Chapter 2: Spark
41 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Manila, Philippines ]

[January 30, 2024 ] [6:00 PM]

"Mhelwin! Come downstairs! It's time to eat! " I suddenly awoke on my nap as I heard my mom shout. Did I fall asleep? I mean you can't blame me, without an internet connection, what am I supposed to do-

"MHELWIN!" 

"YES MA I'M COMING" Ugh, I should do some exercise, and probably find another hobby or something. I haven't fixed my bed since after dinner, I'm probably going back to my bedroom.

I fixed my disheveled hair and clothes and immediately went downstairs. Is it monggo soup again? damn.

"There's nothing else, young man, sit and wait for me, Imma fetch the fish sauce." Mom said as she went through the cabinets in the kitchen.

"Ma, is Dad still at work?"

"Yep, he took some overtime, he said he'll be home at around 8." Again, huh, we are in the tough times. Before taking a seat, I turned on the television. According to the text messages that everyone got and some advisories from TV, the president will address the nation around 6 p.m.

"... it's been 5 days since we lost internet, and that proved to be a nightmare, from banking to various aspects of our 21st-century lives, everything came crashing down..." I increased the volume of the TV and took a seat. A few moments later, Mom came back from the kitchen, with the fish sauce, and a serving spoon for the rice.

"Any updates from your college?" Mom asked. Five days ago, when the internet was cut, the government issued 2 weeks of school suspension for all levels, from private to public. 

"Yeah, I heard from my dean that the suspension will last longer, because of things that are happening."

"Mhm," grunted Mom as he took a spoonful of rice and monggo. "I hope *LDT fix their goddamn lines, I was supposed to  video call your Uncle about our next visit to his house in Florida."

"Yeah, I almost forgot about that." I took a spoonful of munggo and put it on top of the rice, after that I dabbed my spoon at the fish sauce and ate a spoonful.

"...National Broadcast, directly on the Malacañang Palace..."

I took a glass of water and drank it, and then I put my utensils down to focus on the broadcast.

"Good Evening, Philippines." A man appeared, seated from his desk in the Malacañang Palace, wearing a black suit and blue tie. Every Filipino knows who that is, he is the 18th President of the Philippines, Julian Felipe Madrigal.

I lifted my utensils and started eating again, thinking there would be a long opening with flowery words and such.

" I will be straight to the point, five days ago, the Philippine Archipelago was transported into a new world. "

"PFT" I was so taken aback that I almost choked on my rice. Mom, however, seems to be on a  tranced, also shocked and bewildered.

"In the first hours of January 25, we thought it was only the internet, as the minutes passed by, the gravity of the situation dawned on us. Access to satellites gone, Taiwan and Sabah went, planes disappearing on our trackers, and more."

" We thought of the first and most reasonable answers; Solar storms, sabotages, or even WW3, but alas we reached a dead end. That was until we started getting some radio signals from unknown sources, and upon analyzing and interpreting them, we are pretty much sure that it's from a civilization, native to this world."

While this happened, my mother and I were stunned in our seats, "transported in a new world?" "radio signals from unknown sources?" " FROM A CIVILIZATION NATIVE FROM THIS WORLD?!" 

"D-Do they think we'll believe this?" I muttered, still shocked but still glued to my seat.

"Aside from that..." The screen changed, from the president sitting in the Malacañang to a series of pictures. The pictures depict farmlands, huts, and rock houses, albeit a little small for any details, this can be mistaken as a village from the northernmost part of Luzon.

"For the past five days, the Department of National Defense was tasked to conduct missions of maritime patrol of our territory and beyond, and just this morning, approx 1,000 km SE of Jolo, we encountered a landmass. With huts and houses reminiscing of that of Medieval Europe, and this..." Another set of pictures was shown, and this shook me to the core.

"Dragon..." My Mom muttered. What the hell is happening? Are we in a prank or something? This ain't funny at all!

"If that is not enough evidence, according to PAGASA, the natural satellite, or satellites, of this world will show itself today, because of bad weather they were not visible for days after the transference." 

A long pause ensued, probably put in place to let the viewers absorb the information. President Julian sighed.

 "This week will mark itself as the most significant week in our history, aside from our Independence. This might be a lot to take in, and please do believe me that I do understand. With that said, we need to act swiftly, that's why in the following days, with the help of the Senate and House of Representatives, new bills will be drafted and laws put into place, especially about the precarious state of our economy, national defense, food security, and more. This will most likely cause a shift in our plans for the future, that's why I need your support. We are not on Earth anymore, we are unwanted voyagers, forced to move through unknown waters, with neighbors with unknown morality and motives. But I believe, as the Filipino people are known to be resilient and persevering, we will not bend to this challenge, but instead, use it as a springboard to new beginnings, in this new world."

President Julian stood up and walked in front of the table that he was using. With resolve in his eyes, he faced the camera. 

"Please, bestow me the same trust and support you gave me last September. Let's face all of these challenges together because as one, no one can ever rival our spirit and cause. Mabuhay Pilipinas, and may God bless us all."

0