37. Déjà vu
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unlike outside in the fields where there were dozens of lively men training and preparing for their next battle, inside was far different. All around, men sat and lay wherever they could. Inside and outside the various tents that had been propped up. These men were not in fighting shape and most of them looked like they may never fight another battle in their lives. There were many still able but the looks in their eyes said different. These were men with missing limbs, battered bodies, and damaged armors. Equipment lay in piles around the camp, collected and left for collection later.

Though the occupants were in poor shape, the living conditions weren’t bad by any means. Each tent looked to have several cots set up for sleeping with plenty of space for each occupant to set their effects and equipment. In the center of a few was a pile of kindling, providing adequate warmth for the tent space. Stacks of wood, sticks, and other fuels for the flames were organized between tents for those to grab when necessary. The ground, though muddy, was regularly raked and smoothed out by a passing pair of horses being directed by a pair of men. Food was being cooked at several stations and there was even a cleaning area where a collection of maids were taking care of the men’s clothing.

All the necessary amenities for living had been provided to the fort. Jake even spotted a few more sultry looking women sitting around a fire, sharing a pipe with some tobacco in it. One of the ladies gave him a passing glance, eyeing a would-be customer. Jake frowned and looked away, not interested in such a distraction. Still, while the Fort may provide comfort and a place to unwind after a battle, those battles needed to be won. And from the looks of things, they weren’t going well.

“Can these potions even do anything for these men?” Jake asked, uncertain if their delivery could even put a dent into this level of despair. The number of capable men dwindled the further they rolled in. It seemed all the available man power was out fighting and preparing for the next operation.

While Jake could see a potential for bettering the conditions, his driver did not see the same. “No, but it’s a start. These men are going to need more than a drink to get them moving again.” Randal muttered his answer, his eyes glued to the road ahead of him as he carefully guided them through the mess.

They passed by tent after tent until finally, their stopping point came into view. It was easy to distinguish because of the various other carts and wagons lined up as well. That was convenient, at least.

At the center of the Fort was a large open, circular area where wagons and carts had been organized neatly in such a way that they could be pulled out at any time. A stable full of horses was off to the left with several handlers walking around the grounds to tend to the animals. Jake even spotted a few cows, chickens, and goats within the fenceline. Straight ahead was a make-shift wooden building, well-fortified with its own small wall of wood around it and plenty of guards monitoring its surroundings. Judging by the banners dangling off their posts, that must have been the command building.

Their destination, however, was directly on their left. Another wooden building that was two floors tall with an open bay for a bottom floor. Inside, men lay on various tables and were stretched out across dozens of cots and beds. Bustling around those men was a small contingent of nurses, doctors, mages, and other supporting helpers in a sort of organized chaos as they worked tirelessly to help the injured men. Four women sat at a table just inside the entrance, their eyes and hands glued to the papers piled up in front of them. Behind them were piles of red stained fabrics--clothes and rags covered in blood.

“By the Gods…” Randal muttered as he looked into the building, the sight causing him to practically freeze in place.

Bailey sat up straight in his seat, placing his hands in his lap as he too stared at the disheartening scene.

Jake stood up in the back of the cart, his eyes taking in the sight of those medical workers doing their damndest to save as many lives as they could, with the few materials they had available. The men moaned, cried, and screamed. Their bodies were cut open, some had limbs severed off, and others had bones broken from whatever enemy they had been facing. Yet, all of them continued to struggle to survive. Clinging to whatever semblance of hope there might be that they could be saved by the miracle workers standing over them.

Out of instinct, Jake’s hands curled into fists and his jaw closed up tight. His teeth ground together as the smell of iron touched his nose.

“This is why.” The silent thought crossed his mind.

A moment later, his boots hit the mud. Randal and Bailey both flinched, their eyes turning to watch their own guardian move to the back of the front cart. He ripped the planks off the back and his hands grabbed the first crate he could reach. He yanked it from the stack and carried it inside towards the table with the women. Hearing the sound of squelching mud, the women looked up from their papers as Jake sat the crate down on the table.

“Delivery from Juno,” he announced to them, ripping the top off the crate. With the top removed, Jake turned and immediately headed back to the cart for the next one.

One of the women stood up, confused at the appearance of the strange looking man and his box. But, when she looked inside to see what he had revealed, her soft blue eyes shot open wide. A single yell thundered through the tent and dozens of eyes turned towards the entrance, watching as Jake, Randal, and Bailey set to unloading their precious cargo. She pulled out one of the vials and hung it in the air.

A silence fell over the workers inside. Eyes met and haggard shoulders slumped for a brief moment. Then, one of the doctors shouted an order and the tent was once more in a flurry. This time, with renewed vigor. Additional hands were called up to the tent, summoned to assist with the burden of the cargo. While some pulled the crates down, others worked to open them up. Nurses were fed the vials and scattered into the tent, rushing to those most desperate for them.

Nightly prayers for relief that had gone seemingly unanswered had finally born fruit, and their miracle had come in the form of three. Jake helped until the system of unloading had become a smooth machine, then he stepped away. He removed the cloak covering his body and tossed it over his ruck. He removed his gloves and headed inside of the tent.

Jake walked past the front desk as the personnel buzzed around the crates, stepping into the heart of the mess. “Nurse,” Jake called out to one of the women, catching her attention.

“Sorry, but I hav-'' She started to answer, only for Jake to gently grab her arm.

“Your worst ones. Where are they?” Jake asked quickly and curtly.

The Nurse blinked, then pointed to the back of the tent. Jake followed her finger to see eight men, all laying in pools of red on what looked to be forgotten tables. A few nurses hung over them, wiping their foreheads and applying cold towels to their faces, but their bodies were bad. They were beyond saving. At least, that’s how they looked to the normal eye.

“Thanks.” Jake released the nurse and walked over to the men, weaving through the tables and cots, brushing gently past the workers to avoid a collision. As he approached, he categorized the eight and put them in order in his mind. Two were indeed impossible to help, but the other six weren’t dead. Not yet.

“Excuse me.” Jake stepped up to the first man and the nurse opened her mouth to say something. “I know healing magic. Enough to help them.”

“Do you?” The woman, caught off guard by the sudden arrival of the adventurer, blinked and placed a hand on his chest to bar him from the patient. “You’re not a doctor. I’m sorry bu-”

Jake met her gaze and raised an eyebrow. “They’ve been left here to die anyway. Are you going to get in the way of their one possible chance?”

The nurse pressed her lips together and looked at him sternly. “Sir, I appreciate your desire to help these men but we’ve already had mages and doctors alike look at them. There’s nothing more we can do. If you have knowledge of healing magic, I ask that you help the others instead.”

“Sorry, but I’m here to help everyone. Including those who you gave up on. Excuse me. Time is short.” Jake gently brushed the woman’s hand aside and then moved her as politely as he could.

“H-Hey!” The woman yelped as she was knocked aside.

Jake stepped beside the man and looked down at him. His face had been cleaned off. The muck, blood, and sweat was wiped away by the tending nurse. His eyes were glossy and wet, the pain likely immense as his body gradually failed him. When Jake first stepped up to him, the man was staring off into space, those glossy eyes unfocused on anything other than the hope that the pain might stop.

Both of the man’s arms were broken in multiple places. He had a large wound in his left side, a dent in his right rib cage. Pieces of rock were embedded in both of his legs. His left knee was shattered and the leg twisted in an odd way. His left foot was broken, the toes crushed. He had a cut across his face as well. Whatever had gotten to this man had done a number on him.

Taking in a deep breath, Jake snatched at his mana and placed his hands gently down on the man’s chest and abdomen. “Scream quietly, please,” Jake mumbled to the man. He reached for the man’s mana flow, synced his own to it, then flooded the system with Light aligned mana. Jake shut his eyes to focus, then began working. First, Jake worked to numb the man’s system, aiding in his pain by quieting the antagonized nerves. At the same time he closed the open wounds, getting the blood loss under control. The man was pale, his skin clammy. He had lost a lot.

Piece by piece, Jake went through the man’s injuries like a checklist. He worked on stabilizing the man first by sealing those wounds and repairing any organ damage. He then worked to repair the man’s bones, breaking them and then grinding them back into place. Those that were shattered and powder, Jake couldn’t fix. He didn’t have the ability to remake bones but he could repair around them and help the bones callous over. The man would still need plenty of recovery time afterwards, but he would be able to walk with at least a limp or a cane.

After a few moments of being helped, the man’s eyes slipped closed. The nurses panicked at first, but the man’s breathing stabilized and they watched as color returned to his face. Jake, focused on his work, never noticed as they stared at him. Their eyes taking in the sight of what they considered another miracle of some kind.

When the work was complete, Jake’s hands raised off the man’s body, blood covering his fingers and palms. He let out a huff then looked up at the nurse across from him. “Who’s next?”

“Here. This one.” One of the other nurses answered instead, quickly catching on to what Jake was looking for. “He has internal bleeding. His left lung collapsed and his legs are both broken.” She announced the man’s injuries as Jake walked over then moved aside to make room. “We were able to stop the external blood loss but his stomach was crush-”

“That’s enough. I’ll handle it.” Jake cut her off, not needing the babble as he placed his hands on the man’s stomach. The man winced, groaned, and grabbed Jake’s arm.

“Leave me,” a raspy, dry voice escaped the wounded man’s lips as he stared up at Jake. His left eye was puffy and red. “Please.”

“Nothing to live for? Or are you satisfied with this kind of end?” Jake asked, narrowing his eyes as he stared down at the man.

The questions brought a strange, pained smile to the man’s face. As if there was a sense of understanding. “...Satisfied,” he answered.

The nurse grabbed Jake’s other arm. “What are you doing?”

Jake glared at her and smacked her hand off him. “Don’t,” he spoke the singular word before looking down at the warrior again. “You sure?”

“Yes.” The man grimaced in pain as he forced himself to nod very briefly.

“Right then.” Jake placed his hands on the man’s stomach, synced their mana flows, then performed a few minor tasks. All to provide the man comfort. He dulled the man’s nerves, eased the pressure on his stomach, and opened his airways so that he wouldn’t choke and drown in his own blood. He would still die, as the injuries inside of him were far too severe to survive with. However, he would be able to do so in peace.

The nurse watched on anxiously, expecting Jake to perform another miracle for her, all for the healing hands to lift all too soon. The injuries remained behind as Jake turned away. “You’re not… going to help him?” She asked, clutching her chest.

“No. He doesn’t want it.” Jake walked by her, heading for the next patient. Before he stepped up to the next cot, Jake paused and looked over the men and the nurses. “I’m not a doctor. I won’t save a man who doesn’t wish to be saved. I won’t force any of you to see tomorrow if you think today was enough.”

He paused his words as he stepped beside the next cot. His eyes met the warrior’s laying down in it. He was battered but was capable of walking. His left arm was mangled, though. “I will not judge your decision, that is up to the Gods. Your brothers are still fighting and there’s no saying they won’t end up here beside you tomorrow. I can make you better but it’s up to you to decide whether you’ll fight again or drag through your days a hobbled and forgotten leftover.”

“I am your chance. I am your opportunity to pick up a sword again and fight beside the men training outside.” Jake turned to the man behind him, a man who was staring harshly at the top of the tent. “So what’ll it be? Tempt fate one more time? Or give up and consider this to be enough?”

Though the rest of the tent was noisy, the four men awaiting treatment by the surprise guest were silent. One was unresponsive, his mouth wheezed with struggling breaths. His eyes were covered by a red and dirty cloth. The man beside Jake refused to look away from the ceiling. The other two grimaced. One looked to the nurse standing over him and gave her a questioning gaze. She stared down at him, but she could not answer for him.

…Precious seconds passed. No answer.

A soft whisper slipped out of an unlikely mouth. The man with his eyes covered and the worst wounds of them all. His chest heaved as his mouth moved ever so slightly. Both of his arms were broken, with braces holding the bones in places. His legs were cut open, his torso collapsed inward. His stomach was cut across the center with his insides threatening to spill out. His face was damaged as well, the cheekbone cracked inward from likely a blow to the face.

Refusing to let it be the end, he muttered a single word of defiance. “Me.”

For him, today hadn’t been enough. He was unsatisfied, angry with his situation. Angry that he was even here. There was more that he could do, more that he should have done. If the Gods were willing to give him another go, then he would take it.

“Good.” Jake was at his side in a breath, his hands pressing down on his chest and stomach. Blood oozed between his fingers, the warm liquid sticking to his skin. “Then let’s give you another roll, shall we?”

The man’s dry, cracked lips curled into a slight smile.

The other men watched Jake bring the man back from the brink. They watched the man’s limbs repair themselves and watched as the blood clotted and washed away. The injuries the man had sustained were fixed to the best of Jake’s ability and he returned to a stable condition. Beneath the towel, crushed eyes were regrown and fixed, bringing light back into his world. Though it would take time for those broken bones to repair, he would walk and he would be capable of fighting again soon.

Seeing that, the other men also requested aid. Each meeting Jake’s gaze and asking for treatment. One by one, they were each pulled away from Death’s greedy grip, snatched away by an even greedier individual who refused to let things end so easily.

“Thank you.” One of the nurses said as Jake finished his work.

“Don’t thank me. I just did what they asked.” Jake turned away without another look at the men and stepped into the tent. While he wanted to give the men more in depth treatment and truly provide them with quality care, there were dozens of others to be tended to. The five would live and would fight again in the future. That was good enough.

Before Jake could get away, the nurse who had initially stepped up to stop him grabbed at him again. “I’ll go with you,” she said, answering his questioning glare. “The other nurses will try to stop you and get in your way since you’re not a doctor or a medic here. I’ll help persuade them.”

After a momentary thought, recognizing that she was trying to help him avoid another confrontation, Jake agreed. “Alright. Bring me to those who need it most. We’ll work back from there.”

“This way.” She tugged on his sleeve and then walked along the back of the tent, guiding Jake from one side to the next.

The potions began to make their rounds through the tent, but they weren’t of exceptional quality. Though they were helping with blood loss and closing up basic wounds, they didn’t provide much more aside from numbing the pain and replacing lost fluids. Deep injuries, broken bones, and critically injured organs were merely stabilized but weren’t repaired. The potions weren’t doing the job that needed to be done on the more extreme cases but were lightening the load, at least. Using multiple potions was further easing the burden but the results weren’t any different. Proper surgery or healing magic was necessary in such cases.

However, the potions were still lightening the load. The minor injuries to the front of the tent were quickly tended to and the soldiers were being moved to a recovery area on the second floor to clear the cots and tables for cleaning. Those with stab wounds, cuts, and other similar basic pains could make do with just a drink of one or two, freeing up the nurses and supplies for those who needed it most. Which meant that any man still on a cot after drinking a potion was who Jake needed to see.

At first, the other nurses were just as hesitant to receive Jake’s help when he walked up to their patients. However, after watching him help three of the men and get them mobile again, their feelings shifted. Rather than question him, they began feeding him the injury reports and giving him an idea of what he would be looking at each time he stepped up to a cot. His healing abilities outmatched the other mages by a large margin and injuries once believed to beyond helping were quickly being catered to. A few mages tried to argue, as if taking it personally that someone better had shown up, but the nurses promptly pushed them aside to give Jake the breathing space he needed to work.

By the time he was halfway through the tent, a few doctors had called for his attention as well. Patients they had started to work on were beyond their expertise and either were dying at the tables, or were showing signs of additional trouble that they couldn’t deal with. Rather than take over completely, Jake instead worked in with them, providing magic support to their physical work. He kept the patients stable, eased their pain, and kept them alive as the doctors performed their tasks.

The point was to keep the doctors from losing their edge and provide a template for the other mages to follow. Rather than work separately, Jake showed what could be done if they helped each other. The ease of the operation, the quality of the care, and the reduced stress on both of them. In time, Jake also began to explain what he was doing to some of the other mages, offering advice and guidance in hopes that they too might be able to better their use of magic.

Night fell by the time Jake was finished. The number of mages in the tent had dwindled to only a handful who were capable of keeping up and those willing to change their mindset to that of a supporting role beside the doctors and nurses. The chaos quieted down and a steady flow of movement returned to the building as the number of patients dwindled. Tired and worn down, several of the doctors were calling it a night as they were mostly no longer needed. The difficult patients were all stable and recovering, while those left behind were all of minor status or waiting to be moved to the next floor.

The nurses tended to the patients in their cots by providing food, water, clean clothes, and anything else they might need for comfort so long as they could provide it. A handful of mages remained behind, a night shift of sorts, should they be needed in the later hours. Support personnel left after bringing in fresh bundles of blankets, clothing, and supplies. Leaving behind only that night shift of nurses to continue with the grunt work.

Jake gave the tent one final pass through, walking up and down the rows to give each of the men there a final cursory glance. Some of them met his gaze. Others were fast asleep.

“Excuse me.” As he walked down one of the rows, a familiar voice touched him. Jake looked up to see the nurse from the death corner standing there. She was a mess. Her clothes were stained, her face had blood and mud on it, and her hair looked like it was about to fall out of the bun it was tied into. Her light green eyes were the most dazzling part about her. “Myself and a few of the others wanted to thank you. For today and everything you’ve done here. There’s the potions too. I heard you were one of the three in that caravan.”

“There’s no need.” Jake looked down at one of the men. The warrior was fast asleep, his chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm. “I only did what anyone would have.”

The woman frowned. “Not everyone would spend an entire day surrounded by dying men, trying to save as many as they could.”

Hearing the tension in her voice, Jake’s mouth took a similar shape. “I didn’t mean any disrespect, miss.” Jake lowered his head briefly to show his sincerity. “I’m a believer that if you have the ability to do something, you should. You shouldn’t have to be asked to do it.” He straightened up and offered a slight smile. “Consider this a voluntary choice.”

The nurse put her hands on her waist and offered her own smile. “Then I voluntarily ask you to let me buy you a drink. And no, you don’t have an option.”

Jake chuckled and walked past her. “Sorry, miss, but I have work to do still.” He continued his pass through the tent, checking over the men again as he slowly weaved his way to the open doors. The nurse followed behind him.

“Work? What else do you have to do tonight?” She prodded. “It is the night time, afterall. You delivered the potions to us, helped us with all of these patients. Aren’t you an adventurer? Isn’t your job done for this trip until you leave?”

“That’s exactly why I have more work to do, Miss.” Jake stopped beside one of the men. The warrior was having his face patted dry by a nurse. “There is always more work for an adventurer.”

Before the nurse could contest, and as if taking the cue, Jake heard his name ring out through the room. They looked over to see Randal standing by the front desk with a group of knights and a few men who were certainly muscular enough to be knights but were wearing what looked to be noblemen clothing.

“See?” Jake muttered to the nurse. “There’s always another job.” He gave her a gentle tap on the shoulder then made his way to the front of the building, leaving the nurse behind. “I’m Jake. What’s the problem?”

“There isn’t one.” The man standing beside Randal stepped forward and extended a hand. “I am Captain Luther Ravencroft, one of the officers here in the fort.”

Jake accepted the offered hand. Luther’s grip was firm, his hands were thick and calloused. Evidence of many years swinging a sword and fighting. The scars on his arms, on his face, and the figure protruding from his clothes spoke enough about his capabilities and experience.

After introducing themselves, Luther continued. “Most of these men are mine. We just came back from a battle in the Highlands and suffered a lot of casualties. I heard of what was happening and came by earlier, but you were busy. I wanted to thank you for what you’ve done here.”

“No need for thanks, Captain. What put your men in such bad shape? The harpies?” Though he’d asked, Jake doubted Harpies were capable of such egregious wounds.

Luther shook his head and frowned. “Orcs.”

“Orcs?” Jake furrowed his brow, unfamiliar with the creature. What surprised him more was that they were inside of the Highlands.

“I would be happy to explain it to you, but not here. Come with me.” Luther turned and motioned for Jake to follow him, then he and his entourage set off for the command post across the way.

Jake looked over at Randal before he followed. “We’re good for the night. Horses are fed and the Knights have arranged a place for us to sleep. I brought all your stuff there and left it by your cot. There’s a tavern next to the post you can find us at. We’ll keep a seat warm for you.” Randal smiled and patted Jake on the shoulder. “Good work. Thanks for keeping us safe out there.”

“Of course. I’ll finish up then come by.” Jake bid Randal goodbye and followed after the Captain and the Knights.

When they reached the command post, the armored knights broke off and returned to their duties. Leaving behind the Captain, two Lieutenants that were his direct underlings, and an orderly who carried the Captain’s paperwork. They were each dressed rather nicely with soft tan colored slacks, black undershirts, and blue blazers. Each blazer had the symbol of a phoenix over the left breast. They wore leather boots that looked clean and polished but the mud was proving to be quite the enemy for the refined look.

After they stepped into the building, the Captain turned to speak. “Forgive me for not speaking openly in the medical tent. The nurses have enough to stress over so we try not to bother them with more bad news.”

“It’s fine.” Jake figured that was the reason anyway. The same was done in the Ravine when operations were being planned for against the Maedra. The less the civilians and non-combatants knew, the better off they were in most cases. “So? What’s the problem?”

“Do you know much about the Highlands?” The Captain asked as he turned to lead Jake into the building.

At the front of the building, there was a singular rounded desk with receptionists behind it. A set of stairs off to the right led to the upper floor where two doors led to hallways beyond. On the first floor, two similar doors were directly below with one leading to an open room and the other leading to a hallway with various additional doorways. Captain Luther led Jake into the hallway.

“Other than the name, no.” Jake answered promptly, sharing his lack of available information. He should have done research into the Highlands once he knew they were going nearby but he didn’t expect the potential to get dragged into the events surrounding it. By now, he should have. He was well aware of his curiosity and knack for getting his nose stuck in the problems of others.

“The Highlands are controlled by the Harpies. It’s their nesting area and where they live, hence why we’ve named it the Harpy Highlands. There are other monsters that occupy the ground but the Harpies control the skies and the fog surrounding the pillars of rock.” The Captain led Jake down the hallway as he spoke. Most of the doors were closed but those that were open revealed office spaces and rooms with massive tables covered in maps. Men and women occupied all of them, buzzing about the maps and towers of papers organized within.

Captain Luther opened the eighth door from the reception area. Inside, a large circular table occupied the middle of the room and a desk was set on the far side beneath a large window. “We have no problems with the Harpies. In fact, you could say we’re allies in some sense of the word. They don’t allow us passage through the Highlands but so long as we keep to our side of the wall, they also don’t attack us. Consider it a sort of truce between the two sides.” Captain Luther circled around the table to the far side and motioned for Jake to look at the map set out on top of it.

Jake stepped up to the spot directly across from the Captain. “Understood.” He looked down at the map, his eyes taking in the overview of the battle space.

The map was a sketch of the Highlands in all of its winding, confusing glory. There were several yellow circles, marking off where known Harpy villages and camps were. There was a green mark to symbolize the fort in the top corner and then a green line where the border wall had been built. Beside it was a piece of paper with numbers and a list of supplies. Within the Highlands, aside from the yellow circles, were red x’s.

“The Orcs came from the West. We don’t know why but they invaded the Highlands a few months ago and dug in several nests within the region. The Harpies tried to drive them out but were massacred and a large number of them were captured.” The Captain picked up a pointer and tapped on the various red x’s. “These are the known nests the Harpies shared with us. There could be more but we’re not sure.”

Now with an understanding of those involved and where there was contest, Jake needed the problem. The reason why there were so many injured men outside. “If they’re in the Highlands, why are we fighting them?”

“Well…” The Captain sighed and pointed at the wall location. “We set up the wall at least two years ago. Since then, we’ve developed an uneasy friendship with the Harpies. The Lord has made it clear to them that we have no intention of encroaching on their lands and we actually built the wall to show our sincerity. A few merchants come through and just inside of the Highlands they set up a trading post where the Harpies can bring their own goods and buy some of ours. It’s all trading of items, no money, and it’s very superficial. But it’s shown them that we’re serious and they’ve left us alone. There’s been some tension here and there but the Knights here take care of it pretty quick.”

“A few months ago, when those Orcs moved in, the Harpies took a lot of early hits and lost a few villages entirely. The Orcs have since threatened to push into the upper levels of the Highlands and we know that they have no intention of stopping there. It’ll only be a matter of time before they turn their attention north and start attacking us in force.” Luther set the pointer down and placed his hands on the table, leaning over it. “The Harpies came to us seeking help. In exchange for passage into the Highlands where our Adventurers can hunt monsters within the caves there and mine the resources, they want us to help drive out the Orcs.”

“Sounds like those resources are pretty expensive if we’re willing to fight for it.” Jake furrowed his brow as he crossed his arms.

One of the Lieutenants sighed. “It’s not the resources. It’s because our Lord has a thing for monsters.”

“Quiet, Julius.” Luther snipped at his Lieutenant, but the young man just shrugged.

“I’m not wrong, Sir. We all know it.” Julius rattled but no one else in the room voiced their agreement. Captain Luther only sighed.

“Regardless, that’s where we’re at. It’s where we’ve been for the last four months. Hunting down the Orcs the Harpies guide us to and clearing their nests. Except, the Orcs have started to grow in numbers recently. Faster than we can kill them. They’ve also tapped into the metal resources and have started forging armor and weapons. It’s to the point that they’ve almost got a fighting force capable of invading the entire Frontier.”

“I give it three months before they’re spilling over that wall, Sir.” The other Lieutenant spoke up. “Less than that if we don’t get reinforcements.”

“They aren’t coming,” Julius spat.

The other Lieutenant met Julius’s gaze with an unphased glare. “Then we dig in and fight it out alone.”

“Quiet you two.” Luther snipped at them again and straightened his back. He looked at Jake with a grimace. “I normally don’t share information with Adventurers so easily but, I spoke with your drivers, Randal and Bailey. They told me you were a very competent individual and it’s because of your efforts that they reached this Fort. I have experience with Goblin Valley and have made that hellish trip multiple times in my youth. I also witnessed your healing skills earlier today for a short while. If what those two said is true and after what I saw today, I think I consider it safe to say you would be an asset we’d like to take advantage of. If, of course, you are open to helping.”

Julius coughed. “Are you serious?”

“Sir, I think we should discuss this with the Gen-” The other Lieutenant voiced his own protest, but Luther ignored them.

“As an Adventurer, you take tasks and jobs in exchange for money. Yes?” Luther narrowed his eyes.

Jake looked down at the map. “Most do, yes,” he answered as his eyes swept over the map. “I don’t.”

“You- You don’t?” Julius was the one to stumble. The others just looked at Jake, confused.

“I don’t.” Jake leaned forward and scanned the map even closer, burning the routes into his mind. “Money is nice but I’m looking for something else.”

“And that is?” Luther folded his hands behind his back, naturally puffing out his barrel chest.

Jake looked over the map for a few more painfully quiet seconds before looking up at Luther. “A story to tell.”

While the Lieutenants looked confused and didn’t seem to know what he meant, Luther smiled. He let out a laugh and grinned. “Is that so?”

“It is.” Jake placed a hand on the pommel of his spell blade as he leaned away from the map. “How do we speak with the Harpies?”

“Through an Envoy. She comes in the mornings and we conduct a briefing of the day’s operations with her present. She then takes our plans to a contingent of Harpy Guards positioned at the entrance of the Highlands who then escort our men to the designated Orc nest. They do not participate in the fighting, however.”

“Why?” Jake had a feeling he knew the reason but wanted to be sure.

“So that they aren’t kidnapped and used to further increase the Orc numbers.”

That revealed several of the missing pieces and affirmed what Jake was thinking. It seemed Orcs were like Goblins. They took from everyone else and ransacked everything in sight. To reproduce, they needed to kidnap the females of other races and use them as breeding slaves and toys until they were barren. Then, they likely turned the women into meat. However, Orcs were more intelligent it seemed. If what Luther shared was correct, Orcs were capable of not only finding and gathering resources but they could also create equipment. The Orcs had invaded the Highlands likely to get at those metals to make their armor and weapons. The Harpies were also proving to be very capable breeding mares, as the Orc numbers were growing at an astounding rate.

Rooting them out was going to be difficult.

“I’ll help, but I won’t be a part of your daily operations,” Jake said.

Luther frowned. “Do you plan to go in by yourself or something?”

“We can’t let someone just waltz into the Highlands, Adventurer. There’s a wall for a reason.” Julius spoke with nearly a growl in his tone. His annoyance seemed to only be growing.

Jake nodded. “I am aware. I will speak with the Envoy in the morning. Can you arrange for it, Captain?”

Luther sighed. “I can try but I can’t promise it to you. The General is the only one who typically speaks with her directly outside of the briefings. She isn’t fond of us.”

“Ask nicely. If she says no, then it’s fine.” Jake understood his position and made no effort to shoulder his way in anymore than what was offered to him. Just hearing about the situation was enough for him.

Jake was merely a passing Adventurer here and had less stake in the fighting than the horses in the stables. His presence was fleeting and there was no need to involve him in anything more than the delivery of his potions. With him not being a Soldier or a Knight, they had even less reason to discuss anything with him. Captain Luther merely was speaking to Jake on a whim. Luther said that he knew the dangers of the Goblins and if Jake was capable of fighting through there by himself, with two wagons in tow, then he had a feeling this passing Adventurer would be a massive benefit to their strength.

Sharing any more than the current situation and the background of what was happening would border on a potential spillage of secret information. Not that Jake would repeat anything but the point still was there. Captain Luther could tell nothing about their movements or plans. Sharing the locations of the Orc nests and the Harpy villages might have been a bit much, but there was no way for Jake to get into the Highlands anyway to do anything. Or, so Luther thought.

“How do you intend to help?” Luther asked, trying to get a grasp on what Jake might be planning.

Jake reached out, requesting the pointer. Luther passed it to him. With it in hand, Jake pointed out a few of the nests. “First, I want to scout out these locations here. They’re the closest to any of the Harpy villages and I presume they’re either staging areas or occupied by small scout teams. I want to hit these to reduce the proximity between the Orcs and Harpies. Then, I want to attack this nest here.” Jake pointed at a nest near the edge of the Highlands and far to the south. “This is likely where the Orcs are funneling in from. Take this nest here, and you’ll isolate the Orcs inside the Highlands. If they’re getting supplies from outside, the groups stuck in the middle will starve.”

Captain Luther nodded along, as did the Lieutenants. The Lieutenant on Jake’s right opened his mouth. “How do you plan to get that far? There are dozens of Orc nests in between and I doubt the Harpies will let you go that deep into their territory.”

Jake set down the pointer. “Either they let it happen, or the Orcs win. As for the nests in between, I doubt they’ll be active during the day. So I’ll move during the day and attack at night.”

“Do you not plan on taking any of us with you?” Luther asked, noticing Jake’s choice of words.

“I don’t.” Jake jerked his thumb over at a pile of armor in the corner of the room. “You knights are loud and clumsy. You’ll wake up every one of those nests and alert their guards if you try to pass them by during the day. If I go by myself, I can get through without that.”

Luther crossed his arms. “And you think you can take out an Orc nest by yourself? That’s pretty bold of you.”

“I’ll find out when I fight them at their forward nests.” Jake glanced down at the red markings. “If they’re a pain, I’ll have to adjust my strategy and provide you all with more direct support. I can’t stay forever, though.”

“Oh? In a rush?” The Captain asked.

Jake nodded. “A little.”

Messages to deliver and someone to return to. Reasons why he couldn’t waste much time in the affairs of others. However, the Overworld was full of those who could use a helping hand. If he could provide enough support here to these men to get the tides turned into their favor and give them a foundation to build off, then he would do so.

Though, he had a feeling that might not be the case here. As he looked down once more at the map, Jake couldn’t help but notice how familiar this scenario all felt to him. A warring party that was threatening to eradicate the opposition, with the defenders on the brink of collapse. The invaders had the upper hand and were threatening to break the spines of the occupants, daring the warriors doing the protecting to meet them in their nests. All the Warriors could do was march in to their deaths, hoping for some kind of miracle victory.

Jake wouldn’t let them lose. Not again.

He just needed to figure out how he was going to win.

0