Chapter 18: Another Trouble
227 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Previously, after returning to the lander, Orion repaired its left shoulder, left arm, and other damage completely then Orion undertook some modifications to its left arm. Drawing from the previous experience where it successfully utilized electricity to electrocute Hu Zhao, Orion integrated several small copper plates into its palm and fingers, connecting them to its internal electrical cables. This innovation effectively transformed Orion's hand into a DIY electroshock device. For longer-range confrontations, Orion designed a projectile-based electroshock weapon that fires two sharp electrodes, each connected by a cable. The projectiles, each launched using its own coil spring, extend Orion's electrical reach.

In addition to these innovations, during its downtime while constructing drones, Orion also explored the crafting of DIY tear gas canisters. Using various items procured from the market in Lianfen and principles similar to fire extinguishers, Orion developed its tear gas solution.

The canisters repurposed by Orion were originally designed to store compressed CO₂ for cleaning Martian solar panels of dust. An alternative method for cleaning the solar panels involved using an electric compressor to blow compressed air onto them. While effective, this method wasn't as portable or straightforward as simply using a canister. Orion saw an additional potential in both the canisters and the compressor technology. The robot's design for the tear gas involved storing a blend of finely ground spices and medicinal herbs in a canister, which was then pressurized with air. Once triggered by a significant impact, the pressurized air propels the spice mix outwards. These powders, when airborne, irritate mucous membranes, especially the eyes, nose, and mouth, and can induce a burning sensation on the skin and in the lungs if inhaled.

The efficacy of the tear gas was undeniably demonstrated by the miserable state of the wolf pack. Orion also has canisters containing poisonous powders, but it opted against using them due to the proximity of numerous humans.

"Quick retreat! Don't get caught up in that smoke!" Orion advised Li Jun.

Li Jun, who had previously believed he was on the brink of death, was momentarily stunned by the abrupt turn of events. However, Orion's shout snapped him back to reality. Grabbing his sword and still slightly weakened from the wolf's howl, he limped back towards Orion.

"Thank you. I can't begin to imagine what might have happened had you not intervened," Li Jun expressed, cupping his hands and bowing slightly in gratitude.

Orion nodded slightly in response, crossing its arms over its chest and observing the situation with the wolves.

Before long, the smoke dissipated. Most of the wolves, having run wild in their disoriented state, had already fled into the distance. Only a few, including the two-tailed wolf, remained nearby.

"Can you handle the wolf leader now?" Orion inquired.

"Yes! Leave it to me," Li Jun replied. With renewed confidence, he slowly approached the two-tailed wolf that lay whimpering on the ground.

The two-tailed wolf weakly opened its eyes, which were still streaming with tears from the pain. Spotting the approaching figure, it managed to stand, baring its teeth, and charged in a berserk rage.

Li Jun stood his ground, ready to sidestep the oncoming charge. Holding his sword pointed downward, it began to glow with a radiant blue light. At the precise moment, Li Jun deftly dodged to the side, simultaneously swinging his blade upwards. The sharp edge met the wolf's neck, causing a deep gash from which blood poured profusely. Due to the effects of the tear gas, the two-tailed wolf's accuracy, speed, reflexes, and power had diminished, allowing Li Jun to deliver a potentially fatal blow.

The remaining wolves were quickly dealt with, ensuring the caravan's safety after the harrowing attack. As the guards and passengers began tending to the wounded and cleaning up the aftermath, many approached Orion to express their gratitude. Due to Orion's significant role in defusing the dangerous situation, a newfound respect for Orion blossomed among the caravan members.

Li Jun approached, offering Orion the fur and the spirit beast core of the two-tailed wolf – the only valuable parts of the creature. The spirit beast core functions similarly to the dantian possessed by cultivators. Without hesitation, Orion accepted the offerings, storing them in its storage ring.

He truly must be a cultivator if he can utilize a storage ring, Li Jun mused internally. Knowing that storage rings were both rare and expensive, combined with his inability to discern Orion's cultivation level, Li Jun surmised that the gap between their cultivation bases must be vast.

They continued their journey, soon reaching a rest area. This stopover was a simple clearing in the heart of the woods, fortified with a modest earthen mound and a rudimentary wooden tower, designed to defend against animals and spirit beast attacks. By the time Orion's caravan arrived, several other groups—be it caravans or solo travelers—had already set up camp within the compound.

"We've reached the rest area. Set up camp; we'll rest here tonight and depart early tomorrow," instructed Li Jun. "Feel free to explore the compound, but don't stray too far."

Upon his directive, the guards and passengers quickly disembarked from their horses and wagons. While some busied themselves with setting up camp and unloading supplies, others hurried into the nearby woods and bushes, heeding nature's call.

Orion disembarked from the wagon and took a moment to observe the various individuals within the compound. Notably, there was a significant number of cultivators present. Based on the radio signals they emitted, all were of the Qi Condensation realm.

"Sir, please feel free to explore the compound," Li Jun said, his smile perhaps a touch too polite. "Rest assured, we'll take care of your accommodations and dinner." It amused Orion to see how Li Jun's demeanor had shifted towards overt politeness. In this world, strength clearly commanded respect, and Orion decided to play along.

"Thank you. I think I'll get some fresh air," replied Orion. With that, Orion began wandering around the compound, eventually making its way deeper into the woods. After a while, it stumbled upon a clearing. A drone descended from the sky, which Orion promptly grabbed and stored in its storage ring, trusting the safety of the compound given the presence of so many cultivators.

The night at the rest area buzzed with activity. While some stood on guard, the majority immersed themselves in vibrant conversations, hearty laughter, songs, and interactions with members of other caravan groups. People from Orion's caravan recounted the day's harrowing wolf ambush. Their tale captivated many. As the narrative unfolded, listeners reacted with gasps, expressions of surprise, interjections, cheers, and laughter, riding the emotional waves of the story.

Orion's reputation surged within the rest area. Tales of how he had detected the ambush, aided in the battle against the wolves, and crucially shifted the tide of the situation were widely discussed. Yet, while everyone spoke of his exploits, the subject of their admiration and praise was nonchalantly lying on a comfortably made bed, draped in soft fur bedding, feigning sleep. After the events of the day, Orion gained a reputation in the rest area as the mysterious man clad in steel armor, a man of few words with an unfathomable cultivation base.

The night passed swiftly, and by early morning, the caravan was ready to continue its journey. Several groups, also bound for Yanjing, decided to join Orion's caravan for the trek. Others set off in different directions, heading to various destinations.

By midday, the expanded caravan, now consisting of multiple groups, decided to take a brief respite. Orion ventured into the woods, some distance from the main path. There, it retrieved the drone that had been flying since morning and swapped it for a fresh one. Once the new drone took flight, Orion returned to the group. The caravan set out again, expected to arrive in Yanjing before sunset.

High above, the drone detected a heat signature moving towards the caravan. Fortunately, it wasn't wolves like the previous encounter. Zooming in for a closer view, it revealed a girl, about 13 years old, running towards the road. This time, Orion simply observed as the girl rapidly approached the caravan.

"Help... HElp... HELp...HELP" The girl's cries grew louder as she neared, catching the attention of the caravan. As she continued to scream for assistance, the caravan came to a halt.

"Little girl, what happened?" Li Jun inquired, moving closer to her.

"Senior brother, Senior Brother Jian, please save him! I beg you!" The girl pleaded.

"Calm down first," Zhang Feng interjected soothingly. "Tell us your name and what exactly happened. Can you explain it clearly?"

Tears streaming down her face, the girl began to recount her tale. Her name was Xia Ling. They all hailed from the White Crane Sect, and there were four of them on this trip. Their goal had been to carry out a seemingly low-risk mission assigned by their sect in the woods. However, they never expected to run into a pair of Vermillion Clawed Bears, which were Rank-2 spirit beasts. This was equivalent to a cultivator of the Foundation Establishment realm. In contrast, her team was made up entirely of cultivators in the Qi Condensation realm, with the most powerful among them being her Senior Brother Liu Jian, who was at the 8th stage of the Qi Condensation realm. It so happened that Liu Jian was also a young master from the influential Liu family in Yanjing City. Tragically, two of their team members had already perished, and now Liu Jian was bravely facing the two bear spirit beasts alone, having covered her retreat.

Li Jun and the other cultivators were in a bind. He himself was only at the 2nd stage of the Qi Condensation realm, identical to Xia Ling. The stronger cultivators from the other groups merely reached the 3rd stage of the Qi Condensation realm. None were a match for the Vermillion Clawed Bears. To attempt a rescue seemed akin to marching to their own demise. Yet, abandoning Young Master Liu wasn't an option either. Should the Liu family discover their inaction, their wrath would be unpredictable. At the very least, they might be barred from entering Yanjing City in the future. Caught in this dilemma, Li Jun's gaze subconsciously drifted towards Orion, silently pleading for the mysterious man's aid. Perhaps he could stand against the Vermillion Clawed Bears.

As Xia Ling related her tale, Orion had already redirected the drone towards the presumed location of the battle. Upon hearing the conclusion of her harrowing account, followed by her sobs and desperate pleas, and noticing Li Jun's expectant look, Orion took a moment to weigh the situation. After a brief calculation, it metaphorically sighed, saying, "Let's save him." Internally, Orion mused, it was supposed to be a simple journey to the neighboring city. Why is there so much trouble along the way?

11