Chapter 61: The announcement (CSUB3)
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wei:

I am together with Rodger and Dar’uni in a studio. There is an entire camera crew, made up from Dru’dru. The three of us sit opposite Ania’dafne and Fir’dans. There is a countdown on a screen right above the empty seats for the audience.

I decided that it will be for the best, if there was no one inside the studio bar the people needed to record the announcement. The timer counts down to 0, and then there is a green dot showing on it. I stand up from my chair, and face the cameras.

“People of Olradus 600, our home is no more. Yet, that doesn’t mean that we are without a home,” I take in a deep breath, and then continue. “For now, you are to remain in the crystal. It is my decision, as Supreme Overlord, that you are to not try and go outside. The planet that we live in now, is to be named Phoenix 1. A nod to the fact that we rose from the ashes of Olradus 600. Homeless, but unharmed.”

I go back to the chair, and look at Rodger. It is his turn to stand.

“Now, according to our estimates, it will take us about 100 years to turn Phoenix 1 into something livable,” Rodger says. Ania’dafne covers her beak with her flippers. “But fear not. You will be provided for, while in the crystal. That said, we will begin your training to get some knowledge which will help you land a job, once the planet is good enough to populate.”

Rodger sits, and Dar’uni is the one to stand next.

“Dru’dru! I know that there are some among you that will never see Phoenix 1 going from a rock in the Cosmos, to a vibrant planet. Full of live, and with fertile land. Yet, do not despair. You will not be made to feel useless. More than that, we will gain a home, which no one will take from us. That is because people think that we are dead,” Ania’dafne gasps at that. She looks at Fir’dans, who picks up his microphone.

“Dar’uni, what do you mean by that?” Fir’dans asks. Dar’uni looks at him, and then speaks.

“There is an evil weapon smuggler, who tried to use our deaths in such a way, that will cause a war in the Old Cosmos. The Gorgon has too many resources for us to combat her. As things stand now, we can’t even avenge our planet,” Fir’dans stands then, leaning on his healthy flipper.

“But we can’t let this woman get away with this! For how long are we going to be led by the beaks? First Alena Naria proved to be a false friend, and now we have an enemy from whom we have to hide? Are we really so weak, Dar’uni?” Fir’dans’ outrage is clear to be heard.

I feel it too. If I was back on New Ursula 590, I would have talked some dungeon cores into helping me. Yet, just the thought that my home planet will end up attacked next, gives me the shivers.

“We are no fighters,” Dar’uni bows his head, then. “But we don’t have to be. Remember, when the humans forced Flor’ani and me to fight, we were spared from death only because we refused to do so. A Dru’dru is no fighter, Fir’dans. Our mission in life is to be happy. If the world at large thinks we are dead, then we will be safe.”

“How do you know that?” Ania’dafne asks. She looks confused. “What if the Gorgon finds us. Here, so far, away from any space armadas, or helpful planets. We will be cornered.”

“The Gorgon wants to make a statement out of us. How is she going to do so, if we are in the middle of nowhere? I doubt that she cares whether we are alive or not. What she does care about, is the rising tension in both the Cosmos and the new Cosmos. A tension which will help her sell weapons,” I say, voicing the thoughts I have been pondering on. Ania’dafne turns to me.

“Supreme Overlord, sir. Can’t you simply create mobs, to combat the evil Naga woman?” The female Dru’dru asks. I straighten up in my seat. This is a hard question. One that I have wondered about during the centuries.

“Most mobs are intelligent beings, Ania,” I tell her. “No different from Dru’dru. Unless they are small, and their brains simple. Like Tim Samkiel’s ants. What I can create will feel pain, fear, anger. If I create something intending to let it fighting my battles, then I will be wielding a double-edged blade. For, my creations will rebel, sooner, rather than later.”

Ania doesn’t look convinced. Dar’uni opens his beak, and speaks as well.

“If the Supreme Overlord creates mobs that will act as soldiers, then he would be no different from the humans who experimented on Flor’ani and me. He has his morals, and he must live by them. Dru’dru, nothing bad will happen to us, as long as we remain in here,” Dar’uni says, and I nod along. Time for the last message of the day.

“The crystal will be on a lockdown, from now on,” I say, my tone full of finality. “You will spend a life of luxury in the crystal for the next 100 years. I will provide you with everything you need. Already, I am producing mana from the rocky surface of Phoenix 1. Remember, Dru’dru, and you, incubi and succubi of Olradus 700. I am doing this so that I will never have to go to a mass funeral. Don’t do anything drastic. Be happy, and I will be happy as well.”

The cameras are turned off, after that, and I look at the two TV hosts.

“You have objections?” I ask them. Ania’dafne shakes her head, but Fir’dans looks me straight in the eyes. His defiance obvious for all to see.

“If Olradus 600 is not avenged, then you shouldn’t be a Supreme Overlord,” the penguin says, and Ania’dafne gasps.

“You can’t speak to Master Wei like that,” she scolds. Her fiancé just narrows his eyes at her.

“We are citizens of the Cosmos. We deserve better than to hide. This is a golden cage you are offering, Master Wei. We are a free colony of Dru’dru. Or have you forgotten?” Fir’dans asks. I go to him, and kneel before him, so we are eye level.

“I know that you must feel as if you are robbed of the justice owed to you,” I say, placing a hand on his shoulders. “But do you really want this justice so much, that you are willing to get it at the price of everyone in this crystal? I am too weak to face a weapon’s smuggler, who has bombs that can destroy a planet. I told you once before, that your voice matters. It still does. Help me protect everyone, Fir’dans. Don’t stand against me.”

Fir’dans nods, but I know that he is still against the idea of hiding. I will have to block him from leaving the mind palace, with a special barrier. Bar him from getting a Dust-co, as well. I just hope that Fir’dans doesn’t slip through my fingers.

0