113 – Battle for Sanctuary
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lyra

The once harmonious villa now echoed with chaos. Muffled shouts, clangs of steel, and the relentless march of boots pierced the air. Lyra's instincts kicked in, her eyes darting about for possible exit points, even as the weight of the situation pressed down on her.

Pollux, pallor evident, met her gaze. "Lyra, go with Claudia and the children. Barricade yourselves in."

"But I can fight," she protested, fingers itching to grasp her bow.

His voice grew stern, his eyes betraying a mix of anxiety and authority. "This is not a debate. Go now!”

Lyra hesitated, her mind torn. She could hear Claudia's frantic voice, guiding Alaric and Phina to safety, could feel the mounting dread in the air. But she also felt the urge, the pull, to stand her ground.

As Pollux turned away, issuing orders to his remaining guards, Lyra seized the moment. She slipped unnoticed to a side room, where her quiver and bow lay untouched. Drawing an arrow, she infused it with her magic, its tip glowing softly.

Emerging quietly, she stationed herself at a vantage point, taking aim at advancing enemies. Each arrow flew true, felling foes and buying Pollux and his guards precious seconds.

"Lyra!" Pollux's voice roared from below, a mix of astonishment and anger. But even as he shouted, his blade found an enemy, using the brief distraction her shots provided.

She met his gaze, determination burning bright. "I told you," she called back, "I can fight."

A thick, acrid cloud of smoke began to engulf the villa, narrowing Lyra's field of vision. The warmth of the flames began to permeate the surroundings, and the flickering glow painted a grim tapestry of battle. Everywhere she looked, silhouettes of fighters clashed amidst the inferno.

Through the chaos, Pollux stood out. His blade shimmered with every swipe, parrying and slashing with a deadly grace only a master could possess. Yet, for all his skill, Lyra could see the fatigue setting in as wave after wave of adversaries descended upon him.

"Pollux!" she cried out, releasing an arrow that found its mark on an assailant behind him.

He didn't need to turn to know she'd saved him. "Thank you," he grunted, ducking under a swinging axe and retaliating with a swift thrust.

The inferno grew wilder, the wood of the villa groaning and popping under its wrath. Flames threatened to corner them, making paths impassable and creating new barriers with every moment.

"We need to get out!" Lyra shouted, another arrow flying from her bow, glowing blue with magic and extinguishing a small portion of the blaze.

"I know!" Pollux responded, felling two more enemies. "The east wing! There's a way out!"

But as they began to retreat, a wall of fire separated them. The scorching heat and the suffocating smoke made it almost impossible to think.

"We'll find another way!" she yelled, hoping her voice carried over the roar of the flames. But even as she said it, a sinking feeling gnawed at her. Would they make it out in time?

Lyra's lungs ached as the thick smoke seemed to chase them even as they descended into the concealed entrance. As the doorway closed behind them, they were enveloped in near darkness, the only light emanating from a small lantern Pollux swiftly ignited.

"Claudia! Alaric! Phina!" Pollux's voice echoed with a mix of panic and relief.

From the shadows, Claudia emerged, holding a trembling Phina in her arms, with Alaric clinging to her side. "We're here, Pollux," she whispered, her voice shaky.

Lyra breathed a sigh of relief, her heart swelling with a mix of joy and anguish. "Thank heavens you're safe."

"We heard the commotion and took refuge in the safe room," Claudia explained, her gaze locked onto her husband.

Pollux nodded, taking a moment to embrace his family. The warmth of their reunion was a stark contrast to the fiery chaos they'd just escaped. "We need to move quickly. This way."

They followed Pollux through the intricate maze of tunnels, their footsteps echoing a rhythm of survival. The air was damp and cool, a stark contrast to the blazing villa above.

“The relator used these tunnels as a selling point,” Pollux explained, his voice hushed. "A way to escape, just in case. I never thought we'd need them."

"Always better to be prepared," Lyra commented, her senses on high alert for any sign of pursuit.

The path twisted and turned, but under Pollux's guidance, they moved with purpose, heading towards an exit that would lead them to safety. With every step, the weight of the night's events pressed down on them, but the promise of sanctuary kept them moving forward.

The transition from the oppressive darkness of the tunnels to the dappled moonlight filtering through the trees felt surreal to Lyra. She inhaled deeply, the cool forest air working to clear her mind.

"There," Pollux pointed out, drawing her attention to an elegant carriage concealed expertly among the foliage. "I had this prepared just in case."

Lyra nodded, her gaze traveling to the distant shimmer of Noctis Serenitis. "It's a good thing you did."

But before they could approach, the trees rustled violently. An unsettling coldness gripped the air, and the previously familiar sounds of the forest muted, replaced by a foreboding stillness.

"Something isn't right," murmured Claudia, her eyes darting around.

Pollux, with an arm protectively around his family, whispered, "Stay close. We're not out of danger yet."

As they moved cautiously towards the carriage, Alaric broke the tense silence, "Do you think it's... him?"

Lyra bit her lip. "We escaped Thanar's men, but there's no telling who else may be lurking."

They reached the carriage, and with one final glance around, they climbed in, urging the horses into motion.

As the wheels started to turn, Pollux turned to Lyra, his face etched with concern. "Thanar's audacity knows no bounds. To come so close to Noctis Serenitis... what could he possibly want?"

Lyra, her mind racing, could only offer a grim look in return. "Whatever it is, we need to be ready."

The carriage disappeared into the night, leaving behind a forest that held secrets and challenges yet to be uncovered.

0