45 – Lessons
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For many times, I’d always been indecisive. I stumbled around in this world, relying on the generosity of people I met on this journey. Even in the real world, I’d messed up my life. And in this world, Sorah and Ruri had saved me in Waqwaq, along with Yuanyuan getting me a job in Great Zhou. But now, I believed I could conceive a plan for myself. Even when the Royal Marshal pressured me to submit to them. 

Kahokayo stared at Arbitrator D’Émori, who’d recognized me in the city checkpoint. We’d just arrived at the entrance to Yubiyubi. A line began to build up behind Kahokayo, Yodomi and I. 

The demihuman tilted her head. “...Could it be that you are acquainted with Miss D’Émori, Mister Kaizenji?”

“Uh…” I scratched my head. I guessed I couldn’t really hide it. “Yeah, we know each other just a bit.”

D’Émori stepped in with a confused look. “What is the meaning—”

“Hey, when are you off duty?” I leaned into her and whispered. Her shoulders perked up as she jerked her head away. Okay, that might’ve been too creepy…but this was my chance. 

She whispered back, “Off duty? Why are you asking this suddenly?”

“...I want to meet up with you later today. It’s important.” I clapped my hands together and pleaded quietly. Yodomi and Kahokayo already gave me bewildered stares. The arbitrator clicked her tongue and glanced around, before replying in my ear. 

“Fine. My lunch break is in the afternoon, so meet in Eseroso Café?” 

I gave a thumbs up. “Sounds good to me.”

We immediately separated from each other and I returned to Kahokayo and Yodomi. D’Émori cleared her throat and demanded for our visas per her job. Once she confirmed our armbands she let us through. I sighed in relief, since having her take time out of her day could’ve been risky. 

As we walked under the massive arches, Yodomi didn’t even bat an eye. He didn’t really display interest in anything that hadn’t to do with the Biyus. By the time we came out from under the arch, the bright sunlight hit me. I looked outward to see a spiraling city of brick and stone, even bigger than Mogumogu. A dog-motif presented itself in the strange protrusions of spires akin to animal ears, along with bone-shaped structures and murals that decorated the walls. In the further reaches was a dome arena, resembling much like a medieval colosseum. 

“Welcome to Yubiyubi.” Kahokayo walked ahead of us with a beckoning gesture. “Since we still have five days remaining, I recommend that we stay in my estate for the time being.” 

“Estate?”

“The Biyu Residence,” Yodomi explained to me, crossing his arms. “Miss Biyu lives in this city and knows it like the back of her hand. Do you dare turn down her offer?” 

“...Of course not.”

Kahokayo smiled. “Yodomi, please be nice.”

“It’s okay.” I shrugged my shoulders. He still pissed me off at times. “Do you two mind if I head out at noon?” 

Yodomi looked away. “Tch. Got an arrangement with that arbitrator?”

“Well…in a sense.”

After that awkward bit, we went along with the crowd and descended a stone staircase, coming down to the busy streets. At the moment, I just needed to set my belongings down in the Biyu Residence and go to Eseroso Café, or whatever it was called. I didn’t have time to mess around gawking at the sights of this city. Dantë had us in a bind, and I had to get us out of this situation. 

From a half hour of walking we arrived at the Biyu Residence, as a pristine gate greeted us. Even I could perceive its grandeur of luxury. A large mansion with multiple annexes and courtyards, with colorful water fountains and an intricately carved pathway around the estate. A butler stood at attention and opened the grand entrance. 

“Good day, Mister Gayuo.” 

“My pleasure to see you return, Lady Biyu.” He bowed earnestly, and let us in. ‘Gayuo’...it was that guy Yodomi said yesterday. At first glance, his tall stature seemed intimidating until he spoke nothing but politeness from his mouth. I decided to keep caution. Staff of the Biyus were connected to Dantë. 

Kahokayo guided us to a lone porch, to which we finally rested on the benches in the open. Gayuo had offered to take our baggage, so I willingly took off my rucksack. I didn’t have any fishy stuff in there, at least I thought. Sitting idly, I couldn’t keep my knee from bouncing like a nervous tic. Kahokayo only broke the silence by deciding to serve us tea, and went inside the mansion. And that only left Yodomi and I. 

“...”

“...”

We still couldn’t come to terms with each other. Although I felt he’d changed since he was transported to this world, his demeanor remained indifferent. 

“A—”

“W—”

“My apologies for the delay.” Kahokayo interjected as she opened the glass door, holding a tea set in her hands. Yodomi and I were about to say something. I kept my lips sealed for the time being, waiting until noon. 

Since we had five days until the duel, I used that excuse to get myself out of the Biyu Residence and onto the streets at lunchtime. I’d passed the time studying my Koronese dictionary, and I hoped to ask around for the location of the café. Wandering around alone, I couldn’t help but marvel at the crowds of people and homogeneous culture. Everyone was demihuman. I stuck out like the foreigner I was. Hundreds of eyes drilled holes into me from all angles. Whenever I approached a random passerby, they avoided me like the plague. 

My saving grace was a group of young Koronézuki who pointed in the general direction of Eseroso Café. They giggled and said I reminded them of another ‘handsome’ Wawaqi man who worked in the Biyu Residence—which was most likely my brother…how annoying. 

I finally arrived at the establishment in question. The building exuded a cozy mood, just like the one the two of us went to in Mogumogu. Decked out with an al fresco patio and striped awnings, I spotted the glass display of pastries from the outside windows. The baristas calmly stirred drinks, and the bakers greeted the customers with their expertise. 

“She really likes this type of restaurant, huh.” I scratched my head and waited outside the double doors.
“Good afternoon,” D’Émori ambushed me out of nowhere with a greeting. I looked up to see her in a completely different attire. A more modest white dress with her bare shoulders sparkling in the sunlight. Her gray hair had been tied into a ponytail. 

“Oh. What happened to your work uniform?” 

She closed her eyes and sighed. “I don’t want people to see a mandarin arbitrator out in the open. You remember what happened last time, right?”
The scene of some jerk knocking down her food flashed in my mind. “...I see. Let’s go inside, then. Surely no one would be willing to ruin the mood.” 

I opened the doors to her and followed D’Émori inside. Like back in Mogumogu, some patrons turned their heads but not all of them. Although by observing this for the second time, I concluded a reason why she faced harsh glances. She wasn’t a demihuman, yet served a position of authority. 

We snagged a table and seated ourselves. My plan depended on her assistance so I knew I had to play my cards right. I picked up a menu and buried my face in it, only pretending to read while conducting scenarios in my head. 

“You seem nervous. Did something happen while searching for your missing people?” she initiated first, and my back straightened immediately. Sweat began to drip down my neck. 

“Actually, we did…but one of them was taken hostage.”

D’Émori set down her menu. “What? Who did? Give me their name so I can—”

“I don’t know his name,” I lied and scratched my head. Why did she want to help us again? “Though he’s a demihuman, that’s for sure.” 

“...I’ve never encountered a Koronézuki that engaged in trafficking, what a disgrace to the kingdom,” she sighed, as the server came over and took our orders. Of course, I offered to pay. “So? What did you come to me for?”

I swallowed. This was my chance. “I was wondering if you could train me.”

She blinked twice, bewildered. “Excuse me?”

“The man challenged me to a duel here in Yubiyubi, and I thought you are well versed in sword fighting and Koronese spells…” Just as I predicted, I made a pretty hard request. We already made a debt contract with D’Émori, yet here I sat pleading to her. Upon hearing my words, she stared for a few seconds, before glancing down with a sigh. 

The mandarin shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t really have that much time to give lessons, as I’m already swamped with my job…”

My gaze dropped at her response. One of the answers I expected. I’d placed too big of a task on her, wishing that the people I met could assist me against Dantë. I shouldn’t ask too much of people. I shut my eyes in disappointment. 

“I…I understand. It can’t be helped—”

“Although,” she started up again, thinking with her hand under her chin, “I suppose I can make time for overnight sessions at my residence. How does that sound?” 

My face brightened at her proposal. I nearly stood out of my chair and shook her hand. “That’s perfect, really!”

Everyone in the café turned to the commotion. All idle talk stopped for a brief silence. D’Émori’s eyes widened in shock, glaring at my hand taking hers. I realized this and fell back into my seat. How embarrassing…that must’ve drawn unwanted attention. But at least I secured a possible method to defeat Dantë. When our orders came, we ate relatively quietly. 

“I’m surprised. You managed to learn Koronese and place an order by yourself,” D’Émori commented and took a bite from her sandwich. “Quite the difference from when you first arrived in Mogumogu.”

“If I stay five years here, maybe I’ll become a local.” I tried to lighten the mood with a joke, only for her to freeze up. She hesitantly smiled. 

“Assimilation…is very hard in Koroné.”

0