Chapter Four | Poultrypaw
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Her first lesson was the Code.

"The Warrior Code," Spottap, her mentor, hissed while pacing in front of her, "Is the most vital part of being a Clancat. It is what makes us Clancats. Without the Warrior Code, we would all be Loners and Rogues and Kittypets. Do you hear me?" Poultrypaw nodded wordlessly. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her brother Canepaw shoot her a 'overkill, am I right?' look, but she kept her gaze on Spottap. This was the fifth time since their apprenticeship that she had gotten this lecture, but the first time Canepaw had tagged along, since his mentor was busy assigning patrols. He would do well to pay attention.

After Spottap finished rattling on about the Code's history, she made Poultrypaw recite the Code. She did it happily. "The leader's word is the Warrior Code. Warriors may not have kits with cats outside of their Clan. Cats may not be made deputy without having mentored two apprentices. While the full moon is up and not covered by clouds, the Clans are at peace and no cat may harm one from another Clan. Clans should not kill other cats without complete necessity. Never attack a Medicine Cat, even one from an enemy Clan. And betraying your Clan is punishable by death."

Her brother's eyes widened. He shouldn't be surprised. They all knew the Code. Perhaps he was startled that she had it fully memorized? He should try having Spottap for a mentor.

"Very good. Now onto battle training. Canepaw, go to the far side of the clearing." Spottap gestured with a sweep of her tail, and when the apprentice obeyed, she added, "Poultrypaw, to the middle." Poultrypaw darted quickly to the center of the large, open space. TornadoClan's territory was mostly flatland, but the clearing was in a clump of tall, skinny birch trees. Her mentor gave a nod of approval at her sense of urgency, and she turned to Canepaw. "Watch closely. I'm going to charge your sister. Poultrypaw, show us that dodge-attack you came up with." 

Poultrypaw nodded once in assent, and her mentor ran at her. It was all about timing. As Spottap neared collision, she reared up on her hind legs, the older cat darting past her. But she wasn't done. In one movement, the apprentice spun around, still balancing on two legs, and slammed her forepaws into Spottap. The warrior stumbled and fell to the ground, then rolled over and nodded.

"Good. Canepaw, your turn."

0