Chapter 31: What Is A Human?
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3 days later,

-1st person-

I looked at the girl standing across from me.

"What's up, Sayna?" I asked in a neutral tone, looking her in the eyes.

For context, it's an hour before school begins, I left Eris in class to have some time alone. I was sitting on my bench as usual and soon Sayna calls for me. Obviously, she wants something...

("I want to know something.") She replied without skipping a beat.

"That something being...?"

("Is Devron a human?") She asked, narrowing her eyes.

"No. He's my creation." I replied curtly. "Wasn't it obvious since the beginning? Or did I overestimate you?"

("I don't believe you. That's why I asked.") She said, gritting her teeth.

"And why don't you believe the truth?" I repeated.

("I find it hard to believe since the boy I used to have a crush on is a robot. Also, he acts human. The way he cares for others and feels guilty for hurting someone.") She said lengthily as I listened closely. Her cheeks were dyed slightly rosy and she averted her eyes as she talked.

"Oh? A crush?" I smiled slightly. "And is it so hard to believe that he can care for others even as an android?"

("And, he can even use powers. Unlike other mechas, which have to usually borrow energy from their owner.")

"Well, that just means he's special. Doesn't it?"

("No, that means he has a soul. And even ignoring the soul part, his emotions can't be replicated.") I froze, quickly returning back to normal and pretending nothing happened to me. However, the air around us had already changed.

"I already checked, there is no soul within his vessel. And..." I paused. "Emotions?" My smile wasn't quite right, no, was it even a smile?

Sayna stiffened.

("...") She tried bunching up her signing, trying to explain herself. But why? I'm normal, aren't I? There shouldn't be an urgent need to explain herself.

"Well, what does that mean, Sayna?" I tilted my head and narrowed my eyes, forcing her to stare straight in my eyes. "Does that mean, that if Devron had no emotions, you'd consider him just another android?" I dropped the smiling act.

She was shaking her head frantically, as if she said something wrong.

I took a step closer towards her and looked down at her.

"Does that mean, if a human had no emotions, they wouldn't even be human to you?" She stopped completely. Looking into my eyes, the panic was still there. Even now, I could see her trembling under my pressure. "Where has your humanity gone?" A sad tone.

Silence. Not even a movement.

"Sayna~. Answer the question." She jumped. And I emphasised out each word for her. "If another human had no emotions, would you consider them a human?" It got colder with every passing second and I took a step away from her.

Slowly, barely. Her head bobbed up and down guiltily.

"There there! Now, that wasn't so difficult. Was it?" The air lifted and I clapped my hands together as if praising Sayna. She looked horrified, but why should I care? "Oh! Look at the time. We should get to class now, shouldn't we?"

And then we walked to class, she did stay a distance away from me though.

How sad...

We soon got to class.

"Yo, Ray, what's with your eyes?" Crystal looked at me and asked.

"What do you mean, Crystal?" I asked, looking at her as she trembled slightly.

"Sorry, your eyes are scary." She said, conjuring an ice mirror and giving it to me. "Why don't you check yourself?"

I took it and looked closely.

[Persona Non Grata]

It was engraved in white writing in my eyes, spinning slowly as if alive. It truthfully looked as if it'd be useful, but it gave an indescribable pressure.

"Just forget it..." I muttered gloomily, soon smiling again.

"Yes." Devron said obediently, nodding his head as I was reminded of I and Sayna's conversation.

We all sat down and waited a few minutes. The elf soon walked in, staring my eyes for a long time as he did. But he soon looked away and began teaching.

"We will soon be going out for training. And it's obvious that we will be going to another planet." He said simply, there was a silent cheer in the class. "Of course, this doesn't mean you won't get injured. There is a large chance that you'll die on this outing."

The cheers quickly died down as all the humans stared at Rein.

"This does not mean that there'll be no chance to enjoy the time, however, you will mainly be working with each other to defeat monsters." He continued. "You will also be able to meet The Daltins, a relatively humanoid species. This will also be able to strengthen the ties between our 2 planets, so you shouldn't ruin this."

The students nodded, some slowly and some quickly.

"We will leave within a month." A pause, then he continued. "Well, now that that's out of the way, we'll begin with our lesson."

And thus we were taught.

---

A few hours later,

"I'm so glad that our lessons have finally ended!" Crystal exclaimed.

"Where did the decency of the Imperial Princess go?" I asked teasingly.

"Don't!" She shouted, covering her ears and running behind Vincent.

I chuckled slightly, then changed the topic.

"Well, what do you think about going to planet Daltain?" I asked.

("It's interesting.") Sayna said, then resumed to spectating.

"I'm fine with what you're fine with, Master." Devron said.

"It's cool!" Crystal yelled.

"Yeah, I find it to be a new experience." Vincent said quietly, as if he was whispering.

"Hmm, well. I find the name familiar." I said vaguely.

"Name? The planet?" Crystal asked.

"Yep. And not the kind of familiarity of hearing the planet occasionally when you're young but it felt like I've been there before." I clarified.

"Well, that's confusing." Devron added and I nodded my head.

("Well, what if you've actually been there before?") Sayna asked.

"Nope, zero chance." I shot her down.

"Hmm, well, what about you tell us what you think it's gonna be like and if it's like that then you've been there before somehow!" Crystal suggested.

"How complicated." Vincent said frankly.

"Sure." I said, ignoring Vincent. "I think... The Daltins are a friendly and social race which befriend spiritual creatures the instant they're born. They look exactly like humans except for having simply 4 fingers and they use Aura, like orcs."

"Terrifyingly specific." Crystal said looking away slightly.

"I can give more details if you want." I said.

"No, please don't." She said, turning her head completely.

"Well, if you need any more information, then feel free to ask!" I said, laughing.

("Sure...") Sayna said.

Everyone else began to walk away, as I deliberately slowed my pace. And soon they were around 5 meters away from us.

I looked to Vincent, who was already standing there, looking at me.

"What do you need, my friend?" I asked.

"You were acting so nicely, I almost thought you actually cared for us." Vincent replied.

"Haha, well. That is the true nature of most, isn't it? We all act as if we care for each other as we hide our envy, hate and other ugly feelings." I looked back to the others, who were waiting for us.

***

Author's Note

This, by far, is my most favourite chapter!

Can you all see how I'm trying to create a heavy atmosphere? Do you think Ray is pitiful, or just evil?

Oh how I wish the world loved him.

1