Chapter 52 – The Blurring Failure
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside the barrier, Sergeant Moss and the other responding heroes struck the pulsating walls relentlessly with their most potent abilities to no avail. The occult obstruction nullified even their strongest attacks. "We can't breach this wretched magic! We have to keep trying," Sergeant Moss urged urgently. However, the dark void remained impervious.

Inside the enclosed darkness, the Toxic Trio released a maniacal laughter that rattled the school grounds in sadistic delight. With most of the student heroes now restrained ruthlessly by the burly Loki mutants, the villains revelled in their reversed fortunes.

"You maggots played valiantly, but Lord Skull's patience is finite," Poison Dart mocked contemptuously. "Surrender now and stop resisting, then perhaps you'll escape with less scarring!" The Toxic sisters cackled wildly at the hollow offer.

Mei, Tanya and the captive students glared with impotent fury, cursing their powerlessness against these merciless oppressors. Principal Harrison and the faculty members looked on helplessly, seething in despair at the tragic turn. They had been so close to victory before this devilry snatched it away.

"As promised, I will spare innocent lives in exchange for concession," Lord Skull pronounced in a voice empty of compassion. His dark proclamation was merely strategy, not mercy. Turning to Cain's immobilized form, he extended a pale hand expectantly. "Come lad, time grows short. Allow me to unshackle the glorious potential locked within you."

Hearing this monstrous being masquerading as merciful fuelled The Blur's rage past its boiling point. "Skull, you're no man, just a blight and menace! We'll never submit to your cruelty and lies," he shouted in hopeless defiance.

Nearby, Cobalt managed to wrest one arm free and grabbed his crotch lewdly towards the villains. "Suck mi balls, yuh skull face battyman!" His vulgar insolence earned only sadistic chuckles from Lord Skull and his circle. Their victory was utter.

However, unexpectedly, the earth beneath them began rumbling violently. The Toxic trio glanced around in surprise as the seismic vibrations strengthened rapidly. Fissures spiderwebbed through the fractured pavement, spewing showers of dirt and pulverized concrete.

"Surprise, scummers!" Cobalt yelled from the widening pit as his eyes and tattoos began radiating blinding azure light. With both hands extended towards the ruptured earth, he channelled torrents of roiling Sapphire Dust into the unstable subsoil. "Devour them, my lovelies!"

Horrified students leapt away from the ensuing eruption. Hundreds of chittering mutant insects surged out from the churning earth at Cobalt's command. The hideous amalgamations of ants, roaches, centipedes and other crawling life descended upon the shocked villains in a Biblical swarm.

"Impossible!" Toxic Tess shrieked in revulsion, firing desperate neon bursts into the skittering horde. But dozens more took the place of each one blasted apart by her corrosive emissions. The swarms were endless.

While the insectoid assault occupied the Toxic crew, The Blur focused his power to carefully slice through the shadowy bonds restraining his classmates without harming them. "Help the others, I'll keep Skull busy!" he told Cocoa Fox and Jade Noodle once they were freed.

Trusting their peer's judgement, the heroines set about assisting the other students still trapped by the remaining Loki-7 mutants. With reinforcements returned to their side, the villains found themselves embroiled in fresh battle across the shadowscape.

Lord Skull had watched the eruption impassively, making no moves to assist his struggling allies. His focus remained fixed on the electric speedster challenging him directly once more. This strange youth perplexed and intrigued him in equal measure. There was more here than meets the eye.

"I admit, you continue exceeding my expectations, hero. Your gifts are most fascinating." With a wave of his hand, Skull shattered Cobalt's glittering insect armour brutally then ensnared him again in the tightening void grasp. "But playtime ends now. I will unravel the secrets locked within you."

The Blur responded by blasting electrified darts towards Skull's face, forcing him to shield himself. The darts embedded into his smokey appendages with little effect. Though hopelessly overmatched, The Blur was determined to fight with his last breath if needed to buy the others time. He had stalled the tyrant's schemes this far.

Hurling the broken bodies of mutant insects aside contemptuously, Lord Skull gestured and sent The Blur hurtling backwards into rubble with an uncanny gravity blast. "As I said, your tricks grow tiresome. But the depths of your power intrigue me nonetheless."

With another mystical gesture, Skull paralyzed his foe fully. Slowly he approached to loom over the prone speedster ominously. "I wonder, if I dissect this host, will the secrets of the Coco Force reveal themselves?" A conjured obsidian blade hovered inches from The Blur's face, promising unimaginable agony.

Seeing the immediate peril, Tanya tried to intervene, but was brutally swatted aside by the distracted Poison Dart. The other students were also being gradually overwhelmed by the remaining threats. All seemed lost in the encroaching darkness.

As the icy bone-chilling blade's tip touched his neck, The Blur concentrated his focus, dropping fully into the intuitive flow Ras Nine had conditioned through disciplined meditation. There in the inner silent abyss, primal instinct took over.

Ba-Dump!

Suddenly, a pulsating wave of electromagnetic energy burst from The Blur, instantly neutralizing all spectral magic in the area. Lord Skull himself froze like a statue, blade halted precariously. 

"Impossible... a Chrono-Static Vortex?!" he uttered in disbelief.

Seizing the split-second opening, The Blur shouted to his classmates, "The shadow barrier is disrupted, now!" Hoping some heard his call, he pivoted and snatched away Skull's conjured knife before it could descend, then slammed the dark lord brutally with the hilt to gain precious distance between them. He had finally and consciously unlocked the art of Cronus Dreadweaving in this dire moment. However, the temporal void already rapidly collapsed. They needed an exit strategy immediately!

Fortunately, Mei reacted swiftly to the call during the confusion, enveloping herself and nearby allies in an elastic Ramen Pod. She then propelled the rescue orb at maximum velocity towards the nearest fissure torn in the flickering barrier. They barely slipped through the collapsing vortex unscathed. Other students flooded the breaches hastily before the exit points resealed ominously.

Enraged by the sudden mass exodus enabled by The Blur's cunning misdirection, Lord Skull swiped his hand and reforged the shadow dome before the final students escaped. "You simpering vermin, I'll exterminate every last insect from this place!" he hollered while flinging violent spheres of annihilation that blew smoking craters in the landscape as they barely evaded his attacks.

Cobalt managed to avoid the barrage then sought cover behind rubble with The Blur and the others. He gave his partner an amazed thumbs up, sensing they had narrowly avoided doom thanks to the daring temporal disruption against all odds. Skull's fury was unimaginable now that his victory had been snatched away after coming so close. They were trapped prey.

Hovering before the cowering group with his tattered allies, Lord Skull prepared to unleash final judgement upon these defiant curs. None escaped his wrath unpunished. Just as the killing dark flames began channelling into his palm, a bright glint caught Skull's eye below. Pausing his attack, he reached down and snatched up a glowing amulet on a cord that had spilt from Devon’s pocket - the very Coco artefact stolen from him days prior!

"What's this then? Some trinket you appropriated during the warehouse raid?" Lord Skull studied the amulet closely with a look of intense recognition. “Get over here!” He manifested a surprise dark limb that instantly yanked both Cobalt and The Blur towards him. Skull gave Cain over to his poisonous allies as he studied The Blur’s staunch features. With his free hand, he slowly peeled away the mask, exposing the face of Devon Johnson!

"Now I comprehend fully. You are the youth who showed compassion upon my weakened human form that night in the bushes. You provided sustenance out of noble empathy. A rarer quality than you know..." Lord Skull spoke with chilling softness. 

The students nearby who still couldn’t see The Blur’s true identity stared in bafflement, unsure of Skull’s cryptic words. But Devon knew the truth being revealed now. He recognized the voice of this villain – the frail old escaped convict who he bought soda and patties – Andrew Sterling! 

Lord Skull grasped Devon’s jaw almost tenderly. "I see our threads are woven more tightly than even mystic forces comprehended. Now the tapestry comes full circle. Your actions have purchased mercy this day. My hand is stilled... for now. But know that next we cross paths, such grace expires." He leaned in closely with final ominous words. "Until then, hero..." With that, the swirling shadows engulfed Lord Skull and his whole party before vanishing fully with his rebellious captive, releasing the school from its dark imprisonment. 

Outside heroes finally stormed the site, stunned to find only smoke and exhaustion remaining from the epic battle. The day was won, but at grave costs. The villains' had succeeded in snatching Cain. What now would befall the island?

The Blur dropped to his knees, punching the ground in frustration. He had failed completely, and now his ally was lost along with any leads towards ending this conspiracy. The costs weighed crushing, yet he clung to the hope that the concessions won might somehow still plant seeds of redemption that could ripen in time. For now, recovery and damage control took priority.

Tanya raced over to The Blur's hunched form, covering his unmasked face just before more heroes entered the area. "Rest easy now, it's over," she whispered. He had endured enough revelations for today. Together they slipped away discreetly through an opening in the rubble, Devon's identity kept secret a bit longer. There would be time later for mourning and next steps…

The coming weeks saw Seacrest High gradually restoring some semblance of routine. With hefty JHA disaster relief funding, crews set about rebuilding the demolished sections of campus. Classes resumed in temporary mobile facilities while counselling was offered for the traumatized students. An aura of resilience persevered through the lingering unease.

Principal Harrison was questioned about the mysterious speedster and the student known as Cain. He shared all that he knew about the situation and urged students who had more insight to come forward. Later, he thanked those student heroes for giving everything to shield their classmates when no one else could.

For his part, Devon kept a low profile, making excuses to avoid after-school hangouts or hero training at the PTC despite Tanya's protests. His spirit felt drained, haunted by perceived failures. And the cryptic warning from Lord Skull warning of worse fates than death for those interfering with their plans also lingered menacingly.

Others who had witnessed The Blur’s selfless actions that day knew he exemplified the rising new heroic heart of Jamaica. And when the time came to stand against darkness again, The Blur would answer the call, stronger and wiser. 

 

0