Chapter 14 – Romantic Surprise
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the months since they established Enigma Enterprises, Rose and Edward's puzzle business had taken off even faster than they anticipated. With Edward's creative genius matched by Rose's sales and marketing skills, their products were flying off the shelves and racking up a dedicated online following.

Late one Friday evening, the couple was working side by side in their headquarters. Edward was absorbed in tinkering with a new logic puzzle prototype at the workshop table while Rose finalized orders and invoices at her makeshift desk nearby.

As 11 PM approached, Rose felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. She turned to see Edward gazing down at her warmly.

"You've been working nonstop all day, my dear," he said. "Why don't you call it a night?"

Rose sighed, running a hand through her hair. "There's just so much to get done before the weekend orders ship out. I want to make sure everything is in place."

"It can wait until morning," Edward assured, beginning to gently massage the tension from her shoulders. "Besides, I have a special surprise planned for you that I think you'll enjoy."

Intrigued, Rose swiveled her chair to face him. "A surprise? What is it?"

"Now if I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?" Edward chided playfully.

"Oh come on, just a little hint?" Rose pleaded, batting her eyelashes.

Edward chuckled, leaning down to plant a swift kiss on her forehead. "Not a chance, my dear. You'll find out soon enough." Taking her hands, he gently pulled her up from the chair. “For now, let’s go home and get some rest.”

Rose pouted in exaggerated disappointment but allowed him to draw her to her feet. As they tidied up their workspace before leaving for the night, the anticipation swirled within her. What kind of surprise could Edward possibly have planned?


Rose woke up to the smell of waffles and the sound of Edward cheerily whistling in the kitchen. As she climbed out of bed, she noticed a green envelope had been placed on her bedside table. Picking it up, she tore it open to find a handwritten note inside.

My dearest Rose,

I hope you're in the mood for an adventure! I've planned a scavenger hunt across Gotham with a special surprise waiting for you at the end.

Your hunt begins where floral blooms and cascading water once set the stage for romance on a moonlit night before disruption by the masked vigilante.

If you can decipher where this first riddle points, you will uncover the next clue waiting there.

Love,
Eddie

Rose read over the riddle again, carefully analyzing it. The riddle had to be referencing the beautiful evening she and Edward spent in the Botanical Garden before Batman appeared insisting they leave the premises after hours.

She remembered how annoyed Edward had been to have their romantic stroll disrupted. But finding the next clue hidden there would be a lovely tribute to the memory. A smile spread on her face at his thoughtfulness in incorporating their history into the clues.

Eager to get started on the scavenger hunt, Rose quickly got dressed before wandering into the kitchen for breakfast.

"Well don’t you look excited this morning," Edward remarked with a knowing smile over the island countertop. “I take it you found my little note?”

Yes, I did," she said with a smile. "Clever riddle leading back to the Botanical Garden. But of course, you'd turn even old run-ins with Batman into part of the game."

Edward chuckled as he slid a plate of waffles and bacon across the island. "I couldn’t resist. I assumed you’d remember it fondly as one of our early dates. Though I certainly hope the Dark Knight's services aren't required today."

Rose picked up her fork, sawing happily into the waffles. "That makes two of us. Batman has spoiled enough romantic moments already."

"Indeed," Edward agreed, joining her at the island with his own plate. "Like the time he chased us through that narrow alley and got his cape stuck on the fence. The look on his face was priceless when he realized his blunder."

Rose giggled at the memory. "Oh, I bet that cost him a lot of money at the tailor to fix. Not that it helped him catch us in the end!"

Edward laughed along with her. "No indeed! Outwitted by his own cumbersome costume." His eyes gleamed with amusement at the memory. "I hope you find unraveling the clues to be a most stimulating challenge."

"I'm sure they will be," Rose replied after taking another bite.

They continued chatting lightly over breakfast about fond past adventures together. When they finished eating, Rose helped Edward clear the dishes before heading to grab her purse, unable to contain her growing excitement.

"Well, I guess I'm off on this mysterious scavenger trail," she said, giving him an eager smile. "Wish me luck!"

"The very best of luck, my dear," Edward grinned, walking with her to see her off at the door. "Do take care. And do let me know if you require any subtle hints along the way." His eyes glinted teasingly.

Rose playfully swatted his arm. "Oh, stop! What kind of Riddler’s girlfriend would I be if I couldn't decipher my man's riddles?" She gave him a swift kiss on the cheek. "See you soon!"

With that, Rose headed out the door ready to begin piecing together the nostalgic clues Edward had orchestrated specially for her.


When Rose arrived at the Botanical Garden, she was delighted to see visitors milling about enjoying the beautiful Saturday weather. People were meandering lazily along the curving garden paths, stopping to admire the vibrant flower beds and artistic landscape architecture.

As Rose wandered through the garden, she took in her surroundings. The air was filled with the fragrant scents of various flowers. Birds could be heard singing amongst the trees.

She noticed an older couple nearby smiling as they looked at a bed of gardenias in bloom. Nearby, two small children happily chased each other around a large oak tree, their giggles carrying on the breeze.

Following a stone path around a hedge maze, Rose arrived at the central fountain. Seeing the elegant marble fountain brought back memories from her midnight date here with Edward almost a year ago.

Rose slowly circled the fountain, trailing her fingers along the stone edge as she carefully scanned the area. She searched the flower beds, pushed aside branches and leaves looking for any sign of one of Edward’s green envelopes tucked out of obvious sight.

After a few minutes, her eyes landed on a corner of green paper peeking out from the backside of the plaque detailing the fountain's donor history. With a grin, Rose retrieved the envelope. Slitting it open eagerly, she pulled out Edward's letter. As she unfolded it, his clue came into view:

My dearest Rose,

Well done finding the next clue. Now recall where amongst books, blocks, and toys, we spent a moonlit evening together in private delight. There within the domain of learning and play, a storybook we treasured holds more than just memories today.

Love,
Eddie

Rose smiled softly at the nostalgic reference. How could she forget that magical evening they spent hours exploring the children's museum together, becoming lost in playing with toys and Legos before ending up in the cozy reading nook?


She made her way to the museum, which thankfully wasn't too crowded that morning. Weaving through exhibits on science and history, Rose finally arrived at the small library area tucked in the back corner.

Cozy floor cushions and bean bag chairs were scattered around, nestled among shelves filled with children’s books of all kinds. A few curious toddlers sat enraptured on the cushions as their caregiver read a picture book aloud.

Rose smiled fondly, remembering the night she and Edward had tucked themselves away reading in this very nook.

Crouching down, Rose began removing the children's books one by one from the lower shelf, looking for the titles he had selected that night. She flipped through "Goodnight Moon," "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," and "The Cat In The Hat," reminiscing on Edward's dramatic storytelling voices.

Finally, when Rose pulled out "The Giving Tree," an emerald envelope fluttered out from between the pages. Her breath caught as she recognized Edward's handwriting addressing the envelope to her.

With mounting excitement, she slid her finger under the wax seal imprinted with a question mark and removed the letter inside.

My dearest Rose,

Your quest continues somewhere cold where we wined and dined among rogues galore. Seek the place ruled by this fowl friend wearing a tuxedo and top hat. Chat him up to receive the next clue on your scavenger agenda.

Love,
Eddie

As Rose deciphered the clue’s subtle hints, a grin spread across her face. Clearly, Edward's riddle pointed toward Oswald Cobblepot's club - the Iceberg Lounge.

Memories flashed through Rose's mind of the night Edward introduced her as his girlfriend to his villain circle. She vividly recalled the dazzling lights, pulsating music, and giant ice sculptures adorning the club's interior as he led her inside.

Though initially anxious about mingling among Gotham’s most infamous rogues, Rose soon won them over with her charm, earning their blessings over her and Eddie's relationship. Well, most of them anyway...

An involuntary shiver ran through Rose as the image of Jervis Tetch's wild-eyed, leer briefly invaded her thoughts, unsettling memories threatening to resurface. But she quickly shook it off, redirecting her focus onto the many pleasant memories she shared with Edward instead.

Eager to see what awaited at the next stop on Edward’s romantic scavenger hunt, Rose set off for the Iceberg Lounge.


As Rose entered the Lounge, she was momentarily dazzled by the glittering lights reflecting off the icy décor. Penguin's henchmen nodded in recognition as she made her way to the bar where Oswald Cobblepot stood surveying his domain.

"Rose, my dear, it's been too long! How have you been?" Oswald greeted her congenially.

“I'm doing good, Oswald, thanks for asking!" Rose smiled warmly. “I’m actually here because Eddie sent me on a scavenger hunt across Gotham, and you have the next clue.”

"Ah, so you're on Nygma's romantic goose chase, eh?" Oswald chuckled knowingly. "Yes, yes he informed me you'd be stopping by for the next piece of his puzzle."

He slid an emerald envelope embossed with a question mark across the counter to her. “Care to stay for a quick celebratory drink before you head out to solve the next riddle?”

"I'd love to!" Rose replied happily, settling onto the bar stool.

"Excellent!" Oswald proclaimed. "Allow me to fetch you a signature Iceberg cocktail, on the house of course!"

He signaled to the bartender who swiftly prepared an icy blue drink mixture and garnished it with an orange wedge before placing the glass before Rose.

"This is our signature Iceberg Rum Punch," Oswald said. “Let me know what you think.”

Rose sipped the cocktail, enjoying the tropical medley of flavors - coconut rum and pineapple mingling with a pop of cranberry and subtle blue curacao.

"This is really good!" Rose exclaimed with a smile, going in for another sip.

"I’m glad you like it!" Oswald replied joyfully.

As Rose enjoyed the refreshing beverage, she and Oswald fell into easy conversation about the rogue community's latest gossip and her thriving business with Edward.

After laughing merrily at a sarcastic quip Oswald made at Two-Face's expense, Rose gathered her things to head back out.

"Thank you for the drink, Oswald," she said warmly. "I'd better get back to Edward's scavenger trail."

"But of course, dear!" Oswald smiled. "Take care and give Edward my warmest regards."

Waving goodbye, Rose exited the lounge, anticipation rising as she retrieved the emerald envelope from her bag. Settling into her car, she carefully opened the seal and unfolded the letter within.

In Edward's handwritten script, it read:

My dearest Rose,

Our adventure nears its end at the forgotten place of former delight, now worn by time’s steady march. Where laughing children once flocked are only vines and rubble.

Seek the area we explored together, envisioning its glory days of thrill rides roared to life once more. Somewhere amidst the decay and debris awaits your next clue.

Love,
Eddie

As Rose read over the riddle, the answer immediately sprang to mind - Edward had to be referring to the abandoned amusement park just outside the city!

She remembered the day when Edward had given her a tour of Gotham, full of history, secrets, and insights into his early criminal exploits. Their final stop had been at the abandoned amusement park. They had wandered down the weed-choked walkways, Edward telling her stories of his childhood visits in the park’s heyday.

Keys in hand, Rose set off eagerly, excited to uncover what he had in store for her next.


After the long drive, Rose pulled up to the open gates of the amusement park. She parked her car near the entrance and wandered onto the weed-split grounds. In the distance, the familiar broken rollercoaster tracks rose twistingly against the sky.

Making her way past the run-down ticket booth, she spotted bright green spray-painted arrows pointing along the pavement. Rose followed the arrows deeper into the park grounds until the old carousel platform emerged, the few remaining carved horses swaying on poles.

There tied to one pole with a green ribbon, was the next emerald envelope. With mounting excitement, Rose stepped up onto the creaking platform to retrieve it.
Carefully untying the ribbon, Rose opened the envelope and removed the letter inside. It read:

My dearest Rose,

Your scenic stroll down memory lane ends soon at a foreboding structure, where terror and thrills once awaited those brave enough to enter.

Seek out where squeals and shrieks once echoed, though now only the wind whines through its empty halls. Inside awaits your final clue leading to the ultimate surprise.

Love,
Eddie

Rose grinned, immediately recognizing Edward’s reference to the old haunted house they had explored together. She fondly remembered walking with him through the cobwebbed interior filled with ghostly decor and eerie sights.

Rose tucked Edward's letter safely into her bag as she set off searching for the old haunted house. After following the winding pathways for a while, Rose spotted the decrepit building peering through the trees and overgrowth ahead.

Quickening her pace, Rose imagined what surprise might await inside orchestrated by her clever love. She climbed onto the porch and carefully opened the front door. Stepping inside, she spotted Edward leaning casually against the wall in his signature green suit. His face lit up seeing her.

"You found it!" Edward proclaimed, pushing off from the wall to come embrace her gleefully. "So tell me, did you enjoy following the trail of nostalgia I left?"

"Absolutely! It's been so wonderful reminiscing about all our special memories together," Rose said, nuzzling against his shoulder affectionately. "I can't wait to see what the final surprise is."

"Then your waiting ends now." Edward's eyes glinted eagerly. "If you'll follow me outside, your surprise awaits just around the corner."

Intrigued, Rose followed Edward back out of the haunted house. As they emerged into the overgrown park grounds, Edward guided them down a nearly hidden path cutting through thick vines and foliage.

"Where exactly are you taking me?" Rose questioned with amused curiosity.

"Patience, my dear," Edward tutted, glancing back to flash a sly grin. "We're nearly there."

They ducked under the spreading bows of weathered oaks and elms, dappled sunlight filtering through the canopy overhead. All at once they broke through a wall of foliage to emerge in a sheltered grove that opened to a clear pool fed by a cascading rock waterfall.

Rose caught her breath, immediately recognizing the secluded oasis. "Our waterfall..." she murmured in awe, memories vividly flooding back.

Her gaze roamed over the romantic setup Edward had arranged for them. A plush nest of blankets and pillows awaited alongside a bucket chilling a bottle of champagne. Fairy lights were woven throughout the surrounding trees, mirroring the sparkle of the rippling pool in the sunlight. A picnic basket nearby overflowing with treats completed the intimate setting.

"Oh Edward, it's absolutely perfect!" Rose exclaimed, turning to him with her eyes bright.

Looking immensely pleased, Edward drew her close, one hand coming to rest intimately on the small of her back. "I thought this would be the ideal spot for the final surprise," he purred.

His nose nuzzled against her hair and Rose felt him inhale her scent with a low hum of satisfaction. Tilting her chin up, his lips met hers in a sensuous caress that soon deepened passionately.
When they slowly drew apart both were slightly breathless.

Edward's voice was low and husky. "Come, my dear, let's make ourselves comfortable." Taking her hand, he led her toward their cozy retreat.

Settling onto the blankets, Edward popped open the champagne and poured two glasses. "To us, my dear. And the new memories we'll create here today."

Their crystal flutes clinked together. Both sipped, gazes locked intensely across the rim of their glasses.

Rose sighed blissfully, nestling against Edward's shoulder as she took in their idyllic surroundings. "I still can't believe you put all this together just for us. It's straight out of my most romantic dreams."

"You deserve nothing less," Edward murmured, dropping a tender kiss to her hair. "Especially today..."

Rose glanced up curiously as he reached for the picnic basket. "What's so special about today?"

"You mean you don't know?" Edward flashed a sly grin as he pulled containers of potato salad, fruit, and sandwiches from the basket. "Today marks one year since that day I brought you here. Do you remember what was special about that day?"

As Edward gazed at her meaningfully, Rose's mind began to drift back. She vividly recalled their playful splashing in the cool water, breathless laughter echoing as they chased one another. The way Edward cradled her face and pressed his lips to hers in a sweet, tentative kiss.

"Our first kiss..." Rose breathed, meeting his tender gaze.

Edward took her hands, brushing a soft kiss over her knuckles. "Indeed. I'll never forget the way my heart raced wondering if you felt the same. But then you kissed me back, and I felt my doubts fade away. At that moment, I realized you cared for me just as I cared for you. It helped me see that I was worthy of happiness and being loved.

Rose's breath caught at the raw emotion in Edward's voice. "Eddie," she said softly, touched by his openness in sharing this memory with her.

Unable to find words to convey all she felt, she leaned in and kissed him slowly, pouring her love and affection into the intimate gesture. Their lips moved together in a lingering kiss, as they reveled in the closeness that had grown between them over the past year.

When their lips slowly parted, Edward gazed at her warmly. "I do hope you'll enjoy what I've brought for our picnic," he said, gesturing to the feast spread on the blankets. "I made your favorite chicken salad sandwich.”

He offered her a small sandwich. Rose took a bite, savoring the mix of tender chicken, celery, and a dash of lemon.

"It's delicious, Eddie. You always take such good care of me," she said with a smile.

Edward beamed at the praise. "I'm glad you like it.”

They enjoyed the picnic spread together, laughter and smiles flowing freely as they chatted.

When the main courses had been finished, Edward surprised her by pulling out a container of chocolate-covered strawberries. He held one up temptingly to Rose's lips.

"Saved the sweetest for last," he murmured.

Rose parted her lips, accepting the strawberry from Edward's fingers. As the bittersweet chocolate mingled with the berry's tangy sweetness on her tongue, she let out an appreciative moan.

"Mmmm…," she purred.

Edward smiled indulgently as he fed her another chocolate-dipped bite. They continued sharing the sweet dessert - feeding each other strawberries while exchanging casual caresses and tender gazes.

Full and content, Rose sighed blissfully as she leaned into the solid warmth of Edward's embrace. His arms wrapped securely around her, chin coming to nuzzle the top of her hair.

"I don't think I could possibly be any happier than I am at this moment," Rose murmured, craning her neck to gaze up at him adoringly.

"Well, perhaps there's one thing that could make this day even more momentous," Edward replied, a mysterious glint in his eyes.

Rose furrowed her brow curiously. "Oh? And what would that be?"

In response, Edward gently shifted her off his lap and onto the blankets. Then, he slowly positioned himself down on one knee before her.

Rose's hand flew to cover her mouth in joyful shock as Edward withdrew a small velvet box from inside his suit jacket. Flipping open the lid to reveal a diamond ring nestled within, he gazed up at her, eyes glimmering with hope.

"My dear Rose...this past year with you has brought me the greatest joy I've ever known. From that very first meeting in the alley, I felt an undeniable connection between us. Never before had I encountered someone who could match my intellect while still embracing my eccentricities."

He gave a self-deprecating chuckle before continuing earnestly. "And never did I imagine finding a woman I would come to trust implicitly, who challenges me to grow in ways I didn't think possible. You are my equal in every way, the only one suited to rule beside Gotham's Prince of Puzzles."

Reaching out, he took her hand tenderly in his. "So I ask you now from the depths of my heart - will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Tears of joy slipped down Rose's cheeks as she gazed into Edward's handsome face. No words could adequately capture the euphoria and overwhelming emotion swelling inside at the prospect of binding her destiny forever with this incredible man.

Though still trembling, she finally managed an emphatic, "Yes! Oh Eddie, yes...a thousand times yes!"

With a joyous cry, Edward swept her up into his arms, embracing her passionately as their lips met again and again in elated celebration of their new engagement.

Finally, Edward gently took her left hand and slid the diamond onto her ring finger. "A fitting embellishment for my queen," he purred.

“Oh, Edward, it's beautiful!” Rose said as she flung her arms around Edward's neck.

As he drew her close, she sighed blissfully laying her head over his heart which still raced with exhilaration matching her own. No words were needed in this perfect shared moment between them.

Surrounded by the beauty of their private retreat, Rose was grateful for the amazing man she could now call her fiancé. As Edward tenderly caressed her hair, she knew without doubt their lives were forever intertwined.

0