108 – Reconnaissance
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thanar

Thanar's heart raced, the residual anger from Caelius' betrayal pulsing through his veins as he stared at the concealed entrance. The tip-off had come out of nowhere, but he couldn't ignore the lingering feeling that this was something bigger.

"Are we sure this is the place?" Zephyr whispered, his keen eyes scanning the glowing entrance of the underground facility.

Thanar nodded, his voice cold and grim. "It matches the description. And after Caelius, we can't afford to take any chances."

The two exchanged a look of understanding, and with a silent nod, they signaled their men to move forward.

Inside, the air grew cold and stagnant. But it wasn’t the temperature that made Thanar's skin crawl. Rows upon rows of emaciated figures lay confined, tubes protruding from their bodies, extracting their very essence. Their eyes, hollow and distant, barely reacted to the intrusion.

Zephyr's face contorted in disgust, his voice catching in his throat. "By the gods... What have they done to these people?"

Thanar's hands clenched into fists, the weight of the situation sinking in. "It's the Nectar of Vitality... Solanum is extracting it."

For a moment, everything went silent except for the muted hum of the enchanted machinery and the faint cries of the restrained. A dark realization clouded Thanar's thoughts. They had stumbled upon something far more sinister than they'd imagined.

"It’s worse than the rumors," Thanar murmured, his voice thick with anger. "We need to put an end to this, and quickly."

Zephyr nodded, his determination evident. "Then let’s not waste any more time."

As the two prepared to advance deeper into the facility, there was a unified sentiment amongst them: Solanum's unchecked power and its devastating consequences had to be stopped. The horrors they'd seen only strengthened their resolve.

Thanar's footsteps echoed lightly on the cold stone floor, the haunting glow from the magical instruments casting an otherworldly light. The moans and whimpers of those entrapped added to the surreal atmosphere, the pain in their voices a stark contrast to the clinical precision of the machines.

One particular instrument caught Thanar's attention—a vivid blue crystal that pulsed with energy. It was surrounded by vials filled with a familiar luminescent liquid—the unmistakable hue of the Nectar of Vitality. It was clear that this wasn't any ordinary extraction.

Picking up a scattered note from a nearby table, he quickly skimmed through the contents. His expression darkened with each line he read. "Zephyr," he called, his voice filled with a mix of anger and disbelief.

Zephyr hurried over, taking the note from Thanar. After a brief read, he looked up with equal horror. "They've been redirecting the Nectar... deliberately causing the famine."

"It’s the damn Nobilis class," Thanar spat, fury evident in his voice. "Their insatiable greed knows no bounds. They care nothing for the common people." The memories of the cruelty he inflicted upon the Nobilis rose to the surface, and for a fleeting moment, he felt a twinge of vindication.

Zephyr's eyes hardened. "We need to put an end to this madness. They've taken enough from the people of Astral Plains."

Thanar nodded in agreement. "We'll stop this operation, but our mission doesn’t end here. We need to destroy the heart of this darkness: Noctis Serenitis. I will not rest until I have seen the so-called Great City burned to ashes.”

The discovery had fueled a new passion in Thanar. The scope of the deception was overwhelming, but it also brought clarity to their mission. The Nobilis' reign of greed had to end, and Thanar was more determined than ever to see it through.

In the heart of the laboratory, the massive vat glowed with an ethereal light, the stolen Nectar of Vitality swirling within. Standing before it, Thanar's wrath was palpable. The soft hum of the vat was disrupted by footsteps. From the shadows, Dr. Akenil emerged, hands raised in a gesture of surrender, but his eyes darting anxiously.

"You," Thanar growled. "Explain this abomination."

Akenil swallowed hard, his voice shaky, "Lord Thanar, it isn't as simple as it seems."

"The Church of the Sacred Illuminary was entrusted with the Nectar to ensure prosperity for all. There's an abundance of it," Thanar said, his voice cold. "Yet the insatiable greed of the Nobilis leaves our people starving. It is their very nature to relish in the suffering of others."

Dr. Akenil hesitated for a moment, then began, "It's not just about their enjoyment of suffering. Lord Solanum... he has grander plans."

"And what might those be?" Zephyr interjected, his eyes narrowing.

Akenil took a deep breath, "He seeks to become immortal, melding the Nectar with his very essence. It's a forbidden act, a dark union of the natural and the supernatural."

Zephyr's face contorted in disgust. "That's necromancy. Twisting the very essence of life for his perverse desires."

Akenil nodded, "Yes. He believes he can rise above the gods, breaking the cycle of life and death."

Thanar clenched his fists, the weight of Solanum's intentions making his blood boil. "And you aid him in this?"

"I had no choice," Akenil whispered, tears forming in his eyes. "He threatened my family, my children. I've been living in a nightmare, torn between the horrors I've committed here and the fear of Solanum's wrath."

The silence that followed was deafening. Akenil's confession laid bare the depth of Solanum's depravity and the desperation of those ensnared in his web. The lines between villain and victim blurred as the revelations of the evening continued to unfold.

Standing atop a small rise, Thanar watched as flames consumed the lab, smoke spiraling upwards into the clear sky of the Astral Plains. The sun, unrelenting in its brilliance, cast an ominous glow over the scene. The wind carried with it the murmurs of his men, interspersed with the cries of the condemned researchers.

One of his lieutenants approached, a group of shaken researchers in tow. "My Lord, these are willing to join us. They seek redemption."

Thanar's gaze lingered on them for a moment. "Then they shall have it. They will work to undo the dark magic they have wrought here. We must find a way to counter Solanum's abominations before he enacts his wicked plans."

The researchers nodded, a blend of relief and determination on their faces.

Zephyr stepped beside Thanar, his expression grim. "With what we've discovered here, Noctis Serenitis becomes an even greater threat."

Thanar's eyes turned cold. "I want that city razed to the ground, just as we've done here."

"We'll find a way," Zephyr vowed.

As the fire consumed the last remnants of the lab, Thanar felt the weight of his path pressing down on him. Every revelation only solidified his conviction to see justice done. Solanum's treachery knew no bounds, but neither did Thanar's resolve to stop him. The future of the Luna Lux rested on the edge of a blade, and Thanar would be the one to wield it.

0