Chapter 18
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 18

Jade surveyed the sea of ragged tents and weary faces with a heavy heart. The refugee camp on Zaria's outskirts had swelled over the past weeks as more villagers fled the ravenous hollows pillaging their farmlands. If this kept up, famine could sweep both nations this coming winter.

 

Beside Jade, Ming finished passing out the meager soup rations and leaned close. "The hollows grow bolder by the day. It's clear they intend to starve Jzeda and Sliez into submission."

 

Jade nodded grimly. "What concerns me most are the rumors of unrest back in Jzeda. With the farms destroyed and people struggling, there is talk of dissolving the Zaria alliance and recalling our generals to protect our own borders."

 

Ming's face paled. "Surely the senate wouldn't abandon Zaria so callously after all that's been sacrificed?"

 

Jade sighed. "Fear and hunger make people desperate. If the famine persists, the senators may bow to pressure to break ties with Zaria and Sliez."

 

Just then, Silver approached, his usual bright demeanor subdued. Jade noticed his friend scanning the sea of refugees intently before his shoulders slumped.

 

"You can't find them?" Jade asked gently.

 

Silver shook his head, distress cracking his composure. "My family should have arrived with the last group from Matha. But so far, no sign of them."

 

Jade gripped Silver's shoulder bracingly. "I'm sure they're alright. We'll search the camp again top to bottom. Stay strong, my friend."

 

Silver managed a shaky smile, though worry still clouded his amber eyes. Together, they wove through the rows of tents, calling out names and descriptions to each hollow-eyed face.

 

As the day waned without success, Jade saw the last sparks of hope guttering in Silver. But they refused to give up, combing every corner of the camp by flickering lamplight.

 

Finally, a shout rang out. "Brother!" Silver's younger sister Ria emerged from a tiny, sagging tent, throwing her arms around a tearful Silver. His mother, father and baby brother soon also spilled out, clutching Silver tightly.

 

Jade turned aside discreetly, giving Silver's family space for their emotional reunion. His own heart swelled at the scene. No matter how much darkness pressed in, fate could still grant small miracles.

The hollow's shriek split the night air just as the last refugee tent was secured within the soul barrier Jade and the others had hastily erected. Outside the shimmering perimeter, the hulking shadow of Košmaro prowled, glowing red eyes fixed hungrily on the camp.

 

Jade and Silver stepped forward, weapons ready as the dark guardian began striking the barrier with crushing blows. The magical wall shuddered under the impacts but held for now.

 

"It's trying to shatter our only protection," Jade realized with dismay. Around them, refugees huddled together, faces stark with fear. Children whimpered and cries rang out as Košmaro bashed relentlessly against the barrier.

 

Jade turned to Silver, eyes hard with resolve. "We have to drive it back - buy time until reinforcements arrive." Silver nodded grimly, his spear gripped tightly.

 

Together, they slipped past the barrier, careful not to allow a breach. Košmaro paused its assault, turning to regard them with a gravelly rasp. "Fools. You cannot stop my master's will."

 

It stalked closer, darkness coiling around clawed hands. Jade and Silver stood their ground. When Košmaro lunged, they moved as one - Silver slashing while Jade struck blows of pure light. Though they lacked Lux and Santiago's sacred power, their combined gifts held the hollow guardian at bay.

 

They wove and struck in flawless tandem, denying the hulking Košmaro any openings. But Jade felt fatigue setting in as the creature attacked relentlessly. Beside him, Silver panted for breath, spear arm trembling. They could not hold out forever.

 

Just then, the pounding of hooves approached and an amplified voice rang out. "Fall back, brave ones!" Prince Santiago and Lux had arrived with palace guards in tow.

 

Relief crashing over him, Jade retreated to the barrier's shimmering safety. Lux immediately began assaulting Košmaro with searing beams of light that made the hollow falter. Beside the artifact prince, Santiago slashed mercilessly with his sword enhanced by Lux's power.

 

Watching the partners battle with the ease of long familiarity, Jade was again struck by the almost ritualistic connection between them. Santiago and Lux moved as two bodies with one will, driving back Košmaro until, with a final shriek of rage, the guardian dissolved into shadows.

 

As Santiago and Lux turned towards the camp, Jade glimpsed figures emerging from the woods behind them. His eyes widened as he recognized Elder Ironwood, Dean Syril, and the tribal artifacts. So, while Košmaro attacked from one side, allies had come to their aid from the other. Santiago had orchestrated a pincer maneuver against their foe.

 

The refugees surged forward joyfully to greet their liberators. Jade clasped arms with Santiago and Lux in turn. "Your timing was most fortuitous. Košmaro sought to destroy the barrier and slaughter all within."

 

Santiago nodded solemnly. "Then it is well we arrived when we did. Zaria shall not abandon its people to darkness." He turned to address the crowd. "Take heart, brave souls, for you are under the kingdom's protection."

The refugees cheered at his proclamation. Jade surveyed the newly secured camp with relief.

The next day, after the hollow attack on refugees, Jade scanned the newly arrived ship carrying more refugees, noting the Trusk War College and Manila Tribal Corporation emblems adorning the uniformed guards. Elder Ironwood and Dean Syril seemed to be heavily investing resources into bolstering Zaria's defenses.

 

As passengers disembarked, Jade was surprised to see two familiar faces - Clover and Root, also dressed in Manila Corporation uniforms. They waved eagerly when they noticed Jade.

 

"Greetings, friends!" Clover called out, rushing over to clasp Jade's hand warmly. "Apologies we couldn't send word earlier, but this mission was hastily assembled."

 

Root nodded solemnly; his spectacled eyes grave. "When Elder Ironwood sent out the volunteer call, we didn't hesitate. The corporations know they must aid Zaria now or risk losing Jzeda's breadbasket permanently."

 

Jade smiled, touched by their steadfast loyalty. "Your arrival couldn't be timelier. We suffered a vicious attack just last night."

 

As he quickly summarized the refugee camp battle, Silver arrived and joyfully embraced both Clover and Root. "It's been far too long, my friends! Seeing you reminds me of our tournament days."

 

Clover laughed. "Which feels so long ago now. We've all come a long way since those early training matches."

 

Her expression became serious. "But clearly, the battle here rages fiercely. What can we do to help fortify Zaria's defenses, Jade?"

 

Jade's heart swelled with gratitude at their selfless offer of aid. With reinforcements from Elder Ironwood and the corporations, Zaria now had a real chance of weathering the darkness until Santiago's coronation.

 

"Come, I'll take you to Ming, and we can strategize," Jade said, beckoning them onward. "Every pair of willing hands and stout hearts is sorely needed."

 

Root clapped Jade's shoulder. "Then we're here to serve."

 

Together, the four friends made their way toward the heart of the camp, where the smoke of cooking fires now rose alongside sparks of hope rekindled.                                                               


Silver grinned as he formed the swirling metallic liquid into simple shapes, delighting the wide-eyed artifact children gathered around. Beside him, Clover guided gently concentric rings of water through the air, making the kids laugh and try to catch the drops.

 

Elder Ironwood watched the impromptu elemental lessons with approval. "Well done, both of you. The young ones must start awakening their gifts early if they are to wield them when the time comes."

 

Silver nodded, pleased to be giving back to the community that had sheltered him. He smiled as his little sister Ria waved shyly. Coaxing her forward, Silver molded the metal into a butterfly that flapped its shining wings before alighting on Ria's hand. She gasped in wonder, eyes shining.

 

"Now you try moving it," Silver encouraged. Ria scrunched her face in concentration, and the metallic butterfly rose unsteadily into the air again, wobbling a bit before stabilizing under her guidance.

 

Silver whooped. "A natural talent! With practice, you'll be even better than your big brother." Ria beamed with pride as the other young artifacts ooohed enviously.

 

Meanwhile, Clover patiently walked the children through calling forth and shaping streams of water. There were many sputtering attempts, but some droplets eventually swirled up gracefully.

 

"Excellent! With dedication, you'll all become masters," Clover assured them. Her gentle teaching approach put even the most timid at ease.

 

Silver noticed one slight boy hanging back shyly from the others. Reminded of a young Lux, Silver waved the child over. "Don't be afraid. I know you have hidden gifts."

 

The boy hesitantly reached out his hand, face scrunching in concentration. Silver gasped as rich green vines burst from the earth, sliding up the boy's fingers. A rare plant element artifact! Elder Ironwood hurried over, clapping proudly.

 

"Well done, sprout! You shall flourish here." The boy beamed under their praise.

 

Silver shared a smile with Clover, glad to have coaxed the child's talent into the open. Each had their part to play in Zaria's fight ahead. And helping the next generation find their power felt just as vital as facing darkness on the battlefield.


Silver maintained a watchful eye over Lux as the artifact prince warmly greeted each newly liberated slave, patiently answering their questions about life as a free citizen of Zaria.

 

Many still seemed dazed, struggling to comprehend existence outside of servitude. But Lux's gentle encouragement kindled cautious hope in their once-dulled eyes. His own story seemed to resonate with those rescued from callous nobles especially.

 

Nearby, Dean Syril and the War College monks performed the Conversion ritual to formally welcome former artifacts as partners in the bonds of Himar. Santiago's recent policy granting land rights to young progressive nobles who embraced Himar had resulted in an influx of liberations.

 

Many idealistic young lords and ladies jumped at the opportunity to start fresh in Zaria's burgeoning frontier, their family resources providing the means to establish new colonies. Combined with the tide of refugees and Soul Tech development to guard their communities, Zaria is rapidly becoming the only kingdom capable of producing ample food stores.

 

Silver noticed Lux visibly brighten as Prince Santiago himself arrived, pausing his busy schedule to greet the newly uncollared artifacts. Though Silver maintained some wariness about the ambitious prince, even he could not deny Santiago's commitment to upending old oppressive ways in Zaria.

 

As Santiago gently guided the last hesitant soul through the conversion ritual, Silver was struck by the progress realized in their fledgling kingdom. Zaria represented a second chance for so many seeking freedom from the burdens of the past. Gazing around, Silver felt his heart swell with pride for the thriving, inclusive realm rising from the ashes of war.

 

After the ceremony concluded, Silver quietly pulled Lux aside. "Remember when I first met you - a scared, fragile boy bound unjustly?" Lux nodded, eyes growing distant at the painful memory.

 

"Look now at what my friend has accomplished," Silver continued, gesturing to the joyful, hopeful faces surrounding them. "You are a guiding light for your people, leading the way forward."

 

Lux flushed at the praise, but his expression was serene. "The destiny I feared has become a gift," he acknowledged. "We are growing Zaria's future together."

 

Silver clasped the prince's shoulder warmly. "Just don't lose that humble heart along the way."

 

Lux met his gaze resolutely. "I promise you and Santiago to remain true to who we are as we walk this path - never who others wish us to be."

Silver smiled proudly. No matter the coming trials and intrigues, with souls like Lux and Santiago leading this bold experiment called Zaria, a new age of justice might just be dawning after all.

0