Ch. 14 – Signature Catchphrase
150 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Charmander looked like a cool Pokemon. Obviously, not literally cool because Charmander is a fiery fire-spitting Pokemon. The ball of flame on its tail attested to that. But personality-wise, he gave cool vibes. 

 

I could feel it in his composure: the yawn with a laid-back nonchalant attitude, his subtle unrushed movements as he sat up knowing he was a boss, and the pulled-back shoulders that oozed of confidence. Posture made a man, or a Pokémon in this case. All of it and the fact that it was Charmander cemented the coolness factor.

 

I had to act cool, too, if I wanted to be friends. 

 

Be cool. Be cool. Be cool, Sax. You got this!

 

My usual happy face turned expressionless in my attempt to imitate the ’I don’t care but care, attitude.’ Trying to be suave, I popped up my right fuzzy arm and said, “Yo.”

 

In the most surprising thuggish voice, Charmander spat back, “Da fuck you starin’ at?” 

 

Damn! I was shooketh. My cute yellow fuzzy self’s attempt at being cool turned into shock as my jaw dropped and my mouth turned into a big ‘O.’ Not exactly the kind of cool I was expecting. Charmander was a real G—for gangst’a. Real G-like. His penetrating glare and lifted corner lip from annoyance reminded me of walking into gangsters—not to be messed with, by the way.

 

I knew better than to play with fire, literally. The ball of flame on Charmander's tail burnt sharply brighter. I gulped, seeing the fire lizard push off the chair and walk right up to my face. 

 

“I said da fuck ya lookin’ at? You wanna go?”

 

I trembled inside. My curiosity for Charmander was faced with the literal face of a gangster-like Pokemon. Intimidated? Yes, a little. My teenage years were plagued with hoodlums. Cower away? No way. Bruh, I’m a Pikachu! My electric guns, sparking from my cheeks, versus a fire-breathing flamethrower? We pretty evenly matched, ‘G.’ 

 

“Yo, yo, yo! I ain’t scared of you!” I said with a snap of my head, trying my best to be thuggish, too. I flailed my arms out, puffed out my chest, and swerved my upper torso like a top-notch badass. But my heart was slightly faltering. I was sweating inside. I was no ‘G.’ 

 

It reminded me of the time when I had to act tough in my past life not to be taken lightly by wannabe gangsters in my teenage years, else I faced continuous harassment. I had to keep up my act. “We at the Pokemon Center, this ain’t your territory, foo’. I can look at whatever the heck I want. What you gonna do about it?”

 

I was not the greatest at using stronger swear words. It just wouldn’t have the same kind of effect as how Charmander naturally used them.

 

“Cut the bullshit. Ya got a problem with me, then deal wit’ it like a real Pokemon. Catch me outside.”

 

I momentarily paused at the famous catchphrase. I couldn’t help but smile and nod my head to some funny and fond memories. “Damn, that's a real good one!” I imitated the spunky reply I recalled Baddie using from my memories of a certain TV show, “Catch me outside. I haven’t heard that in ages! Dr. Phillips and Baddie-“

 

I saw Charmander’s face of, “da fuck?” I completely lost my hoodlum persona, recalling the TV reality talk show. Internally, I facepalmed.

 

He backed up a little and hissed, “So ya think ya all that ‘cuz ya know some doctor and some baddy?”

 

It was over; nothing more to hide. I failed at my theatrics and broke character. If I were shooting a movie, the Director would have said, “Cut! Retake!”

 

I quickly shook my head, in pure denial. I personally did not know Dr. Phillips or Baddie. I only saw them from afar behind a phone screen. “Oh, no. I was just saying because you used a signature catchphrase that I was familiar with. It’s actually very fitting for the moment.”

 

Charmander was weirded out, not understanding a single thing I said. I could tell by the disgusted but confused look that never left his face this whole entire time. Friends with this Charmander was no longer an option it seemed. I sighed. 

 

“Ok, you can have your territory back. Peace out, G. Bye.”

 

Saluting with the peace sign, I turned around and hopped over Charlie’s lap, leaving a dumbstruck Charmander to ponder over my words. Trying to go back to where Squirtle was, Charlie abruptly stopped me and lifted me up. The sudden movement surprised me as I looked up at Charlie’s confused face. I sighed again as my head and shoulders drooped down. I waved for Charlie to come closer so I could tell him the contents of my secret conversation with Charmander in human speech.

 

Charlie brought his ear to my face, and I covered it with my hands before whispering, “Charmander’s a really cool and spunky gangster, huh? He said he wanted to catch me outside.”

 

Charlie snapped back and gave me an odd look before glancing over to the cool gangster Charmander, who glared at us with a face like he was lambasted, meaning violently assaulted. But I was the one verbally assaulted.

 

The cool trainer, beside Charmander, looked over and made a weird face, asking, “What was that all about?”

 

“Oh, Sax said-“ Charlie stopped his sentence upon seeing the arched eyebrow above the confused eyes of Charmander’s trainer before adding, “Oh, Sax is my Pikachu. He said your Charmander is pretty cool.”

 

He was about to ask more, I’m sure. Charmander wanted a fight but was surprised yet again by my trainer calling him cool. But a lady walked out from the door past the rows of seats and called out a few names. The group of trainers around us stood up one by one with their Pokemon in hand and walked further into the Pokemon Center.

 

Calling out the last set of names, “Grant and Charmander,” the guy next to Charmander, whose name I guess is Grant, grabbed Charmander and stood up. Grant looked at me under the brim of his low-tilted navy-blue hat with what I could only describe as a serious face before walking away.

 

That was weird. I thought he maybe wanted to fight me, too, or something. The trainer I meant. Bruh, I’d take you on! This Pikachu isn’t afraid of you! Maybe Charmander, but not you! Haha!

 

After they all left, Charlie peered down at me with curiosity ridden all over his face. With no one close by, he whispered, “I thought Charmander was going to fight you. You had me worried, Sax.”

 

Charlie had no idea he was more right than ever. I whispered back, “No, you’re correct, Charlie. That Charmander wanted to step outside for a fight. I guess I ogled at him much too long.”

 

I saw a gleam in my trainer’s eye, “If you’re up for it, let’s battle them next!”

 

I pondered a bit but hesitated. Strange that I felt more intimidated by Charmander than Ursaluna at the moment. I think my teenage trauma was deeper than that of Ursaluna’s. But thinking about how I faced off Ursaluna gave me some courage. There was no way Charmander was as badass as Bloodmoon Ursaluna. And I was a pretty decent fighter myself.

 

“Yeah! I’ll teach that Charmander who’s the real gangster!”

 

“Yeah! But…uh, minus the gangster, though, Sax. You don’t want to be associated with any of the criminals. But it will be good training, Sax! And it will be fun, too!”

 

The suggestion reminded me that I didn’t know much about my trainer’s intentions. Curious about his dream to be the very best, like no one ever was, I asked, “Hey Charlie, what is it that you’re trying to achieve? As part of our deal, you’re going to hell me find Ho-oh. What about you? What are you trying to do right now?” 

 

I also wanted to get past level 100 and see what Missing No. would do. What’s supposed to happen then? I could only wait to find out. Level 100 was a long way from my current status.

 

Charlie looked at me, and ‘the look’ snapped me out of my thoughts. There it was! That itch. The passionate drive I saw in my trainer before. He looked at me with a serious gaze. However, although he looked at me, he was really seeing beyond me and anything here. He burned with desire for greatness beyond the confines of this place and his current standings, and I could always respect that.

 

“First is to conquer the circuit. I can figure out the rest after I can at least do that much first.”

 

“Circuit?” It was an unfamiliar term that I was not acquainted with.

 

“Yeah, Kanto’s Circuit. We take a journey around the region to defeat the gym leaders to obtain badges to qualify for the League Tournament.”

 

“Oh! The Pokémon League! So, you guys call the gym part a circuit? Okay, I know what you’re talking about now. So what’s your first gym going-“

 

I answered my own question. “Pewter City. Oh, this is a bad match-up.” Suddenly, my head jerked over, scaring Squirtle, who listened to our conversation.” My eyes gleamed with nefarious intentions as I continued, “Bad matchup for me, but we have a secret weapon here, don’t we, Squirtle?”

 

“Squirtle, Squirt?”

 

“Pika?” I asked, meaning, “Beg your pardon?”

 

“I said, who is the secret weapon? And stop making jerking motions!”

 

I scratched the back of my head, “Hehe, sorry. My bad. Of course, you’re going to be our secret weapon, Squirtle. We have to whip you into shape, Ghe, heh, heh!” 

 

My imitation of Gengar’s laughter creeped out my new water Pokemon buddy, but Charlie broke into our conversation.

 

“How did you know, Sax? You’re right. The first gym I wanted to take down was Pewter City because Squirtle would likely beat Brock and his rock-type Pokemon.” However, my trainer looked at Squirtle and solemnly stated, “We still have much more training to do though.”

 

I smiled with an evil grin, turned around, and sat down on Charlie’s arm. I was like a cute and evil villain, being held in the arms of my subordinate. Haha! Yes! This is how it should be! My hands came together at my chest, and my fingers sequentially tapped against each other in a continuous motion as I chuckled with mischievous intent. It was finally time to tease back Squirtle!

 

“Pika!” I shouted, meaning, “Squirtle!” I continued speaking in Pokemon. “On behalf of our trainer, I shall whip you into shape for the coming gym battle! Prepare thyself, my minion!”

 

Deadpan. Squirtle didn’t like the idea. “I only listen to Charlie, and you are not Charlie. Get out of his arms. He’s only supposed to hug me!”

 

I grinned, turning around and giving Charlie a snuggle while smirking at Squirtle. Charlie giggled and patted my head. My teasing snapped the turtle Pokemon. He was much faster than I had seen him before. With speeds like a Quick Attack, he pulled himself up the chair handle and leaped into the air, heading straight at me. Charlie had some quick reflexes, wrapping one arm around Squirtle and hugging him into his chest.

 

“Come here too, Squirtle! Let’s all hug!” Charlie warmly exclaimed, pulling us into his firm embrace. His cheeks and chest squished and squeezed us in a happy moment. 

 

Squirtle hugged back, desperately clinging onto Charlie and trying to hold onto his position as Charlie’s number one Pokemon. He could have it. “Just messing with you, Squirtle. We in this together!” 

 

The turtle Pokemon pouted, and I smiled, wrapped my arm over Squirtle’s shoulder, and embraced the moment as I enjoyed it with my new group of friends. Poor Pidgeotto. He didn’t get the chance to enjoy our little moment of bonding.

 

“Charlie, Sax, and Squirtle?” A nurse walked out behind the door and called out our names, stopping our little time of fun.

 

“Here!” Charlie shouted back. Looking back at us, our trainer said, “Okay, Squirtle and Sax. Let’s get you two checked out.”

 

“Squirtle! Squirtle!” The water Pokemon said with a happy nod, meaning, “OK, Charlie!”

 

I, however, gulped and guarded my lower half. Medical exam, here we go again.

5