Witch Princess: Part 1: Chapter 5.1
767 8 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5

 

The preparations for a royal débutante were in full swing. Estel became scarce - she and the Prime Minister Vonne worked together to create a lavish event. Amirya had been extravagant for many years now, so they wanted to appease her on the day to avoid a meltdown. Also, it was a royal’s party, so no one thought it wise to leave it to the princess. She didn’t mind, because she had no inclination to take on any responsibility.

Inside one of her Flower Palace’s drawing rooms, Amirya lounged on a large, plush blue sofa in a comfortable but elegant yellow dress. She fiddled with the fake flowers sewn into the lace.

I like it, but it’s so different from when I was Zee. I wonder how much it would startle these people if I showed up in a black leather miniskirt and chains? The thought amused her enough that she chuckled as she imagined it.

Sunlight beamed through the wide windows and bounced off the ornate walls and decor. Madame Koe, the most sought after dressmaker in the capital, and her assistants scurried about to set up cloth and fabrics, accessories, lace, dresses, and other ornaments in an appealing layout. Etora leaned over the objects, her eyes glistened, and she bounced on her toes. Usually, an excited aura was cute and jovial, but Etora’s was stained with covetous dark green tones with a tinge of bitterness.

“Princess,” Etora called tentatively, “I got a message from one of the Queen’s court ladies - she said she’ll pay for your party dress! Isn’t that amazing?”

Yanafir poured fresh tea and flinched slightly when Amirya scoffed. Well, she still hadn’t thrown or broken anything, so still an improvement. “Do you think a princess can’t afford her own dress?”

“Ah… no, Princess, it’s just-” Etora’s face conveyed worry, and she raised her hands to shake them in denial. Her spirit riveted in anger. Auras like hers nauseated Amirya.

“Shut up,” Amirya snapped. Whenever she slept, she’d remember bits and pieces, and her tolerance thinned. Memories thick with emotion were easier to recall, and they were also the worst.

Etora and Yanafir both reported to Corentine, and at first, she despised them both. She came to understand why Estel taught Yanafir. Like Estel, Yanafir took pride in everything she did, but unlike the older woman, she was weak and anxious at heart. But-

She’s never hated me, even though my existence causes her distress. Rather than hate, in her own way, she tried to protect me. There was nothing a mere maid, from a fallen noble family at that, could do against the Queen. In the future, Yanafir tried to keep the princess calm and out of sight to avoid the ‘lessons’ Corentine had Petra bestow. Meanwhile Etora relished in the humiliation of the princess. 

“I bet she has something picked out for me, since she’s so graciously said she’ll use Father’s money - the same money I’d use - to pay for the thing? Or did she dip into her own coffers? And I bet those precious gifts are so new and trendy that their hideousness is simply due to me lacking the education or culture to appreciate it? And who said you can just use ‘Princess’? Call me properly.” Amirya’s words dripped with contempt. With an elbow on the side of the sofa, she leaned into her hand and gazed at Etora with half-lidded, bored eyes. 

In those glimmers of her first life, Etora and other maids loudly gossiped about how the nobles would disparage her at the party for various reasons: the embarrassment that was the ceremony, her refusal to attend the Royal Academy, and otherwise. After a fit, Amirya decided against a party since she didn’t have to debut yet. She was already engaged, so why did she need to? She was manipulated out of the Academy and out of the party. They tried it this time, too, with a slightly different angle. But this time, she notified Estel, who punished them appropriately.

“N-No, Your Highness, forgive me, I didn’t-” Etora paled, not used to a princess that wasn’t easily manipulated.

“Perhaps you don’t know what shutting up means?” Amirya interrupted without raising her voice. Yanafir averted her eyes and kept her position to the side of the couch while she silently wondered to herself which version of the princess was better. “I thought the queen picked educated little girls for me? Go away. But summon Nanny here before you do.”

Etora opened her mouth to argue but closed it, bowed deeply, and ran out. She only clasped her hands together for the bow, too shaken to thread her fingers. Slowly, Amirya’s eyes fell on Yanafir, who kept her composure while her aura swirled. Perhaps she waited to see if Amirya would snap at her too.

“Do you lack anything, Your Highness?” Yanafir asked after several minutes.

“Jelly cookies.” She mused. “How could I entertain guests without that much?”

“Of course,” Yanafir bowed, her hands laced. It showed respect, used for royalty and the higher nobles from those of lower status.

One of Madam Koe’s girls brought a book over to her and bent deeply at the waist, a small tremble in her fingers. Amirya waved her off and flipped through the catalog nonchalantly, which relaxed the tension from the girls working with the Madam. Instead of focusing on the images in front of her, she thought of A Witch’s Magic for the hundredth time.

All she managed witch-wise since the library was meditation. A frown pulled at her lips, and Amirya was ignorant to the trepidation that mounted on the other side of the room from the small action. She couldn’t recall the details from Elle’s teachings. The knowledge that there was astral or elemental magic, spells, potions, and whatever else tortured her since she couldn’t remember how to do them.

She had to open that damn book. So she meditated. She’d breathe in and exhale in a controlled manner while she imagined the energy of the cosmos moving through her. To the maids’ horror, she even ordered them into staring contests as she tried to read their thoughts or hypnotize them. It didn’t work, though she can handle aura better even after that meager training.

Goes to show if I had even tried a little bit before… Amirya shook off the thought.

“Princess,” Estel called as she approached, “are you picking a dress? I saw His Majesty’s servant before, he wanted to know the fabrics and colors you chose.”

Usually, a dress was chosen much earlier than this, but the Queen, who managed gatherings at the palace, lacked consideration for this débutante.

“I need Nanny’s help,” Amirya responded.

“Oh, nonsense.” But Estel grinned and dusted off her skirt as she sat on the chair closest to the princess.

Amirya gazed at her happy, dancing aura. “Nonsense? So then can I have a black dress? With lots of straps and maybe chains as accessories?”

Estel’s horrified expression caused Amirya to snort.

“My princess, I may be getting too old for your jokes.”

Amirya hummed and watched how Estel attentively considered the options.

“Will Sephine debut at the party?” Amirya asked suddenly.

“Oh, that girl,” her aura danced even more, “maybe next year, I’m thinking. She’s too beautiful, just like you; I don’t need creatures like men to look upon her. And she’s more than happy to keep working with her father. Every year, she puts it off one more, but there’s no reason for me to refuse.”

Sephine, Estel’s daughter, was only a year older. Right now, before her birthday, they shared the age of eighteen. They used to play together as children, but Amirya ruined that, too. Her only friend - and she threw it away for a triffling cause - just because Sephine said she liked Valerian.

Amirya sighed.

“The lady-in-waiting is still not decided,” Amirya stated and broke Estel’s concentration in the design book. Yanafir returned with a cart full of various snacks and desserts along with a small tower of different jelly cookies. “Prepare tea for Nanny, and then Yanafir, sit down as well.”
Both Yanafir and Estel gave surprised expressions. Amirya sighed again, “It’s not like I’m good with fashion. I’ve always depended on the two of you.”

After pouring the tea, Yanafir carefully sat in another chair, eyes focused on her hands. Her discomfort was almost enough to make Amirya feel guilty.

Estel shifted, cleared her throat, and obviously corrected her language before she spoke, “Yes, the queen should have designated at least three lady-in-waitings by now. I’ve compiled a list and am carefully considering…”

“I only need one.” Amirya responded. One corner of her mouth pulled up in a small smile. The rare tilt of her mouth softened her expression quite a bit. One of the servants of Madame Koe gasped - she had been watching the princess carefully the whole time, and she turned and whispered into the ear of another. “And for Yanafir, she can be my close, personal maid. She can handle duties another lady-in-waiting ought to. As of now, though, I can’t have someone from a fallen family as my lady.”

Yanafir choked on her spit. Amirya didn’t bother to pay her any mind. “And what do you think about Sephine, Nanny?”

The question held a hint of uncertainty. Sephine was trustworthy, even if the past put a wedge between them. The princess worried that the wedge was not something Sephine would easily forgive.

Estel blinked, happy but tentative, “I don’t think Sephine would decline my dear, and I would be honored for my daughter to hold such a position. She’s always worked in her father’s business to pick up the trade, but this would be better, and she could even go to school with you…” Estel let herself trail off before she began to ramble.

“There is no one else I would trust more,” Amirya said softly.

Estel’s small smile warmed her heart.

Amirya finally turned to Yanafir. “Yanafir, you’re fine with this, right? I can trust you.” She added the last comment to torture the girl a little bit.

Yanafir paled but shyly met Amirya’s eyes and she nodded. “Then this conversation didn’t happen, did it? We’ve been enjoying jelly cookies and giving Madame Koe’s people a difficult time, huh?”

Yanafir nodded again. The princess’s personal maid was still a promotion and would move her directly under Estel’s care.

Amirya smirked and flicked her hand and called loudly, “Approach.”

Madame Koe and two of the girls eagerly came forward. Madam Koe engaged Estel and Yanafir since Amirya’s disinterest was clear, and those two were determined and excited to pick the perfect dress. Yanafir’s aura turned soft and earnest, the calm flow of her energy was a new sight from her. Amirya’s eyes met with one of the girls who assisted the Madam; the same girl who watched her incessantly before. The girl blushed and continued looking on. The princess raised an eyebrow at her, but the girl merely covered her mouth and nose with her hands as her aura jerked about in elation.

I think I would have an easier time if they were adverse to me rather than whatever this is. Amirya was not proud, but she looked away first.

 

 
Amirya focused solely on A Witch’s Magic and practiced the bits of Elle’s teachings she remembered rather than mind the servants tip-toeing around her, afraid that Estel would get rid of them next. 
 
Even if servants or Estel thought the black book was odd, they said nothing. Amirya left it in plain sight since they were unable to read Latin - because suspicion would arise if a hidden book was ever found, especially if it couldn’t be opened.
 
She dismissed the maid who brought her breakfast, and once she was alone again, she sat cross-legged with a straight back and closed her eyes. With rhythmic breathing, she searched for the threads of the cosmos.
 
Aura was spiritual energy, the power from natural life force. She found it in everything around her: humans, animals, plants, and even most objects. The organisms that contained cores - or fully formed spirits - were independent from the world around them and reacted to emotions and will, while plants had the energy move through them, albeit slowly. 
 
Objects contained the smallest bit of energy, which was stagnant. This world believed aura stemmed from the primordial sources, also revered as gods: the sun, the fire born of the sun, the moon, the stars or the divine/celestial, the earth, the sky, and the ocean. As she observed the world in her meditation, she found some truth to this and began to identify the types of energy auras held. 
 
When someone pulled out their energy into the world, they called it harvesting - the transformation of power from nonphysical to physical. Amirya had never been capable of harvesting. It used to dismay her, since she definitely had spiritual energy, but now, she knew she was a witch. She could feel it during meditation. Even if she could not perform to this world’s standards, she could play by a different set of rules.
 
 
“Aether,” Elle explained as she sat in front of Zee. She reached out and caressed the back of Zee’s hands and slowly traveled up her arms, and Zee felt a strange tingle left in her hands’ wake. “It’s the essence of all the universes. Energy that flows through all of existence. The force of the cosmos. It controls all other types of energy - elemental, spiritual, so on… it threads through everything. You can see it, can’t you?”
 
 
The memory merged with her present. Aether was like a spiderweb throughout existence. She felt her surroundings and the flow that moved through all of it, including herself.
 
 
“This is what you can command,” Elle said. Zee slowly opened her eyes and saw the thrill in Elle’s face. “This is the type of witch you are. You can pull and push it. Telekinesis is nothing compared to moving the essence of the thing.”
 
 
Amirya craved for more of the memory, but it eluded her. Her mind glazed over, submerged in the perceptions of aether around her, and she gazed at the bread and fruit on the plate. She found the threads that ran through it and plucked at them like guitar strings. The bread shook. Amirya mentally pulled the string slowly and tautly, and the bread rose into the air.
 
It dropped the moment Amirya jumped up with a giddy gasp. There were recollections of Zee using telekinesis, but she hadn’t been able to use the strings so quickly -
 
“I was right,” Amirya whispered. She giggled to herself, a happy smile took over her face, “I was right; I’m still the same. I’m a witch…”
 
Yanafir knocked and entered; she broke Amirya from her trance. She wore an old brown dress, the sleeves and bottom freshly hemmed with ribbon to create a pretty, draped look. A french braid pulled her hair back, but her bangs still cascaded in her eyes. Her aura, both excited and nervous, trembled around her purple center as she greeted the princess. Amirya eyed her up and down, then went and sat in front of her vanity. Yanafir followed and loosened the princess’s night braid and attentively brushed it section by section.
 
“Your dress,” Amirya said.
 
Yanafir flinched.
 
“Looks quite old.”
 
“It was my elder sister’s,” Yanafir said softly. “I hemmed in a new layer, but… I’m sorry if it displeases you, Your Highness. I will fix it.”
Amirya sighed. “It’s not that.” She scrutinized her in the mirror. “The Vespyrn Family - it’s gotten pretty poor after your father sold the title, right? It’s not an insult or reprimand, so relax already. And, you're my personal maid now, so I’ll give you permission to call me less formally.”
 
No response from Yanafir. Amirya waved her hand to signal for the girl to pause and went to the main closet, nearly as big as her room. By-passing the clothes, she went to the cabinets that contained jewelry and rummaged until she found two boxes, both silver with delicate designs carved in. She brought them back to place on the vanity.
 
“Take those. If you want to keep them for yourself, fine, but at least sell the least favorite out of them and buy a few dresses.” Amirya crossed her legs and swept her hair behind her shoulders. She avoided Yanafir’s reaction. The gift wasn’t from any sense of kindness. Amirya wasn’t the type to pity in that fashion. It displeased her to have Yanafir dressed so shabbily behind her - it wouldn’t help her already tarnished reputation. Either they’d say this was the best the kingdom mustered for the princess or that she delighted in making her ladies appear ragged.
 
“Princess, these, how can I-”
 
“It’s not like that. Those are gifts from the Queen and the Prince on the last few birthdays.” She never even took them out of the box, and it wasn’t as though they were special in any way. Just a gift given because a gift was required. “They’re less than trash to me.”
 
“Yes, Princess,” Yanafir said meekly and finished Amirya’s hair. If a third party witnessed the scene, they might say Amirya bullied her, but the girl’s spirit quivered with glee.
 
“So wear something prettier to look at.” Amirya reminded her.
 
A tsk resounded from the doorway, Estel and Sephine in the entrance. Amirya’s heartbeat thickened with sudden fraught, and she cleared her throat. Estel shot a glance to her daughter and said, “As ladies of the princess, you do represent the princess, so both appearance and behavior must be refined.”
 
“As refined as the princess or on a different standard?” Sephine asked in a jaunty tone. “I greet the Flower of the Kingdom, Her Highness the Princess Aurelius.” Sephine placed her right foot behind her, laced her fingers, and bowed slightly. “May the sun goddess Astyris and earth goddess Siarrus bless you and look over you endlessly.”
 
She straightened up with a vivacious grin. Her dark umber brown complexion had a cool rose blush tone to it, and it made her bright mint green eyes stand out. Her asymmetrical silver hair shifted behind her; to Estel’s horror, the girl had cut crooked, chopped layers into it. One side had a heavy blunt cut bang while the shortest layers freely stuck out as they pleased with the longest layer reached near her chest. 
 
KDGkjQr.png
 
She carried a charming rouge pink and forest green aura - she and Estel were the only ones she ever saw with a pink core. When she was young, and still currently, Amirya felt a sense of joy when she took in Sephine’s aura. 
 
A dark blue dress fell to Sephine’s knees, and she wore a corset vest on top with long sleeves. It accentuated her curves and bust. Amirya found her alluring, from the choice of clothes to her natural appearance.
 
Estel smiled proudly, “How can we compare ourselves to royalty? Conduct yourselves as the ladies you are. Princess, the maids you pointed out were reassigned, and the new ones are with some of the older girls for training right now. They’ll be trained in the Flower palace, not the Sky palace.” 
 
The new servants only replaced one third of the depleted work force, a petty revenge from Corentine, but the majority of the Flower palace was unused and would not require much attention, anyways. The point of it was to embarrass or offend the princess by providing a low number. Nonetheless, a weight finally left her shoulders. Already, her home felt less oppressive. She wished to move Etora as well, but if she kept that rat in the palace, it would appease the queen well enough for now.
 
“Very well,” Amirya said.
 
Her only childhood friend, Sephine Farena. More of a sibling than Cassivan ever was, she had comforted Amirya after Vuschia’s death, even though Amirya stole so much of Estel’s attention and time afterwards. 
 
When Amirya threw a fit, Sephine stayed calm, wiped her tears, and told silly jokes to lift her mood. Although only one year older, Sephine matured quickly, mirrored her mother’s disposition, and developed a clever tongue. Amirya tapped her fingers on the vanity.
 
“Yanafir, take Sephine and prepare tea in the garden. Nanny, will you choose my dress for today?”
 
They left her alone with her thoughts. Sephine’s face brought back memories that now seemed so distant. At Amirya’s fourteenth birthday, Sephine met Valerian for the first time. Valer left as soon as the celebration ended, and Amirya and Sephine retired to a drawing room to parse through the gifts. They praised and critiqued them together as Estel fetched tea.
 
 
“Wow!” Sephine exclaimed cheerfully. “That was your fiancée, huh, Amirya? Of course, your father would pick someone handsome, but I had no idea!” 
 
Amirya felt both proud and displeased. “Well, he and I, it’s natural, right?”
 
“I’m so jealous!” Sephine complained innocently. “You get all the best stuff. Share with me this time, too.”
 
Amirya twitched and rolled the figurine doll in her hands. Her possessive nature clashed with her spiteful tendencies. Her insecurity often warped the way she perceived comments. 
 
“What kind of friend wants another’s fiancée?” She said nastily with a glare. Valerian kept a cold distance from her, but he treated others politely - nobles must perform a certain dignity towards others, she assured herself. Valerian had kindly greeted Sephine and even held her hand. From that moment, unease settled in Amirya’s stomach. It wasn’t the first time she snapped at Sephine, but the other girl usually easily subdued her with a simple reassurance or acquiesced to whatever Amirya wanted.
 
“Whaaaat?” Sephine said. Amirya’s temperamental nature stopped bothering Sephine a long time ago, so she did not pay her any mind in the moment. Instead, she leaned forward and grabbed the matching doll in the pile. She pushed the black hair on it back to smooth it out. “I didn’t say want! I mean, I do like him, but he’s-”
 
Amirya snatched the doll out of Sephine’s hand as she stood and screamed, “That’s mine! He’s mine too! It’s all mine, you - you awful wench!” 
 
Sephine’s mouth fell open. She had witnessed plenty of Amirya’s bad moods but never once directly received one. 
 
“You stand in my palace, play with my things, even your mom - is more mine than yours! Why do you want to take it from me? I hate you, I hate you,” Amirya threw the doll in Seph’s direction. It hit her face. “Get out -”
 
 
Amirya covered her eyes with her hands and a hot, red blush burned the back of her neck. 
 
My dark past… If only it ended there. Amirya had screamed more, broke down and destroyed things, and the next day when Estel tried to reprimand her, Amirya heard none of it and banished Sephine from her palace. Her nanny then tried to mend the relationship by apologizing on her daughter’s behalf, though Amirya was the transgressor. Her response was that Sephine ought to never meet Valerian again. 
 
They never made up, because Amirya never cared to. Sephine, to Amirya’s knowledge, didn’t appear in the book on Earth about this place… 
Estel walked up with a green dress and asked Amirya what was on her mind, but she simply shook her head. 
 
“No black today either, I guess?” She distracted her excited Nanny.
 
Estel huffed. “It doesn't suit you. Stop asking.”
 
“Tch.”
 
At Estel’s raised eyebrow, Amirya abashedly turned her head away.
 
mVrblPM.png
40