Chapter 43: Baronet Ergo
91 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Baronet Ergo sat engrossed in his reading within the meeting chamber, surrounded by five middle-aged knights. Suddenly, a series of knocks interrupted the solemn atmosphere.

"Enter," one of the knights called out, granting access to the three young knights waiting outside.

"Forgive us for our incompetence," one of the younger knights began, but before he could continue, an old knight's sharp rebuke cut him off.

"Silence, you fool!" the elder knight barked, his patience worn thin.

These three young knights had suffered a brutal defeat in recent skirmishes, concealing the extent of their losses from their older counterparts. Hundreds of refugees had taken shelter in Lord Ergo's domain, a fact kept hidden by the younger knights, who even resorted to mistreating the displaced until their territory was invaded and conquered by unknown assailants.

While the older knights seethed with anger, Baronet Ergo remained focused on the identity of their conquerors.

"Don't waste my time. Describe the attackers," he commanded, his tone cutting through the tension in the room.

The young knights shifted nervously as they recounted their encounter. "They didn't resemble knights. Their attire was haphazard, and though their combat prowess surpassed ours, their fighting style lacked formality, indicating self-taught skills."

"And among them were young women, one of whom wielded magic," another added, prompting a flicker of recognition in Baronet Ergo's mind.

Memories of recent events at Viscount Canelles' domain flooded back, where he had dispatched his son to a noble gathering. However, the boy's ineptitude in relaying information left much to be desired. Despite mentioning Baronet Pierro Sraffa and the presence of female knights in the neighboring land, Ergo had dismissed the notion, unaware of House Sraffa's inclusion of women in their ranks.

"Could it be the attackers hail from Sraffa?" Baronet Ergo pondered aloud, skepticism tainting his words. "Impossible. That impoverished noble barely sustains his handful of knights, let alone recruits new ones. And the notion of hiring a sorceress seems preposterous."

Baronet Ergo's contemplative gaze swept over his assembled veteran knights as they discussed the slim possibility of female knights within the kingdom.

"Women knights? Absurd notion!" one grizzled knight exclaimed, his disbelief evident in his tone. "If such warriors existed, they would hail from noble houses, famous and respected throughout the land."

"Aye," another knight chimed in, nodding in agreement. "More likely mercenaries, these women. Their unorthodox fighting style suggests as much. Self-taught, lacking the refinement of true knights."

"And what of the sorceress?" a third knight interjected, his brows furrowed in thought. "Mercenaries often employ such practitioners of magic. It wouldn't be unheard of."

Baronet Ergo listened intently to their conjectures, though a skeptical furrow creased his brow. "Piero Sraffa hiring mercenaries? Preposterous. That young lord struggles to maintain his meager retinue. The notion of him affording mercenaries, let alone a sorceress, is laughable."

The knights exchanged knowing glances, conceding to their lord's logic. Despite the mysteries surrounding their recent defeat, the idea of Piero Sraffa employing mercenaries, let alone female knights and a sorceress, seemed implausible.

The young knight cleared his throat nervously, drawing the attention of the room back to him. "My lord, I must insist that what we faced was unlike anything we've encountered before," he began, his voice trembling slightly with the weight of his words. "These assailants, especially the woman, possessed a raw power that surpassed even our most skilled swordsmen."

Baronet Ergo furrowed his brow, skepticism evident in his expression. "Are you suggesting that these attackers were somehow superior to our best fighters? That they overpowered John and George?"

The young knight nodded solemnly. "Yes, my lord. It pains me to admit it, but they were no match for them. The brute force of those three men was overwhelming, and the young woman... she fought with ferocity and agility that I've never witnessed in any man."

The older knights exchanged uneasy glances, their confidence wavering in the face of such claims. "Surely you exaggerate," one of them scoffed. "John and George are our finest warriors. No band of mercenaries could best them in combat."

Another knight chimed in, his voice laced with doubt. "And this woman, you say she fought with crude technique? How could someone with such a lack of refinement outmatch our seasoned knights?"

The young knight swallowed hard, steeling himself against the skepticism in the room. "I cannot explain it, my lords, but I speak the truth. Their strength and skill were beyond anything we expected. We were taken by surprise, and by the time we realized the extent of the danger, it was too late."

Baronet Ergo leaned back in his chair, deep in thought. The possibility of unknown mercenaries defeating his best knights was a bitter pill to swallow, yet the young knight's earnestness gave him pause. Could there be truth to their account?

"We must investigate this matter further," Baronet Ergo declared, his voice firm. "If what you say is true, then we cannot afford to underestimate these assailants. Prepare a scouting party. I want to know everything we can about these mercenaries and their capabilities."

One of the knights, a seasoned veteran with a weathered face and piercing eyes, stepped forward, breaking the tense silence in the room. "My lord," he began, his voice steady but edged with concern, "I served alongside your son at Viscount Canelles' gathering, and I must say, the rumors of Piero Sraffa's involvement cannot be dismissed lightly."

Baronet Ergo raised an eyebrow, intrigued by the knight's assertion. "Explain," he commanded, his curiosity piqued despite his skepticism.

The knight took a deep breath before continuing. "During the gathering, I overheard whispers among the other nobles. They spoke of Piero Sraffa's desperation to strengthen his position, to elevate his status in the eyes of the kingdom. Some even mentioned his attempts to recruit mercenaries and employ unconventional tactics to expand his influence."

Baronet Ergo's expression darkened as he processed this information. The idea of Piero Sraffa resorting to such measures was unsettling, but the thought of him successfully orchestrating an attack on his domain seemed far-fetched.

"But even if that brat, Piero Sraffa managed to gather a band of mercenaries," Baronet Ergo interjected, his voice tinged with doubt, "how could they possibly overpower our knights? Our training, our discipline... it should have been more than enough to repel any assailants, regardless of their numbers."

The knight nodded in agreement, acknowledging the validity of his lord's concerns. "I understand your skepticism, my lord. But perhaps Sraffa's desperation drove him to seek out the most skilled and ruthless fighters he could find. And if these mercenaries include women, as the young knights reported, it's possible they possess abilities and tactics beyond what we're accustomed to."

Baronet Ergo fell silent, his mind churning with conflicting thoughts and emotions. The idea of his domain being vulnerable to an attack orchestrated by a seemingly insignificant lord like Piero Sraffa was a bitter pill to swallow. But the evidence, however circumstantial, was difficult to ignore.

Finally, after a moment of contemplation, Baronet Ergo spoke, his voice resolute. "Prepare the scouting party," he commanded, addressing the young knights. "We cannot afford to dismiss these reports. If Piero Sraffa truly poses a threat to our domain, we must be prepared to face it head-on."

As the room buzzed with renewed activity, Baronet Ergo's mind raced with thoughts of the challenges that lay ahead. Whatever the truth may be, one thing was certain: the peace and security of his domain hung in the balance, and he would do whatever it took to protect it.

6