Chapter 36: An Engagement
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Morrigan Ivanova's POV-

When I was young,

I'm so fucking tired...

I drowsily opened my eyes and looked at the ceiling absentmindedly, looking at no certain area as I thought silently.

Should I just go back to sleep? Yeah, I'll do that. My bed is too warm for me to leave anyways...

I barely glanced at the time before closing my eyes and turning to the other side, revelling in the warmth of my blanket.

But I have to read the new chapter...

I remembered a recent favourite novel of mine and thought about their chapters to motivate myself.

I forcefully opened my eyes and sat up, trying my hardest not to just flop back down. I hold my hand out and cast a spell.

[Screen]

A blue screen opened up in front of me, and I skillfully scrolled through it before stopping at a large picture of four characters. I grin slightly as I see them all properly. There were two identical characters, along with a 'crown prince' and a 'demon king'.

[Twin Saint's New Life]

I scrolled down to the table of contents and began to read the most recent chapter quickly, barely reading most of the words yet still registering them.

I was immersed in the chapter before I heard a knock on the door.

"Morrigan." Spoke a familiar voice.

"Ah, sister?" I asked, looking at the door as it opened.

"Did you forget that Father said we'll be meeting someone new? Get ready before he gets angry." She said, and I immediately looked at the time again.

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?!" I asked, shooting out of my bed despite the change in temperature and walking to my wardrobe.

"Not my problem." She said and closed the door before I could yell further.

"Damn it-" I muttered under my breath as I pulled out a few random clothes and threw them on.

Why the fuck do I never meet deadlines...?

I gritted my teeth and changed quickly, checking my appearance before I walked out of the room and go downstairs where I saw my family looking at me. I walked silently and quickly.

"Morrigan." Father said, his gaze weighing down on me.

"Sorry, Father. I didn't notice the time." I replied, making an excuse up hastily.

"It's fine, they haven't arrived yet anyways." He said, and I let out a silent breath of relief.

"Morrigan, did you sleep late again?" Mother asked me, and I shook my head hastily.

"No, Mother. I got busy reading a book of mine." I said.

Although, I did sleep really late...

"..." Mother didn't speak and simply looked back at her [Screen].

I walk and stand next to Father.

[Screen]

I continued reading, finishing the chapter quickly and soon I heard a knock on the door. I immediately looked up and stood straight.

The door opened and another family walked in, my eyes were immediately caught on another girl my age. She seemed somewhat similar to me, yet very different.

She looks cute.

I shook my head, getting rid of the thought as I observed her.

Her hair was long and her lips thin. Her eyelashes were long and dense and she had a mature look, despite how young she was. She was slightly taller than me and I looked at her silently, to the point my gaze became uncomfortable and I didn't know where else to look. I found myself thinking about another topic as I stared blankly at her face, automatically drowning out all noise.

I was soon snapped out of it by the girl herself, she was waving her hand infront of mine and I couldn't help but notice how my hands were smaller than hers.

"Are you deaf?" She asked, like speaking to a close friend and I smiled, shaking my head.

"No, I'm fine." I said, "I was just thinking about something."

"And what's so interesting that you can't hear me after I've been repeatedly calling out to you for minutes." She replied in a slightly sarcastic tone.

I cleared my throat and spoke, "I was just thinking about a story I was reading recently."

"A story?" She asked, not knowing about how I usually go on really boring rants.

"Yeah, a story." I said, "What's your name? I'm Morrigan."

"Nyx." She answered simply, "Care to tell me about this story of yours?"

I nodded my head.

"I would- But my sister always makes sure I know how boring my storytelling is. Especially when she finds anything else to do but listen to me speak about it." I said lengthily, a wry smile on my face.

"Is it really that bad?" Nyx asked, tilting her head slightly.

"Yeah, I think it's because of my stuttering and repeating." I said, "I usually end up forgetting bits and repeating the same sentences for minutes but I like to say that's because I always get interrupted."

We quickly became close, and time passed quickly as we spoke endlessly. It turned out that we had quite a bit in common.

---

A few minutes later,

I heard Father's voice calling me and stood up with Nyx. I stepped downstairs and looked at Father.

"Is it time for Nyx to leave?" I ask, slightly saddened at the thought of Nyx leaving since we'd also probably not see each other for a long time.

"Did you like her?" Father asked, ignoring my earlier question as he glanced at Nyx standing behind me.

"I did, she's very nice." I complimented, smiling at Nyx beside me.

"Good, since that's your new fiancee." He said abruptly and I paused.

"Fiancee? I didn't think I'd get one this early." I remarked, turning back to Father with a questioning gaze.

"It's a good chance for political connections, and you both seem to like each other already." He added, "You can go out and bond in preparation for the engagement ceremony."

I felt joy blooming within me and I nodded my head.

"Yes, Father." I say, grinning slightly as I look at Nyx. She also seemed happy at the news and we both immediately began to start planning out things we can do together.

"How about we go to a restaurant first?" I suggested, and Nyx nodded her head.

"Yeah, let's go to a restaurant in a few days?" She asked, and I almost opened my mouth to say something else.

I was going to ask if we could go tomorrow...

I shook my head at the foolish thought and spoke.

"Yeah, in a few days." I agreed against my will, wanting to make Nyx happy as I tried my best to agree with whatever she suggested. Although I did make my own firm suggestions when I wanted to.

"We can talk about our favourite books and things like that." She added and I stared at her eyes. They were a mesmerising black which drew me in automatically, and paired with her black hair, it was like I was being hypnotised. Of course, I held myself back from actually moving since I'd probably scare her off if I ever actually moved closer without her consent.

"Yeah, we can." I say, nodding my head with a small smile on my face.

 


 

Wrote this shit at fucking midnight...

1