A Rocky Showdown
326 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Finally, we made it." Luneth said as Ash and Mairin stood on a large rock overlooking Pewter City while she, Alain and Misty stood behind them, "Pewter City."

After a week of training, battling against a trainer named Samurai, and sending Team Rocket into the sky in the Viridian Forest, the trio along with Ash, Pikachu and Misty had finally arrived in Pewter City where Brock the Pewter City Gym leader is.

"The Viridian Forest is long, not endless, Misty." Luneth stated.

Mairin frowned at the city before them, "Nothing but gray color though."

"That's because Pewter City is gray." A male voice responded.

The gang looked over the rock at the source of the voice to see a man with a beard wearing shabby clothes and a red beanie, sitting below them. The gang glanced at each other and looked back at the man. They got off the rock and climbed down the ladder and stood in front of him. Luneth knew that the man was Flint, Brock's father.

"The color of stone, this town has always been famous for stone." Flint continued.

"Who are you sir?" Mairin asked, brow arched.

"The name's Flint and you’re standing on my merchandise." Flint replied.

Ash and Mairin quickly got off the large rock.

Luneth looked around to see a bunch of rocks with price tags on it. She sweat dropped. "You sell rocks?"

"Pewter City souvenirs." Flint replied. "Wanna buy some?"

The group sweat dropped again at the offer.

"No thanks, I'm just traveling to be a Pokémon trainer." Luneth stated.

"Me too." Ash added.

Ginko leaned against her leg, Pikachu and Chespie sighed as they sat on top of their trainer's heads.

"Looks like your Pokémon could use some rest. Follow me, I'll lead you to the Pokémon center." Flint offered. Luneth readjusted Ginko into her arms when Flint came back again. "By the way, that'll be a two-dollar fee for resting on my rocks."

The group fell over in disbelief.


"Please, take care of our Pokémon, Nurse Joy." Luneth asked Nurse Joy politely while she, Alain, Mairin and Ash handed their trays of their Pokéballs, Chespie, Ginko and Pikachu.

"Sure, right away, Luneth, Alain, Mairin, Ash." Nurse Joy responded.

Ash gave her a strange look. "Nurse Joy? You really look exactly like the one from Viridian City."

"Yes, I'm the older Joy, the Nurse Joy from Viridian City is my younger sister. I've heard nice things about you three. Very nice." She said kindly.

"Thank you, Nurse Joy." Luneth said with a blush while Nurse Joy picked up the tray.

"Have you seen that poster?" She asked before going off with the gang's Pokémon.

The group turned to see the Pokémon League poster advertisement.

"The Pokémon League Regional Championships, huh? I guess it's a good thing that we're in Pewter City. I can start collecting badges with the gym in this town." Luneth said.

"Sounds like a good idea." Alain agreed.

"What about you, Alain?" Luneth asked.

"Not interested. I'm very eager to study about Mega Evolution." Alain stated.

"I'm definitely signing up! I'll get all eight badges in no time!" Ash beamed.

The group turned when they heard a mocking laugh, coming from the man they met earlier.

"Don't tell me you plan on challenging Brock, the Pewter City Gym Leader." Flint mocked.

Luneth only crossed her arms and raised her brow at the man. "Of course, I do. How else am I going to get a badge? Once my Pokémon are rested, we'll challenge him. Do you happen to know where it is?" She asked coolly.

"There's no way that I'm going to lose to the gym leader!" Ash declared.

Flint only laughed again at Ash. "You...beat him?" He walked off, still laughing.

The gang frowned at Flint's mocking before deciding to eat some lunch. Luneth frowned as she chewed, ignoring Ash and Misty's argument. She knew that Flint was wrong. She knew that her Pokémon will beat Brock's. She had faith in them.


"Well Luneth, Alain, Mairin, Ash, no more waiting. Your Pokémon are all back to normal." Nurse Joy smiled as she handed the gang their Pokémon and Pokéballs. Ginko, Chespie and Pikachu jumped onto their trainer's shoulders and Luneth petted Ginko on the head.

Luneth smiled happily as she picked up her Pokéballs.

"Thank you, Nurse Joy." Luneth thanked the Pokémon Nurse, "By the way, can I please register for the Pokémon League?"

"Of course, Luneth. I will need your Pokédex." Nurse Joy replied.

Luneth took out her Pokédex and handed it to Nurse Joy. She slotted it into the computer and typed a few things on the keyboard.

"[Luneth Ketchum of Pallet Town.]" A male mechanical voice said. Then a picture of Luneth appeared on the computer screen and her information beside her, "[Welcome to Kanto: Indigo League.]"

"Alright. You're all set for the Pokémon League, Luneth." Nurse Joy smiled as she handed Luneth's Pokédex back and gave her a badge case.

"Thank you." Luneth thanked her as she put her Pokedex and badge case away.

Ash handed his Pokédex to Nurse Joy.

"You ready for your first Gym Battle, Luneth?" Alain asked.

Luneth nodded as Ginko cried out in excitement.

"Alright, let's go!" Luneth declared.


They arrived at the Pewter City gym. Ash and Luneth opened the large, imposing doors with less difficulty than they thought, stepping into the large, dark, empty room with no hesitation.

"Hello~?" Luneth called, hearing a slight echo to her voice, "Is anyone here?!"

No one answered.

"Maybe no one's home." Mairin commented.

"I have a feeling that someone is." Alain stated.

"Who goes there?" Which startled the group. A spotlight turned on above a dark-skinned teen sitting on a stone slab, one Luneth easily recognized as Brock the Pewter City Gym Leader.

Luneth smiled at his theatrical entrance. "You must be Brock. My name is Luneth Ketchum from Pallet Town. I challenge you to a battle!"

"And I'm Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town!" Ash announced.

His expression didn't change. "Is this your first gym match?" He asked Luneth and Ash.

Luneth didn't have a chance to respond before he continued. "A gym match is different from other battles. This match is for Pokémon league authorization. There are special rules."

Luneth rolled her eyes, knowing each gym could have varying rules. "Yeah, yeah. I already know about these special rules."

"What do you mean?" Ash asked.

"Two Pokémon each, understand?" Brock said as he stood up.

He stared at Luneth and her shiny Eevee and then he turned to Ash and Pikachu.

"How long have you been with those Pokémon?" Brock asked.

"I've had Ginko for a few days." Luneth replied.

"I've had Pikachu for a few days as well." Ash added.

"Luneth's Eevee has a better chance at beating anyone's Pokémon," Brock then turned to Ash's Pikachu, "Your Pikachu, however, is still in its cute phase. It won't win." He observed.

"WHAT?!" Ash exclaimed angrily.

"Let's just get this over with." Brock snapped his fingers and all the lights suddenly turned on.

The group were quick to get out of the way when large garage doors opened on either side and slid inward to create a rock terrain battlefield.

"Luneth will battle me first. Then Ash will go next." Brock decided.

Luneth smiled at that while Ash pouted.

Alain, Mairin, Ash and Misty walked off the field and stayed at the bleachers to the side so that they could watch the match.

Brock jumped from his perch to the white box on his side, taking out a Pokéball.

"Let the match begin." Brock declared.

Luneth grinned at that. "Now that's what I'm talking about."

"Geodude, go!" Brock called, throwing his Pokéball into the field.

Luneth took out her Pokedex and scanned the Pokémon:

[Geodude, the Rock Pokémon. Geodude has incredibly high defensive power, making it virtually resistant to any physical attacks.]

“Ginko, let’s go!” Luneth called out.

“Eevui!” Ginko the shiny Eevee chirped as she jumped onto the field.  


“Why is Luneth using Ginko? Doesn’t she have a Water type Pokémon?” Misty questioned.

“She does. But she wants to give her more battling experience.” Alain answered.

“What do you mean?” Ash asked.

“If Ginko gains more battle experience, it’s possible that she might have a winning chance of defeating a Pokémon with her type disadvantage.” Alain explained.

“That makes sense.” Misty understood.


“Geodude, use Rollout!” Brock ordered.

Geodude curls into a ball and rolls towards Ginko with great speed.

“Jump and use Iron Tail!” Luneth countered.

Ginko jumped over Geodude as her tail glowed a metallic color. Then she slammed her tail onto Geodude which caused Geodude to cry out in pain.

“Geodude!” Brock called out, “Are you okay?!”

Geodude grunted, “Geo! (I’m fine!)”

“Okay then, use Rock Throw!” Brock ordered.

Geodude punches the ground, making rocks fly at Ginko.

“Ginko, use Swift!” Luneth countered.

Ginko’s tail glowed yellow, and a swarm of stars came out and hit the rocks which caused a clash between them, causing a dust cloud.

“Energy Ball!” Ginko opens her mouth and forms a green ball of energy in front of her. She then fires the ball at Geodude who cries out in pain from the attack, “Now Water Gun!” Ginko shot a stream of water from her mouth, and it made a direct hit at Geodude, causing it to fly into the wall behind Brock, the Rock Pokémon passed out and slid down the wall on the floor.

“G-Geodude is unable to battle! Ginko wins!" Brock announced.


“Wow, I didn’t think that Ginko would beat Geodude.” Ash commented, amazed.

“You would be surprised, Ash. There are many trainers who have Pokémon who can overcome their disadvantages.” Alain stated.

“I agree. I wonder what Pokémon Luneth will use next.” Misty agreed.

“Just wait and see, Misty. You’re gonna like this Pokémon.” Mairin said with excitement.


“Geodude return." Brock returned Geodude to its Pokéball, "Not bad, Luneth, but your next Pokémon is no match for Onix, go!" He shouted as he threw his second ball, revealing the large rock snake.

Luneth took out her Pokédex again and scanned the Pokémon.

[Onix, the Rock Snake Pokémon. It tunnels through the ground, which shakes when it raises its thunderous roar. It can move the ground at fifty miles per hour.]

“His strongest huh?” Luneth muttered, “Ginko, return!”

Ginko left the field and sat next to Luneth’s feet. Luneth patted her head for her first battle.

“Time to battle, Itachi!” Luneth sent out her Sea Weasel Pokémon.

“Bui!” Itachi the Buizel appeared on the field.


“Wow, what kind of Pokémon is that?” Ash asked, awed.

“It's a Buizel.” Mairin replied.

“Buizel?” Ash blinked.

“Buizel is a Water type Pokémon from the Sinnoh region.” Alain stated.

“Really?! A Water type?!” Misty questioned excitedly.

“Yup.” Alain took out his Pokédex and showed her Buizel’s information.

“How did Luneth get one?” Ash asked.

“She caught him before she arrived in Viridian City.” Alain replied.

“Lucky.” Misty pouted.


“Onix, use Tackle!” Brock called out.

The Rock Snake charged toward Itachi.

“Itachi, dodge and use Water Gun!” Itachi jumped into the air to avoid the Tackle attack and he sprouted a stream of water from his mouth.

"Use Dig to avoid it!" Onix drove into the ground, avoiding the Water Gun attack.

"Hydro Pump into the hole!" Luneth called out.

"Onix! Get out of the hole!" Brock yelled in worry.

Itachi launched the Hydro Pump into the hole, made by Onix dig.

"Onix!" Brock exclaimed, as the water hit his Pokémon directly.

Onix was struggling from the Hydro Pump attack.

"Use Stone Edge!" Brock called out.

"Dodge with Double Team." Itachi made ten copies of himself, as the Stone Edge hit each copy missing the original. "Now, Agility and Ice Punch!" The Sea Weasel Pokémon appeared behind the Snake Rock Pokémon, as he ran on the rock body heading straight to Onix's face.

"Onix, quick shake Buizel off!" Brock ordered, as he saw the ice fist.

The Rock Snake Pokémon shook its body, trying to shake off the Sea Weasel Pokémon.

Itachi jumped off the rock body and drew back his fist, which was covered in an icy aura and punched the side of Onix.

Onix roared out in pain, it started to fall.

"Onix!" Brock exclaimed worriedly.

As Onix was falling, Itachi jumped into the air and landed in front of his trainer. A huge smoke of dust covered the gym leader's side of the field. Brock covered his face, protecting himself from the dust. Luneth's eyes narrowed, keeping her guard up. When the dust cleared, it showed that Onix had fainted.

"Onix is unable to battle! Buizel wins!" Brock announced.

"Yes! We won!" Luneth cheered.

Itachi turned to Luneth. Then she and Ginko gave him a group hug.

Brock returned Onix and walked over to Luneth, “I have to admit, Luneth, you really caught me by surprise. I never expected that your Eevee would be able to take down both my Geodude and that you have a Buizel.” He admitted.

“Thanks. Ginko and Itachi did all the battling, I just helped with the commands.” Luneth denied.

“You’re a very humble trainer, Luneth. I’ve met very few that are. I have to admit that you battled greatly, Luneth. You raised your Pokémon well." Brock admitted.

Luneth smiled. "Thank you, Brock. Once a Pokémon joins my team, they become family. We train hard together."

Ginko and Itachi nodded.

"I see," Brock said and took out something from his pocket and held out his hand, "As gym leader of Pewter City, I present you the Boulder Badge."

Luneth bowed a bit, "Thank you, Brock." She gently took the badge.

"Alright, we got the Boulder badge!" Luneth posed with her Pokémon.

"Eevui! (Badge number one!)" Ginko cheered.

"Bui bui!" Itachi cheered as well.


Brock and Luneth went to the Pokémon center to heal their Pokémon. While they waited, Luneth had sent Beautifly (Choko), Mankey (Bruce) and Swablu (Avaley) to Prof. Oak's lab so they could rest from their training. She called her mom and told her about her first gym battle victory. Then Luneth, Alain and Mairin called Prof. Sycamore and told him that Luneth got her first gym badge.

"Brock, I have to admit this, but I don't really see you as a gym leader." Luneth admitted, "You seem to be more of a breeder to me."

"Really?" Brock asked, shocked.

Luneth nodded.

"The proof is your Geodude and Onix. I can easily tell that they're being well taken care of." Alain replied.

"Thanks, Luneth, Alain. You know the truth is that I get more pleasure from raising Pokémon than from making them battle. Rather than being a great Pokémon trainer, I want to be the world's best Pokémon breeder," Brock smiled before frowning, "But I can't leave here."

"Why?" Ash asked.

"I have to look after my brothers and sisters. Someone needs to look after them and the gym." Brock replied.

"I'm sorry, Brock." Mairin apologized.

"It's okay." Brock assured her.

Then Nurse Joy appeared with a cart that had their Pokémon on it.

"Thank you, Nurse Joy." Luneth thanked her.

"You're welcome." Nurse Joy smiled.

Luneth took Ginko and Itachi's Pokéballs. Then she let out Ginko and sent the Itachi to Prof. Oak for some rest from training and the gym battle.

"So what are you going to do now, Brock?" Alain asked.

"Well I-" Brock began to say.

"He's going to travel with you is what." A masculine voice said.

Everyone turned to the voice. It was Flint, the man who was selling rocks. He suddenly ripped away his beard and took off the red beanie to reveal an older looking Brock.

"My father." Brock gasped, shocked.

"Eh?!" The gang and their Pokémon exclaimed.

The man bowed, "I'm sorry for making you take on the responsibilities as a gym leader, not only that but I didn't have what it takes when I was on my journey and was too afraid to face you," he confessed, "Now I'm making up for it by telling you go follow your dream and leave the gym and your siblings to me."

Brock was still for a while but managed to find his voice again, "There's something I have to say to you." he said.

"Of course." Flint nodded.

Instead of yelling at his father, Brock told him how to take care of his siblings and the gym.

"Slow down, slow down! I can't write that fast!" Flint yelled, panicking, as he wrote it all on a mini notepad while Brock spoke.

"Well it looks like it worked out for Brock." Luneth nervously smiled.

"I suppose you're right." Alain sweat dropped along with Mairin.

Ash and Misty sweat dropped as well.


Luneth, Alain and Mairin headed out the next day. Luneth knew that Ash would be okay in his first gym battle. He probably might lose against Brock's father. Luneth also suggested that Brock should travel with Ash and Misty because she could tell that they needed someone to help them even if they didn't know it. Brock had said that he noticed as well and hoped that they all will meet up again sometime. And so, Luneth and her friends are now on their way to Cerulean City where Luneth's next gym battle awaits.


Pokémon Caught:

Luneth: Shiny Eevee (Ginko)(F), Shiny Feebas (Moana)(F), Pidgeotto (Cardinal)(M)

Alain: Charizard (M), Metagross (Genderless), Tyranitar (M), Unfezant (M), Chestnaught (M), Steelix (M)

Mairin: Chespin (Chespie)(M), Flabébé (Bébé)(F), Gogoat (Grazer)(F), Butterfree (Nabi)(M), Paras (Kinoko)(F)


Professor Oak's Lab:

Luneth: Swablu (Avaley)(F), Nidoran (Fonda)(F), Scyther (Hecate)(F), Buizel (Itachi)(M), Mankey (Bruce)(M) 

Alain: Beedrill (M), Nidoran (M), Scyther (M)

11