Chapter 12
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 12

Santiago kept his expression neutral as he observed Shi guiding Lux through a meditation exercise, but inwardly, he seethed. Since the monitor arrived, Lux clung to him like a shadow, constantly seeking Shi's wisdom and approval.

 

Seeing Lux look at Shi with such open admiration grated on Santiago. The prince had worked painstakingly to gain Lux's trust, only to have this interloper threaten his progress. Shi spoke softly, yet his words carried a weight that Lux heeded.

 

"Remember, breathe slowly and focus your energies inward," Shi instructed in his irritatingly calm voice. As he followed Shi's guidance, Lux's delicate features smoothed into serene lines. Santiago barely restrained an eye-roll.

 

"Excellent, Lux. Your skills strengthen daily," Shi praised. Lux flushed with pleasure at the compliment. "Only thanks to your teachings, Master Shi," the boy replied gratefully. Santiago silently mocked Lux's fawning but kept his face impassive.

 

"If you'll excuse me, I must take my leave," Santiago said abruptly, unable to stomach more of this cloying display. Shi and Lux glanced at him in surprise but bid him a polite farewell.

 

As soon as Santiago was out of sight, he allowed his composed mask to crack, scowling fiercely at how he detested that self-righteous monitor! Santiago was half-tempted to use his status to banish Shi from Zaria.

 

Yet he hesitated, knowing such an impulsive act could damage the trust he'd carefully built with Lux. The artifact would surely take offense and close himself off again. Santiago had to be subtler in undermining this unwanted interloper.

 

For now, he channeled his ire into training with Ignis and Glacies. The generals pushed him to sharpen his physical and mental skills to prepare for the crown. Santiago threw himself into the exercises, picturing Shi's face on every defeated foe.

 

By the time he retired for the evening, Santiago felt calmer and more focused. Lux was easily swayed, but the boy's devotion would return to its proper place soon enough. Santiago had sacrificed too much to allow this monitor to threaten his ambitions.

 

One way or another, he would regain Lux's sole loyalty. Santiago's confidence flowed back at the thought. After all, a pampered apprentice was no match for a born prince and future king. Shi's interference was but a minor annoyance to sweep aside in due time. Santiago almost pitied the fool for not realizing who he had chosen to contend against.

 

When Santiago arrived for his scheduled time with Lux, he was surprised to find the artifact awaiting him alone. "Shi had urgent business, so I dismissed him for today," Lux explained tentatively.

 

Santiago kept his voice carefully neutral. "I see. Well, I am happy to have you to myself then." He gave Lux an approving smile, and the boy practically glowed at the praise. Excellent - his absence was already loosening Shi's cloying hold.

 

They passed an enjoyable afternoon reading and discussing poetry together. Santiago was pleased to see Lux slowly letting his guard down again, shyly meeting his gaze with those pale blue eyes that reminded Santiago so much of his sister's. It was as if Shi had never imposed himself between them.

Santiago struggled to maintain an impassive expression as Shi interrupted his session with Lux. The monitor's serene gaze seemed to pierce right through the prince's composure, provoking his simmering ire.

 

"Pardon the intrusion, but I hoped Prince Santiago might spare a moment to speak with me," Shi requested politely. Santiago forced a smile that came out closer to a grimace.

 

"Of course. Excuse me briefly, Lux," Santiago said through gritted teeth. The artifact glanced between them anxiously but nodded in acquiescence.

 

Santiago followed Shi out to the hallway, barely leashing his contempt. "What urgent matter requires my attention?" he asked coldly once they were alone.

 

Shi appeared nonplussed by his hostility. "Forgive me, Your Highness. I merely wished to discuss something I have observed during your sessions with Lux."

 

Santiago's eyes narrowed, immediately on guard. Was the presumptuous monitor about to reprimand him?

 

Shi continued delicately, "It is clear a strong connection is developing between you two. However, I occasionally sense an undercurrent of...jealousy from you when Lux relies on me."

 

Santiago scowled, outrage flashing through him. The sheer audacity!

 

"You are gravely mistaken," he bit out. "I harbor no such petty emotions. My only concern is nurturing Lux's growth."

 

Shi raised a conciliatory hand. "I intend no offense. But jealousy can be a large impediment to forming true resonance. It may be difficult to..."

 

"I think this conversation is finished," Santiago interrupted icily. "Kindly do not project baseless assumptions onto me again."

 

Turning on his heel, Santiago strode back toward Lux's chambers, fuming silently. The nerve of that presumptuous monk, accusing royalty of something so undignified! Santiago's hands curled into fists as Shi's infuriatingly calm expression seemed to linger before his mind's eye, silently needling him.

 

Pausing outside Lux's door to collect himself, Santiago vowed not to let that vexing man get under his skin again. Jealous, he scoffed to himself. As if a prince of his stature even had the capacity for such things.

 

Squaring his shoulders, Santiago shoved his indignation aside and stepped back into the room with a beatific smile. "My apologies for the wait, Lux. Now, where were we?"

 

The artifact beamed at Santiago's return, deep blue eyes untroubled once more. Gazing at Lux's guileless face, the prince felt his ruffled temperament settling.

 

Let Shi delude himself into thinking he had pierced Santiago's armor. The prince would not dignify his baseless prodding with a reaction. Santiago had far greater matters occupying his mind.

 

Soon, the time for subtle maneuvers would end. Santiago would ascend to his rightful place, with Lux willingly at his side. Then let this presumptuous monitor try to lecture royalty. Santiago's forbearance was great but not without limits.

 

For now, he focused on Lux's soothing voice reading poetry, still untainted by politics and suspicion. Santiago allowed himself a small, satisfied smile. Whatever Shi thought he knew, the artifact's gentle spirit remained his, a balm to the restless machinations of the prince's mind. That alone was worth any temporary indignity.


The insignificant stings of that vexing monitor could not reach Santiago here.

Santiago stood tall on the palace steps as Lady Camila's convoy approached, schooling his features into an impassive mask. In truth, his heart quickened at the sight of her raven hair and piercing eyes, the same ice blue as his own.

 

He had nursed an earnest affection for Camila since they were children together at court. She was the picture of Sliez nobility - cunning, composed, and fiercely devoted to the empire's glory.

 

Yet Camila demonstrated an open-mindedness rare among their peers. Over the years, she had taken in abused and neglected artifacts, treating them with a compassion that both impressed and vexed Santiago. He admired her convictions, even as they diverged from his pragmatic goals.

 

It was Camila's courage in speaking out against artifact exploitation that finally swayed Santiago to concede to Jzeda's demands for democratic reforms in exchange for the Zaria crown. Her scathing letters had cut through his stubborn resistance, convincing him this progressive path was essential to win over the people.

 

Of course, his father swiftly betrothed them as a condition of Santiago's nomination as High King. He knew the fiery noblewoman was too cunning to be seduced by flattery or gifts. But bound by marriage, she would have no choice but to support Santiago's rule.

 

Or so his father believed. Santiago himself was less certain. Camila was not one to politely keep her opinions to herself. Their relationship had always walked a fine line between mutual respect and irritation. Her will was as unyielding as his own.

 

Santiago glanced at Lux standing dutifully beside him. The timid artifact still shied from Camila's forthright intensity. But Santiago knew her compassionate nature would soon win Lux over. Already, her promised friendship had sparked light in the boy's eyes.

 

As Camila's carriage door swung open, Santiago straightened, squaring his shoulders. This union was a political necessity, he firmly reminded himself. Any lingering childhood affection was irrelevant now. Camila would make a fitting High Queen - intelligent, strong-willed, and respected by the people. That would suffice.

 

Yet as she approached with a fierce gleam in her eyes, Santiago felt the traitorous quickening of his pulse once more. Sternly silencing his inner turmoil, he bowed courteously.

 

"Lady Camila, welcome. Allow me to present my partner, Lux."

 

The artifact flushed as Camila fixed her piercing gaze on him. After an assessing moment, her expression softened into a smile.

 

"Well met, Your Highness," she greeted warmly, taking Lux's hands into her own. "I look forward to getting to know you better."

 

As she glanced up at Santiago, her smile turned wry. "I hope you have been treating this boy fairly, my prince. I shall be keeping a close watch."

 

Santiago tensed, then inclined his head politely. "Of course. Shall we head inside?"

 

He offered Camila his arm. As she took it, Santiago silently cursed his racing heart once more. He would master himself for the good of Zaria, as a king must.

 

Camila arched one delicate eyebrow at him knowingly, as if discerning his inner turmoil. Santiago met her gaze unflinchingly. Let her think what she would; he would reveal no weakness.

 

With Lux on his one side and Camila on the other, Santiago ascended the palace steps, both buoyed and vexed by these two souls fate had bound to his own. Perhaps together they could build something lasting for the people they all, in their own ways, strove to serve and protect

 

 

0