Chapter 15: Eyes in the Sky
242 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The discovery that cultivators emitted radio signals cleared up Orion's previous confusion, but it also dashed its hopes of finding an advanced civilization.

Cultivators cultivate by absorbing Qi and storing it in their dantian, resulting in a high concentration of Qi that causes natural phenomena. Their dantian naturally and continuously emit radio signals, but the cultivators themselves are unaware of this and do not understand the concepts of radio waves and radio signals.

Cultivators have the ability to detect others' cultivation bases by sensing their Qi fluctuations. They can easily detect those with lower or the same cultivation realm, but it is challenging to detect the cultivation base of those with higher cultivation levels or those using concealing techniques. However, Orion possesses a unique capability not found in this world: the ability to detect any cultivator's cultivation base regardless of their cultivation level. It does so by using a multi-band phased array antenna to detect not Qi fluctuations but radio signal emissions, giving Orion a unique advantage.

When Orion first arrived in this world, it failed to detect the radio signals emitted by cultivators because the signals were quite weak. Now, in the village, Orion was picking up numerous radio signal sources.

After gathering enough information in the guild building, Orion decided to return to the inn. While walking, Orion paused for a while in the village's small open field at its center. Sitting on a bench under a tree, with the cool wind blowing and the sun setting, casting an orange hue across the sky. Orion observed the field where children played and villagers relaxed along the perimeter.

"Cultivation world and cultivators, huh..." mused Orion.
Coming to terms with its new reality, Orion began adjusting its strategies. In this world, might makes right and the strong prey on the weak. In a realm where Orion lacked facilities or spare parts for repair, survival became paramount. It pondered: How could it ensure its own survival? How could it secure resources and materials, or even manufacture spare parts? What about self-defense capabilities? Should Orion seek the protection and support of a powerful backer? As it delved into these considerations, its attention was diverted to children flying kites in the field. Orion's optics zoomed in, captivated by the kites soaring high.

The kites in this world are very unique, Orion mused internally, a flash of inspiration emerging from its AI. Next objective confirmed. Standing up, Orion approached a nearby stall selling kites.

Noticing the approach of the cloaked figure, the drowsy stall owner, hand resting on his chin, perked up. "Interested in buying a kite?" he inquired.

"How much does it cost?" Orion queried.

"5 CC for the small kite, 10 CC for the medium one, 20 CC for the large one, and 30 CC for the specially designed one. If you'd like a special color, that would be an extra 3 CC," the stall owner detailed.

"What material is used to make them?" Orion pressed.

"They're made from the wings of the long-tailed fly. It's lightweight and strong. I craft these kites myself and can guarantee their quality. They fly well and are durable. Your child would surely love it," the stall owner boasted.

Orion inspected a kite closely. "I'll take the small one. By the way, where do you source the long-tailed fly from?" Orion inquired, handing over the 5 CC.

"You wish to make your own kite?" the stall owner speculated.

"Perhaps, something along those lines. I'm also curious about the long-tailed fly," Orion replied.

"You can find them in the grasslands to the south, not too far from here. Alternatively, the market sells their wings. I buy my kite-making materials there. Would you like a special color for your kite?" the stall owner inquired.

"No, this will suffice. Which stall sells the long-tailed fly wings?" Orion pressed.

"It's located in the western section of the market, where animal and spirit beast parts are sold. For precise directions, just ask around," the stall owner advised, handing Orion the small kite.

"Thank you," Orion said, then headed towards the market. In the midst of its journey, Orion handed the wrapped food to some beggar kids from the slum area and told them to share the food, as Orion only ordered the food to secure a table in the restaurant, and not wanting to be encumbered with carrying it around anymore.

...

As the beggar children eagerly began sharing the food, one of them stood slightly apart, gazing intently at Orion's retreating figure. To think that I've come to rely on the kindness of strangers just to survive, he mused internally, a bitter tinge in his thoughts.

Once celebrated as a prodigious talent, he hailed from a renowned cultivation family. Gifted with an extraordinary cultivation root, he had access to the finest cultivation resources, was surrounded by numerous followers, and was the object of admiration for many, especially from the opposite gender. Moreover, he was betrothed to a beautiful fiancée from an influential family. Life seemed destined for unrivaled greatness. Yet, fate had other plans. His family met a tragic end at the hands of enemies. The engagement with his fiancée was rescinded by her family, and she coldly turned away from him. Even his sect, where he was once revered, abandoned him after his cultivation was cruelly crippled during a confrontation with his enemies.

Now, hiding in this inconspicuous village, he had fallen from the soaring skies to the hard, unforgiving ground. Yet, as he chewed on the food, he silently vowed that this wouldn't be the end of his story. The fires of revenge burned bright in his heart. One day, he would kill all of his enemy. He would prove to his ex-fiancée, her family, his former sect, and all who had doubted him, that he would rise once more, mightier than ever. They would deeply regret the day they turned their backs on him as he ascended to the pinnacle of the world, standing tall above all.

...

After asking around, Orion located the stall that sold long-tailed fly wings. "Hello, I want to buy some of these wings, and do you perhaps also have long-tailed flies that are still alive?" He pointed towards the displayed wings.

"Welcome, welcome... yes, we have not only the wings but also living long-tailed flies. They're in the back; please come with me," the stall owner replied, leading Orion to the rear.

In the back of the stall, various animals and spirit beasts were being processed, their valuable parts extracted and meats being cut. Among them was a very large dragonfly, just like from Earth. Here it was called a long-tailed fly, but Orion chose to register it as a dragonfly.

"So, how many dragonfly wings and live dragonflies will you need, sir?" the owner inquired.

Orion observed several dragonflies of different sizes, all still larger than the ones on Earth. "Are the dragonflies only available in these sizes?"

"Yes, we only have these. Most are green dragonflies which are common. The largest one is a rank-1 spirit beast, the red dragonfly. The regular ones are mostly used for making kites due to their lightweight and sturdy wings. For the red dragonfly, both its wings and exoskeleton can be utilized. However, it's quite rare and we only have a small number of them," the owner explained.

"I'll buy 2 green dragonflies and 4 pairs of green dragonfly wings," Orion said, calculating that it would suffice for research and development.

"That would be 12 CC," the stall owner replied.

After settling the bill, Orion eagerly headed to the inn.

Upon entering, the receptionist eyed Orion curiously. This customer had been moving in and out multiple times throughout the day, always returning with a rattan backpack full of various items. Now he had returned with a basket brimming with scrolls, books, a kite, and two live dragonflies. "What is he up to? Is he planning to eat those?" she pondered.

Recalling the prior altercation with the bandits and the challenges faced during the encounter, Orion was resolute in its intent not to be caught in a similar vulnerable situation. Although it hadn't found a way to bolster its strength, Orion identified an avenue to enhance its situational awareness: by deploying additional "eyes" in the sky.

With its limited equipment and spare parts on hand, Orion decided to concentrate on experimenting with and dissecting the dragonflies for observation and once back at the Lander, the focus would shift more intensely to the project. Orion's AI was already formulating the design and blueprint. The robot dedicated the entire night to this innovative endeavor, paving the path for the first drone in the cultivation world.

12