Chapter 8
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8

Jade watched in awe as Wind consumed Storm's lightning spear form into herself. Crying out in pain, Wind's body crackled with energy as she absorbed her partner completely. Where two individuals once stood, now only one remained.

 

Wind's eyes radiated with power as she examined her transformed hands. Jade could feel the immense energy radiating from the lone figure. Fusing together had created someone far stronger and faster than either alone.

 

Seeing Wind's incredible new abilities, a thought entered Jade's mind. If he were to do the same, subsume Silver's essence completely into himself...they could gain power enough to defeat even Arbaro.

 

The notion felt dangerously seductive. As Wind demolished a pack of hollows effortlessly, the temptation grew. With Silver's metal inside him, Jade could become an unstoppable force against the darkness.

 

But deep down, an instinctive resistance pulled at Jade. This fusion came at a terrible cost - losing Storm's free will and identity. Could he willingly sacrifice Silver like that, no matter the gain? Their very souls cried out against such a thought.

 

Yet perhaps it was the only way...as Santiago weakly stirred, The prince's hand lit the cursed collar on Lux's neck. The frail boy transformed painfully into the armored behemoth, awaiting his master's command.

 

Jade tightened his grip on Silver's hilt. Their combined strength with Lux could end this nightmare. But the sword form in his hands remained utterly still - Silver would not consent to the unthinkable fusion.

 

Meeting Lux's anguished eyes, Jade realized then what it truly meant to be an artificer. His purpose was not to dominate and control but to gently guide the gifts in his keeping. Silver's essence was not his to consume.

 

Laying the sword down, Jade began to sing not of mastery but of harmony. Silver shifted back to human form and clasped Jade's hands with a grateful smile. The artificer and artifact turned to face Arbaro one final time.

 

The massive guardian roared, darkness boiling from its jagged maw. Lux landed the first blow, his giant blade biting deep into shadowy flesh. Arbaro reeled from the strike, ichor splattering.

 

In swift tandem, Silver hurled spears of metal into the hollow's wounds while Jade amplified the barrage with bursts of energy. Lux pressed the assault, sword cleaving relentlessly.

 

With a final agonized shriek, Arbaro collapsed into smoke. Lux fell to his knees, reverting to human form as Santiago slipped back into unconsciousness.

 

Jade met Silver's triumphant grin with his own. Together, they had walked through the deepest darkness and emerged intact. No fusion could ever match the power of their true resonant bond.

Jade and Silvers fall unconscious in each other’s arms.

Jade slowly regained consciousness, his body aching. As his vision cleared, he realized he was lying in a transport speeding through a shimmering portal. They had made it out of Mondo de Ombroj alive.

 

Beside him, Silver was still unconscious but breathing steadily. Jade sighed in relief and glanced around the transport cabin. Many expedition members were grievously injured, attended by medics. At the front of the cabin, Jade spotted Wind and Storm.

 

Storm's expression was thunderous as she glared at her partner. Wind's face was impassive behind her mask. Jade called out weakly, "Wind, what happened back?"

 

Wind turned to him, her voice cool. "I attempted synchronized fusion to gain the power needed to escape. Only our masters, Ignis and Glacies, can achieve a true union of will, mind, and body. Storm and I lacked that perfection of bond."

 

Jade noticed Storm turn away bitterly at Wind's words. He asked gently, "But you succeeded in getting everyone out safely in the end?"

 

Wind nodded. "Barely. The process was...traumatic. But we accomplished the mission." Her tone made clear she would speak no more of what transpired.

 

Jade leaned back, mind churning with questions about fusion. But his exhausted body refused to stay awake any longer. As darkness took him, he clutched Silver's hand, grateful beyond measure they had survived with their bond intact. No power was worth such a sacrifice.

Jade kept a wary eye on Prince Santiago as their transport sped back to Zaria. Ever since regaining consciousness after the harrowing escape from Mondo de Ombroj, the prince had been in a foul mood, scowling at anyone who dared approach him.

 

Santiago always kept the trembling artifact Lux by his side, the cursed collar around the boy's neck a constant reminder of the prince's cruel dominion over him. Jade felt deeply sorry for Lux, who seemed utterly broken in spirit after the horrors they had endured.

 

As Jade leaned his aching body against Silver, seeking comfort in his partner's presence, Santiago suddenly rose and strode over to them. His expression was thunderous.

 

"You two are to blame for this disaster," Santiago spat. "Your weakness and indecision in dealing with the hollows nearly doomed us all!"

 

Jade met the prince's enraged glare steadily. "We only wished to avoid unnecessary violence. Those creatures may be our enemies, but they are still thinking creatures capable of reason."

 

Santiago scoffed. "Hollows are mindless monsters meant only to be slaughtered. When we return, I will see to it your dangerous pacifist notions are quashed."

 

With that, the prince turned on his heel, beckoning for the stumbling Lux to follow. Jade shook his head sadly at the sight. Santiago seemed even more closed-minded after his ordeal.

 

"Don’t trouble yourself over the prince's words," Silver said softly. " There are still those who desire peace."


Jade stepped off the transport and took a deep breath, glad to be back on the solid ground of the Zaria settlement. The harrowing journey into the dark realm of Mondo de Ombroj already felt like a distant nightmare, though they had only just returned.

 

Glancing around, Jade was surprised to see the settlement change in their absence. The factions' camps sprawled further out now, with more permanent structures replacing the canvas tents. Patrols of soldiers from various territories walked the perimeter, ever vigilant for hollow attacks.

 

Jade turned as Silver approached beside him, also taking in the sights. "Looks like they've been busy building up defenses while we were gone," Silver remarked.

 

Jade nodded. "Let's go find Ming and get an update on what's been happening here."

 

They made their way through bustling streets teeming with activity, very different from the sparse encampment they had left. As they walked, Jade noticed more artifacts out and about running errands or assisting construction efforts. However, Sliez artifacts were always accompanied by a soldier bearing the royal crest.

 

Jade frowned, reminded again of the cruel collars Santiago used to control his slaves.

Jade and Silver finally located Ming speaking with Dean Syril near the partially constructed halls of the new War College. As they approached, Jade overheard Syril saying sternly, "...cannot allow Sliez to continue unchecked in their methods. We must establish a precedent."

Ming nodded. "I agree completely. The collars and forced transformations I've witnessed are deeply troubling. Perhaps having a strong War College presence would curb such practices."

 

Syril's eyes hardened. "I warned Consul Ardex that allowing Sliez to equal Council seats was dangerous. Now, we see the result - oppressive Sliez tactics creeping steadily into Zaria culture under the guise of defense."

 

Ming nodded sadly. "With tensions high after the expedition's losses, questioning Sliez's methods is viewed as treasonous by many. I fear for the artifacts' safety."

 

Jade exchanged an alarmed look with Silver. This was worse than they realized.

Ming turns to see Jade and Silver, and a happy smile appears on her face. She ran to them and clasped their hands. “I was worried.” She said with a smile.

Dean Syril turns to Jade with examining eyes—Jade shivers. Ming spoke before he could say anything. “The generals are requesting you at the barrack. I will take you there.”  

Ming led Jade and Silver through the busy Zaria streets towards the military barracks where Generals Ignis and Glacies awaited them. Jade felt a simmering anger towards the two generals for sending them on such a reckless mission into the Hollows' realm of Mondo de Ombroj. Nearly half their expedition had been slaughtered, and they returned with little to show for such devastating losses.

 

Ming gave Jade's hand a subtle, reassuring squeeze as they reached the barracks before ushering them inside to meet the generals. Ignis and Glacies greeted them with broad smiles as if welcoming home triumphant heroes.

 

"There are the brave souls who ventured into the very heart of darkness and lived to tell the tale!" bellowed Ignis. "Come, sit; you must regale us with stories of your exploits in Mondo de Ombroj."

 

Jade bit back a sharp retort, his anger rising. Did they not comprehend the trauma they had endured for the generals' dangerous ambitions?

 

Glacies seemed to notice Jade's poorly concealed ire. "Speak freely; we wish to understand your perspective," he said conciliatorily.

 

Jade took a deep breath. "Frankly, sirs, we feel the expedition was recklessly planned and nearly ended in utter disaster. The hollows' domain was more perilous than you led us to believe. We were unprepared for the reality of it."

 

Ignis nodded thoughtfully. "You are right to reproach us. In our zeal, we underestimated the risks and overestimated your capabilities despite your youth. For that, you have our deepest apologies."

 

Jade blinked in surprise, not expecting such an acknowledgment from the notoriously uncompromising generals. Beside him, Silver also seemed taken aback.

 

Glacies continued solemnly. "You both showed tremendous courage and resilience under fire. Your actions and conduct were exemplary - we failed you as commanders."

 

He met their eyes with sincerity. "Thanks to your efforts, the expedition's survivors provided vital intelligence on our enemy. And all factions have now agreed to unite and create a new organization focused solely on combating the Hollow threat."

 

Ignis smiled proudly. "So you see, your trials were not in vain. From tragedy and darkness, the seeds of alliance are sprouting. And you brave souls shall help us nurture them into maturity."

Jade tensed as Generals Ignis and Glacies explained they wished for him and Silver to attempt fusion, just as Wind and Storm had demonstrated in Mondo de Ombroj. The generals believed that if their top students could also achieve this power, it would be a great asset in the war against the Hollows.

 

Jade shook his head firmly. "Wind told us herself that the process was traumatic. Silver and I have no intention of attempting it."

 

He could sense Silver's surge of relief through their bond. The notion clearly disturbed him deeply.

 

But Ignis pressed on insistently. "With more training and preparation, you could unlock fusion's potential safely. Imagine wielding the strength of your combined souls! What magnificent power you could summon against our enemies."

 

Glacies nodded, an intent look in his icy eyes. "Wind and Storm were merely novices. But with our guidance, you two could fully master fusion. Its risks would be well worth such might."

 

Jade stood his ground. "Power means nothing if it costs us the very selves we're fighting to protect. Silver and I refuse to walk that path, no matter what you offer."

 

Silver spoke up bravely. "Our resonant bond as we are already a profound gift. We need nothing more."

 

Ignis sighed, shaking his head. "Your idealism does you credit. But this is war, and victory demands difficult sacrifices. In time, you will see the necessity of fusion."

 

Jade met the general's stare unflinchingly. "Then you will be disappointed. We know who we are, and your desires won't sway us."

 

Glacies' mouth thinned, but he gave a curt nod. "So be it, for now. We shall speak no more of this."

 

As they left the tent, Jade felt Silver release a shaky breath. "Thank you," his partner said softly. "I could never unwillingly give up myself, even for power."

 

Jade squeezed Silver's hand. "Never. Our souls are our own, now and always."

 

 

0