Chapter 13
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13

 

Lux blinked back tears as he gazed at the slender figure before him, scarcely daring to believe his eyes. After many years apart, lost in grief, his beloved elder sister stood living and breathing again.

 

"Stella..." he whispered, voice cracking with emotion. "You're alive."

 

Stella rushed forward to embrace him fiercely, her own shoulders shaking with sobs. "Oh, Lux, my dear brother. I feared I would never see you again."

 

Lux clung to her, tears of joy streaming down his cheeks. His last horrific memory of his sister was her screams as invaders attacked their village and wrenched them violently apart. He had believed her dead all this time.

 

After a long moment, they pulled back to look at one another through blurry eyes. Stella had grown into a graceful young woman, her kind face now streaked with tears. But her smile as she gazed at Lux was as warm and gentle as he remembered.

 

"Lady Camila saved me that terrible day," Stella explained softly.

Camila stepped forward, regarding the emotional reunion, with a bittersweet smile. "Forgive me for keeping Stella hidden all these years. But an artifact of her rare radiant gift would have made her a target for exploitation."

Lux turned to Camila with deep gratitude. "You saved my sister and protected her all this time. I can never repay your kindness, my lady."

 

Camila waved her hand. "Seeing you two together is rewarding enough. I only wish I could have spared you similar suffering." Her expression grew solemn.

 

Lux shook his head firmly. "Everything I endured led me here, to this moment. Because of you, I now have the family I thought I lost back in my life." He took Stella's hand, still hardly believing she was real.

Santiago had observed the tender scene wordlessly, seeming uncharacteristically affected. But now he stepped forward, taking Lux's shoulder. "I swear to you both, no harm will ever come to either of you again. The darkness of the past will be washed away in Zaria's light."

The prince's ice-blue eyes misted with sincerity. Lux realized that behind Santiago's shadows and subterfuge, he, too, yearned for reconciliation. Perhaps they could guide each other to it.

Stella bowed her head respectfully to Santiago. "I am grateful for your mercy, Your Highness."

Santiago shook his head. "There is no need for titles between friends." He met Lux's eyes. "Let the meaning of family expand to encompass all who shelter from the storm together."

“Oh, Santiago, enough of your poetics. Let’s leave them to catch up,” Camila said with a smile.

After the couple left, Lux found himself gazing at his sister's graceful features, still hardly believing they were truly reunited after so many years apart. It felt like a piece of his long-frozen heart had begun thawing and stirring back to life.

"Oh Stella, I thought I lost you forever that horrible day," Lux said fervently. "What happened after we were torn away from each other?"

Stella's expression was clouded with sorrowful memories. "I was badly injured, but Lady Camila spirited me away before the invaders could take me captive. She nursed me back to health secretly and gave me a home."

 

Stella squeezed Lux's hand. "And you, dear brother? I worried endlessly, imagining the worst."

 

Lux lowered his eyes. "The invaders sold me to the Sliez army. I was merely property to them, passed between cruel masters seeking to exploit my gift." He shuddered at the memories of dehumanizing humiliation.

 

Stella listened sympathetically, her gentle eyes welling with compassionate tears. "You suffered such indignities and pain. Yet still, your spirit remains kind and true. You are so very brave, Lux."

 

Lux shook his head. "Only Camila warrants admiration for hiding and protecting you all this time. While I..." His voice faltered in shame.

 

Stella tilted his chin up. "You survived with your heart intact. Never doubt that."

 

After a moment, she asked hesitantly, "And what of Prince Santiago? I have heard disturbing rumors..." She trailed off delicately.

 

Lux considered his words carefully. "The prince has been cruelled in the past. But since coming to Zaria, he has changed. I believe he truly wants to walk the path of righteousness now."

 

He glanced down. "But I still struggle to trust that his kindness is real. Too often, good turns to evil when I let my guard down."

 

Stella nodded thoughtfully. " Do you remember what Grandma Luna said about change? Seeds of change must be nurtured cautiously. But always leave room for the growth of hope, even in hearts long buried."

 

She squeezed Lux's hand again, green eyes radiant with compassion. "Have faith, Brother, And I will be here now to guide you onward."

 

Lux hugged her closely, feeling the demons that had plagued him for so long, finally quiet in his sister's comforting presence. The road ahead remained uncertain, but they would face it together step by step. 


Lux sipped his tea, savoring the tranquil atmosphere as he sat with his sister, Prince Santiago, and Lady Camila in the sunny castle garden. Though originally uneasy around the formidable noblewoman, her thoughtful questions and quick wit soon put Lux at ease.

 

"Lady Camila, you have been most kind, yet I confess I know little of your own home," Lux ventured politely. "Where do you hail from originally?"

 

Camila set down her teacup with a wry smile. "Please, I insist you call me Camila. And I come from the Grand Duchy of Orehadow, a vassal nation on the eastern border of the Sliez Empire."

 

She continued, "My father is Grand Duke Aldous Renard, a prominent noble house. He rules Orehadow in the name of the Sliez Emperor."

 

Her voice took on a slightly harder edge. "The Renards have served loyally for generations. My arranged betrothal to Prince Santiago is merely the latest duty asked of us."

 

Santiago arched an eyebrow at Camila's thinly veiled criticism but did not respond. Lux's eyes widened nervously. He had not realized Camila resented this engagement forced upon her.

 

Perhaps sensing his discomfort, Camila's expression softened. "Do not fret, dear Lux. Though Santiago and I have differences, I know this alliance is necessary to achieve the change we seek."

 

She reached over and patted Santiago's hand fondly. "I am sure this stubborn prince and I will reach an accord in time." Santiago looked mildly offended but gave a conciliatory nod.

 

" I look forward to establishing roots here," Camila confessed. "Though I take pride in my heritage, Orehadow could sometimes be stifling. Zaria represents a fresh start."

She smiled brightly at Lux and Stella. "I hope you both will feel at home here in time. The family bonds are not always tied by blood, after all."

Perhaps they made an unlikely group - refugees’ artifacts, a fiery noblewoman, and an ambitious prince. But sharing this quiet moment of sunlight and camaraderie, Lux felt the roots of something like family growing between them.

Lux returned her smile gratefully. "With you and Prince Santiago, this already feels more like home than anywhere since our village." Stella nodded her agreement, eyes glistening.

He listened with rapt fascination as Prince Santiago and Lady Camila debated the merits of Zaria's two ancient dynasties - the Pendragons and House Dez Sliez. Though Lux knew little of his homeland's complex history, their passionate discussion brought the topic to life.

 

"The Pendragons oversaw Zaria's golden age of prosperity and advancement," Camila argued. "King Arthur's rule represents the pinnacle of enlightened leadership."

 

Santiago scoffed lightly. "Arthur spent half his reign questing for imaginary relics while Mordred usurped his throne. Hardly effective leadership."

 

"At least Arthur treated commoners and artifacts as equals, not subjugated slaves like Aegor, the Oppressor of House Sliez," Camila shot back.

 

Santiago raised his hands in acquiescence. "I will concede Aegor went too far. But do not pretend House Sliez did not also produce great rulers like Emperor Conrad the Just."

 

As the debate grew livelier, Lux noticed his sister Stella listening intently, her eyes bright. When she chimed in about Queen Elena the Radiant's education reforms, her usually soft voice rang with scholarly authority.

 

Lux shifted self-consciously in his seat. "You all obviously know so much more than I do about our shared heritage," he admitted. "I'm rather ignorant of such matters, I'm afraid."

 

Santiago, Camila, and Stella all turned to Lux with kind smiles. "Not at all, dear Lux," Camila assured him. "You just haven't had the chance to learn yet."

 

Stella nodded eagerly. "We would be honored to teach you, brother. There is no shame in being new to a subject." Santiago and Camila voiced their agreement.

 

Warm gratitude swelled in Lux's chest. "I would like that greatly," he replied, smiling back shyly. "There is so much history worth learning and preserving."

 

The four fell easily back into lively discussion as Stella brought over some antique texts from Camila's library for Lux to page through. Santiago pointed out notable monarchs and events, while Camila added colorful commentary.

 

Lux felt his knowledge expanding with every new coinage, invention, and subterfuge described. But more precious was this feeling of community, of minds meeting across divides of status and birth. Here, they were equals on a shared journey toward wisdom.

 

Zaria's past held tragedies and triumphs, imperfect souls who struggled. Through study, Lux felt connected to all who had come before, and Whatever the future held, they would face it together now, writing their own destinies. Here in Zaria, even the most fragmented souls had a chance to heal and become whole.

0