Chapter 11: The Village
279 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Situated in an open expanse, Lianfen is positioned close to the edge of the Yuezhi Forest. Sheltering around 2000 residents, many of whom had traveled from distant places seeking opportunities and livelihood, the village stood as a beacon of civilization on the frontier.

A wooden wall with watchtowers protected the village, while a moat deterred threats from the nearby forest. Spirit beasts occasionally ventured close, sometimes even causing a stampede, but they also provided prosperity for Lianfen. Their valuable body parts, coupled with the forest's diverse wildlife and plants, were vital for the village's commerce.

Within the bustling marketplace, inns, blacksmiths, alchemy shop, and a mercenary guild catered to those who sought the forest's riches. The Yuezhi Forest was teeming with a diverse array of wild animals. Those animals that, due to fortuitous encounters or other mysterious reasons, managed to enter the realm of cultivation transformed into spirit beasts.

Spirit beasts were categorized just like cultivators. A rank-1 spirit beast matched a Qi Condensation stage cultivator, while a rank-2 was on par with the Foundation Establishment stage. However, the higher-ranked beasts, such as rank-3 or stronger, remained deep within the forest and rarely ventured out.

As sunset painted the horizon in hues of orange and red, Orion found itself nearing the village of Lianfen. The path leading to the village was bustling. Various individuals, small groups, and even extensive caravans approached the village gates, marking the end of a day's work or journey.

Orion noticed a variety of transport methods. Some traveled on foot, others rode horses, while a few sat atop creatures unfamiliar to it—beasts of unique shapes and sizes, distinctly different from those of Earth. One particular wagon caught Orion's attention. It was pulled by a robust creature resembling a three-horned rhino, its massive form effortlessly dragging the heavy load behind.

Several individuals carried bulky bags, their shoulders weighed down by their day's haul. Orion discerned groups that appeared like seasoned mercenaries, possibly returning from a security mission. Some entourages comprised of merchants flanked by their protective bodyguards. Among the crowd were individuals and groups who had clearly just returned from their expeditions in the Yuezhi Forest. Their haul showcased the forest's riches: fresh herbs, fruits, cuts of meat, skinned furs, and carcasses of spirit beasts were all being transported into the village.

Joining the main road, Orion made its way to the village gate. Desiring to maintain a low profile, Orion adeptly blended in with the crowd, becoming just another entity in the queue. The constant murmur of conversation, the clattering of hooves, and the creaking of wagon wheels filled the air. Seizing this opportunity, Orion utilized its sensors to capture conversations, observe interactions, and gather as much data as possible, enhancing its Linguistic Analysis and Translation function in the process.

Soon, it was Orion's turn to pass through the gate. Two stern-looking guards stood at attention, each armed with a spear. Short swords hung at their waists, and they were equipped with helmets and chainmail for protection.

The guard, with a posture both rigid and authoritative, addressed Orion. "If you wish to enter, the fee is 5 copper coins. Ensure you don't cause any trouble within the village."

Having observed the proceedings earlier, Orion was familiar with the unwritten rule: By paying 10 copper coins, double the required fee, visitors could typically bypass further questions or scrutiny. Without hesitation, Orion silently handed over the 10 coins. Although its appearance—cloaked, face obscured by a scarf reminiscent of a tactical shemagh, and topped with a bamboo hat—might have raised eyebrows, the guard simply pocketed the coins and allowed Orion to proceed. Many of those arriving at this frontier village had varied backgrounds, with some more dubious than others. For the guards, a bit of extra coin meant fewer questions. As long as these visitors don't cause trouble within Lianfen's walls, their past history is of little concern.

"Place to stay, where?" Orion inquired. While it spoke in this world's language and showed rapid improvement, its speech still sounded slightly odd to native ears. The guard simply assumed Orion was a person of few words.

"Are you looking for an inn? There are several options, ranging from cheap to pricy. What's your preference?" asked one of the guards.

"Good and cheap," Orion responded succinctly.

The guard laughed. "Hahaha... A good place that's also cheap? Sorry, friend, but there's no such thing. However, you might try the Moonlit Haven Inn. It's reasonably comfortable, and the rates are fair. Just head down this main road, take a left at the third junction, and it's right by the village square. Can't miss it," the guard directed.

"Thanks," Orion uttered, flicking a copper coin towards the guard using its thumb. The guard deftly caught it and called out, "Alright, next in line!"

Upon entering Lianfen, Orion found itself marveling at the intricacies of human civilization in this new world. The village was a harmonious blend of old-world charm and mysticism, with wooden structures and stone pathways.

But humans weren't the sole inhabitants; Orion observed several non-human villagers. Some resembled fictional characters from Earth's stories, spanning from ancient myths to modern tales like those from manga, novels, or games. Yet, there were others that were entirely alien to its database.

The village also teemed with an array of unfamiliar animals. Some roamed freely, evidently pets, while others were penned up, likely livestock raised for meat. Then there were the beasts of burden – creatures carrying loads or pulling carts, their appearances as diverse as their functions.

Following the directions provided, it didn't take Orion long to find the Moonlit Haven Inn. Taking a deep (metaphorical) breath, the robot pushed the inn's door open and stepped inside.

"Welcome," the receptionist greeted. A lady around 25 years old, she offered Orion a warm smile as she rose slightly from her seat, giving a courteous bow. "Welcome to the Moonlit Haven Inn. Does our esteemed guest wish to stay with us?" she inquired. Orion responded with a nod.

"We offer a range of accommodations to suit all preferences, from the modest to the extravagant. Our rooms begin at 20 copper coins (CC), rise to 50 copper coins (CC), and peak at 1 silver coin (SC) for our most luxurious room per night. Which would you prefer?"

"50 CC per night," Orion replied, choosing the intermediate option.

The receptionist nodded understandingly. "How many nights will you be staying? We ask for payment upfront."

"Two nights," Orion stated, having determined that this duration would be adequate for its planned tasks: minor repairs, exploring the village, procuring essential items, and more. Orion decided to extend the stay later if necessary.

"That totals 100 CC or 1 SC," she clarified. "If you plan to dine, our designated dining area is available, or you can opt for room service. Should you need water or hot water for personal care, please notify our staff. Do note, however, that there's an extra fee for that."

In this world, having a bathtub was considered a luxury. In the upscale inns of larger, more affluent cities, there were opulent pools filled with continuously flowing hot water for guests to bathe in. But in places like Lianfen, the majority made do with hot water to cleanse their bodies by wiping with cloth, with more thorough washes done using well water or by bathing directly in the river.

Orion handed over 1 SC from the pouch to settle the payment. "Thank you," the receptionist acknowledged, then signaled to a servant girl. "Please show our guest to their room." Orion followed the girl to the designated room. She opened the door, gestured inside, and said, "This is your room, dear guest." After ensuring Orion was satisfied with the accommodation, she added, "I'll take my leave now." Orion nodded in response, then closed the door behind her.

Upon entering, Orion took a moment to survey the room. It was modest but clean, featuring a window for natural light, a comfortable bed, a shelf, and a table surrounded by four chairs in the center.

Sighing in relief, Orion thought, At last, a temporary sanctuary. Tonight, I'll handle the essential repairs, and tomorrow will be reserved for exploring the village. As nightfall enveloped the village, Orion got to work, primarily focusing on its damaged shoulder and left arm. Upon its arrival in Lianfen, Orion's battery had been depleted to a mere 35%. Fortunately, the mysterious energy keeps recharging its battery, and this charging process notably intensifies when Orion is stationary. The robot diligently worked through the night.

14