Chapter 25 – Wind of War
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 25

WIND OF WAR
-----

Changi Beach Park, Singapore

“It's over?”

“Yes. He just killed it.”

A man in a black suit sat relaxedly with a fishing rod, a phone call, and a cigar in the nation of no smoking. Nobody seemed to be around in Changi Beach Park. Not even joggers or barbeque guys. The Singaporean government had alarmed their citizens after hearing the portal break 1,400 kilometers away. People were not allowed to move outside. Martial law had been implemented without any debate or useless talks.

“Have you meet her?”

“Soon.” The man in black took another cigar after throwing the last one. Watching a convoy of military vehicles, he said, “I'll call you later” and put down his cellphone. Several Singaporean soldiers saluted him. They escorted a woman in a formal suit who showed a spicy face while holding a hand for him to shake.

“Why are we here?” She said.

“Smoking. What else? Can you be nice to a smoker like me?”

“Discipline is our middle name, Mr. Demian. When I say, Close the door, nobody says no.”

The man in black, Demian, the chief of the Indonesian intelligence agency, glanced at his surroundings while blowing smoke to hide his amused look. “Democracy in your country is at the level where everyone knows to shut their mouth.”

“Meritocracy.”

Demian signaled for the woman to sit next to him and glanced at a fishing rod he had prepared. It turned out that she was Jane Xiaofang, a former brigadier general on the RSAF, which now serves as the Singaporean Minister of Defense, as well as person in charge of Ethereal Management and Security matters. Singapore Armed Forces took the streets at her command. All business was shut down. She didn't think twice about dispatching a variety of expensive anti-air defenses, including a F-15SG and an F-35 Lightning II, to guard Singapore against wyverns.

“What do you think?” With a smug face, she pointed at the fifth-generation jet.

“Nemo in a fish bowl.”

“Hey, I know our airspace is cramped. At least we have done our job to be your last-ditch effort. Without us, all nations in Southeast Asia would send you a love call.”

Demian inhaled deeply to seep all the toxic chemicals from his cigar into his lung. Wyvern attacks became an international issue after they left Indonesian airspace. Based on UNEMS and the New Geneva Protocol, a nation had a right to ask for compensation or send its armed forces if a neighboring country could not handle a portal break. Sovereignty had become blurry in the name of humanity. The president had no choice but to ask the Singaporean government to lend a hand.

“Alright, paycheck time. Cheer up, lady.” He took a paper from his pocket.

The Singaporean Defense Ministry grabbed the paper while Demian laid back like someone who had just paid his debt. It was a detailed drawing of a monster's anatomical map, which made the Indonesian military the only one who was able to process the monster's carcass. The value was comparable to a secret weapon's blueprint.

Jane Xiaofang showed a disbelieving look.

The map was genuine.

“A monster's carcass will not be decayed by any airborne bacteria. Because they have a substance with strong radioactivity distributed by an additional system that is more complicated than the spinal cords. Dissecting monsters is a complicated business. And this map makes it possible.”

“How many monsters have you mapped?”

“So far, 134 species.” Demian took something from his pocket and showed it off to his partner. “I mean, 134 species we have mastered to extract their crystal.”

Jane Xiaofang's eyes widened in surprise. “How did you get the map?”

“Let's just say I stole it.”

She burst into laughter, showing a satisfied face when she realized that Walker no longer monopolized everything. She could not believe that his partner just spilled a confidential thing that would shake the world if any ears heard his speech. The anatomical map Demian showed was known only to the Walker Association. In a way, the chief of the Indonesian Intelligence Agency was revealing a trade recipe that was definitely top secret.

“This is insane! Are you sure normal humans are now able to extract crystals?”

This time, Demian showed another crystal that was a bit different from what he showed before. “The crystal we know was from Ethereal. Can't you see the difference? Our crystal has more efficiency because it hasn't passed through the portal. We do it here, on earth. Top secret laboratory somewhere I can't spill the beans. Be amazed, lady. If you guys are able to extract crystal from the wyverns you've hunted, do you know what kind of crystal energy you will get? The operating costs of that fighter you're so proud of can be cut by $10,000 an hour for hundreds of flight hours. Well, at least. And multiplied their range twofold.”

The woman expression slightly twisted at how bombastic his claim was. Crystal energy was a most wanted resources to any transportation industry, particularly aviation. She obviously tempted by the deal. “So, what do you want? This is way more valuable than dispatching our jet fighter for you.” She asked straight to the point. Demian, meanwhile, stood in excitement as his rod caught something.

“There is a bigger fish that Singapore has to dive deeper to catch. You want to know?”

***

Indonesian Armed Force HQ, Jakarta

Another sleepless night, another haunt of responsibility. Jimmy, the commanding general of Indonesian Ethereal Management and Security, sat expressionless before piles of documents, phone calls, and aspirin. The number of victims occupied his mind. The portal-break death toll had passed 200,000 civilians. Casualties from the armed forces and police departments had reached 3,000 personnel. A day after the aftermath, everything he ate tasted bland.

“Commander, the chief of national intelligence agency is looking for you.”

“Let him in.”

Jimmy didn't bother to hide his bitter looks from his best friend, who had just arrived from Singapore. Demian smirked. The heavy smoker rubbed his pocket for a cigar and lit it hastily.

“I hate that country.” He blew a smoke like a maniac.

“Any news?”

“Bad one or good one?” 

“Good one.”

Sitting half on his back, Demian showed a folder of documents. “All in. The Singapore government will take part in our plan. And the Singaporean Walker Association will join us.”

“And betray the Global Walker Association?”

“What else? Having a brain among the fanatics is a pain in the ass. Singaporean walkers have waited for a long time. They get sick of getting bullied by walkers from our country. You know? Jealousy.”

The Brigadier General glanced at an ashtray as his guest littered around. Grabbing the document, he read it with a satisfied look. “So, what's the bad news?”

“I've lost $600 for smoking fines in a day. And another $50 for spitting in the street. Jesus.”

Demian's misfortune released a weight in Jimmy's head. He showed an almost unnoticeable grin as everything went smoothly. Singapore's involvement would bring luck. “Pram reported that half of Surabaya's council members disagreed with turning on the siren.”

“I'm not surprised. 24% of their house of representatives are walkers, and 46% are politicians who enjoy their money. Policymakers with a right mind are beyond the minority.” Demian looked up at the ceiling while blowing thick smoke that usually triggers fire sensors. “The government has fed up with Walker's behavior, Jimmy. They kept threatening national security. They have conquered everything and never known when to stop.”

“Keep low profile. We can't move carelessly.”

“We have no time, My Friend. Associations' influence has become more and more rooted. Their popularity kept growing. Walker's devotees have reached fanatical levels. They are more popular than celebrities who have no idea about national interests. If every Walker in the association ran for council, 100% would be elected. I can't imagine our policymakers will be a bunch of weirdos in European medieval bullshit. What will they do after being elected? Bring civilization back to the feudal era? Jeez!”

Jimmy changed his sitting position to be as casual as his guest. He then took another look at the classified document, even though he had already read it. There was an Indonesian Intelligence Agency logo on the letter stamp, similar to the logo on the smoker's badge.

“The president is seriously observing the association's movements. The protection for the prince, to be precise.”

Either out of habit or something else, once more, Jimmy glanced at the document he had read twice. He didn't say a word while Demian blew out the smoke and spoke in a suggestive manner.

“The prince has given us valuable knowledge of crystal extraction. And we provide him with everything he needs on earth. It's about the time he returned to his world.”

”What does the president want?”

“Prolong the military exchange. This is a big deal, Jimmy. Have you talked with the United States?”

“Not yet. And you know I cannot think about it. We have a real problem there.” Jimmy pointed to TV, which aired the aftermath of the portal break. “I have to go to Surabaya.”

Demian took a deep breath. He seemed too focused on national interests and forgot about a disaster that claimed so many victims. Surabaya's disaster had been over after the boss had been killed. Concerned about the aftermath, he extinguished his cigar on the ashtray and asked a question. “Singapore and all Asean broadcasts have aired the portal break since the first day. And I haven't seen anything on our TV. What's the media doing?”

“Writing the worst news possible about the military who saved their asses. What else? I can't see anymore their last piece of humanity.”

***

Surabaya Red Zone, the Aftermath.

“You're the real hero, Sergeant. You've saved so many lives. We owe you.”

“Part of duty, Sir. And part of the deal.” Varg answered with a calm manner.

Brigadier General Jimmy, someone who had promised him everything, showed an expression that was hard to read. Varg had questions in mind after canceling his discharge from regular service. However, it was rude to blabber about his personal matter at the wrong time. The casualties in the Red Zone should have hit his commander so bad. And today was the worst day to talk about it.

“How you feel right now, Sergeant?”

“Mixed.”

“About their death?”

Varg's green eyes gazed all over the place, losing himself in his thoughts as he recalled the worst four days in the Red Zone. Despite his achievements on the battlefield, he was tired. The aftermath always hits hard. He just wanted to pass the day and pretended to forget everything. “Pain and death are something a soldier have to friend with, Sir. They are killed as warriors. I won't shed a tear. Not even behind that stupid mask.” He glanced at a briefcase with his DOME uniform inside.

Brigadier General Jimmy signaled the prince to escort him to the tomb of the heroes. Three days prior to the death of the last boss, hundreds of civilians gathered at the military section of the Red Zone. A gloomy atmosphere could be seen from their faces, tears, and black attire. Several soldiers held back their sadness when they saw hundreds of coffins covered in large red and white flags. Varg didn't even bother to hide his silver hair among the crowd. His green beret and ceremonial uniform did the job. Nobody paid attention to him anyway. Except for several children who had lost their father. They watched the Elven Prince with wonder and curiosity.

“Is this tragedy an international concern?”

“No doubt. All nations in the world will held each other in the name of humanity. It's good to be civilized, isn't it?”

“Yes. That's the best thing about the Earth.” Varg could not hide his jealousy. “Back in my world, war is always standing at the door. And Walker's existence made it worse. My kingdom would be completely wiped out if they did their shit. Ah, pardon me, Sir. I can't control my tongue.” 

The commanding general of Indonesian Ethereal Management and Security answered his rude words with a smile and a shoulder tap. The atmosphere was too gloomy for a small thing. Varg resumed his job during the ceremonial process. Everyone was extremely quiet. As the Brigadier General spoke on a small stage, the audience became silent in mourning.

“25 years ago, this place and the Dead Town around it were densely populated. A huge wave of vicious creatures changed everything. They've changed our lifestyle, economy, fate, and even our sense of security. However, we, the military, would never change our commitment to save civilians. No matter how badly society looked down on us, They have proven it with their lives.”

As he turned to the expanse of coffins, all the soldiers saluted. They starred ahead with a stiff expression and teary eyes. At the same time, civilians fell into sadness while holding a photograph of their loved ones. The atmosphere was too hard for Varg to keep up. Humans are complex creatures. Seven years on earth had given him a great lesson about how deep their feelings were, regardless of their short lives. He felt envy and empathy at the same time. Saluting his comrades who sacrificed themselves for their families, Varg seeped the commander's speech into his thoughts.

“871 Red Zone soldiers died as heroes. Some died on the spot, others in the hospital. Not to mention the number of victims from the Marines, Army Strategic Reserve, Navy, and police who fought outside the zone. The total number of casualties has passed 3,000. And there are also hundreds of soldiers who have to be disabled for life ...” Every word sounded so hard for the Brigadier General to spout. His composure seemed to wave as everything he memorized faded away. His lips stammered when he tried to speak again. Nevertheless, he had to fulfill his responsibility as the commander of all Red Zones throughout the nation. “I repeat, the military and police departments are at the forefront of protecting people. Your sons and daughters, your husband and your wife—they will buried here as heroes. And their sacrifice will not be in vain. Let them go with sincerity.”

Everyone could not hold back their grief anymore. Hundreds of soldiers' families cried loudly after the commander finished his speech, followed by the soldiers carrying their coffins. The deceases were buried as heroes according to the regulations. They were buried in Sector 3 to commemorate their service forever.

“Nooo! My husband!”

“My son!”

“Daddy ...”

A salvo of ceremonial gunfire covered their cries of a final farewell. One by one, the coffins were put into the graves. All soldiers put their hands on their heads as a form of respect. Including Sergeant Major Diki, or Varg del Valora, he closed his eyes as to how easy for life to go away.

“I'm tired. I miss my home.”

At the same time, when Varg thought about Valora, the Armin Kingdom was in turmoil. King Armin III was found dead in elf territory. Prince Asedes was also a victim. To make matters worse, Walker Nobles took to the streets and lit the fire of hatred.

“Valora Kindom is our enemy! Punish the traitor!”

“Destroy their kingdom!”

“Slaughter the Elves!”

Armin's view of Valora was shaken. Their respect for the elves was gradually shattered. The clamor of demands started to echo in every corner of the kingdom. Their voices were unanimous. A great war must be waged. The attack of the dragon army and the death of the king tore up old history.

The elves cannot be forgiven.

“Burn the kingdom of Valora! Exterminate the Elves!”

0