Chapter 19
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19

Santiago strolled through the palace gardens with Camila, enjoying their lively debate over Zaria's political future. Though they often disagreed, the prince appreciated Camila's keen intellect.  They were talking strategy, and she sharpened his own thinking.

"We must establish a titled nobility selected from artifacts and artificers," Santiago argued. "It is the only way to integrate them into power and undo old prejudices fully."

 

Camila looked skeptical. "Elevating a few tokens will not change underlying beliefs. We must educate the people and encourage grassroots leadership."

 

"Idealistic notions," Santiago dismissed. "Pragmatic steps are needed in this transitional period."

 

Camila's eyes flashed at his condescending tone, but her voice remained patient. "Heavy-handed decrees often breed resentment, my prince. Meaningful change takes time and care."

 

Santiago conceded her point with a gracious nod. "As always, you speak wisely. My proposals often still require refinement."

Their differing views held merits. Though Camila's cautious approach vexed him at times, she provided an important counterbalance to his zeal. Camila smiled teasingly. "Then it's lucky you have me to refine them."

 

As they walked on debating, a messenger hurried over with an update on the unrest brewing in Jzeda and Sliez over Zaria's rapid expansion. Santiago listened intently to the reports of discontented factions, now looking to them as an alternative to the struggling old powers.

 

"The desert clans of Nara Freeland and northern mountain tribes both petition Zaria for an alliance against the hollows' encroachment," the messenger concluded. "They offer military support in exchange for trade and protection."

 

Santiago stroked his chin thoughtfully. "This could finally unite the realms against our common enemy. Extending citizenship to these groups would also grow our diversity and clout."

 

He turned to Camila eagerly, always invigorated by the great game of politics. She nodded, eyes shining with excitement at the opportunity. "Played right, we could reshape the entire region's balance."

 

After the messenger departed, Santiago confessed his impatience to hunt down Košmaro before his coronation. "That creature's deadly mischief cannot be allowed to mar our long-awaited ascendance."

 

Camila looked skeptical. "Perhaps focus first on securing your reign, then seek vengeance?" When Santiago stood firm, she sighed. "Just promise you won't act rashly. I know your hatred of Košmaro runs deep."

 

Santiago smiled wryly. "Must you always be the voice of reason, stoically resisting my dramatic impulses?"

 

Camila laughed. "One of us must keep this future king grounded." Her expression softened. "But I, too, look forward to the day your destiny is fulfilled. No one more deserves to sit upon Zaria's restored throne."

 

Santiago kissed her hand gallantly. They debated issues ranging from artifact rights to trade policy as they meandered the gardens. Santiago cherished these opportunities to exercise his political mind freely in Camila's intellectually challenging company.

Santiago returned to his private chambers after a long day of meetings to find Lux awaiting him. Through their bond, he sensed the artifact prince's swirling anxiety before Lux began venting his frustrations.

 

"The council is being impossible about approving the new irrigation projects in the west provinces! And the constant pressure to ready everything for the coronation is getting absurd..."

 

Santiago listened patiently as Lux prattled on, enumerating every minor grievance and worry that had built up inside him. Though Santiago had not seen this petulant, whining side of Lux in some time, he felt a rush of genuine happiness at this moment of intimacy.

 

After the stresses of managing the kingdom's affairs, there was something profoundly comforting about Lux feeling free to unload all his burdens, trusting Santiago to understand and not judge. It was a privilege to be privy to the unfiltered musings of Lux's gentle heart, however trivial the concerns.

 

When Lux finally paused for breath, cheeks flushed from his outpouring, Santiago smiled fondly. "Feel lighter now, dear one?"

 

Lux ducked his head. "Apologies for venting so childishly. I know most of the complaints were about you and Zaria." He peeked up nervously.

 

But Santiago waved away the apology. "No need to feel sorry. I am honored you trust me enough to voice your frustrations. A partnership's strength is proven when souls can be open, not proper."

 

He lifted Lux's chin. "Never censor your feelings on my account. I enjoy seeing you passionate about any cause, however great or small."

 

Lux's eyes misted at his words. "Truly?" Santiago opened his side of their connection in answer, letting his affection and pride flood through.

 

Lux exhaled, tension vanishing from his delicate frame. "Actually, there was one more minor thing..." Santiago chuckled and settled in to listen attentively as Lux launched into another spirited tirade, their rapport renewed.


Lux watched as the banner makers prepared the royal standards to adorn Zaria's palace walls for the coronation. Alongside the golden sword in the lake emblem representing House Calibur, the black lion of Sliez would also hang in acknowledgement of Santiago's heritage.

 

Seeing these symbols of rule displayed so prominently made Lux's knees suddenly weak. It finally dawned on him viscerally that he was no longer merely an anonymous artifact, but a prince soon to be sovereign of this fledgling nation.

 

The notion filled Lux with nervous exhilaration. All his life he had shunned leadership, wanting only to live humbly. But destiny and love for his people had kindled a new spark within. Walking at Santiago's side, perhaps he could help guide Zaria toward a just future.

 

Lux turned eagerly to his sister Stella, who had noticed him staring transfixed at the banners. "Do you remember the stories Grandma Luna told us about the ancient artifact sovereigns?"

 

Stella's eyes lit up at the childhood memory. She spoke animatedly, recounting how their grandmother would conjure visions of brave Queen Seren holding back the tides, wise King Azure passing judgments that resonated through generations.

 

Her voice grew distant and wistful. "Grandma said our ancestors' reign represented a golden age when artifacts and artificers were harmonized. Before fear and suspicion brought darkness."

 

Lux nodded, remembering how they would sit enraptured at their grandmother's feet as she wove magical tales of hope and courage until the stars themselves seemed drawn in.

 

"Perhaps Zaria can help bring some of that light back," Lux said thoughtfully. "By ruling together openly as we are - artifacts and artificer, spirit entwined."

 

Stella smiled warmly. "If any can accomplish that, it is you and Santiago, dear brother. Grandma would be so proud to see you bringing honor to our lineage."

 

They held hands as Lux turned his gaze back to the banner makers, no longer nervous but filled with purpose. Through him, his family's storied past now flowed into Zaria's unfolding legend. When the time came to take the throne, he would be ready


The thunderous roar of the gathered crowd washed over Santiago as he knelt before the altar. This was the moment he had worked tirelessly to achieve - the culmination of years of sacrifice and cunning political maneuvers. Soon, with Lux willingly at his side, Santiago would at last take his rightful place as High King of Zaria.

 

He glanced over at Lux, who gave him a shy smile, though Santiago sensed the boy's nervousness through their bond. The delicate circlet of silver rested uneasily amidst Lux's snowy braids, so different from the resplendent gold crown waiting to adorn Santiago's own head. Yet Lux's was the ancient bloodline, lending Santiago's rule legitimacy in the eyes of all factions. Their pairing elevated each other in this careful dance of power.

 

The Grand Mayor's reedy voice sounded from atop the marble balcony. "We are gathered today to anoint Crown Prince Santiago of House Dez Sliez and Prince Lux of House Calibur as High King and Sovereign Partner of the United Imperial Federation of Zaria. Through their bonded rule, let a new era of hope dawn after darkness."

 

Santiago restrained a smile as enthusiastic cheers rang out, the crowd's fervor stoked by his carefully placed agents. Outwardly, he kept his expression solemnly regal.

 

The Grand Mayor opened the gilt-edged book of rites, quavering through the ceremonial chants. Santiago remained perfectly composed through the lengthy proceedings, while beside him, he sensed Lux growing increasingly restive.

 

Finally, the moment Santiago had prepared his whole life for arrived. "By the sacred trust of those here gathered, I crown you High King and Sovereign, Guardians of Zaria reborn!" the Mayor proclaimed, lowering the golden crown onto Santiago's head. Another cheer shook the square as Santiago rose, the heavy mantle of rulership settling across his shoulders.

 

Lux looked radiant but frightened at his side as his silver coronet was bestowed, binding their fates irrevocably together. Santiago extended a hand that none but Lux could detect subtly trembled. Together, they turned to face their subjects, High King and Sovereign, in truth.

 

Yet just as exultation began flooding Santiago's senses, a chill crawled down his spine at a sudden hush falling over the crowd. Santiago turned to see the hulking shape of Košmaro looming in the square's arched entrance, red eyes burning with hatred upon Zaria's new rulers. Screams rang out as darkness swirled around the hollow's clawed hands.

 

Santiago stepped protectively before Lux, hand drifting to the ceremonial sword sheathed at his hip. Košmaro had come to menace them even at the height of their glory. This personal feud would end today - Santiago swore it as High King.

 

Raising the silver-streaked blade, Santiago prepared to charge forth into Destiny's crucible, Lux's light burning alongside his.

Santiago's blood turned to ice as the Grand Mayor's eyes suddenly glowed crimson. With unnatural speed, the elderly man lunged forward, grasping Santiago's throat with gnarled hands that now terminated in razor-sharp claws.

 

"Foolish mortal king," the Mayor rasped in Košmaro's eerie voice. "I shall extinguish Zaria's flame before it can spread."

 

Santiago choked as the possessed Mayor's grip tightened. Through the edges of his darkening vision, Santiago saw Lux rushing forward, pale hands alight.

 

"Release him!" Lux cried, blasting Košmaro with beams of searing light. The Mayor howled in pain but did not loosen his chokehold. Santiago felt himself weakening.

 

Just as oblivion nearly claimed him, a blast of flames erupted, forcing Košmaro to recoil with an agonized shriek. Santiago fell to his knees gasping as Ignis and Glacies charged forth, magic crackling.

 

"Face us, coward! Stop hiding behind an old man's skin," Ignis bellowed, hurling fireballs at the writhing Mayor. The blast knocked Košmaro free of his human vessel at last. The scorched hollow rose from the ground, darkness boiling with rage.

 

"You shall all kneel before my King's might soon enough!" Košmaro rasped as it faded into smoke amidst Ignis and Glacies' relentless assault.

 

Santiago leaned heavily on Lux, massaging his bruised throat as healers hurried to aid the dazed Mayor. All around, frightened citizens clamored for protection from the renewed hollow threat.

 

Glacies addressed the crowd, his voice amplified. "Behold the enemy's deceit, striking from within!" Determined cheers rose up at his words. "But Zaria's light has not been extinguished. It burns fiercer now to banish all shadows!"

 

The people's defiant roar stirred Santiago's battered spirit. Gripping Lux's shoulder, he rose unsteadily and nodded for the coronation to continue. Košmaro sought to spread fear and distrust but had only galvanized Santiago's resolve.

 

As Lux gazed at him with fierce pride, Santiago lifted his sword skyward. Zaria would forge ahead through fire, treachery, and all that sought to break its indomitable dream. Košmaro's vile schemes only ensured the kingdom's new High King would meet him with merciless justice. Their reckoning approached, but Zaria's hour had come at last.

 

 

0