test among game enthusiasts. The positive feedback spurred them on, feeding their dreams of success.

Though the long hours were draining, their partnership blossomed as they challenged and inspired each other. More than once, they had to pause their work to share celebratory kisses over each new breakthrough.

They scouted empty warehouses on the east side of Gotham, eventually finding a promising space with large windows and open floors perfect for housing Edward’s inventing as well as packaging and shipping operations.

With blueprints drawn up detailing workspaces for 3D printing, engineering puzzles, and laser cutting game components, they secured a lease. Soon they were overseeing renovations and buildouts - turning the concrete shell into a brightly lit, stylish working environment with green accents and custom neon question marks designed by Edward.


When it came time to pitch investors, Edward insisted on leading the presentation - eager to demonstrate Enigma Enterprises' potential. Rose watched proudly from the side of the Iceberg Lounge as Edward enthusiastically outlined their puzzle prototypes.

His technical specifications, detailing puzzles of varying complexity, were met with enthusiastic muttering and sly smiles from the assembled rogues. It was clear Edward had their full attention and interest.

Bringing his presentation to a close, Edward concluded with theatrical confidence. “Just imagine the possibilities as we expand operations through additional research funds.” He gestured around the room expansively. “We'll drive innovation to new levels. Bruce Wayne and his stuffy corporation won't know what hit them!”

Puffing on his long cigarette holder pensively, Oswald Cobblepot leaned back in his chair and steepled his fingers. “An excellent pitch indeed, old friend. I too have scores to settle with Wayne and his chokehold on Gotham’s economy.”

He signaled to an attendant who quickly handed Edward an engraved check with far too many zeros. “Consider your enterprise seed funded - I eagerly await the fruits of your tinkering cutting into Wayne Enterprise profits!”


With their new headquarters set up and an influx of funding, Edward and Rose eagerly dove into making Enigma Enterprises a reality. They began hiring a small staff of henchmen from Edward's past schemes to handle product assembly, packaging, and shipping. While many had originally signed on for the Riddler's criminal plots, the chance to pivot toward legitimate business - with a regular paycheck - quickly won their loyalty.

During the days, Edward could be found in his dedicated inventing studio, laser-cutting custom puzzle pieces and assembling prototype games to expand their catalog. Though the workspace was meticulously organized with bins of components and schematics lining the walls, his exuberant creative process often left him covered in dust and disheveled by the afternoon.

Rose handled branding, marketing, and sales from her office just down the hall. There were supplier meetings, trademark registrations, photography sessions showcasing products, and initial contract pitches to local toy stores. Their first big order from a quirky boutique came through after the owner, fond of Edward's roguish charm from his Riddler heyday, took a chance on stocking Enigma's puzzles aimed at adults.

By nightfall most days, they'd end up exhausted together on the couch, opting for takeout instead of cooking. They'd talk through successes or troubleshoot issues over sweet and sour chicken, the company never far from their minds even during downtime.


"I'm thinking of developing a line of custom jigsaw puzzles next..." Edward murmured one evening as they relaxed wrapped in each other's arms. "Client submitted personalized designs transformed into one thousand pieces of torment! We could charge a premium..."

Rose smiled indulgently as she brushed back an unruly auburn lock that had fallen across his forehead, her fingers lingering to comb through his hair. "Tormenting people with puzzles again, Eddie?" she teased lightheartedly. "At least it's legal this time."

"What can I say, it's in my nature to puzzle and perplex," Edward replied with a shrug and grin. "But I think people will pay good money to really challenge themselves or stump their friends and rivals. And it's a business we can expand - custom orders, monthly puzzle subscriptions, puzzle boxes with hidden compartments. The possibilities are endless!"

Rose leaned in to press a kiss on his cheek. "I have no doubt you'll make puzzles just frustrating enough to keep customers coming back for more."

Edward grinned at her confidence in him. "With that challenge in mind, I may have to spend all night designing the prototypes," he joked.

Rose chuckled. "As ambitious as you are, Eddie, even you need rest eventually. Why don't we call it a night for now?" She stood and took Edward's hand, tugging him up gently from the couch.

He rose, squeezing her hand affectionately before they made their way to bed, ideas and plans swirling as they drifted off to sleep, excited for the new ventures ahead.

0