Chapter 29: True Colours
51 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-1st person-

2 days later,

I walked into 701 and waited for Crystal to arrive, Devron and Vincent were already standing there and we exchanged greetings and talked whilst waiting for the last one. Then she walked in.

"Took ya long enough, Crystal." I said, waving.

"I actually came on time, it's just you nerds that came early!" She retorted.

"Anyways, we were waiting for you so we could choose our seats." Devron intervened and said.

"What? I thought we'd just sit at the back like usual?" Crystal asked.

"Nope, Devron wants to sit at the front." Vincent answered.

"I don't" Crystal added.

"That's why we're voting." I exclaimed, then I added, "If you want to sit at the back then hands up."

Crystal and Vincent had their hands up.

It was obvious that Devron wanted to sit at the front.

"What about you?" Vincent asked, looking at me.

"I think we should just sit in the middle," I replied and Devron nodded to what I said.

"I agree with Ma- Ray." He added.

"I thought you wanted the front?" Crystal asked.

"Well, I agree with Master, who is also the Leader, and the middle isn't that bad!" Devron answered quickly.

"Leader?" I asked, looking Devron in the... Blindfold...?

"Well, flow of the conversation usually revolves around the leader. Doesn't it?" He looked around and then continued, "And everyone basically looks to Ray for approval, he literally introduced you two. And, he's my Master."

Now that I think of it... It's right! Aura said.

Is it?

[Yes, it is. I've noticed since the start, Master.] Hestia said but didn't talk further.

"Eh, anyways. All for middle?" I asked and everyone else nodded. We then made our ways to the middle and talked whilst we waited for class to start.

Rein walked in and silence befell, except for the few new arrivals. Rein looked at those students, slammed his teaching material onto the podium and spoke, "It seems our new arrivals are oblivious to the rules in this classroom." The pressure emanating from him was heavy and the weaker humans were suffocated. Vincent found it hard to breathe but that was it.

A few seconds and finally, it stopped.
"Well, let's begin with class." He spoke quietly, but in this room, it was louder than anything.

We had a class about Spirit Animals and it seemed that we'd summon them after a bit. So I took the intermission to talk to Rein.

"Instructor, I've already summoned my Spirit Animal." I said as soon as I saw him.

"Well then, show me your spirit animal."

Hestia, become a... Cat. I'm gonna show you to this elf.

[Yes, Master.]

Hestia jumped out of my pocket and quickly became a cat.

It was a fluffy black cat with bright yellow eyes.

"I see..."

"Sir, I don't want anyone except my friends to know this. Can you help me?" Of course, I'd thought of many methods but the best was to ask for help.

"Yes. I'll take you to a separate room and you can wait there for everyone to finish."

I nodded and told my friends. Then I waited in the other room, speaking with Hestia and Eris.

---

-Crystal's pov-

He's already done it?

"Yeah... It makes sense." Mother looked at me and said.

Her face was as blank as always.

I furrowed by eyebrows, Did I take my pills?

"You did. I'm just here since the school allowed me to come." Her voice was as real and coercive as ever in my ears. I nodded my head and then looked to my right.

"What. It's your fault for being useless anyways." Jack looked at me with his usual blank face and his criticism was echoed within my head. I felt sad but I quickly looked back and focused in class even as the voices resounded in my head. Hundreds at one time.

"In order to summon you..." Instructor Rein's voice faded away and it was silent. My thoughts quickly moved to another topic, as if it was forced by another and I felt myself losing focus.

Soon, it was time for the demonstration and we were all given books, I read the contents and began a beat later than everyone else.

"Mana?" I asked.

Crystal? 

"Can you..." My thoughts were drifting away again, "Help, help me!"

Then, Mana directed me to how to do it.

"You can't even do this yourself?" Jack asked, leaning over the crude circle I drew with my mana.

"Leave her alone..." Mother defended me, albeit weakly.

I followed the instructions and once I was finished, I asked Vincent for help. He looked at me like I was crazy and then helped me. I was finished a minute later.

"But that's fine." Mother supported me.

"No it's not. Everyone probably thinks you're stupid now." Jack stood still, unwavering.

I'm... Useless?

"Yeah, you are." Jack said. Than the voices multiplied. Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes.

Devron walked up to me, he put his hand on my shoulder and asked, "You okay?"

"Yeah, fine... I'm fine." I said, shaking my head to get rid of those damn voices.

He looked unconvinced, but still nodded his head and left.

Then the Instructor told us how to summon it. I did as told and soon, a wolf appeared in the circle.

"What's its name?" Mother asked.

I don't think it has one.

"Vincent, why doesn't it have a name?" I asked.

"Because only the strongest deserves a name." He replied.

"Oh." I said, looking down and suddenly the wolf didn't look so large anymore.

"That's so sad..." Mother added.

"Why don't we take your name?" Jack said.

No... I like my name... Huh?

Ray walked in, expressionlessly, with his spirit animal and then looked at us, he smiled as if the previously dry expression was fake and walked towards us.

"Hey, how was the experience?" He said, waving.

"It was fine, Ray." Vincent answered, showing the owl perched on his shoulder.

"Mine was great, look at my deer." Devron said, his smile was a little darker than usual. Ray seemed to notice too.

"My good." I said.

"Uh..." Ray waited.

"I mean, mine good." I continued, realising my mistake.

"I see... Devron?" He gave that silent gaze to Devron, the one that asks for answers.

"I'm fine. We should speak in private though..." Devron said nervously. It's hard to believe that he's a robot made by Ray.

"Can I join too?" Vincent asked.

"Me." I also added.

"Sorry, Crystal, we need to speak privately." Ray said apologetically and they all left, Vincent included.

"Haha~! You were left all alone!" Jack laughed in my face.

"I'm sure they didn't mean anything bad." Mother comforted me.

But what if...

Wolf came to me and curled by my body. He was comforting me.

"Let's just wait for them to come back." Mother added. But I still felt bad along with Jack's villainous laugh.

The voices, laughs and cries shrouded my mind as I waited for their return.

---

-1st person-

"What is wrong with Crystal." I asked, a little too bluntly.

"She seems to have a problem, it's not exactly known but I suspect it's to do with her mind. Master, do you know?" Devron answered, along with a question.

"I may have an idea." I looked at mana. She looked guilty and replied.

She... She has a mental illness. You can ask your instructor later about it. Mana replied as she looked at the ground gloomily.

"I noticed her mumbling something about pills and also looking to her right, there was nothing there by the way. Yet her eyes were fixed like she was looking at another person." Vincent explained.

"Well, I know she has a mental illness." I furrowed my brows and failed to control my expression as it returned to normal. Vincent looked startled but calmed down as I quickly smiled again.

"Should we ask her?" Vincent asked, Devron was only watching. He agreed with my opinions as he should, and he needn't add his personal opinions.

"That's the thing, people with problems like that will think it's normal. They won't say anything because they believe it happens to everyone else." I said.

"We should corner her once we're close enough." Vincent said.

"Nope, problems are best eliminated earlier than later." I answered sternly. And then opened my mouth, "Or... We just leave her. She's useless if her illness gets the better of her."

"What?! No! We can't do that to Crystal!" Vincent yelled at me. Devron and I turned to him.

"Am I lying?" I replied dryly.

"Don't you have humanity? We should support and help her get through this!" He spoke emotionally. I rolled my eyes inwardly and turned to mana.

Help, please. She asked. And I nodded my head to look at Devron.

"Let's ask Sir, then." Devron said.

I nodded my head and we all walked to Rein.

"Sir." I said, he looked at us and waited for us to continue, "I think Crystal has some kind of problem."

"It was mentioned in her profile, she has a mental illness called schizophrenia." He said.

"I see... Is there anything we can do to help?" Vincent asked this time.

***

Author's Note

A LITTLE OVER THE WORD COUNT BUT OKAY.

Sorry, lost myself there. I was a hundred words (+ more but how much...) too much and still not finished ;-;.

AHAHAHA YOU'RE SHOWING YOUR TRUE COLOURS MISTER. I'm only joking Ray I love ya-

2