31. Dangerous Dealing / Regional Threats
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello,

A large portion of this chapter is a bestiary info-dump on Goblins and Kobolds. The information for these has been organized into Spoilers. Reading these details is not necessary to enjoy the chapter but have been added for reference. Though Jake does respond in some way to what he is reading, they are both outside of the spoilers and reading is still not required for much understanding. 

Be well,

-- J.C.

 

With nothing additional to report, Jake left the Guild and returned to his work. Two of the eight requests were now complete and reported on properly, leaving the remaining six still to be dealt with. The eradication requests could be put to the side for now so he sorted through the remaining four to decide on his next step. With the nests on the other side of the river, Jake doubted the monsters would cause problems to the village for another day or two. They were Guild issued anyway. Thus, taking care of the village residents was a priority over them.

Jake didn’t want to leave the village for too long either. If he had to travel north for any reason, he wanted to only have to make a single trip there and back. One that could be completed quickly so as to ensure he could catch the Guild caravan coming in three days. One day out and one day back meant this would be his prime window to conduct any long distance escort missions. The potion delivery request was something of concern in that regard. There was a destination on the paper but Jake was unfamiliar with the distance and the size of the cargo. He had hoped it would be light, maybe a crate that he could organize into his ruck and carry quickly. If not, Jake wondered if the task could be completed by adding the potion delivery to the caravan’s cargo.

The Apothecary, the issuer of the request, unfortunately explained that the destinations were different. The caravan would lead Jake north, straight north, and upon reaching a key fork in the road the caravan would turn right. Where the potions needed to go was instead to the left, and for another decent distance to a large encampment. Additionally, there wasn’t just one crate but an entire supply of them. Enough to fill two to three carts, depending on how many could be moved and protected at once.

The camp was desperately in need of the potions to replenish supplies for the knights there. From what had been shared, the camp was already rationing what they had left and would run dry soon. The delivery was late due to the lack of available transport and protection, as providing such over a great distance was expensive and difficult. It would take multiple carts and at least a full party of six adventurers, normally. What surprised Jake further was that no one seemed to care.

The fort was a key barrier that defended the frontier from incursions coming out of a place known as the Harpy’s Highlands. While the Harpies living within weren’t a problem, it was the other beasts and monsters living inside that were dangerous. Every so often, a horde would attack the fort and attempt to break out of the Highlands, threatening other villages and the frontier as a whole. Going into the Highlands in an attempt to cull the dens themselves was a death sentence, as the Harpies would attack any Council Races entering the territory. Recently, though, the monsters within had seemingly ballooned in numbers and the regular attacks were wearing on the fort. Should the fort fail to protect the wall built there, then it was likely that the beasts living there would expand northward.

With such a problem dangerously close to becoming a disaster, Jake found it strange that the Lord of the region wasn’t prioritizing shipments of supplies to the fort. At least, that’s what Jake thought because of how desperate the situation sounded.

In reality, the Lord was doing just that. Only, potions in the north were having difficulties reaching the fort at regular, necessary intervals. Both because of long travel time and distance to cover, and due to the dangers encountered along the route. Goblins and Kobolds were attacking down from the mountains, revealing an infestation that Adventurers were trying to reel in. Beasts from the forests were becoming more aggressive. Then there were the bandits, raiders, and rogue adventurers taking advantage of the situation.

Covering such a long corridor was a strenuous task. One that even the military was having difficulty with. The Lord could only send so many knights and soldiers at once with the caravans. The threats along the route could easily plan their ambushes to overcome the protection and there were known pinch-points where the caravans would be exposed or easy to get the jump on.

So, the Lord had put out a personal request to every Apothecary in the frontier that could help. Any potions sent to the fort would be purchased at twice the market price but the Lord could not offer any protection. It would be on the Apothecaries to get the potions to the fort, where payment would be issued. Several took up the offer and many met their end trying to deliver the potions themselves.

The Guild set up contracts, offering protection but even that was tenuous at best. The contracts relied on Adventurer’s willingness to put themselves in danger for several days and the upfront pay wasn’t exactly great. Hardly enough to cover the necessary supplies to deal with all of the potential enemies. Which made the request that much less appealing and the exact reason it remained unplucked from the board.

“How many potions do you have?” Jake asked, glancing around the Apothecary’s shop. The walls were lined with bottles and vials, all filled with liquids of various colors and strengths.

“Enough to sustain the fort for three months,” he said. Quite the amount. “I’ve been making them ever since the order was issued in hopes that someone could take them. As you can see, that uh… that hasn’t happened.” The Apothecary frowned, his eyes flittering between Jake and the paper.

Jake looked out the window as the gears in his head began to turn. The scales of judgment were tilting, weighing options, piecing together the puzzle. Silently, he weighed the stakes of his decision.

The morning was slowly drifting towards midday. If he left now… “Do you have a cart that can carry all of them?”

The Apothecary gripped the counter. “Will you take them?”

For a moment, Jake waited. His eyes stared towards that oh so distant sky. His mind thought of the situation that fort must be in, the conditions those men were in. Then, he thought of the route itself. How many had tried to walk it and bring some semblance of relief to that place? Of those who took the challenge, how many made it? And how many more didn’t?

“I will.” Jake nodded.

“Then I will arrange for it right away.” The Apothecary whistled for his assistant out of the back room and began to scribble down on a torn piece of paper. He filled a purse with coins then passed the young girl both items, practically stuffing them into her arms. “Hurry to the stables. Tell them I need it immediately.”

Confused for a moment, the girl stared at the gold and paper. Then, her brain caught up with her ears. “Yes, Sir.” The girl nodded promptly and rushed out of the shop, her boots carrying her quickly out of sight.

As she was sent away, the Apothecary set to his own task. “Adventurer, please. I need help with these.” The Apothecary waved for Jake to follow him and the two went into the back room.

Behind the main shop was a large space of equal size. Within were various tools Jake presumed were used to brew the potions sold. Along with the tools was a library of ingredients, neatly organized into an array of shelves, bins, and in pots set about the room. Jake gave the room a simple once over before the Apothecary motioned him to the stack of crates and boxes lined along the back wall.

Dozens of boxes were set up, organized and stacked neatly as they awaited shipment. Some were open, revealing rows upon rows of vials and bottles within. All colored a soft blue that reflected both their strength and quality. The Apothecary snagged a hammer from a shelf along with some nails, then he set to sealing those boxes with their lids. While the Apothecary sealed the crates, Jake began to carry them outside to the front of the building. They were heavier than he thought and handling them with care at the same time proved to be quite annoying. They rattled noisily and everytime he set a crate down, part of him wondered if he’d accidentally cracked one of them open.

Jake was a third of the way through moving the shipment out when the sound of horses and creaking wood tickled the air. The apprentice returned with two horse drawn wagons and drivers to guide them. Seeing the crates, the drivers wisely drew the carts to a stop near the stacks in order to make loading them easier and quicker.

Though he had sent for the cart, the Apothecary seemed surprised. “I asked for only one. I cannot afford a second.” The Apothecary then looked at Jake. “And he is only one man. There is not enough protection for two of you.”

The drivers exchanged a brief look before the front driver shrugged. “The old man said to send two. So, we’re here. If you’re worried over the cost then you can bring it up with him but he didn’t exactly let us argue.”

“But there is still the problem of security!” The Apothecary sighed and his shoulders slumped. After hearing about the failures of the other shipments, this certainly wasn’t something he could see as going profitably. Though Jake couldn’t read the man’s mind, Jake could tell he was already marking this as a massive loss. “Two carts…?”

“It’s fine.” Jake assured, hefting the first crate into his arms to be loaded up. “Let me worry about that.”

“But-” Clearly concerned, the Apothecary attempted to continue to profess his discontent. However, Jake made no effort to persuade him. He passed the crate up to the driver to stack on the cart then moved to grab the next.

After a few crates and seeing the Apothecary still standing there, tense and distraught, Jake stopped beside him. “Your task is done, potion maker.” He looked over and slightly up to meet the wavering green eyes of the chemist. “Now trust me to do mine.”

The Apothecary bit his lip, his fingers curling as his forearms flexed. He reached out and planted a firm but shaky hand on Jake’s shoulder. “Those men need these, Mr. Furrow. From what I’ve been hearing, it’s not looking good. I won’t say they are desperate and that their lives depend on them but I ask that you treat this as such.”

“I already am. The sooner we get this loaded, the sooner we can leave.” Jake turned away and continued his work. As the boxes outside dwindled, Jake worked to bring more outside. The Apothecary finally broke out of his stone bindings and set to helping.

The drivers and the apprentice continued to move the boxes into the wagon while Jake and the Apothecary finished bringing everything outside. As they were loaded, an invoice was created and the Apothecary tallied up the number of potions. He continued to bite at his lips and mumbled to himself. He even asked Jake multiple times if he had enough supplies or if he needed more. All to be told to focus on the work and to leave the delivery to Jake and the wagons. He was clearly stressed but there was nothing Jake could do. Until Jake returned with receipt of delivery, the man would have to be patient.

Two hours after the work started, the last crate was placed on the tail wagon and the bracing plank was set in place. The last numbers to the invoice were scribbled down, signed, and the total estimated cost written at the bottom. The representative at the fort would use the cost and market value to calculate the proper price. The Apothecary then provided Jake with a set of requested supplies for the trip. He once more offered to pay for any others but Jake refused. Instead, Jake deferred the offer to the drivers as they would need them more than him. While the drivers and the Apothecary settled the final details of the trip, Jake returned to the inn. He grabbed the entirety of his gear and cleaned the room, removing any trace of him having lived within it..

“Going out for a while?” Realizing Jake was carrying all of his belongings, Ralph called out as Jake walked down the steps. The old man offered a smile.

“I am. Two days or so.” Jake huffed and cinched down the straps of his ruck on his back. This trip would come dangerously close to ruining his plans if he was late.

“Safe travels, Jake.” Ralph offered his words of safety and even offered lunch if Jake wanted, but Jake politely declined. There was no time.

“Thanks.” The Adventurer stepped out of the inn and shut the door behind him. He linked up with the wagons by the gate as requested and dropped his ruck beside the lead wagon. “All set?”

The sight of the wagons full of the crates of potions seemed to have attracted plenty of eyes. Both merchants and Adventurers alike were staring, muttering a mix of confusion, concern, and realization of where they were going. When Jake appeared, his gear at the ready and fully packed for the trip, several began to murmur and whisper to one another about the expectation that they’d never see the caravan again. Jake ignored them, focusing on the task at hand.

The Apothecary finished talking with the Guards. The inspection was finished and the caravan was approved to move. The Apothecary rolled up all of the paperwork into a single bundle, tied it off, and extended it to Jake. “Yes. Are you sure you can handle this alone? Don’t you normally need a party for this?”

Jake huffed and took the papers. “I will be enough. I’ll return with payment in two days at the quickest. Three at the latest.” He stuffed the paperwork into a pouch on his ruck then hefted the bag into the cart. The driver grabbed it and pulled it into a more secure nook so it wouldn’t fall out.

“Good luck, Mr. Furrow. Please stay safe.” The Apothecary stepped back and offered a hand.

Jake shook it, firmly grasping the extended hand. “Will do.” He offered a brief smile, then released the hand. The time for formalities was over. It was time for work.

“Let’s go.” Jake turned and knocked his fist against the lead wagon. A signal to start the trip. The drivers exchanged a final look, then nodded together and snapped the reins. Accepting their task, steeling their own resolve, and putting their faith in the lone Adventurer at their side--the men set to their trip.

The Guards, civilians, and passing Adventurers watched as the small caravan rolled out of the safety of the village. Some Guards offered grim looks as they watched. Adventurers looked on with both sadness and a shake of the head. The only one unconcerned with it all was the man whose boots stepped firmly, decisively, and heavily down on the dirt. His eyes were hard, his hands unshaken. His breath steady and his mind clear. As he passed through the gate, Jake performed a final, quick check of his equipment and his swords, ensuring everything was tight and in place. He tested his mana, checked his flow, and then took in a deep breath.

Exhaling, he set his eyes on the horizon.

These next two days were going to be quite long and he wasn’t looking forward to the mess if he were to make a mistake. He would have to stay on guard the entire time and remain alert throughout the trip. Any slip up could cost him and as a solo adventurer, he couldn’t afford that. For the first few hours, he expected the ride to be silent and undisturbed. But, it was when they crossed out of the village’s protective bubble that trouble would be waiting.

And whatever trouble that was, Jake would be sure to deal with it properly.


Thirty minutes had passed since the village bid its farewell and the caravan was rolling along smoothly.

“At least the weather is good for travel,” The lead driver commented, his eyes drifting across the early afternoon sky. The village had disappeared behind them and the road ahead was broadening. Their destination was far off, well out of sight and sound, but it was already on the minds of the drivers as they both hoped to reach it safely. Safely and with as few incidents as possible.

Seated in the back of the lead cart after having decided not to walk the entire way, Jake sat on top of the crates, facing ahead as he patiently scanned both the horizon and the treelines. Monsters lurked within those forested walls, as did humanoid enemies such as bandits and raiders. When they would come and attack, Jake couldn’t be sure. For at least the first day, Jake didn’t think they would be poked at. Not until the evening.

“Expect it not to last,” Jake stated with a huff. “It hasn’t rained in at least two weeks.”

“That has been on our mind lately, too. The lack of rain might turn into a problem soon.” The driver sighed and leaned back in his seat, searching for a more comfortable position. “Guess the fields up north aren’t doing great. The forest is drying out, too.”

“Fears of poor harvest and fires?” Jake asked, glancing at one of the treelines. He scanned for threats but also took note of the greenery. Along the forest floor, it was dry.

“Mm.” The driver nodded. “The farmers can get water to the crops near the riverfronts and along the waterways, but the inland places will be in trouble if another week or so passes without rain.” He lightly coaxed his horse to the right with a gentle pull on the reins, steering to make room for another cart approaching them. “The forest shouldn’t light up anytime soon but there have been fires before. Nothing dangerous or close to the village but they happen once a season at least.”

Jake tapped his teeth together in thought as he considered the problems of the frontier here. A shortage in harvest up north would lead to a food shortage in the fringe settlements, as shipments would shrink and supplies would become scarce. They could still hunt and acquire meat locally but supplemental foods would dwindle. Living off a pure meat diet wasn’t exactly super healthy. Though, it might encourage some places to plant small crops of their own if they hadn’t already. The village was rather self-sufficient in that regard. There were three plots of potatoes and other small vegetables mixed in which could supply the villagers with something. Their fishing skills would come in handy should the game move away.

“Nature will provide,” the driver chuckled and waved passively at the other cart. The other driver nodded and motioned back. “And if she doesn’t, well then we’ll find a way.” He muttered, staring ahead down the road.

Jake sighed and leaned back against one of the crates. His head tilted back. His eyes lifted to the sky. Finding comfort in the uncomfortable seat, Jake mulled over the passive attitude of the driver. It wasn’t a bad way to think but it certainly was more pessimistic than Jake was ready for. A sort of ‘whatever happens, happens’ attitude. Jake agreed in some ways though. Not letting the little things bother him was a surefire way to keep his head from getting swamped by unnecessary problems.

Though, Jake was also aware that getting lazy mentally could dull his perception of the world. Even more, it could narrow his mind and turn him blind to the important details. Seeing a wide picture and taking in information from every angle would give him the ability to make proper, intelligent choices. Shaving away the less important things might cause him to miss something, or maybe even cause him to cut corners. Something he couldn’t afford in a game of milliseconds.

Musing over how he might want to perceive the world to ensure a balance between a healthy mind and an efficient body helped time pass. After the sun had long drifted overhead and begun to tilt towards the horizon, the driver finally perked up and called out to him. “Hey, Adventurer. I was going to wait until we stopped at some point, but it’s been bugging me.”

“Spit it out.” Jake muttered, opening his eyes. He’d closed them and begun cultivating as well.

“It’s way too late now, but you’re pretty confident in yourself, aren’t you? You sure you aren’t in over your head a little?” The driver peeked over his shoulder. “No offense, but you are just one guy. Two swords or not, it’s hard to see you protecting both carts without some kind of trouble.”

Jake stared at the sky for a moment, contemplating how to properly answer. He could just wave his hand and show off his magic but that might cause some other questions and issues. He might spook the horses too. If a fight broke out, the horses would be the least of their worries, but mid-stride? He’d rather not deal with the clean up if one took off all of a sudden.

“When we end up getting attacked, you’ll see.” Jake elected for the passive choice. Seeing was believing, after all, and nothing would truly put the driver’s mind at ease until Jake proved himself.

“Not even an if in there…” the driver rumbled, smirking. “Are you sure you aren’t just cocky?”

Jake huffed and leaned forward. He placed his hand on the wood, channeled mana into it, and drew an Alert sigil. He set a range of parameters into the sigil, twisting the lines and etching additional runes into the spell’s cradle before injecting enough mana to sustain it for several hours. The driver watched as the mage did his work. His eyes widened a little at the sight.

“I’m going to take a nap. If you get attacked, if something is off, or if someone tries to block the road. Touch this. Don’t shout. Don’t yell. Just touch it. Understand?” Jake tapped the sigil to show how it worked. Beneath his fingers, the Alert sigil flared to life, sparkling for a moment before dimming as Jake reset it.

After staring for a few moments in a mix of confusion, the driver found his voice. “Uh, yes. I got it. A nap? Now? It’s the middle of the afternoon?”

“Yep.” Making himself comfortable in the cart, Jake settled in and shut his eyes. Moments later, Jake felt his consciousness slip. The familiar drifting through the void washed over him as he pulled forward the spell that would connect him to the library. As if taking in a long breath, the sigil drew itself in the center of his mind and pulsated with power. Mana radiated from its core, its dazzling blue lines filling his sight before he felt a deep chill sink into his bones.

The pale white returned to his eyes. The smell of stale air and aged knowledge filtered through his lips. Finely carved stone surrounded him, greeting him and welcoming him in. He could hear some voices beyond the threshold leading to the main atrium and could even see some fluttering wings of the fairies within. Today was lively it seemed. The reason did not concern him, but he always found it interesting how the Library functioned in its own bubble.

Stepping down from the large stone platform, Jake made his way into the main room and set off to begin his day of studying. He gave the area a look over as he reached the staircase, checking for any other occupants aside from the fairies. There were two on an upper level discussing something but they were far too engaged in conversation to notice the third addition to the room. After realizing the time distortion here, Jake realized how improbable it would be to actually come across another individual unless one spent an incredible amount of time inside. He only came across others because he had practically spent half of his life here while in the Ravine. On a regular basis, however, he could see how rare it would be to see another scholar or Mage passing through.

The two individuals conversing were far higher in the Library than Jake needed to go, so he wouldn’t get an opportunity to speak to them or overhear their conversation. He stopped well short and began scanning the shelves within the Bestiary section. Here, where books had been collected on almost every monster and creature known in the Overworld, Jake searched for the species he was encountering within the Frontier. Goblins, Kobolds, Trolls were the main three he had been warned about. However, he also found a book on the Fenris Wolves, as he wanted more information on those beasts from the mountains.

Lastly, Jake searched for a book on the known Guardians. He had encountered the woman in the forest and though their meeting was short, he found her quite alluring. The peaceful air around her. The gentleness to her eyes. Yet the nagging feeling that she had shown herself just to tell to get the hell out. Unfortunately there was no book on the Guardians. Fitting. Likely done on purpose as having a recording of the God’s protective entities could cause problems. Keeping their existence hidden or at least secretive meant the individuals could conduct their tasks in peace without having to deal with unnecessary interference from a nosy bookworm.

Jake plucked a few other books from the shelves. A book on Dwarves, Elves, and Arachkin. Less to learn about their anatomies and more to see if he could learn of their cultures, traits, and histories. Learning about his enemies was one thing but if Jake wanted to expand his pool of allies, knowing how to conduct himself around them would be important. He had learned Elvish and could speak with the Arachkin, but speaking and understanding were entirely separate things. If Jake wanted to truly know these species, he would have to learn of their history, of how they interacted with one another, and of their customs.

Once he had collected enough of what he was looking for, Jake headed down to the study room. Arms once more full of books and knowledge, the man prepared to lock himself away for a few hours. Hours he would spend in silence, scribbling notes down or muttering to himself his idle thoughts. He didn’t think himself much of a scholar but part of him was beginning to think that this would inevitably lead him down the boring road of such a life. He found that strange. A love of being alone in silence with nothing but a book sounded like quite the contrast compared to his love for the chaos of a fight.

Jake paused at the doorway to the study room, his eyes scanning the space as he took note of some new additions to the space. Not in the form of furniture but it was clear that someone else had been here. There were open books, a pad with writing, and even a fresh pen and ink. From the setup, Jake could tell that someone had been here recently. How recent was impossible to know or say but it was almost as if someone planned to return. That, or they left in a rush.

“Hm…” he rumbled, not wanting to be impolite but also not so willing to give up his space. For now, he elected to leave the space alone. He set down his stack of books on the edge of the table and picked up the top three. He didn’t need the table or a chair, so he instead went into the practice room. Jake set the books down on the podium there and set to reading the first he was interested in--Goblins. He wouldn’t meet the Dwarves or Elves for some time and Jake could deal with the Arachkin as things were now. Understanding his current enemy and the more present threat would help him now.

Peeling open the cover, Jake set to his study. The book was organized into four main sections with various categories in each. First, anatomy. Second, hierarchy. Third, fighting techniques, known skill sets, known weapons utilized. Fourth, living conditions, culture, and known bestial traits. The sections were broken down in such a way that one could familiarize themself with the Goblin race in the most basic way possible, quickly. Jake skipped ahead to get an idea of how detailed the book would be and found not only an in depth analysis of the various talking points, but also detailed images and sketches of the Goblins, their weapons, and a layout of a typical Goblin den.

“More than I expected…” Jake mumbled, poking through the book a little before forcing himself to return to the front of it. Before he got distracted and ended up diving into a random page, he made sure to refocus himself to the beginning.

Spoiler

The Goblin race, as known by majority of the denizens of the world, are a race birthed from the belly of the Overworld. A cancerous existence that could emerge seemingly anywhere, in any climate, at any elevation, at any moment. Goblins have been found in every crevice of the world and are the only race known to be able to acclimate as well as the Human race. However, though they can live anywhere and seemingly everywhere, where and when they spawn can be considered predictable.

Goblins cannot survive or repopulate on their own. They do not have the breeding ability to sustain themselves, as there has never been a known or recorded existence of a Female Goblin. Thus, Goblins require other races to reproduce. As if understanding this, Goblins only spawn and appear near civilization. They do not spawn in frontier regions where there is not a sizable population capable of sustaining their numbers nor do they appear in desolate areas. Even if animals and livestock exist in these areas, Goblins will not appear. Hence their nickname, the ‘Scourge of the Council Races’. Goblins exist wherever the Council Races exist, a plague that will forever haunt them.

Anatomically, Goblins are similar to most bi-pedal denizens of the Overworld. They sport a single head, two eyes, typically a pointed nose, angled ears, and have a mouth with sharpened teeth easily capable of tearing through tough flesh. They are typically short in nature, have scraggly limbs, and tend to be very weak and frail. However, they can grow to extreme sizes if overfed and can develop powerful muscles if a Survivor is inadvertently created. Along with sharp teeth, Goblins have razor-like nails on both their hands and feet, both capable of cutting and gripping onto meat and flesh.

Their skin is generally green but the shading can be either dark or light, depending on whether they were naturally birthed from the Overworld or if they were born from reproduction. Darker skinned Goblins are naturally birthed. Lighter skinned Goblins come from reproduction. Goblins will also take on traits of the ‘Mules’, or women, they were birthed from.

  • Goblins produced from Dwarves will be stocky, pot-bellied, and generally grow beards.
  • Goblins from Elven kind will be taller, skinnier, more fair of skin, and sport sharper and longer ears. Their eyes might also be a lighter shade. Elven born Goblins typically have an affinity for Dark Magic as well.
  • Goblins from Humans are flat nosed, average colored, and tend to be more balanced in their stature. Though, their eye colors will typically be the same as the woman who birthed them.
  • Beastkin produced Goblins will be muscular, taller, more ravenous in attitude, and tend to have hairy skin.

The average gestation period from fetus to birth is three days after copulation and impregnation. Elven Goblins generally take an extra two days, while Human Goblins can be birthed as rapidly as a day after impregnation. These quick births, however, are considered “Runt” births and the Goblins produced are typically far weaker and have a lower survival expectancy, especially in harsher climates. Dwarven Goblins and Beastkin Goblins will generally take the average gestation period, only taking longer if the Goblin Baby is of better quality and composition. If the Mother is of good age and healthy, the quality of Goblins produced will reflect.

Along with being unable to repopulate on their own, Goblins are not known to be capable of crafting, hunting, or providing for themselves in any capacity. They steal and take from the local populations, devouring all resources of those areas until there is nothing left. Their hordes grow quickly and an unculled Goblin Horde can easily topple even the strongest of castles simply with numbers. If left unchecked, Goblins will acquire equipment, supplies, and will learn tactics from their enemies. Thus, it is recommended that should anyone come in contact with Goblins, there should be no survivors left of the horde. Surviving Goblins will remember, and they will not forget. Though stupid, they are not fools and should not be taken lightly.

A new Goblin den, however, is considered to be an easy task even for most hunters. Inhabitants are generally unarmed, lack any sense of battle awareness, and the dens generally have fewer than ten Goblins within them. Goblins are not born with any equipment or forms of weaponry but will fight with their nails and teeth. It is recommended to bring a party of three into a brand new den.

A Goblin den greater than two weeks old is considered a Medium threat location. After birth, Goblins will instinctively seek out mates and look to acquire equipment, food, and materials for survival in their environment. If unculled within two weeks, it should be expected that they have found at least four to five victims. They should also be expected to have acquired the basic materials for survival and some semblance of weaponry. Though they cannot craft, Goblins will pick up anything resembling a weapon that they can use to protect themselves. Such dens should be dealt with by a party of at least four but should not need more than seven.

Dens older than two weeks can vary in danger level and should only be dealt with by skilled Hunters or Adventurers. These dens have survived what is known as the “Starvation Period”. Occupying Goblins within are guaranteed to have the basic supplies if not a surplus of resources available to sustain themselves and are to be considered highly dangerous to local populations. They are also likely beginning what is known as a birthing schedule, where captured females are being turned into birthing livestock and cycled through in order to maximize the efficient growth of the den.

Do note: It has been observed that not all dens will naturally start the birthing schedule. Dens that are active, continuously attempt to kidnap fresh victims, and regularly raid populated locations are unlikely to have adapted the schedule. However, dormant dens that raid irregularly should be assumed to be conducting the schedule, as they do not need to regularly replace their ‘Mules’. Such dens are highly dangerous, as they have some form of intelligent leader within them guiding the other Goblins.

These older dens should only be cleared by experienced Hunters and Adventurers. A minimum party size of eight is recommended but should be expanded on depending on the expected size of the den. It is also recommended that the party bring at least one Cleric, Healer, or an individual experienced in First Aid. A magic user is not necessary but a user experienced in traps and ambushes is mandatory for all raids into these sorts of dens.

[collapse]

 

“Mandatory?” Jake mumbled as his eyes drifted over the words. Then, he recalled his own experience with the Goblins. In one of his raids, the Goblins had set up a trap that he disarmed. They also ambushed him at that spot. A party inexperienced with such techniques would’ve been in quite the pinch right then. If the book was mandating an individual familiar with those things to be included in a party, then Goblins were likely repeating such activities in other dens as well. That was good to know. He would have to keep his wits about him on the next raid.

Spoiler

Within newer dens, there is no known hierarchy amongst Goblins. New dens follow a more instinctive survival agreement where the birthed Goblins work together in order to gather what they need to function and survive. They will work as a unit to sneak into nearby occupied areas and will naturally gravitate toward the resources they need. They will avoid fighting at all costs and will return to their den with their prizes. Goblins who return with the most needed resources will be considered higher on the chain and be given ‘first dibs’ on whatever bounties were collected. Goblins who return with women are typically given the first pass.

In some cases, larger and stronger Goblins are birthed. In such instances these Goblins are naturally given the position of leader and will command the rest within the nest. They will centralize the Goblins within the den and coordinate raids on local areas. New dens will prioritize food and women, but will steal equipment should the opportunity reveal itself. They are strangely patient when the nest is fresh and will act only when things are favorable to them. However, should they begin to starve, new Goblins will attack out of desperation in any attempt to gather the resources they need. Dens at this stage can be considered frenzied and should be culled in haste.

After resources are collected, Goblins will naturally divide themselves up into two groups. First, the Raiding group. Second, the Security group.

The Raiding group is composed of the stronger, more respected Goblins within the den. They are typically less skittish and more capable fighters. They will actively seek to arm themselves and will gather both resources and materials to support and develop the nest. They learn quickly and share their knowledge with the nest so long as it benefits the den. However, they are greedy and are known to keep secrets. If they learn something that will benefit them individually in hopes of helping them climb to the role of a leader, a Goblin Raider will keep it from the den. Goblin Raiders are given priority when it comes to equipment and supplies. They are also often given the opportunity to mate with the Mules of the den whenever they like. Raiders that acquire a new Mule are typically given first pass after the Goblin Leader.

The Security group provides active protection around the den during the day while the den is asleep. The Security group is generally composed of smaller, less respected Goblins within the den. They are typically the less desirable members of the den or the least productive members. As such, they will always get the last of the supplies and aren’t likely to reproduce with the obtained Mules. However, they are not to be underestimated. Security Goblins are scrappy and have more to gain than any other Goblin. They are willing to go to great extents to acquire new equipment and renown within their den.

Guiding the Raiding and Security Goblins will always be a leader in some form. In the majority of dens, this leader is simply categorized as a Head Goblin. This Goblin does not sport any unique traits other than his role as the leader of the group. This Head Goblin can usually be identified only by his additional equipment, or by the fact that he gives orders to the other Goblins within his den. He is easily replaceable and these Goblins are often killed by others within their nest should they given an order that ends up hurting the den in some way.

The other more common leader within most nests is a Hob Goblin. A Hob Goblin, or ‘Hob’ as usually said, is a Goblin who has grown in both size and stature compared to the normally child-like Goblins. They typically stand as tall as an average Human Female (between 139cm/4’4 to 165cm/5’5) but can sometimes grow as tall as a Beastkin (182cm/6’). They are muscular, are generally fat, and have more pronounced features. Hobs aren’t generally much wiser than the average Goblin but should be expected to have some semblance of combat ability. Goblins that develop into Hobs are competent fighters and will naturally defeat most lower skilled Adventurers in direct combat. They typically do not carry weapons but are known to utilize blunt weapons in order to break their enemies and handicap them, then either capture them if they are female or tear their limbs apart and eat them if they are male.

Less common but still very prominent within Goblin dens are Shamans. Shamans are Goblins who have developed intelligence and have some grasp of magic. Their magic skills are typically very linear and tend to be on the level of a starter mage. Their skill sets vary depending on what element they have an affinity with, but the vast majority are Fire-aligned and will utilize spells such as Fire Ball. Though few, there are Shamans with an affinity for Dark magic. These Shamans are more skilled due to their nature and can cast medium-level curses and binding spells on their targets. Goblin Shamans are also known to have the capacity to read at a similar level of a child, so do not give them access to any magic tomes or historical material. Shamans known to have access to such things should be executed immediately.

Dens housing a Goblin Shaman will generally have a totem of some kind outside of their nest, as Shamans like to identify their territories. Doing so will encourage wandering Goblins to join the den and will also act as a warning to other Goblin dens with ill intentions to stay away. Adventurers and Hunters can use these totems as identifiers when planning their raids and should adjust their numbers and party compositions accordingly. Any parties attacking dens housing a Shaman should include one additional Cleric and at a minimum one Mage.

Above Shamans and Hob Goblins next are Goblin Champions. Champions are typically Hob Goblins with a higher level of intellect and significant battle experience beneath them. They stand even with Beastkin and sometimes can grow to be even taller. Goblin Champions are known to wear metal armor, carry a range of acquired weapons from their kills, and are also known to carry trophies of their kills with them. Personalities of Goblin Champions vary from tempered to violent, depending on their past experience. They generally keep a slave with them for pleasure and are known to keep a Shaman for advisory purposes as well within their den.

Goblin Champions are known to also be the first level of leader that tend to have a Sphere of Influence. Champions typically control a small area or region and all dens within that region will carry a banner of sorts to show their affiliation with the Champion’s horde. These dens will often work in conjunction with one another, raiding and controlling the area as a networked populace. Regions with a Goblin Champion within them will be more active and will show signs of development by cutting down forests and growing their dens to large sizes. They will sometimes create supply stashes on the surface that the dens can all pick from when necessary and will share amongst one another. Though their numbers are generally high, Champion led regions will only raid to replenish supplies as needed and will often leave local areas alone for longer periods in order to allow the populations to either develop or grow the food the Goblins need.

Regions with confirmed Goblin Champions should be handled by Raid-size parties. Only Adventurers with Guild approval should fight Champions. If possible, please contact the local standing Garrison to have the Den culled immediately.

Above Champions are Goblin Kings, or Lords (the identifier is interchangeable). Kings/Lords command in a similar form as Goblin Champions but will sit above a Champion or two within their region of influence. Goblin Kings are highly intelligent and will often command an army of Goblins beneath them. They will not leave their dens and will grow their horde to massive sizes into the hundreds, sometimes thousands. To accommodate the extensive numbers beneath them, Goblin Kings will often take over abandoned Dwarven mines or will occupy mountains and convert them into massive, intricate underground mazes of rock.

These creatures only come to fruition if a Goblin den is grossly ignored for an extensive period of time. It is recorded that only four Goblin Kings have ever existed. However, of the four, only two have been known to be killed in combat. Two still exist and have resisted multiple attempts to cull their hordes through wit, skill, and numbers. They have developed ways to self-sustain their hordes and no longer require regular raiding of local regions. In fact, one Goblin King is known to have a pact with a nearby Dwarf Fortress. In exchange for peace, the Dwarves offer women, foot, and metal to the Goblin horde.

Goblin Kings are not to be underestimated and a raid should never be attempted by casual Adventurers. Only professional forces of Lords and Knights should ever attempt to fight against a horde with a Goblin King at the helm. Should a Goblin King be found, any survivors should immediately report their findings to the local Guild or vassal.

Turning the page, Jake began reading into the tactics of the Goblins but found most of it to be lacking in substance. Goblins were thieves in every sense of the word. They stole everything from their victims; weapons, equipment, knowledge. Anything that they could get their grimey hands on. If a Goblin fought an Adventurer and won, or survived and ran away, they learned the techniques or at least gained some experience for later. After enough of those moments, a Goblin could become a pain to deal with and might even develop into a Leader of some kind. Jake skimmed over it all and found a similar analysis within the fourth section.

Goblins when birthed would take advantage of the hole they were born in. They’d dig out a large cavern to be their resting place, but then gradually develop the nest to be larger, spacious, and create different sections within it for their resources. One room would be converted into a breeding and child development spot. Another would be a place to store weapons, an armory. Another would be for food. Though, strangely enough Goblins typically didn’t make a designated room for waste. Rather they would create a mound outside of the den to dispose of everything from feces to corpses. Jake found that to be the most strange. However, that waste pile could be used to identify the den as a Goblin nest should there be no security by the entrance at the time or noticeable totems.

Lastly, Jake turned to the information on Goblin culture. Culture that didn’t seem to exist. Goblins were a raiding race. All they existed for was to steal and take. They worshiped a Dark God that there is no known existence of but would only perform rituals when a wise Shaman appeared, and the Shamans only conducted said rituals to gain the faith and devotion of foolish Goblins beneath them. Rituals ranged from sacrifice to strange sexual orgies, but they were very diverse and random depending on what the Shaman at the helm could think of. Otherwise, Goblins even with Kings at their head typically never developed any form of known culture.

[collapse]

 

“Well, that makes things easy.” Jake snapped the book closed with a loud clap and then stared at the cover. No culture. No religion. No reason to exist other than to be a breathing cancer. Thus, Jake had no reason to consider any mercy when dealing with their ilk. Much like Maedra, he could consider Goblins a race to be exterminated on sight. He had already believed them to be such and hadn’t thought them any different than Maedra before reading the book, but the final words were more of an affirmation to his own assertion.

Though his core stance on Goblins remained unchanged and his goal when facing them would also remain the same, Jake did engrain the information on their hierarchy in his mind. Out of everything, those key details would prove to be the most helpful when eliminating the various nests and dens. Knowing the strength of the horde, the estimate numbers, and also the capabilities of those upper echelon Goblins would certainly prove useful. He could adapt his raiding tactics to match the level of the den. However, if he came face to face with a Champion or stumbled into the home of one of those Kings, then Jake would have to make sure his magic was on hand. Dealing with either of them in close quarters sounded exhausting.

Jake set down the Goblin book and returned to the study. Thumbing through the shelf along the right wall, he found his own notebook and flipped to a blank page. He then plucked the ink pen and began to scribble his notes, detailing the new information on Goblins that he may need to reference in the future. Having the book was nice but he didn’t need the ramble about anatomy or the den layouts. Nor did he care for what equipment the Goblins used. What he did make sure to write down were the Goblin’s habits and those details on hierarchy. As a final mark, he drew stars next to the Champion and King descriptions.

He returned the pen to the inkwell and then left his notebook open on the table. With his learning of Goblins finished, he returned to the practice room and plucked the book on Kobolds next. He peeled open the book and found it to be laid out much like the Goblin one. Four sections with the same topics in each. Sketches and drawings of their anatomies, usual layouts of their dens/nests, and an in-depth analysis of the details in each.

Unlike the Goblins, however, Jake didn’t have any experience with Kobolds yet. So he made sure to read slowly and dissect the book properly. What made reading the book easier was the different function of the Kobolds. While Goblins were much like a disease, Kobolds were more like regular animals. Just with intelligence and a taste for Council Race flesh, of course.

Spoiler

Kobolds are a bi-pedal beast race that typically live near populated places but find refuge in the desolate areas most people typically avoid. They like to live in mountains, caves, ruins, and sometimes even build small camps that they gather in. These groups are called ‘Packs’, and multiple Packs are known as Communities. While the majority of Kobold Packs remain in one place after they find a home, there are some which roam an area in a nomadic fashion, essentially following herds of livestock or animals like deer as they migrate. These Packs are known as ‘Roving Packs’ and while generally they are harmless and remain out of sight, can be problematic should the animals they are tracking move near settlements.

Kobolds are similar to that of Wolves or Dogs. They are furred, have long snouts, and their noses are pronounced. They have a mouth full of sharp teeth and a thick, rough tongue that can rip flesh and pull fur from meat with a strong lick. They have clawed hands with slightly pronounced fingers capable of wielding small weapons but will often elect to use their sharp nails instead. Their hind legs are reverse jointed and though Kobolds can stand on them, they are also capable of running on all fours at incredible speeds. They can jump extremely high and are nimble in a close fight. They typically communicate through barks, howls, growls, chirps, and various scents from their urine. Their sensitive nose makes them incredible hunters capable of hunting down prey from miles away. Their pack mentality also makes them dangerous and it is presumed that should you see one, you should expect five others to be watching nearby.

The average Kobold stands between 124 cm/4’1 and can grow to be as large as 170 cm/5’7. The Males are typically much larger, muscular, and have pronounced fur manes down the backs of their necks. The Females are shorter, smaller in stature, and have fluffy tails compared to the Males. Their claws are also usually much smaller, making them less suited for hunting but very capable of defending themselves. Different Kobolds from different regions have been known to sport different colored fur to help them with natural camouflage. Some even have stripes or patches of colors within their fur. To enhance this, some Packs have learned to utilize mud or dye to stain their fur while out on hunts. These Packs are typically older ones comprised of veteran hunters.

Kobolds follow a simply hierarchy similar to that of Wolves, fitting of their nature and anatomy. At the top is an Alpha Male. However, there are no Alpha Females. Females are allowed to mate with any Male they find fitting during their mating cycles. However, the Alpha Male is typically the strongest, most competent fighter among the Pack. He maintains dominance through his strength and physical ability but is also unanimously chosen by the Pack. Thus, most Alpha Males have significant battle experience, are skilled hunters, and capable warriors.

It has been discovered that not every Male can challenge for the seat of Alpha as well. Only similarly respected Males can request a duel, or should the Alpha Male die another will be chosen. Should two Packs meet, the Pack mates themselves will not fight for dominance but the Alpha Males will fight to the death. The winner will absorb the loser’s pack into their own.

Beneath the Alpha Male, the rest of the Males are organized into three groups:

  • Hunters, Warriors, and Escorts. Hunting Males are Kobolds assigned with finding resources to feed and supply the pack. They will hunt for food, water, and have even been known to seek out crops and herbs to gather should it be within the Pack’s Sphere of Influence. Hunters are the most skilled fighters and trackers within the Pack, fitting traits for their efforts in the terrain they live in.
  • Warrior Kobolds train rigorously within the Pack’s home or living area and strictly conduct battle to defend the integrity of the Pack’s home. Any incursions by Adventurers, Hunters, or feral Packs are dealt with by these Kobolds. Warrior Kobolds are the most likely to mate with the Female Kobolds of the Pack, but are actually not given first choice. Though their task is dangerous, they are not as high on the hierarchy as Hunters are.
  • Escort Kobolds are the lowest, scrawniest, and least desirable Male Kobolds of the Pack. They are used as tools by the Female Kobolds and tend to perform menial tasks around the den. They have also been found to be used as sexual toys by the Warrior Kobolds. However, while acceptable in some packs others view it as disgraceful to mate with an Escort Kobold. Kobolds in those Packs caught doing so are typically reduced to Escort Kobolds themselves, or outright banished from the Pack.

Beneath these Kobolds are the injured, the old, the disfigured, and Slave Kobolds stolen from other Packs after battle. Older Kobolds are typically treated with respect and Injured Kobolds are tended to until they recover. Disfigured and Slave Kobolds are utilized mainly for their bodies until they are either killed for their meat or banished from the Pack. Slave Kobolds have been known to be used as bartering tools when conducting trade with other Packs and a single Slave can be passed between Packs multiple times before being killed or banished, depending on their breeding quality.

Female Kobolds are not known to have a hierarchy like the Males, as their general task within the Packs is to produce and raise young, tend to the den, and keep the Males company, but it has become more common to see Female Pack members organize themselves into Circles within the Packs. More desirable Females will often surround themselves with other Females to deter lesser desirable Males. Any Male wishing to mate with her will often require approval from the Circle beforehand. At times, even an Alpha Male can be denied should the Females find him unfit. On the other hand, other Females utilize their gender to maintain dominance by mating frequently and having large numbers of pups who will grow to protect her. Due to these observations, it can be concluded that Female Kobolds have their own culture in a way, and each Pack should be expected to operate differently.

Pack sizes vary depending on location, size of the den itself, and also the available resources of the region near the den. Dens in healthier, more temperate climates can grow to nearly eighty strong. Those in colder, harsher, more resource scarce environments typically stay to less than twenty. Roaming Packs will also keep smaller numbers, but have also been known to grow by splitting into multiple groups and moving as a whole community across a region. Such Packs are considered the most dangerous.

Unlike most other Races of similar intelligence, Kobolds tend to adapt a range of battle techniques and can also craft primitive weapons and shields that they use in combat against Council Races. They have adapted to counter us on a basic level, and will acquire equipment from fallen Adventurers to enhance their combat potential. Most Kobold Packs will make spears and craft axes from stone that they will use in combat. Older Packs with battle hardened veterans will also utilize bow and arrows, hunting and fighting from a distance. No Kobolds have been known to use Magic and there are no recorded instances of a Kobold developing control over mana. However, their adaptability should not be underestimated. It is expected that a Kobold Mage may emerge within the next fifty years (Current Date: ….)

[collapse]

 

…Jake’s eyes narrowed. “Well then… That’s interesting…” The date was smudged. The ink itself was distorted and tampered with, making it impossible to read. The book was old, the pages stained with age and even the bindings were a bit rough. Judging by that, Jake could assume this was written some long time ago. Could that date have already come to pass? The Fenris Wolves in the mountains were capable of using magic to an extent and the Arachkin could use it too. If Kobolds were an intelligent race like them, he figured they might be able to as well. Which meant this text was outdated. That was inconvenient. He had a Kobold den on his checklist to handle. Seemed he would need to keep his wits about him when he eventually challenged it.

Turning the page, Jake continued.

Spoiler

A Kobold den can vary in size, shape, and occupied areas. However, each den is known to have five spaces:

  • The primary space is the Communal room where the Kobolds typically gather when not hunting or performing tasks. Kobolds will watch over their young, eat, craft, and rest here when undisturbed.
  • The second space is the mating room. Though Kobolds will mate anywhere and everywhere as they please, the Alpha Male, more desirable Females, and some more respected Hunters will utilize the mating room for more private and intimate copulation. It is not known exactly why these Kobolds elect to use a separate room at times, as all of them have also been known to perform sexual acts in view of the rest of the den. But it is there.
  • The birthing room. All births are conducted within this room and it is typically heavily guarded when a Female is inside. Pups born are tended to by several other Female Kobolds post-birth and the Mother Kobold is provided water and food until she recovers from the laborious event.
  • Alpha Room. Within each den that is large enough to have one, there is typically a room or space segregated from the main Communal room where the Alpha Male resides.
  • Training room. Not all dens will have a specific room where training is conducted, but all dens do have a designated space for it. Larger Packs will designate adequate space for all Warrior Kobolds to utilize and will often seek new homes should they need a larger space.

Some Packs will create additional spaces should their den allow it such as Armories, stockpile rooms, and even will convert spaces into sleeping spaces. Though, these are not necessary and the Kobolds will organize themselves accordingly.

Adventurers seeking to combat a Kobold pack should prepare for an extensive campaign and arm themselves accordingly. At least three parties of six should be organized against larger Kobold Packs but a minimum of two parties of five for smaller Packs is required to fight them. Kobolds are experienced fighters and unlike most races, Kobolds will actively battle Adventurers both for training purposes and to obtain new equipment. They will raid caravans both for the supplies and the battle experience defeating the escorts will provide. They are known to actively hunt down Adventuring parties within their Sphere of Influence and will sometimes attack small villages as well.

It is recommended to defeat the Kobold Pack through multiple engagements, rather than one direct battle. First, hunt the Hunters. Defeat the Kobolds that actively go out during the day for food and supplies in order to reduce the survivability of the Pack and cause the Pack to retreat to its den. Then, attack the Pack directly to inflict casualties within the Warrior ranks. After regrouping and recovering, finish off the Pack in a follow-up engagement once the Pack is weakened and forced to protect the den. Unlike Goblins, however, it is not necessary to kill an entire Pack should they pose a problem. Simply reducing their numbers or defeating the Alpha and a handful of other strong Male Kobolds will cause the Pack to either relocate or shrink the area it is active in.

Kobolds are semi-intelligent and understand the concept of punishment and danger. Should they not have the strength for it, they will not attack passing caravans or villages. Also, should a village prove itself powerful and capable of projecting power into the area, Kobolds will actively avoid it and the Adventurers moving through the region.

However, while they will react accordingly to the presence of Council Races, they are known to be hyper-aggressive towards Goblins. They will actively hunt Goblin nests within their Sphere of Influence, as Goblins have been known to attack Kobold Packs, raid their dens, and even steal Kobold Females. Though, a Goblin-Kobold child has never been seen or recorded. Thus, it is presumed Goblins use them as sexual toys rather than as reproductive Mules).

Kobolds are Warriors, and their culture reflects this. They place strength and ability above anything else. They are very resourceful and favor individuals who prove themselves as productive for the den. Male Kobolds who often return with resources are rewarded and typically are known to mate more often. While those who are less so are shunned and sometimes banished from the Pack. Weak pups are kicked out or punished for their fragility, where the strong are bolstered and catered to positively. They are not known to be religious and do not have any rituals or other strange customs.

They are known to have a barter system between Packs and some have even been known to make trade pacts will small villages should relations be developed, which has led many to believe that Kobolds can be reasoned with to some extent. However, some villages who have tried to take advantage of these relationships have found themselves at odds with the Packs and were either raided or outright destroyed as a result. Should individuals attempt to foster such a connection, it is recommended to be able to show strength equivalent to the Pack’s beforehand.

[collapse]

 

“Barter with the Kobolds?” Jake mused, closing the book as he reached its end. An interesting concept but one he personally found to be an odd choice for the typical individual. While Jake himself wouldn’t find it odd, as his relations with beasts was unique in its own way, he found it strange that someone was actively suggesting to do it. In a scholarly book no less. Were there more people out there who actively communicated with Beasts and Monsters? Were there groups, people, or individuals who found a way to speak to them just like Jake had?

Gnawing on his cheek, Jake thumbed through the book, tapping his fingers on the text and glossing over the sketches as he considered that possibility. The possibility that there might be another individual who might share his view of the world out there in some fashion. He returned to the study room, staring and flipping through the book until he was standing over his notebook. He nabbed the pen then began to take his notes, as usual.

Suddenly, he heard someone clear their throat. “One moment…” he muttered, his eyes narrowing as he continued to scratch the pen across the paper. His eyes flicked between book and notes, etching down the fine details.

Wait. Midscribble, Jake perked up and straightened his back. His fingers clutched both book and pen as his eyes settled on the invader of his space. An older woman stood in the doorway, her hazel eyes set behind a pair of large circular spectacles. She had a curly brown mane that draped over her shoulders, spilled down over her back, and dangled a little in front of her eyes. She wore a hooded blue cloak tied around her neck that draped down over her body. Beneath the cloak, a simple set of pants and a neat shirt covered her rather average looking frame. Though, the boots she had on were well worn.

“Who are you?” She asked, her voice akin to the chirping of a singing songbird. Sweet like candy to his ears. She didn’t seem too concerned over his presence. She wasn’t standing defensively or trying to antagonize him but she seemed curious. The book in her hand told him she was also here to do some form of studying.

“Jake Furrow. And you?”

“Clara Endalton. Sorry, but I was using this room?” She walked slowly around to the left, eyeing the stack of books Jake had added to the table. Though perturbed by someone else being in her space, she seemed exceptionally curious. She looked at the book in his hand, squinting slightly to see what he might be holding.. “Kobolds? These are all bestiary books.”

“They are. I’m studying the various races I plan to encounter.” Understanding that the conversation was likely going to be lengthy, Jake returned to his scribbling.

Clara watched him, her eyes flicking between the book and his notes. “Quite the strange infatuation. Are you conducting some sort of research on the creatures?”

Jake paused, the pen tapping against the page a few times as the wheels in his mind spun. “In a way, I am.” After coming up with a satisfactory answer, he continued to write.

Clara hummed lightly, as if accepting the answer but not wholly. Her curiosity nudged her onward. “For what, may I ask? Are you an adventurer of some sort?” She set down the books in her hands on the table across from Jake and leaned forward just a tad so she could see what he was writing.

“Yes. Something like that.” Jake mused, feeding her another half-answer.

What he didn’t realize is that his responses simply fueled her innate desire for more. “A mage adventurer? Those are quite rare. And you plan to encounter these beasts? For what purpose? The Guild? Research? What do you hope to gain by observing them?”

As she continued to talk, Jake stopped writing. He held the pen in his fingers as he stood up, his eyes meeting hers. “Two things. One, to find their weaknesses to make them easier to deal with. Two, I wish to learn about their species. If they can be communicated with, I would like to try it.”

Clara’s eyes widened and her fingers gripped onto the back of the chair in front of her. “Communicate? You wish to talk with the monsters?”

“Aside from Goblins, yes.” Jake set down the book in his hands and also returned the pen to the inkwell. “Goblins cannot be reasoned with. Like the Maedra, they simply exist to be eradicated at every opportunity. But Kobolds have shown signs of intelligence and understanding.” Jake tapped his fingers together for a moment, then decided to turn the pages of the book to the final chapter. “There have been instances of remote villages establishing connections with Kobold tribes. Not in the sense of setting up trade but establishing boundaries that the Kobolds have respected. Nothing long term, of course, as the Kobolds eventually resorted to attacking the villages, per their nature. But it shows that they aren’t like Goblins.”

After being pushed the book, Clara picked it up and began to read the pages offered to her. “I have heard of it before but never considered it a possibility. They are monsters, after all.”

“We see monsters as threats because of the prejudices developed against them,” Jake said, causing Clara to peek up at him. “If we change that prejudice, we might learn more about them than previously thought.”

“You mean you want to become friends with them.” She lowered the book, her eyes narrowing. “I can’t say that many in the Overworld would agree with you.”

Jake scoffed. “I never asked for that.” He shrugged and huffed. “It is for my benefit to learn these things and develop these relationships. Not for the Overworld.”

Clara’s eyebrows furrowed and she set the book down. “What purpose do you have to make friends with monsters?”

“Mutual development,” Jake said flatly.

“I don’t follow,” she muttered. She then gestured for him to continue.

Tapping his fingers together again, Jake pieced his thoughts. “The knowledge we have of the Overworld is limited to what we perceive and what we can discover. Our Magic abilities are similarly limited. However, in recent times the magic abilities of the Council Races have dwindled to a mere fraction of what they were capable of before. Monsters, on the other hand, have only grown stronger in every facet. Why is that?”

After some thought, Clara responded. “I would think peace would be a good reason. There’s no need for advanced magic anymore in the current times.”

“Correct. The Council Races live in relative peace. Their numbers, strength, and expansion across the Overworld have made it easy for them to live quiet lives, largely undisturbed unless they choose to take a more difficult route of living in a frontier region. Monsters do not have that luxury.” Jake looked around the room for a moment, considering trying to find a map. He ditched the idea.

“They are hunted both by the Council races and each other, like typical animals living their lives. They do not have the safety of walls or villages. Some develop communities to enhance their survival, like Kobolds, but creatures like the Arachkin do not have that. They live alone. Fight alone. Die alone. They must evolve, grow, and develop both their physical and their magical prowess to ensure their survival in even the harshest of environments.”

Clara looked down at the Kobold book and brushed her fingers over the pages. “So you wish to befriend these creatures to learn about them, their magic, and their fighting abilities?”

Jake nodded. “For the most part, yes. The Kobolds may not offer magic skills as it is not in their nature to know it or use it. However, they hunt. Their tracking skills are unmatched even when compared to local hunters and their Warriors are similarly exceptional. Making an ally of such a race might allow me to learn those skills.”

“What of the Arachkin? A spider race like that seems… impossible to befriend. I also can’t see much reas-...” Mid-sentence, her mouth stopped moving. She blinked. “Arachkin magic.”

Jake smirked. “Second only to dragons, the Arachkin are some of the oldest intelligent, magic using beings in the Overworld. Their magic is unparalleled compared to the Council Races and some of the oldest Arachkin might even be said to be on par with Dragons.”

“They even have a Guardian…” Clara mumbled, her eyes widening. “You want to befriend the Arachkin to learn their magic.”

“Correct.” Jake nodded.

“But why? For what purpose would you need to learn these things?” Clara walked over and pulled the Arachkin book from the stack. “This Library alone is a testament to the magic skills of the Council Races. Though much of it is forgotten, I cannot see why you would need to study anything else.”

Jake shrugged. “Personal choice, I guess. You’re right. This Library has a lot, if not everything a typical mage might need. Battle magic that can wipe out a Goblin nest. Every language necessary to communicate with each of the different races. Maps and historical texts to learn about how Magic came to be, how it developed, and even how it fell so that we don’t repeat the mistakes. There’s even books on all the different sects of magic and cultivation…” Jake turned to the shelf behind him, his fingers tracing over the spines of the various books.

“...but what I’m looking for isn’t here.” He mumbled, his fingers stopping on one of the Fundamentals of Magic volumes. “The knowledge I require can only be found in the Overworld itself.” His tone was a bit heavier than he planned, by accident of course, as his mind drifted to the visions he had in the Ravine. The visions of that man in the dark, who towered over him and kept him pinned in place merely by looking down at him.

Clara’s jaw tensed, her cheekbones flexing as she stared at Jake’s back. “And what is it you seek?”

Jake went silent, his fingers tapping the book. A heavy, tense moment passed before he turned and offered a smile. “Even I don’t know that yet, but I feel myself searching for it. That something, that missing piece.” He sighed and returned to the table. “I read these books, learn these spells, fight monsters and adventure so that I may see the world for what it is. I wish to experience great things, encounter various monsters and people. I want to go on grand adventures that I can reminisce on when I grow old and share them with my children and grandchildren…”

“...but I’ve learned that there’s something else I’m looking for too. Something that I can’t put to words quite yet.”

“And you believe you’ll find that something if you befriend monsters?” Clara asked, her tone a hint sharper, as if questioning him now.

Jake met her eyes again. “Is there something wrong with that?”

Clara didn’t look away. “That depends. If you do not even know your own goal for learning these things, then doesn’t that leave open the potential for you to become a dangerous mage in the future?”

Jake felt the air shift as she stared at him. Her hazel eyes glistened.

“Are you going to kill me?” Jake asked.

“No. Something tells me I would be unable to, but I am tempted to raise an alarm.” Clara’s fingers squeezed the book in her hand. “Announce the emergence of a potentially dangerous mage who wishes to befriend monsters. Spread your face through the Mage Guild and have them deal with you.”

Jake huffed. “A tall task. The Overworld is quite large.”

“True.” Clara nodded in agreement. “However, I think your description would work quite well. There aren’t very many mages of your stature, complexion, and age.”

“Quite the threat. All because of my wish to befriend monsters?” Jake mused.

“Befriending monsters is not the issue. It is the concern of what you might do afterwards.” Clara sighed and her shoulders slumped. “Regardless of my concerns, there is a reason we do not speak of the Library beyond its walls. What you study here is your own business and none of my concern. Though it terrifies me to think of some mage running around amassing an army of monster underlings, I feel it safe to say that it is not your goal. I doubt Lady Ferynith would permit access to this place if it was.”

Jake chuckled and nodded. “Yea, I don’t think she would let someone like that in here.”

“Arachkin, though?” Clara muttered, looking at the book in her hands again. “How do you plan to do that? They don’t even speak.”

“They do.” Jake spat without pause.

The hair on Clara’s neck stood on end. “What?”

“They do,” Jake repeated. “They speak a form of Beast language. An old, forgotten dialect. It’s very unique to them because of their jaw structure but it also utilizes magic to project their words. They also use pheromones but I, of course, can’t use those. So I just speak to them normally.”

Clara held up a hand. “Wait. You’ve already spoken to them? When? Where? How?”

Jake smirked and stifled a laugh at her sudden interest. “Another secret. Sorry. I made a friend who taught me magic who was an Arachkin. He is why I’m here, actually.”

“A friend Arachkin…? An old dialect of Beast…?” Clara’s voice trailed off as her eyes drifted to the book. “Interesting…”

Jake stared at her, watching as she began to flip through the book in her hands. Her mouth moved slightly as her thoughts seeped out of her mind. She mumbled to herself a little then brought her thumb to her teeth, chewing on the nail. Just as she took a step to start pacing, she turned to him again. Her mouth opened to ask a question, but she stopped herself. She clapped the Arachkin book closed and set it down on the table. She took in a long breath, then exhaled and seemed to recenter herself.

“I’ve wasted enough of your time. Thank you for chatting with me. You can have the room. I’ll return another time.” Clara offered a fleeting smile then turned and left the room, her heels clicking loudly as she seemed to rush off. Her nail found her lips again as she started to chew on it some more.

From what Jake could see, something had set off her researcher instincts and she was now off on a trail for some kind of information. Likely a question had come to her mind that she wanted to answer, or there was something bugging her about it now that she wished to smooth out.

While curious to find out what she might be thinking, Jake had his own worries to deal with. As it was, he didn’t have much time in the first place. It was a miracle that he hadn’t been disturbed by the Driver of the cart yet and he was fully expecting to be called back to the Overworld at any moment. If he was guesstimating correctly, it was likely approaching the evening depending on how much time had passed. Now that he thought about it, Jake hadn’t been using the hourglasses to time himself. A slip of the mind since it had been so long.

Jake let out a tired sigh and glanced down at the Kobold book across the table. After that conversation, he didn’t quite have the mind to continue studying. It felt as if his energy had been sapped from him and he didn’t have the motivation to continue reading. His notes were mostly done and everything left wasn’t exactly necessary to scratch down so this would be a good place to stop if he wished to.

“It’s always something,” he mumbled, sighing again. He stared at the table, his eyes looking over the mess that woman had left. He looked to the door towards the atrium, then made the decision to clean everything up. He closed the books, stacked them up, and then fetched the books from the practice room he’d left inside. Once everything was together, he left the study and started for the stairs. He was about to start going up them when a fairy dove down to him.

“Hello Mr. Furrow. Are you finished for today?” She asked, smiling as she hovered just off to his right.

“I am.” At his words, the Fairy nodded and poked the books.

“I see. I can put them away for you! Thank you for coming by!” She gave him a tooth-filled smile of joy as she fluttered back, taking the books from him with her magic.

“Ah-” Jake was going to oppose, but she had already activated the spell and it honestly was her task. On top of that, what else did she have to do? “Alright. Thank you for your help.”

“Mhm! Take care and be safe!” After a brief bow, the fairy fluttered up into the air, dragging the books behind her as she raced towards the upper floors. Jake watched her until she disappeared onto the correct level, then he too went about his way.

Triggering the sigil at the entrance, Jake slipped away from the library and dropped into the abyss for a brief moment. His consciousness returned and his eyes opened in the Overworld. Greeting him was a soft blue sky, a sky that was darker than before as the sun had dipped behind the treeline. Just as he thought, it was going to start getting dark soon. He sat up, the motion catching the attention of the cart driver.

“Oh? Finally awake?” The driver asked, looking over his shoulder.

Just as he asked, something glinted in the treeline.

“Fuck.” Jake spat, noticing the reflection of light.

An arrow emerged from the treeline, signaling that Jake had returned right on time for the chaos to start.

Wonderful.

0