Chapter 53: Missing Peasants
57 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the group of knights rode into the silent village, they were greeted by rows of dilapidated wooden houses, their walls weathered and worn from years of neglect. The thatched roofs, patched with straw and leaves, spoke of humble lives lived under harsh conditions.

The streets, usually alive with the sounds of children's laughter and the bustle of daily life, now lay eerily quiet. Doors hung off their hinges, swinging lazily in the breeze, while shutters creaked on rusty hinges, their once vibrant paint now faded and peeling.

"Strange," murmured one knight, his gaze sweeping over the desolate scene. "I've never seen the village so deserted."

"And no signs of struggle," added another, his eyes narrowing as he scanned the surroundings. "It's as if they vanished into thin air."

They dismounted, the crunch of gravel beneath their boots echoing in the stillness. Each small group ventured cautiously into the maze of narrow alleyways, their armor clanking softly with each step.

Inside the houses, they found signs of hurried departure. Furniture lay overturned, belongings scattered haphazardly across dirt floors. The hearths, once warm and inviting, now lay cold and empty, their ashes long since cooled.

"It's as if they left in a hurry," remarked one knight, his voice tinged with disbelief as he surveyed the scene.

"But why?" questioned another, his brow furrowed in confusion. "And where could they have gone?"

The unanswered questions hung heavy in the air as they continued their search, each corner revealing more clues to the mysterious disappearance of the village's inhabitants.

As the knights reconvened in the center of the abandoned village, their expressions were grim, the weight of the mystery heavy upon their shoulders.

"It's as if they vanished without a trace," remarked Sir Aldric, his voice tinged with unease as he surveyed the desolate surroundings.

"But why would they leave everything behind?" pondered Sir Tristan, his brow furrowed in thought. "And where could they have gone?"

"Perhaps they fled from the Margrave's harsh rule," suggested Sir Cedric cautiously, his eyes darting around as if expecting to find answers hidden in the shadows.

"Or maybe they were taken by some unknown force," chimed in Sir Gawain, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword, ready for any potential threat.

The knights exchanged troubled glances, each suggestion offering no solace in the face of the baffling disappearance.

"But there's no evidence of violence," countered Sir Aldric, shaking his head in frustration. "No signs of struggle or forced entry. It's as if they left of their own accord."

"Then why leave in such a hurry?" questioned Sir Tristan, his voice echoing the thoughts of his companions.

As they deliberated, their voices filled with uncertainty, the sun began to sink low on the horizon, casting long shadows over the deserted village.

"We must report back to the Margrave," decided Sir Cedric finally, his tone resigned. "Perhaps he will have insight into this mystery."

With a heavy heart, the knights mounted their horses once more, leaving behind the silent village and its unanswered questions, their minds troubled by the inexplicable disappearance of its inhabitants.

7