Chapter 70: The birth of a star (CSUB3)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rodger:

It takes a lot of mana, to create a star. Yet, there is nothing more beautiful, than the rays of light bathing the landscape. Now that the light shines down on Phoenix 1, I can see that there are all kinds of minerals jugging out of the rocky surface.

I sway in my spot, my mind foggy. Maybe I should lay down? I slither to the nearest chair, and sit down. It is a big rocking one. Facing the screen.

You don’t know how much you have missed the light of a star, until you have gone an entire year without it. Tonight, we will see Nathaniel’s moon up in the sky. I hope Wei is happy.

If I had more energy, I would have begun to create an atmosphere. Yet, I feel too tired for words.

I close my eyes, and drift off. When I wake, Wei is sitting in a chair next to me, staring at the screen. He has a soft smile on his face. I yawn, and stretch my arm, so I can rest it around him.

“Soon, we will manage to populate the planet,” I say, and Wei nods.

“Yes, we could. Although, it is mostly made from rocks and minerals. The material will have to be eroded, so there will be soil. I guess, I need to create some worms, to make sure that the soil is fit for plant growing,” Wei says, as he keeps on staring at the moon. It is a bright new moon. No asteroids have yet slammed into it. Seeing as Sandy has placed shields around it, none will ever slam into it.

“Do you miss Ursula 590?” Wei asks suddenly. I blink at that.

Do I miss my home planet? Was I happy there? I’d like to believe that I had my good moments. Yet, they can’t compare with my time in Olradus 600, or even here, on Phoenix 1.

“I’ll be fine,” I answer, for I have no other answer to such a question.

“The Cosmic police is doing a crackdown on everyone who worked with Alena Naria. She will stay into the asylum indefinitely,” Wei says. I hum at that.

“Is it wrong, that I pity her?” I ask my husband. He sighs.

“No, it just means you are a good sort,” Wei says, and I blink at him. “Other people in your shoes would have screamed for her blood.”

“I wanted that as well. To see her gone, so she won’t be able to ruin our lives,” I am not proud to admit that I wished death on a sick person. Yet, I won’t lie to Wei. He needs to see me for who I am. “If Tony hadn’t brought us here, I would have pushed for her execution.”

“You were squeamish, when we killed the Gorgon,” Wei reminds me. I close my eyes. Albena is still an open wound to me. No matter what I do to take my mind off her death.

“She used to be my wife,” I tell him. “We had a child together.”

“What happened? I don’t peg you as the type to hand over custody to anyone,” Wei asks. I feel a bitterness on my tongue. This is an old wound, yet, if I don’t show it to anyone, I will never get help for it.

“Karl died in a mountain, all alone. You see, it was his thirteenth birthday, and he wanted to hike Mount Durr. The thing is, that mountain is mostly wild, with just the occasional tourist trail. He went off the trail, and was eaten by an anaconda,” it is still hard for me, to voice this. Wei places a hand over my shoulder.

“And you think it is your fault?” He asks me. I nod.

“If I was more serious. If I have simply told the boy that he has to take care... I was a bad example for the kid. Always sneaking around to do Brain Scramblers. Not even the threat of my public image tempered me. I guess, he wanted to show me that he can be just like me. I won’t do the same with Daniel. He will have a responsible father. A good example on how to behave,” my tone is hard, yet it does waver at the end.

The only thing I want from life, is for my family to be healthy and hole. Daniel must grow up knowing that his actions have consequences. He must value his life first and foremost.

“I am glad you will make the effort,” Wei tells me, as he brings me closer to himself. “But don’t become the boring parent. Daniel will not toe out of line, if you show him, you can goof off, from time to time.”

“I am scared, phoenix,” I say, as I take in a deep breath. “I feel it in my bones. This is not over. We killed two people who wanted to destroy us, but how many remain?”

“It is ok to be scared,” Wei murmurs, as he pulls me ever closer. I rest my head in the nape of his neck. It is good, to simply be held, and to be able to hold someone. More than that, it feels right, that Wei is by my side. “Give it time, and you will be able to face your fears.”

“I wasn’t much help, when we were attacked,” I voice my biggest regret. “I let you fight alone.”

Wei sighs then.

“I wasn’t alone. I had a team of dungeon cores, and shamans. I have Tim under contract. You don’t need to fight,” Wei says, and I sigh then. It is an exhausted sigh. I feel so stretched, these days. Something tells me, this doesn’t have anything to do with the fact I just created a star.

“I don’t want to ever rejoin the world,” I don’t clarify. Wei’s face is an emotionless mask, but I can see the understanding in his eyes. Those dark orbs are ever so expressive. Never has a lie found itself in them.

“If you want for that to happen, it can be arranged. But not for forever, Rod. I can’t become a jailer,” Wei’s words weight heavily on me. It is so terrifying, that one day, we will rejoin the Cosmos. That our enemies will find out about us. Then, we will need to fight again.

“Please, keep us a secret at least for a little while. Until the case closes,” I plead with him. He kisses my hair, and nods. I am still a ball of nerves, but I feel lighter, with such a promise.

0