Chapter 23: A Disciple with Instructions from the Future?
217 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Throughout the night, Orion diligently researched the concept of an artificial dantian, utilizing the newly acquired books, scrolls, and materials. Despite immersing itself in study and experiments for hours, by morning Orion had yet to find any promising leads in its quest for an artificial dantian. However, on the bright side, Orion successfully integrated the new storage ring into one of its fingers.

Orion readied itself for another expedition to explore Yanjing. Today, it donned a silk robe of orange and white that it had purchased the previous day.

Departing from the Liu family estate, Orion didn't wander aimlessly. It chose the most efficient path based on prior calculations, ensuring it didn't revisit places it had already explored. As Orion journeyed through the city, it continued mapping the surroundings. As it turned a corner, a voice pierced the ambient noise.

"Master... Master Orion... Over here!"

Orion paused, scanning the area. "Is someone calling me?" it wondered aloud.

Spotting a young girl, perhaps around ten years old, smiling and waving excitedly, Orion watched as she ran towards it.

Who is she? And how does she know my name? Orion contemplated.

The girl swiftly closed the distance and jumped to hug Orion, exclaiming, "Master, I've finally found you!"

Taken aback by the sudden display of affection, Orion responded in mild confusion, "Wait... wait, young lady. I believe you've mistaken me for someone else."

"No, I'm certain. You are Master Orion, aren't you?" the girl insisted.

"Well, yes, my name is Orion, but why are you addressing me as 'master'?" Orion inquired.

"Because you are my master," the girl declared with conviction.

Orion was at a loss for words.

With a metaphorical sigh, "Little girl, what is your name?" Orion asked.

"My name is Wang Lingxin, master. How could you forget?" the girl replied with a hint of playful accusation.

"Then how do you know my name, and why am I your master?" Orion asked.

"Well, myself told that to me," Wang Lingxin responded.

"Huh??? What?" Orion replied, utterly baffled. Does she have some problem with her head, or is she going through something like an eighth-grader syndrome? Orion wondered internally.

Orion decided to take Wang Lingxin to a tea house, a quiet and calm setting ideal for discussions. They settled at a table, and Orion told Wang Lingxin to order whatever she liked. Without hesitation, she enthusiastically ordered a variety of dishes, indicating her hunger.

"Alright, now I'd like you to explain everything clearly. How do you know my name, and what did you mean when you said that you told yourself?" Orion asked patiently, wanting to fully grasp the situation.

"About two days ago, while I was asleep, I met someone in my dream. She claimed to be my future self and instructed me to search for you, to become your disciple. She mentioned that your name is Orion, that you have a preference for orange and white clothing, and always wear a metallic helmet," Wang Lingxin recounted.

"And what convinced you that she truly was your future self?" Orion queried.

"Because she was very beautiful," Wang Lingxin replied simply.

Huh? Just based on that? Orion pondered internally.

"Isn't it possible it was just a dream? Why did you believe her so readily?" Orion pressed.

"Well, the dream felt incredibly real. And look, here we are. Isn't your name Orion? Aren't you donning an orange and white robe and that metallic helmet?" Wang Lingxin countered.

Orion hesitated, "Well, this..." it observed Wang Lingxin closely, trying to discern if she was being truthful.

"And Master," Wang Lingxin continued, "didn't you come from a distant place? Due to an unforeseen event, didn't your ship end up here? And don't you have a friend in the sky named Orbiter?"

Orion was taken aback. How does she even know about the Orbiter? Orion wondered internally. Could everything she said be true? Maybe her future self really did visit her in a dream?

"What else did she tell you? And why do you want to be my disciple?" Orion asked.

"She told me you're my master. She said that you are my greatest opportunity in my cultivation path. She was your disciple in the future, so I want to be one too," Wang Lingxin said.

"But if you're going to be my disciple in the future, why did she need come to your dream now?" Orion wondered.

"She gave me some instructions, to achieve something she failed to accomplish in her past," Wang Lingxin replied.

Curious, Orion asked, "What was it?"

"To sleep with yo..," Wang Lingxin answered.

Before Wang Lingxin could finish her sentence, Orion swiftly covered her mouth with its hand. It glanced around nervously, ensuring no one had overheard their conversation. Satisfied that they hadn't drawn any attention, Orion released its hold. Wang Lingxin looked on, bewildered, while Orion remained silent.

Is this some kind of setup? A trap? Are there undercover agents from Earth around? Well, I'm just a robot. I can provide an explanation and I don't have any bad thoughts. Orion pondered internally.

Soon, the food they ordered was served. Wang Lingxin quickly snatched a dumpling with her chopsticks, devouring it with evident joy. Orion, on the other hand, seemed lost in thought, remaining quiet as it tried to make sense of the situation.

Could she be lying? But how would she know about my unintended arrival here, let alone about the Orbiter? Nobody on this planet should be aware of that, Orion ruminated, evaluating various possibilities and explanations.

The future Wang Lingxin intended to devise a preemptive strategy, but, regrettably, due to her inability to sustain the dream any longer, she couldn't warn the present-day Wang Lingxin against revealing the instructions about sleeping with her master.

"Have you told anyone about your dream?" Orion asked.

Wang Lingxin shook her head as she continued eating.

"Remember, never share your dream with anyone. Also, don't mention me or my friend in the sky. Understand?" Orion instructed.

Wang Lingxin nodded, still engrossed in her meal. "So, Master, will you accept me as your disciple?" she asked eagerly.

"I'm... not sure," Orion hesitated, torn about the decision. "I plan to travel around. Would you want to follow me? And what about your family?" Orion inquired.

"I don't have a family anymore. My parents have passed away. I've been living with my uncle's family, but my aunt and her children are very mean to me. She even wanted to sell me off as a servant, so I ran away. I was overjoyed when I met my future self in my dream, and she told me that I could become your disciple." Wang Lingxin explained.

That's quite a sad backstory, Orion thought. But if I take her with me, would it be considered kidnapping?

Wang Lingxin continued to eat happily, sipping her tea from time to time. Orion simply observed her, lost in thought. Suddenly, a commotion erupted from a tavern across the street. The exact cause was unclear, but a few curious customers from the tea house went out to investigate. When the disturbance subsided, they returned, recounting the story with animated gestures.

It appeared that a slightly drunk cultivator in the tavern had accidentally spilled his alcoholic drink onto someone else's pouch. The victim was quite angry since the pouch held spirit stones, when exposed to alcoholic drink, it deteriorated in quality. Fortunately, before the situation could escalate, the one responsible agreed to compensate for the damages.

"Well, that's interesting information," Orion mused internally, wondering why an alcoholic beverage would impact a spirit stone quality.

After Wang Lingxin finished her meal, they left the tea house. Orion still doesn't know what to do with her. Orion thought about heading to the Liu family estate, hoping that perhaps Patriarch Liu might be able to help the girl, perhaps even allowing her to work and stay there.

Two mysterious figures watched as Orion and Wang Lingxin left the tea house. One of them left, while the other followed Orion and Wang Lingxin discreetly. When Orion and Wang Lingxin entered a quiet alley, they were suddenly surrounded. Two men blocked their way from behind and three stood in front, all appearing to be thugs.

"Is there something I can assist you with?" Orion inquired.

"Just hand over the girl, and you can leave," one of the thugs, likely the leader, stated.

"You wouldn't happen to be kidnappers, would you?" Orion asked.

"Just give us the girl and avoid any trouble," the thug retorted.

"I'm not particularly inclined to listen to a kidnapper," Orion responded dryly.

"We're not kidnappers!" the thug exclaimed, growing visibly frustrated. "Her aunt sold her to us. We've paid in full, but when we came to collect her, she had run away. She's been nothing but trouble. Stay out of this."

Wang Lingxin was visibly shaken. She clung tightly to Orion's robe, seeking protection from the looming threats.

"Get her!" the leader barked.

As the two thugs from behind advanced, attempting to seize Wang Lingxin, Orion swiftly retaliated. A quick backhand sent one reeling backward, and a solid punch dispatched the other. Both were sprawled on the ground. One had a bloodied face with a broken nose, while the other had several teeth scattered around him, evidence of the sheer power behind Orion's metallic punch.

"So, you've chosen the hard way?!" shouted the thug leader, drawing his sword. "Attack!" The other two thugs lunged forward, one brandishing a saber and the other wielding a club, closely followed by their leader. They were mere mortals, and against Orion, they stood little chance. Orion didn't even need to use any weapons.

Orion deftly dodged their attacks, responding with a flurry of punches and kicks. The alley echoed with the sounds of yelps, grunts, and cries of pain. In mere moments, three more thugs lay writhing on the ground.

"Let's go," Orion said, holding Wang Lingxin's hand and preparing to leave.

"You'll regret this," the thug leader warned. "We are from the Fragrant Lotus Pavilion, and she's ours. We paid for her. You think you can just take her away?"

"If I recall correctly, the kingdom's law forbids the buying and selling of people. And you just admitted to purchasing her, didn't you?" Orion countered coolly.

"That... What I meant was her aunt asked us to help find her a job... yes, that's right. That's all there is to it," the thug leader backpedaled hastily.

"It seems she doesn't wish to be with you, so you should probably forget about her," Orion responded dismissively.

Gritting his teeth, the thug leader warned, "You will pay for this." He stood up with difficulty, and the other thugs followed suit. They made their way out, limping and still in obvious pain.

Orion didn't give much thought to their threats. After all, how could the mere Fragrant Lotus Pavilion compare to Orion's backing from the Liu family? Unperturbed, Orion continued toward the Liu family estate.

10