34 – The Steppe
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dark night of Hakone transitioned into calm sunlight from the cloudy blue sky. No longer we were at the Gate of Peace, but now back in this world, Monde. My steps sank into grass as I looked up. A cool breeze descended upon the flatlands as the grass danced to the wind. Fields of green spanned the immense horizon thousands of li over. Everything smelled of coarse dirt and plants. I turned around to see two massive mountains stretching over the opposite way in a semicircle. 

“The Montagne Settentrionali and the Sanpu Range, that means—”

“This is it!” Tursun ran ahead of the rest of us and took in the massive view of the colossal  mountains overlooking the lowlands. “I know this place!”

The rest of us—Sorah, Ruri, Yuanyuan, and I watched him as he glanced in all directions. I was tempted to reach for my map. “Well, where is this?”

Tursun stopped and placed his hands on his hips. His dog ears flapped up and down as he faced us. “Welcome to the Nuovasperanza Steppe. The borderlands that separate east and west, the occident and the orient.”

I sighed and lifted my head to the sky. We made it past Wakh’an Pass and avoided Li Châtelier. Hadn’t the gate been summoned we would never survived this far. Since Tursun knew our location I stepped forward. “Thank you for defending us back there, Tursun. But I think you’ve done enough. We dragged you along in our mess… and you should head back to Kucha since we’re still near the Pass.” 

“He’s right.” Sorah backed me up. “I heard your story. Kucha should be dealing with the aftermath with the Brevity Officer at this moment.”

The demihuman scratched his ears. “I’m sure they’re handling just fine. Besides, you guys were really the ones that saved me. I would’ve been obliterated back there, and I’ve been treated well in that other world. So I want to return the favor. Where do you wish to go?”

I raised my hands. We’d caused enough already. “That’s too much to ask for…”

“This is simply what I want to do. My friends in the garrison will be fine.” 

“...”

“...Very well then. Koroné is our current destination.” Sorah held out his hand with a bow. Soon I followed along with the girls. “Please take care of us, and lead us the way.”

Tursun led the way as Sorah followed after. Ruri and I walked at the same pace behind them while Yuanyuan stayed in the back. I could saw Tursun point in several directions. He said west of the Steppe was Regione Straniera, and south was Koroné. Back up north was Wakh’an Pass. 

[System Announcement]

Lingual Cognizance UP

2618 >>> 2734

+116

The plains and plateaus extended in all directions. I could see forests and other biomes at the end of the horizon. Nothing grew except for seas of wild grass and shrubs. Occasionally we came across the remnants of a hut, its foundational pillars left eroding in the whispering wind. I breathed in the fresh air coming from the snow-capped mountain slopes. I couldn’t see any civilization where we could resupply. 

“How are you holding up, Kawari?” Ruri tilted her head forward. 

“Better than I was in the Kucina Desert. I could ask the same about you. Aren’t you still recovering from that cold?” I huffed and dragged my legs across the ground with each step. My stamina had improved since Kucha, but I knew my limits. 

She stood back up straight and looked ahead. “I’m fine. Just a bit light-headed, that's all.” 

“That isn’t good at all. Should I call Sorah over to take a break?”

“Y… You don’t have to do that.” 

Ruri had a coughing spell before sniffling. I sighed and started to run to Sorah and Tursun. If he knew she wasn’t holding up too well then he would make everyone rest for sure. I barely made a few steps before someone yanked my collar backward. 

“Ruri—”

“I told you I’m fine. I don’t want to make Sorah worry. He has a lot to worry about already…”

We stared at each other for a couple seconds while I recovered from the sudden whiplash. She let go of my collar as I rubbed the front of my neck. 

“If you say so.”

Last time a certain person didn’t want someone to worry, it didn’t end well. 

Soon the blue sky darkened, and the stars upon us. We’d walked some hours south before finally stopping for rest with some sun out. But Tursun wanted to find a nice place to stay the night, so we spent more time hiking up a higher plain with a few trees. 

After talking with Sorah, he got a fire going with whatever twigs and shrubs in the area. I opted to set up some sort of makeshift tent with Tursun. Ruri and Yuanyuan went off to search for reeds and grass. 

“Do we really need this much for staying the night?” I asked the Kucharen, who began laying out frames with the scarce tree branches. 

Tursun wiped his face of sweat. “One day, you’ll have to do this on your own. I loved making these things as a kid. C’mon, I need you to flatten out the mud I make. Usually we would get some animal hide for this, but this’ll do.”

He then opened his chart and used a skill. Wet soil burst from his hands as he smeared it over the wooden frames, and I slapped it solid while shaping it into the wall. We did the same thing with the other wall until Ruri and Yuanyuan returned with the reeds. The demihuman then proceeded to teach them how to weave it onto the roof and dried the mud. 

“Okay, we have this mud tent but…” Ruri commented, “It’s only going to fit one person.”

“Precisely.” Sorah stood from near the firepit and walked over. “One of us will sleep in there while the others stay outside.”

Yuanyuan tilted her head. “Wait, then who exactly?”

Sorah, Tursun, and I turned our heads towards Ruri. We had discussed this before we even got the fire started. I brought Ruri’s condition to Sorah, and he told Tursun in turn. Us three decided to give Ruri some space to rest in. We nodded confidently as Ruri stepped back. 

“Ugh—”

Sorah cleared his voice and raised his hand. “All in favor of Ruri using this shelter?”

Two of us lifted our hands. Yuanyuan glanced around before reluctantly raising hers. I clapped my hands. “Guess it’s settled.”

“Wait a minute…”

“I think it’s best that you turn in early for the night.” Sorah reinforced our worries once more and put a hand on her shoulder. “You’re still sick from the rain last night.” 

Finally Ruri stomped her foot, and stormed into the makeshift shelter of dried mud. “Tch. Good night, everyone.” 

She really was stubborn about hiding her fatigue. Now only three of us stayed awake around the fire. 

I thanked the grass for allowing me to sit comfortably on the ground. This spot in the plain illuminated in the boundless darkness, as the mountains cast their silhouettes in the moonlight. 

“So, I’ve been wanting to ask,” Yuanyuan yawned to the crackle of the flames. “Sorah, how did you learn Zhouhua?”

“Ah, back then I was planning on entering on the Imperial Exams in Great Zhou. But I’m afraid I won’t be able to anymore…”

Tursun attempted to open a water canteen. “You’re one of those smart people, then! People that pass the examination go on to high positions like scholars or legislators.”

“...’Smart’, huh.” Sorah let out a sigh and looked to the stars. “I’m far from it. The reason why I’m here is because I made the wrong decisions.” 

“Was meeting me a bad decision?” I jived in and sideëyed him. Although he was in the right. 

“Kawari, our encounter had meaning. I’m sure that even if we haven’t met, Officer Guiral would’ve found out sooner or later.”

Yuanyuan’s eyes widened as she stood up. “Hold on, you’re the third person from the wanted poster!?”

“Um, I don’t know what you’re talking about, but most likely.”

While she reeled from shock Sorah and I simply looked at each other and sighed. It seemed we thought the same thing. Our group had grown from three into a party of five. 

After some idle chatter we planned out who would keep watch for the night. I volunteered myself since I didn’t feel that fatigued. And I guessed I needed to pull my own weight. Taking out Zhongji Ruidao I rested my back against a tree. 

Meanwhile Yuanyuan rubbed her bare legs and covered herself with her white cloak. “Eek! It’s so cold out here…” 

“You’re right,” I said and breathed out frosty air as the night continued, “We didn’t bring anything like blankets?”

Sorah crouched down to warm his hands over the fire. “Couldn’t pack much. That’s why I came up with a sleeping arrangement.”

Yuanyuan huddled next to me, Sorah following suit while Tursun laid down at our feet. With three people leaning on the tree and another person at the bottom, our body heat combined would be sufficient enough. The fire was put out, as I grasped Zhongji Ruidao between my legs. 

The cold air stung my skin. I couldn’t see anything but pitch darkness. Even when my eyes adjusted to the night I could only see a few strides away. Tursun snored while the rest went silent. All I heard was the steep wind of the steppe and the solemn crumbling of ashes. 

My glance turned to the mud hut where Ruri slept. I felt sorry since I told Sorah about her condition, but she wouldn’t complain if she woke up refreshed. I blew warm air into my hands and stared into the darkness. An ocean of darkness broken only by the faint outlines of distant mountains and the twinkle of stars above.

I didn’t know what to do to pass the time. Maybe I should’ve brought something to fiddle with or watch for some sign of danger. My shoulders perked up to Yuanyuan’s head falling on my shoulder. I gently nudged her back and pinched myself. 

“Kawari, how are you these days?”

“You’re still awake?” I turned my head to Sorah who whispered that sudden question. “You know how I am.”

“Oh, I thought I hadn’t been able to catch up with you and Ruri… Everything has been so hastily planned, and now you all follow my selfish goal. To…”

“We will find your family, and bring them back to my world. Don’t apologize, or feel bad about it. I have my reasons as a friend to help you. I will assist you like you did to me. Ruri will too. Yuanyuan hopes to travel to Regione Straniera to see her father-figure. Tursun merely wants to pay back the debt given. We all have our motivations,” I rambled on far too long and shook my head awake. 

“...”

My eyes grew heavy. Perhaps I’d been awake for a few hours past midnight. I made sure my gaze darted around. If I fixed on something then drowsiness would take over. For a moment, I thought, I closed my eyes for one second. 

A twig snapped. I forced my eyelids open. Tursun’s dog ears perked up. Footsteps echoed from the plateau all around. I grasped my yedo sword from my legs. A growl aimed at me as I raised my hands. Something bit into my arm. 

[System Warning]

Debuff Skill Activation [Prey’s Curse]

Base Speed DOWN

-10% Speed (2 minute duration)

My arm stung like hell. The creature dug into my arm while I pulled Zhongji Ruidao from its sheath. I stabbed whatever it was in the side. Blood splattered onto my hands. The monster whimpered. It still held onto my arm. My veins popped and I tightened my grip on the sword. 

[System Announcement]

Weapon Skill [Zhongji Ruidao]

EP DOWN

15/15 >>> 10/15 

-5

White energy illuminated the area. Zhongji Ruidao glowed as I sent the creature flying with an AoE attack. The shockwave caused a wind gale throughout revealing more of those monsters in the dark. 

“Strayebeasts.” Tursun punched his hand into the ground. “I don’t got my glaive… ‘Kawari’, was it? Do you mind giving me a hand again?”

0