Episode 2: Decision (3: The Phone Call)
37 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[That will be 4.60 in total ma’am.]

Sara smiled gently at the elderly customer, placing her bag of goods carefully in the other’s hand.

[What a dear, here you are darling.]

The elderly customer cooed, placing a flurry of coins in Sara’s hand in return.

Sara smiled wryly at the bunch of coins, deciding to just place the coins in the register, knowing that the woman always gave the exact amount anyway. The benefits of a regular customer.

Sending the elderly customer off with a polite wave, Sara let out a relieved breath as there were no other customers to attend at this moment.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Suddenly, Sara felt her phone buzz in her trouser pocket and the generic, unchanged ring of her phone soon followed. Checking it, Sara was initially confused when she saw that it was an unknown number, but then her eyes widened as a thought came to her.

‘Could it be the results of her audition.’ It seemed way too soon; didn’t they need to process several other people’s auditions after all?

 Not wanting to leave the person at the other end of the line waiting, Sara pressed the answer button before she was knew it; it then took Sara several seconds after that to realise she hadn't even put the phone up to her ear...

Scrambling with the phone, Sara eventually managed to do the basic action of putting the phone to her ear, which had gone red in her embarrassment. It was a good thing no one was here at this moment to see her...

As soon as the phone was against her ear, Sara recognized the familiar voice of Director Wallace.

[Hello, is anyone there?]

The voice asked before mumbling something that was barely audible as Director Wallace saying:

[I didn’t call the wrong number, right?]

[A-Ah, I’m here miss-I mean Director Wallace.]

Sara finally managed to greet the director, her voice coming out in stutters in her distress.

[Hah, there you are.]

Director Wallace sighed, relieved that she hadn’t called the wrong number.

[Sorry, I uh... Didn't mean to keep you waiting.]

Sara apologised, almost bowing along with the action before she realised that the other woman couldn’t actually see her.

[That’s fine, this won’t take much time anyway.]

Director Wallace shrugged the matter off, but the content of her statement made Sara’s heart spike.

Her words made it sound like she had probably failed the audition, and for some reason… Sara found that thought gut-wrenching despite her muddled thoughts on the whole prospect of becoming an idol in the first place.

She also found herself feeling relieved a few words later, however, when Director Wallace explained the conclusion that she and the company had come to.

[So, essentially... I’ve passed.]

Sara concluded, somewhat speechless. It was way too hard to believe...

[Yes, but as I’ve said, if you were to go through with this, we would require you to go through with a one-month trial to asses you fully and can only give you the final go-ahead upon completion of that trial.]

Director Wallace concluded her explanation before continuing:

[This weekend, I would like to meet you at a café or some other cosy space and discuss things in better clarity. You can give me your answer then. Okay?]

[O-Okay.]

With that, the two forged a time and place for their meeting before saying goodbye, Director Wallace ending off the call with these words:

[Sara, while I obviously hope you accept our offer, I also want you to think over everything properly. This isn't a decision you can be flippant about.]

After ending the call, Sara stared at the empty screen of her phone for a long time.

‘This Sunday… That’s only two days away.’

Sara swiped her fringe back as she sighed audibly, a cold sensation running down her back.

[What’s wrong, honey?]

Sara’s mum asked as she entered the store from the back, having heard her daughter’s troubled sigh.

[Ah... Eh, That was Director Wallace.]

Sara bit her bottom lip as she replied.

[It was? What did she say, if they’ve refused my girl, I’ll s-]

Her mum said, her eyes first opening wide before narrowing in slits.

[C-calm down mum.]

Sara couldn't help the smile tugging at her lips as placated her mother. She also surprisingly found her mood easing at her mother's antics and protective tone; her mum's words spreading warmth throughout her.

[I’ve passed and I’ve not passed.]

[Huh? What in bloody hell does that mean? Speak properly girl.]

Her mum gave her a look that told Sara that if she didn't start making some sense, she'd regret it.

[They say that I have to do some sort of trial first that will last across a one-month period… So I guess I’ll only know if I’ve truly been recruited if I complete this trial first…]

Sara finally managed to explain to the best of her understanding and abilities.

[Sounds like you’re going through with it then?]

Sara’s mum smiled, picking up on her daughter's ambiguous tone as she was explaining.

[I… I don’t know…]

Sara sighed, her emotions rising once more as tears even seemed to build in her eyes. 

[I just need a little more time to think on this…]

[Is this about this idol business I heard about.]

The sudden voice of a man cut in at this point, quickly followed by the appearance of the man in question as he strolled in from the back end of the bakery.

[Ah!]

Caught off guard in a moment of emotional distress, Sara's heart skipped a beat at the sudden interruption. Her startled state only eased when she finally recognised who the man in question was:

[D-Dad, y-you scared me.]

[Honey, what have I said about just showing up out of nowhere!]

Sara’s mum gave her husband a sharp glare and a light slap on his upper arm. It was amazing how light-footed her husband could be, especially considering his tall stature.

[Hahaha, sorry. Didn't mean to startle you, darling.]

Sara’s dad laughed easily, scratching the back of his head for an awkward second as he bowed apologetically to his daughter.

Sara’s dad, Jonathan Weiss was a rather tall man with short, almost balding black hair and dark blue eyes. He had the appearance of a working father, homely and kind, which Sara had to say was pretty true to his actual personality as well.

[But none of this stuff matters, it looks like there's been an update on Sara surprise audition?]

Sara's dad asked, a little amusement present in those last few words.

Nodding in affirmation, Sara's mum took the reigns by explaining everything to her husband. By the end, Sara's dad nodded himself in understanding before he turned to his daughter with tender eyes:

[I’ve never been good at this stuff, being motivational and the such... But know this Sara, no matter what choice you make, you’ll always have your parents love and support to draw back on. No matter what.]

[Hmm.]

Sara’s mum nodded firmly in agreement as she rested her hand around her husband’s wide waist, who quickly reciprocated with a hug of his own. Finally, the two held out their free arms towards their daughter in invitation.

[T-thank you.]

After a moment of hesitation, Sara stumbled into the comfort of her parents while holding back tears.

Their family hug was only interrupted by the ringing of the store bell, signalling the entrance of a customer. With a pat on the back, Sara’s dad sent Sara—whose eyes had grown noticeably red at this point—to help her mother in the kitchen while he faced the customer with his always present homely and welcoming smile.

2