Chapter 7
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7

Silver walked beside General Ignis, exercising the courage to voice his concerns about the looming expedition to the hollows' realm.

 

"Sir, I must confess the notion of venturing into Mondo de Ombroj fills me with dread," he finally admitted. "Jade and I are still so inexperienced compared to a legend like you."

 

Ignis nodded sagely. "It's wise to acknowledge your fears. But our months of intense training have prepared you well beyond most pairs your age."

 

He placed a broad hand on Silver's shoulder. "And you will not be alone in the dark realm. We are sending one of the top Special Forces pairs, plus a Praetorian Guard unit from Sliez. Powerful soul tech armaments will support the soldiers."

 

Silver felt mildly reassured, but hesitation still gnawed at him.

 

Noticing his lingering doubt, Ignis continued gently, "When Glacies and I were just starting out, we faced trials that shook us to our core. But with determination, we mastered our gifts. You and Jade have that same spark within. Stay the course, keep faith in your skills and bond, and you will ascend to heights beyond imagination."

 

The fiery general smiled. "Trust an old man's wisdom - your moment of greatness is coming. Just meet it with courage when it does."

Silver shifted uncomfortably on the transport headed towards the portal to Mondo de Ombroj. Beside him, Jade stared pensively ahead, no doubt consumed by the same worries swirling through Silver's mind.

 

Across from them sat Storm and Wind, the elite Special Forces pair who would be joining the expedition. Dressed in dark uniforms and sinister masks, they exuded a cold, dangerous air despite their youth. Silver wondered what drove them to serve the secretive SIF rather than join the regular military ranks.

 

Nearby, Prince Santiago sat encircled by members of the Praetorian Guard, an elite Sliez unit. The artifacts accompanying them wore heavy collars and kept their gazes downcast. But one slight boy caught Silver's attention - he trembled violently, tears leaking from his lowered eyes.

 

Santiago noticed Silver's interest. "Ah yes, the crybaby," the prince said dismissively, giving the boy a careless pat on the head. "He comes from one of our most revered artifact lineages, said to be descended from the one who struck the killing blow against the Original Hollow King. Quite the privileged relic."

 

Silver clenched his fists, outrage rising in him at the cruel prince's words. But Jade placed a subtle hand on his arm, cautioning restraint. With great effort, Silver contained his anger. Now was not the time or place.

 

The transport passed through an eerie, shimmering veil - the portal to Mondo de Ombroj. Beyond, only inky darkness was visible. Silver inhaled sharply. There was no turning back now.

 

As they plunged into the endless void, Silver steadied his nerves and focused on Ignis' words. This was their moment of destiny. He would face it with all the courage and determination he could muster when it came. And with Jade stalwart at his side, he knew they would endure this trial together.

 

The darkness seemed to close in oppressively, but Silver refused to let fear overtake him. Gripping Jade's hand, he steeled himself for whatever lay ahead in this cursed dominion of the hollows.

 

While Prince Santiago was occupied speaking with Jade, Silver took the opportunity to approach the crying artifact boy.

 

"Hello there," Silver said gently. "My name is Silver. What's yours?"

 

The boy hesitated, then whispered, "Lux Calibur."

 

Silver's eyes widened in surprise. The Caliburs were a legendary artifact lineage.  They were once Kings to the artifacts; what was someone with such a fabled heritage doing being treated as a slave by the likes of Santiago?

 

Before Silver could ask more, the transport suddenly lurched violently. Silver was thrown to the floor as an unearthly screech in the air. Through the windows, he could see shadowy hollow forms converging on them.

 

Lux's collar glowed, sending him crumpling to the ground. Santiago approached casually, unfazed by the attack. "Ah, it seems the hollows have come to greet us. Let's give them a proper welcome."

 

He drew a ceremonial blade and made a beckoning gesture. Lux writhed in agony as dark power crackled down his collar. Before Silver's shocked eyes, the slight boy began changing - growing larger, limbs distorting, metallic armor plating materializing over his skin.

 

Within moments, Lux had transformed into a hulking knight-like figure wielding a massive sword. Santiago pointed wordlessly at the attacking hollows. Lux lumbered to obey, swinging his giant blade in powerful arcs that cleaved effortlessly through the shadowy creatures.

 

Silver could only watch in dismay as Lux swiftly dispatched the hollows. The Relief power contained in this unassuming slave boy was unbelievable. And Santiago could command it with merely a thought.

 

As Lux reverted to human form, Silver understood the true purpose of their "honor guard" artifacts. They were not here for protection - they were weapons under Santiago's total dominion. And Lux, with his ancient lineage, was the most dangerous slave of all.

The expedition trudged deeper into the bleak landscapes of Mondo de Ombroj, searching for Malplena Palaco - the reputed citadel of the Hollow King. But the dark realm seemed unnaturally empty, with no signs of life anywhere.

 

Just as Silver was beginning to wonder if this place was utterly abandoned, a chilling voice spoke from the shadows:

 

"Why do you trespass here, mortals?"

 

Silver whirled to see a towering hollow regarding them with blazing red eyes. But unlike the feral beasts they had fought before, this one appeared almost sentient.

 

Before anyone could react, it continued in its eerie, rasping voice: "You will not reach Malplena Palaco. Turn back now, or be forever lost in these endless nightlands."

 

Santiago drew his ceremonial blade, the artifacts' collars beginning to glow in response. But Jade quickly stepped forward, hands raised peacefully.

 

"We mean no harm here. We only seek to understand the one you call King in order to prevent further attacks on our realm."

 

The hollow was silent for a long moment. Finally, it replied, "The King cares not for your petty disputes. But neither will he tolerate your incursion here."

 

It stalked closer, darkness oozing from its clawed hands. "Now leave this place before my mercy is exhausted."

 

Santiago pointed his blade, and Lux transformed with a pained roar. But before he could attack, Wind launched a barrage of electricity that staggered the hollow.

 

"Quickly, while it's weakened!" Santiago yelled. Their combined attacks finally brought the hollow down in a screeching heap.

 

As it dissolved into smoke, Santiago turned on Jade furiously. "How dare you attempt to treat that beast! Have you forgotten our sacred mission is to destroy them?"

 

Jade held the prince's enraged gaze. "There are still things we do not understand. I only wish to avoid unnecessary slaughter."

 

Santiago looked ready to strike Jade down but seemed to think better of it. As he stormed off, Silver realized his friend's ideals may have just put a target on his own back.

The shrieking hoard of fae descended on the expedition forces so swiftly that they had no time to mount a defense. Silver threw up a hasty shield of metallic energy, bracing for the vicious fey onslaught.

 

The fae were merciless, their razor claws and fiery magic shredding through the line of soldiers. Silver heard one hiss to its victim: "Why do you resist your destiny? Embrace the Hollow King, and be granted true power!"

 

Silver stared at the creature in dismay. The fey were thought to be mere legends - yet here they were, freely prowling the Hollow King's domain and speaking of serving him. How could other thinking beings choose to follow a force of utter darkness?

 

Just then, a thunderous flare incinerated a swath of fae, driving the rest back momentarily.  Storm lowered her smoking palms, face livid.

 

"Retreat into the forest!" she bellowed. "It will shield us from their magic."

 

Silver helped herd the battered survivors toward the shadowy tree line. Just before reaching the woods, he risked a glance back at the fey. To his shock, they held the perimeter, refusing to set foot under the gnarled branches.

 

As Silver stumbled into the relative safety of the woods, he shook his head in dismay. This was no longer a mere scouting mission - they had stumbled into an active war zone with the fey as willing servants of the Hollow King. How could they stand against such an insidious foe?

 

Jade's hand on his shoulder jolted Silver from his spiraling thoughts. "We'll make it," his friend said firmly. "As long as we stand together, there's always hope."

 

Silver managed a shaky smile, drawing comfort from Jade's resolve. Together, step by step, they would find a way through this nightmare realm. Their bonds were unbreakable, no matter how fiercely the darkness raged.

 

For now, the shadowed forest offered refuge. But Silver knew their trials were far from over. Gripping his spear, he steeled himself for the next battle.


Silver gripped his spear tightly as he crept through the dark forest, senses on high alert. The shrieks of the hollows hounding them echoed unnervingly through the trees. Beside him, Jade moved silently, eyes constantly scanning for threats.

 

The makeshift camp they had constructed was primitive but would have to be shelter for now. Santiago's guards kept watch around the perimeter while the injured prince tossed restlessly, still unconscious.

 

Silver shuddered, remembering the massive hollow guardian Arbaro that had decimated their forces. Only Wind and Storm's quick actions had driven it back but at a steep cost. Nearly half their soldiers were dead, and the artifacts in Santiago's guard collared and controlled against their will.

 

A rasping growl sounded nearby, and Silver whirled, spear at the ready. A pair of red eyes peered from between twisted branches, then vanished.

 

"They're toying with us," Jade muttered. "Trying to wear us down."

 

Silver nodded grimly. The hollows held all the advantages here in their shadowed realm. It was only a matter of time before they finished off the exhausted expedition members.

 

A chilling howl split the air, followed by panicked shouts from the camp guards. Silver and Jade rushed back to find utter chaos.

 

The hollow pack had finally attacked in force. Santiago's remaining guards were valiantly battling with collar-enhanced powers, but the hollows tore them apart relentlessly.

 

Silver dove into the fray, wielding his spear in deadly arcs, but each hollow he struck down was instantly replaced by three more. It was no use - they were hopelessly outnumbered.

 

Beside him, Jade struggled to keep the attackers at bay with bursts of energy. But Silver could see his friend tiring. They couldn't hold out much longer.

 

Wind's voice cut through the din. "Change forms now! It's our only chance!" Storm transformed into Wind's lightning spear with a cry of pain. Jade met Silver's eyes and began to sing their ritual song. Though every fiber of Silver's being resisted surrendering his free will again, he reluctantly shifted into Jade's silver sword. They would face this darkness as one.

 

Wielding their weaponized partners, Wind and Jade fought with renewed fury, their blows clearing a space in the choking horde. For a moment, Silver dared to hope they had turned the tide.

 

Then the hollows parted before a massive figure - Arbaro had returned to finish them off. Wind and Jade struck it relentlessly with lightning and silver, but the attacks barely dented the guardian's dark armor.

 

Arbaro sent both pairs flying with one mighty swing, their bodies slamming against gnarled trunks. As Silver's consciousness flickered, he heard the guardian's gravelly voice.

 

"Yield now, mortals. Your doom is inevitable."

 

 

Silver felt Jade's spirit linked with his own somewhere in the darkness. And through their bond, a single message pulsed, resonating from his partner's weary but unbowed soul:

 

Hope remains while we still stand together. Have faith.

 

Silver clung to that lifeline of hope. As long as he and Jade still drew breath, he would not stop fighting against the shadows that sought to consume them.

 

Gripping Jade's resolve close to his heart, Silver summoned the last of his strength. Though his body hung limp in Jade's hands, Silver's spirit lit brazenly.   

 

 

 

0