40 – Asya Paradox
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We’ll think about it. For now, us, Miss Biyu, and Mister Yodomi will find my family in Koroné.”

To Sorah, I thought he would take any help. He egged us to go to Gariyuchi Terrace, after all. His eagerness combined with the restlessness, I never predicted he would decline the man’s help. Upon hearing his response the man simply shrugged his shoulders and walked away. As if he accepted it. 

From the bits and pieces of his words he was an older brother. I deduced that Kahokayo Biyu and him were the last heirs of the House of Biyu. We had a bad first impression of people like them… especially the Qawasumi Clan in Han’ei. 

We arranged a joint schedule with Biyu and Yodomi at the terrace before taking our leave. Sorah stretched his arms, walking with us back onto a main street. “It’s a bit early still. Should we—”

“Uh, Mister Totshigui? I kinda want to know why you declined that guy’s offer,” said Yuanyuan who scratched her cheek, “You wanted any help we could get, right?”

Sorah stopped and fixed his red scarf. “As much as I welcome extra hands, I don’t think it is safe to expand this to other strangers we don’t know much of. Even if he calls himself the brother of Miss Biyu… I remember how Officer Guiral let us off the hook for several months in Waqwaq. Take precaution in who we acquaint with.”

“Oh, I see…”

Yuanyuan answered my questions with hers. I sighed at the not letting mandarin arbitrator D’Émori in on this, since I hadn’t seen her in a while. But my mind still clouded with Yodomi, his condescending voice whispering in my head like an inner demon. Even in our first encounter for a long time, we still ended up fighting like we used to. The mere fact he traveled with that demihuman was beyond me. How could she support a guy like him? 

The four of us traveled down the street and entered a bistro. A few customers created a light atmosphere, while Yuanyuan hopped over to the counter and glanced at the pastries with sparkling eyes. The others looked at the menu overhead neatly tidied on a wooden board. The barista lowered his cap to cover his eyes. I opted to find a place to sit down by the windows. A small table and two chairs so I could be left alone. I didn’t feel that hungry anyway. I stared outside, the morning sun heating the aged stone tiles of the road. Every once in a while a Koronézuki couple passed by. 

When I first came to this world I assumed that this was better than my old one. I thought my mother wouldn’t care, and lived off the hospitality of Sorah and Ruri. Analogous to the apartment situation. I lived with my mother even after I failed those job interviews. I passed in university, and remained like how I was in high school. In those days where I convinced myself to change, I somehow reverted back to how I was. 

I clenched my fist on the table and recalled my brother’s words. I could never be successful in this world or mine. I understood that—even though I couldn’t make it past Level 0, I knew I still would act the same way if I was Level 1 or 100. 

“You alright, Kawari?” Ruri sat down in the chair across from me, as Sorah and Yuanyuan pulled up two more seats. I didn’t realize my downward glance. 

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“...”

Ruri narrowed her eyes at me before they began eating. Yuanyuan tried to initiate some small talk but only Sorah responded. Ruri and I just kept quiet. I focused my gaze through the window. 

After wrapping up the meal, Sorah wanted us to investigate the local markets and stores in the vicinity. But when we exited the bistro Ruri jumped in front of me. 

“Ruri…” I flinched back and scratched my head. “What?”

She held out her hand outwards. “Wanna come with me, Kawari?”

“Huh—”

“Tch.” Ruri grabbed my hand and dragged me in the opposite direction of Sorah and Yuanyuan. “Sorah, Yuanyuan! I think it’s best for us to split up and check each store, so Kawari and I will go this way!” 

“...Alright, take care, you two!” Sorah turned around and waved briefly. 

Ruri pulled me along to the intersection at the other side of the street. Her grip on my hand felt as if it would snap into two. Whenever I tried to break free she squeezed my hand, and I stopped resisting. A few bystanders stared in bewilderment. Ruri let go of my hand once we were out of Sorah’s sight. In an entrance of an alley, she leaned her back against the wall. 

“Something wrong?”

I tried to fix my face. “...No, not at all—”

“Are you kidding me? You’ve been sulking ever since the meetup with that demihuman and your brother.” 

“That’s… It hasn’t even been a day, so I’m still processing what happened.”

She sighed and closed her eyes. “Even Sorah notices how you feel right now, but he prioritizes his family first. And I know that look on your face. I also thought back in Han’ei, back when you told me I had to work to survive on the streets, that these feelings were temporary.” Ruri lifted her arm and stared at her hand. “I guess not. You held down the fort for two months while I wasted away. And I won’t let that happen again.” 

“Well, you’re right. I shouldn’t be focusing on myself. I need to push these trivial things aside and—”

“...That’s not what I meant. ‘Feelings’ shouldn’t be dismissed as trivial. They’re a part of what makes you. I don’t care whether you or your brother are correct. Honestly, it doesn’t matter.” She walked past me until we were shoulder-to-shoulder. ”What matters to me is that I want the Kawari—everyone I know to be alright.”

Stricken by her words my feet went stiff. What had I been doing? I’d been acting just like that time in Port Kohwan. “...Huh?”

Something bumped into my leg. At first I mistakened for a cart or ball that rolled off course, but when I looked down a tiny boy stared up at me from the floor. He wore a round hat hiding his hair with a ragged shirt and pants. I glanced around before extending my hand to him.

“You okay? Wait…”

The boy did not articulate any words. Yet my eyes widened at such a familiarity. In a split second I noticed the silver hair beneath his cap. My mouth opened. This was one of Sorah’s brothers. 

Ruri turned around. “Oi, you listening?... Huh?” 

“Ruri! It’s him!”

We had the same reaction and let out a shriek. But before we even came to that conclusion the child darted off like a hummingbird. I only blinked twice to see him disappear into the crowd ahead. We dashed off immediately. Weaving between the pedestrians in the next intersection we forced ourselves past many people. 

“The brother didn’t talk. That must mean he’s…” I excused myself around and kept my eye on the boy not too far off. 

“Asya!” Ruri finished my sentence. “C’mon, hurry!” 

We pushed ourselves across the city for a couple more intersections. I couldn’t let Asya out of my sight. We spent way too much time searching for any family members. No time could be spared. Asya made a sharp turn into an alley. We followed suit moments after. 

“Asya!”

The buildings covered the broad sunlight. This started to get harder. The routes within Mogumogu were like a maze, and we couldn’t waste even a blink. One small twitch and we could lose his tracks. Everytime Ruri and I gained ground on him he bolted left or right and reset our distance. If only Yuanyuan was here to boost our speed…

We turned a corner. In an instant I collided with something and fell to the ground. Ruri stepped back and noticed who we ran into. 

“Sorah and Yuanyuan?...”

“Oh, it’s you two…” Sorah huffed and rested his arm on the wall, “Guess we were both chasing after Asya?”

She folded her arms. “Yeah. But we lost him. Tch, we were so close… how did you spot him too?”

Yuanyuan answered, “He was strolling on the street Sorah and I were on. By the time Sorah noticed he ran into the nearby alley.”

I stood. Wait… this didn’t add up. Ruri and I encountered Asya in the street opposite of those two. Then we pursued him into the nearby alley, only for them to link up with us. How did they find Asya on their side? After I explained this dilemma to everyone they shook their heads. 

“This doesn’t make sense.” I scratched my head. “How on earth—”

“Oh, if it isn’t Mister Totshigui, Miss Qawasumi, Miss Kang, and… Mister Kawari, if I remember correctly?” 

We three looked towards the entrance of the alley to see Kahokayo wave at us. I glanced away at Yodomi trailing behind her as she walked towards us from the street. Strange coincidence. But we could relay the encounter with Asya to them. Maybe they could piece together the paradox. 

“Miss Biyu, we just found one of my little brothers around this block…” Sorah came up to her with anxious hands. “Have you seen him anywhere?”

She covered her mouth. “My, right now? Since Yodomi and I were returning to our hôtel, we don’t know the appearance of your brother, nor did we witness a boy running amok. Yodomi?”

He turned his head. “I affirm. “

If they really didn’t see him, then what led to our group seeing him in different places? Granted, we could be just delusional. But I knew what we saw. I was sure Sorah had the same idea. 

“This doesn't add up. Kawari and Ruri found Asya on the opposite street, and we chased him into the alley. How did you not spot him on your side?” Sorah questioned Yodomi’s case. We continued this argument in the shadows of the alleyway. 

"It seems there's a misunderstanding. We didn't see any child running around.” He shrugged his shoulders. “Perhaps there's more than one child with silver hair in this city."

“Ah, perchance this is a possible explanation?” Kahokayo raised her hand, and everyone went silent. “I will summarize the information so far. You all were split into two groups and headed in two separated directions. Then Mister Asya was discovered by one of these groups, and escaped into the corridors between these buildings. Am I correct?”

“Yes… but—”

“These alleys are cramped and complex. It would be difficult to track him down without losing sight at least a few times. I believe that if the child had a skill to create doubles…”

Sorah stomped and crossed his arms. “Asya cannot speak. He’s mute, therefore his Lingual Cognizance growth is stunted. Sure, my family has taken him to the Guild to get his level uncapped, but him using a skill… he’s never unlocked any.” 

“Yeah, I’m with Sorah on this one. Such abilities of creating clones or doubles are rare and often restricted to the Koronese Branch Class in the higher tiers. Has anyone in your family unlocked such skills for him?" Yuanyuan gave her insight with a gesture. 

“No, not that I know of…”

“Who cares if Asya has some special ability or whatnot?” Ruri grabbed the attention of everyone as she shrugged her shoulders. Then her eyes focused. “Whatever the explanation, we need to find Asya. I just care about finding him and Sorah’s dad safe and sound. That’s all there is to it.”

0