Chapter 15
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15

Jade slashed through seething hollows alongside Silver, their blades flashing in rhythm. All around them, the clash of weapons rang amidst screams and unearthly shrieks. The battle was chaos, but they fought on back to back.

 

In the distance, a flare of fiery light briefly illuminated the almighty fused form of Generals Ignis and Glacies, forged together in perfect resonance. Their combined might culled swaths of enemies with merciless efficiency.

 

Closer by, Jade could make out Prince Santiago and Lux locked in combat with the monstrous Koŝmaro, twin swords shining with sacred light. Though weary, they battled fiercely, denying the dark creature any ground.

 

Jade had no time to watch further as a fresh wave of hollows surged toward them. He braced for impact when a sudden chill crawled down his spine - three shadowy fey materialized, their cold beauty marred by hatred.

 

"You who slew our beloved Arbaro shall suffer a cursed fate," one hissed, baring sharp teeth. They began chanting in an eerie tongue, spectral magic crackling at their fingertips, hungering to unmake flesh and bone.

 

Jade and Silver stood back to back, weapons raised warily as the witches circled. When the fey's skeletal hands finally thrust forth, lances of icy darkness shooting toward them, Silver and Jade moved as one.

 

Silver's blade deflected the curses while Jade countered with blasts of pure light. The fey fell back, shrieking. In tandem, Silver and Jade advanced relentlessly, denying their foes respite.

 

Step by step, spell by spell, the partners drove the fey witches back under the combined force of metal and light. Even diminished, the crones' power was devastating, but Jade and Silver's bond held true.

 

Finally, two witches lay fallen, their mother-of-pearl eyes dimmed forever, while the third retreated, screeching into shadows. Jade and Silver slumped together, exhausted but uncowed. Arbaro will not be avenged tonight.

 

The distant glow within Jade kindled hope once more. Santiago and Lux still battled the dread Koŝmaro, flanked now by Ignis-Glacies reborn. Surely united, the light would prevail.

 

Jade clasped Silver's hand and raised a wearied cheer alongside their compatriots. The war raged on, but step by step, Zaria's dream took form through the night.

Silver sank down, exhausted, as the last remnants of the hollow horde finally retreated in the dim light before dawn. Beside him, Lux slumped head in hand against a broken barrier wall. Though the abbysmal Koŝmaro had withdrawn back to the sea, it felt like only a temporary reprieve after so many lives were lost.

 

As Lux lifted his dirt and blood-streaked face, Silver was struck by how different the once timid artifact now appeared. Gone was the fragile boy who shrank before Santiago's wrath. In his place stood a weary but steadfast warrior who had held the line against terrible odds.

 

"We survived the night, but at such cost," Lux said mournfully, gazing at the scattered bodies of the fallen. "So many bright souls perished." He shook his head. "I no longer know if I possess the strength to keep fighting, Silver."

 

Silver clasped Lux's shoulder. "You underestimate your spirit, my friend. The boy I first met could never have withstood such horror."

 

Lux gave a weak smile. "Only because Santiago never allowed weakness. But now..." His voice trailed off uncertainly.

 

"Now you have finally glimpsed your own courage," Silver finished. "That scared, subservient artifact is gone. What remains is the foundation of the great leader you were born to become."

 

Lux flushed. "You place too much faith in me."

 

Silver shook his head. "I speak only the truth. You need not become Santiago or anyone else. Just be the person fate shaped you to be, and you will be enough."

 

He smiled gently. "The Lux I see now is kind, resolute and wise beyond his years. Many will draw hope from your light in the dark days ahead."

 

Lux ducked his head, but Silver glimpsed a shy smile touch his lips before Prince Santiago strode up, clapping them both on the shoulders. "Well spoken, Silver," Santiago said approvingly. "Lux forgets his own strength, but we know it better."

 

Lux met their gazes with gratitude. Santiago turned to help support the boy up. "Come, brave partners," the prince said solemnly. "We have won a respite, but much work remains to fortify our dream."

 

Together, the three weary comrades made their way back toward the settlement as the first rays of dawn light crested the horizon. Hard trials still lay ahead, but united, their spirits burned bright enough to guide Zaria through the night.


Santiago followed Jade through Zaria's winding streets, curious as to where the young artificer was leading him. They arrived at a small workshop, the entrance marked with a silver tinkerer's hammer. Inside, the girl Bianca was hunched over a worktable, tools scattering around some contraption she was building.

 

Jade cleared his throat, and Bianca glanced up, breaking into a smile. "Jade! And Your Highness as well," she added when she noticed Santiago. "To what do I owe the honor?"

 

"I wished to show the prince your creations," Jade explained, gesturing around the workshop. Santiago noted the variety of ingenious soul tech devices and weapons. He had brought in tinkerers from the north, yet none produced such wonders as the settlement barrier.

 

"Very impressive," Santiago said politely. "You have a true gift. Zaria will benefit greatly from your innovations."

 

Bianca flushed at the praise. "You're too kind, Your Highness. I'm happy if my devices can help protect people in some small way."

 

Santiago studied the young engineer with new interest. Her selfless motives were perplexing yet admirable. Back at court, tinkerers schemed endlessly to profit from their tech.

 

"If I may ask, what drives you to develop such powerful soul technology?" Santiago questioned. "You're clearly skilled enough to make a fortune selling weapons."

 

Bianca smiled wistfully. "I create not for fame or wealth, but because it gives me purpose. My parents dreamed of using soul tech to heal, not destroy. I want to make that dream a reality someday."

 

Santiago frowned slightly. "An admirable notion, but idealistic. These weapons will be essential to winning this war."

 

"Perhaps initially. But must violence always breed more violence?" Bianca replied thoughtfully. "If we forge tools to mend divisions, not widen them, it could build lasting change."

 

Santiago considered her words. Since coming to Zaria, he had been single-mindedly focused on consolidating power through shows of magical force. But Bianca's humble workshop showed the resonance of creation, not destruction.

 

"You have given me much to ponder," Santiago said finally. "Once the darkness is dispelled, your hopeful vision may guide Zaria's future."

 

Bianca bowed her head graciously. As Santiago left with Jade, he realized the young artificer had shown him a new light - that power did not always have to mean coercion and control, but could uplift, sway hearts, and inspire.

 

Perhaps, Santiago thought, once Zaria's martial defenses were secured, he should turn more attention to supporting those like Bianca, dreamers who sought not to dominate but to nurture weary souls weary of war’s shadows. Their voices would be instrumental in writing Zaria's next chapter.


Lux studied the shikendi board pensively before making his next move. Across from him, Shi countered swiftly, his expression serene but focused. As they played, Lux gathered the courage to broach a delicate question.

 

"Master Shi, may I ask your thoughts on fusion between partners? The process intrigues yet troubles me."

 

Shi's brow furrowed slightly as he considered his response. "Fusion is no trivial matter. When souls merge completely, they become something greater but also foreign to themselves."

 

He met Lux's gaze. "I advise against attempting it with Prince Santiago. Your bond has a possessive intensity to it. Fusion would only exaggerate that to an extreme degree."

 

Lux nodded uncertainly. "But how can we be sure without trying?"

 

"Let me tell you the tale of High King Aegor and his partner, Himar," Shi replied. "They were the first recorded pair to fuse forms successfully."

 

"On the surface, they seemed noble guardians of ancient Zaria. But privately, Aegor sought ever more power and forced Himar to comply against his will. When they fused, Aegor's rapacious spirit dominated utterly."

 

Shi's expression was grave. "Himar lost himself completely in the merger. In time, their unified form went mad from power and devastated the kingdom they had sworn to protect."

 

Lux shivered at the cautionary tale. He cared for Santiago, but the prince's ambition could turn ruthless. A fusion under such an uneven dynamic seemed dangerous.

 

"You are wise as always, Master Shi," Lux said. "I shall heed your counsel in this matter. Some doors are better left unopened."

 

Shi inclined his head graciously. As they resumed their game, Lux's thoughts turned inward. True harmony required equal partnership, not dominance and submission.

Lux wandered absently through the courtyard, lost in thought about his conversation with Shi regarding fusion. He was so preoccupied that he rounded a corner and collided with a solid figure, stumbling back in surprise.

 

"Pardon me, I didn't see you..." Lux trailed off as he realized he had bumped into General Ignis, who was concerned about him.

 

"Forgive me, General, I should have been paying better attention," Lux said, flushing.

 

"No matter. But you seem distressed, lad. What weighs on your mind so?" Ignis asked kindly.

 

Lux hesitated, then explained his discussion with Shi and the tale of High King Aegor's disastrous fusion with his partner.

 

Ignis listened thoughtfully before responding. "Master Shi's caution is understandable. But do not allow one dark tale to taint your view of resonance's heights."

 

He smiled wistfully. "They say when Arthur Pendragon and Excalibur fused to defeat the Hollow King, their spirits merged in perfect harmony, neither dominant. That first bond remains the model for all paired souls."

 

Lux's eyes widened. He had never heard much about the legendary original artificer and artifact duo.

 

Ignis continued, "What matters most is having a sense of self to return to after separation. My union with Glacies has never diminished who we are apart."

 

Lux looked down. "You make it sound so simple. But I still feel so confused about my path ahead."

 

Ignis chuckled. "You're young yet. In time, your moment of clarity will come, and you'll no longer be conflicted."

 

He gave Lux an encouraging pat on the back. "For now, don't fret so much over what you think you should do. Just focus on getting to know yourself and your abilities. The rest will follow."

 

Lux nodded, feeling mildly reassured. "Thank you, General. I shall reflect on your wisdom."

 

As Ignis walked on, Lux breathed deep, letting his anxiety dissipate. His road was long yet, but Ignis was right - when the time came to choose his fate, Lux would know himself.

 

Until then, he would walk on steadily, neither shrinking from Santiago's intensities nor losing himself in them. Each step brought a greater understanding of his partner and his own heart.

 

When the day arrived to become one or stand apart, no stories or counsel could show the way - only Lux's inner light, shining bright at last.

 

0