Witch Princess: Part 1: Chapter 16
669 20 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 16
 
Amirya closed her eyes as Yanafir braided back one side of her hair. 
 
“Is this enough?” Yanafir asked, glancing at the sparse decoration and lack of jewelry.
 
“Ah, it’s fine, it’s fine. So much to keep up with.” Amirya blinked a bit and rubbed her eyes. She usually ate breakfast in her room, which woke her, and then dressed for the day, but Finri would eat with her this morning. Cinna woke up first, like always, and the maids let him out into the garden to torment the gardener and flowers alike.
 
The dream from last night stayed in her mind. Of her and Elle, in the woods, practicing magic.
 
 
“You’re special,” Elle said simple. Their hands overlapped, Elle’s underneath Zee’s as she held a ball of light.
 
“I know,” Zee said with a laugh in her voice.
 
“You don’t.” Elle chastised her. She grabbed her hands suddenly. “I’ll explain it all… one day. But your soul. It’s special.”
 
“How so?” Zee asked, a little stunned by Elle’s uncharacteristic seriousness. 
 
Elle was silent for a long time before saying, “I told you about the different witches. You read about omni witch’s in the diary, didn’t you?”
 
“I’m an immortal celestial being that came from the cosmos?” Zee quipped.
 
The grip on her hands tightened, and Elle deadpanned, “No. But those witches… they like to have fun. They’re immortal. True immortals. They’re bundles of sentient aether. They don’t have feelings like you or I. The only thing that has any meaning to them is amusement. The entire universe is their playground. They don’t even see sentient organisms as pets, they’re just… toys.”
 
“…Okay,” Zee responded. “And how does that make me special?”
 
“They like to make things, to experiment,” Elle continued. “They’re interested in the results, what would happen if they mixed a with b…”
 
“I was born in Manhattan, I doubt I’m some experiment from the aether,” Zee started to giggle again but quickly shut up at the look on Elle’s face. “Or… are you trying to tell me something about yourself?”
 
“This life…” Elle began, but Kanan and June appeared, and Elle never finished the conversation, even avoiding it when Zee brought it up. 
 
 
 
“So, Princess,” Yanafir said lightly and broke her from her memory, “The Farena barony is to be provided compensation for the false allegations, and the true culprits were imprisoned last night. The trial was set to be in a few days - the queen and everyone denounced Lady Kayd. But, last night, Lady Kayd hung herself in the cell.” 
 
“That so?” Amirya asked, seeming uninterested. In reality, she simply was not surprised. “I guess, in many ways, that was to be expected.”
 
What was Elle going to tell me about the omni witches? About my soul? Did she know something? The strange spell that brought me back to this life… they’re connected, aren’t they?
 
Yanafir finished the braid and tied it with a small band, adding a flower ornament. “The king also sent a large sum of money to make up for the lack recently. Since most of your funds were used elsewhere. Everyone is talking about how little the princess actually lived on.”
 
Rumors before talked about how much she spent.
 
Amirya brightened.  Yanafir, usually cold and composed, stifled a smile.
 
“That’s great!” Amirya said. “Ah, I’ll start sending you more money, then. Don’t worry.”
 
“That’s not necessary, Princess,” Yanafir said quickly, a light blush dusting her cheeks.
 
“I know you know Sir Raven visited me prior to this, yet the queen seemed surprised to see him yesterday.” Amirya watched Yanafir in the mirror. “You did well -  how is your sister and nephews and nieces?” A compact levitated from the vanity as she spoke, floating over to Yanafir who grasped it, her aura flickering in awe. At the mention of her family, a surge of joy swept over her. 
 
It was fun - to use her power like this with someone around. 
 
“The doctor saw my sister and gave medicine her lungs. The children started school. My younger brother moved to live with them as well.” Yanafir said all while smiling.
 
There was medicine, healing abilities, and potions in this world. Alchemy could only treat external injuries like cuts or burns, so medicine developed around internal injuries or illnesses. Healing manifestations were rare and hoarded by the temple - for the common people, they could not afford the best option. Someone with a healing ability had not treated the princess, either, in fear the temple would do something with that knowledge.
 
Amirya stood and headed for the door, Yanafir following her. The princess was glad for Yanafir and her family. 
 
Well, it’s good for me if she feels indebted… 
 
In one of the drawing rooms, Finri waited at a table, a brown haired maid next to her. Finri waved and the maid began to leave. Amirya paused at the entrance.
 
“What’s this one doing here?” she asked coldly.
 
Etora stopped and looked up at the princess. Strangely, her murky aura seemed muted and lethargic, and her eyes seemed dull and vaguely dazed. The queen must not have much use for her now that she’s not stationed next to Amirya.
 
“Etora offered to attend Lady Finri,” Yanafir said. Although the princess dismissed Etora, Yanafir didn’t realize the hostility kept for the other maid. Etora bowed deeply though, expressionless.
 
“Do you not like that one?” Finri said, leaning onto her hand. “I can toss her out the window.”
 
“Jokes like that aren’t funny,” Amirya scolded, though she was amused. She cast a glance at Etora but sat down. The food already decorated the table, and it was better prepared than usual. She dismissed the maids so they were left alone.
 
She forgot to ask Finri about the Viscount until half her plate was gone. Finri looked happy though, finishing her own plate.
 
Amirya dabbed at her mouth with a napkin, peeking up through her eyelashes, “Lady Finri. About last night.”
 
“So proper,” Finri grumbled. “I want to be more casual with the princess.”
 
“Finri,” Amirya obliged, which earned a surprised but cocky grin from the redhead.
 
“I wonder what the princess knows,” Finri said slowly. “Since she so graciously asked about my well-being twice now in concerns to the viscount, and those cryptic little things you said last night.”
 
“Didn’t I say I heard rumors?” Amirya quirked an eyebrow.
 
“Did you?” Finri mused. “What was it that you said? Hm…”
 
“Well, he was suspicious as hell.” Finri said leaned back in her seat, throwing one ankle over the top of her knee and relaxing her arm around the back of the chair. “I heard this and that conversation, and well, the attitude of that type is awful. You’ve seen Maertel at the academy. That, but on drugs, yeah? And poor Felicity.” 
 
Finri spoke almost emotionless, the tone could even be mistaken for mockery, and she examined Amirya’s reactions closely. “So, anyways. I start following both of them about. Here and there. And they often go out at night to the shadiest of places. I’ve seen a couple people going in and out there, too, sometimes with giant boxes of stuff. At this point, I have no other option but to investigate, yeah? Go in, see for myself? And what do I find? All sorts of illegal things. So then I snoop around the manor a little, and so what do you know, the gang in the capital is a bit organized after all.”
 
“...you won’t alert the knights, or ask someone for help, but instead, do it on your own?” Amirya asked. She wanted to understand Finri’s character. In the book, from what Amirya recalled, she was the type to take matters in her hands, but she knew when to ask for help. 
 
Such main character energy.
 
“What do you mean? I’m here telling you.” Finri said, her eyes wide like a doe. “You seemed unhappy about what that kitty girl said. Don’t you want to do something too? Help me, maybe?” 
 
“Her name is Faedi. What can I do?” Amirya asked. “And you’re saying it’s connected."
 
Finri smiled. “I bet the princess is capable beyond imagination. And didn’t you already think so yourself?”
 
Amirya squinted her eyes, a look that said “what the hell are you talking about.” Finri laughed. 
 
Amirya could suggest Valerian to Finri and push the order of events back on track. He could help them - make sure it succeeded like it did in the first life. But, Amirya wanted nothing to do with him, and she wanted Finri to have nothing to do with him, either. They could take all the merit and recognition for themselves.
 
“I need to see it myself,” Amirya murmured. She needed to get that man out of there before Cassivan made him his personal servant, before he could become a threat to her. 
 
As Finri opened her mouth to answer, Yanafir knocked and entered, “Princess, Sir Raven is here.”
 
Amirya stood, missing the pouting expression on Finri’s face. Raven came in and bowed.
 
“Sir Raven,” Amirya said happily. “Thank you… you didn’t disappoint.”
 
To her surprise, he knelt.
 
“Princess, I owe you an apology.” Raven said. “I doubted you and even considered informing Commander Lepidus of my investigation. I nearly failed you - and it would have cost Baroness Estel everything…”
 
A piece of her felt angry, but she saw his aura blemished with shame.
 
“Well, you didn’t. So, it’s fine.” Amirya said blandly.
 
“Is it?” Finri offered up. She eyed Raven up and down. “I thought I heard rumors that Sir Raven  was an amazing knight, but what do you call a person who follows the command of a fascist?”
 
“Finri,” Amirya started, sensing the tension.
 
Raven looked up and when Finri and he made eye contact, she answered her own inquiry, “A fascist.”
 
Raven stood up, his spirit troubled. Amirya, for a moment, considered comforting him, but she agreed with Finri. In her first life, although Raven ultimately gave his own to protect her life, he waited weeks - he spent the time following the commander, deliberating the consequences of not following orders. He considered loyalty to his superiors, adhering to the hierarchy, as important as his sense of justice, often letting authority take the higher importance. 
 
“Me,” Finri said, swinging her legs up and standing. She stretched her arms above her head and cracked her neck. “I don’t really care about what’s right and what’s wrong, but at least I follow my own will.”
 
A judgmental expression crossed Amirya’s face. 
 
That’s hilarious coming from the protagonist, of course your sensibilities are good. You’re even going incognito to try and stop something that’s evil.
 
“Lady Finri,” Raven  said cordially. “I appreciate your opinion.”
 
He bowed to Amirya and continued, “Please call on me anytime you need assistance, Princess. I will honor you.”
 
“I will,” Amirya said. 
 
Sooner than you think, most likely.
 
 
 
Corentine and Galien sat across from each other at a long dining table. Palace employees dressed the table with fruit, a side of meat, and a fluffy bread pastry similar to a pancake. Corentine raised her glass and a maid stepped forward, refilling the juice.
 
“How is it?” Galien finally broke the silence.
 
Corentine smiled, and it made her look ten years younger. Her dark yellow, almost orange hair, fell over one shoulder in a loose braid, decorated with simple bows. She wore a light blue dress, complimenting her skin tone. “Delicious, of course. Did Baron Vonne hire the new chef?”
 
“Hm,” Galien agreed, watching her over his glass. “And how is the rest?”
 
Corentine gave a confused look accompanied by a head tilt. Galien said nothing else, because even though the queen pretended, she knew what he meant.
 
“Oh…” she finally gave in, muttered softly and casted her eyes away from him. “Well, Petra had been with me for twenty years now. I never expected it. I even had her son raised as our Cassivan’s playmate. I can only hope Othid doesn’t take after his mother.”
 
“How unfortunate,” Galien said.
 
“Yes,” Corentine mused. “Our poor son, being embarrassed like that. Commander Hale should be reprimanded for not making sure it was thorough. But Your Majesty, you had a knight on it before all of them, to make sure Cassivan didn’t make a mistake.” She smiled widely. “They rushed the accusation. If they had reported it without making a fuss, it wouldn’t have to be addressed so publicly.”
 
“I didn’t order the knight to investigate,” Galien said. “I provided a knight for Amirya to use, since she requested it.”
 
Corentine deflated and held back a frown. The indication was clear: this wasn’t a cover-up but an entire scheme. She spun her fork around her plate, scrambling the food. She gritted her teeth but spoke elegantly, “The princess still has an improper attitude, and at the hall…”
 
“Ren,” Galien said.
 
Corentine looked at him, a hopeful glimmer in her eyes at the sound of her nickname. She only ever allowed Galien to call her that, and he rarely did.
 
“I let you do whatever I want, don’t I?” He said, surprising her.
 
“Of course… I am your queen,” Corentine said, her voice tight.
 
“Yes, and I keep looking the other way, no matter what you get up to.” Galien set down his fork and wiped his face. “Don’t mess around with the children.”
 
“Children?” Corentine scoffed. “Cassivan will be twenty-three in a few months, and Amirya already had her débutante! She’s an adult!” Her hands balled into fists in her lap, and at his cold expression, she reigned in her voice. “Maybe - maybe I just want you to look at me more.” 
“You lack nothing,” Galien said.
 
“Bullshit!” Corentine yelled. She stood up, swiping her hands over the table in front of her, sending the plate and glass crashing. “And since when did you give a shit about ‘the children’?” She quoted with her fingers. She glared at him, shaking. Tears welled up in her eyes. “I gave you a son, but all you ever cared about was that wench!”
 
“Corentine,” Galien said in a warning tone, slowly standing. “That’s enough. Know the limits.”
 
Galien left, not looking back. Corentine screamed as his back disappeared from her view and began to thrash the room. The employees ducked and tried to stay out of her line of sight - the volatile nature of the queen was already well known to them, while the outside world had no idea.
 
...
 
Two days had passed.
 
Yanafir assisted Amirya in dressing for the academy, a simple ponytail on Amirya’s head that had her curls falling like a waterfall over her. Originally, Yanafir picked a skirt and blouse for the princess along with accessories, but Amirya requested pants for the day. Though she felt uncomfortable dressing the princess as such - even though pants were normal for women at this point -, she listened. To her relief, the princess agreed to the long shawl draped over her top, covering a large portion of her physique.
 
“I guess women must face misogyny no matter the world they go,” Amirya mused lightheartedly.
 
“Pardon?” Yanafir asked while tying a waistband. “Misogyny?”
 
“Oh, it’s nothing, sweet summer child.” Amirya said. Yanafir hid her confused expression under her bangs, but by the princess’s sudden burst of laughter, she must have seen it.
 
“What’s funny?” Finri asked, walking in without knocking.
 
“You can’t walk into the princess’s quarters without knocking!” Yanafir scolded.
 
“No, not another Sephine,” Finri begged, casting her head toward the ceiling and bringing her hands together. Yanafir scoffed and ignored her.
 
“We were going to meet in town,” Amirya called.
 
“Well, why not meet here?” Finri asked in a bored tone as she pilfered through some items sitting on top of a dresser. “Same difference.”
 
“How’d you even get here?” Amirya asked, amused.
 
Finri turned over the small stone statue in her hands, inspecting it, “You’d be surprised how easy it was. You should complain bout security.”
 
Then, Estel and Sephine knocked and entered the room. Amirya smiled, but the expression slid off her face as she took in the upset natures in both their spirits. The event had passed, but it did not mean it would no longer affect them. She cleared her throat and headed in their direction.
 
“Nanny, how is it all?” Amirya asked.
 
Estel’s aura wavered, but she held together her expressions and voice with a tight smile, “It’s all well, thanks to you, princess. I apologize… I did not realize what was being done to your budget. The records that I received every month were…”
 
“I know,” Amirya said and held out her arms. Her body relaxed as soon as Estel embraced her back, and she felt happy. Sephine looked away the entire time.
 
“Ah,” Estel stepped back, “by the way, the survey team. Did you get their report?”
 
She had, yesterday. There was moonstones within the mountain of her land. People assumed moonstones were worthless since they couldn’t act like magic stones, but it wasn’t true. Very soon, people would discover that moonstones could hold fire and celestial spiritual energy unlike spirit stones. They had to be cultivated in a slightly different way.
 
“Ah, good,” Amirya brightened up. “Father sent some money; go ahead and send them a bonus for their loyalty.”
 
In the future, people will praise the princess for being able to support the war effort with moonstones, like they did for Queen Corentine in her first life.  At least meeting Valer was beneficial due to the memories she pulled out.
 
Estel’s presence seemed weary, but she nodded, and greeted Finri with a small head bow and left, patting Seph on her shoulder as she passed.
 
“Sephine,” Amirya said cautiously. Sephine looked at her, arms crossed over her chest. “I won’t go to school today, but will you escort Finri to the device? I will go to the library.”
 
“Okay, Princess,” Sephine said coldly. She turned and beckoned Finri to follow her.
 
“Hm? I’ll skip too,” Finri said, completely ignoring Seph, who had to take a deep, calming breath. “Let’s go to the library.”
 
“No,” Amirya stuttered without thinking. She scrambled for an excuse - she had created potions for them to use. Her set-up did not look like the typical alchemist set up, because it wasn’t. Furthermore, she was failing alchemy, which everyone seemed to know thank to Pr. Gwynnan.
 
“Why? Will I get in the way because I don’t know anything?” Finri asked with a casual smile.
 
Finri is a natural at fighting, but in the book, she didn’t know the basics about any general studies… so it should be fine, right?
 
“You can’t hover over me,” Amirya said slowly. “And you can’t ask questions.”
 
“I’ll be a good girl, I promise,” Finri said.
 
Amirya turned her head away promptly. “Seph, Yanafir will escort me to the study session at the academy later today…”
 
“Fine,” Seph said simply. She headed for the discarded skirt and blouse from earlier and started to fold them, leaving her back to them. Amirya hesitated for a long time before biting her lip and turning to Yanafir - she felt from Sephine’s aura that she was upset, but Amirya didn’t understand.
 
“Bring Cinna to the library when he’s done frolicking around.”
 

 
In the library, Finri browsed the shelves in the center of the room while Amirya headed to the back to grab the potions she prepared. Cinna circled her legs, rubbing his head against her calf before he bounded off and nipped playfully at Finri’s ankles. Amirya giggled at Finri’s yelp. Cinna then ran and hid behind Yanafir’s legs.
 
“Does my pain amuse you, Princess?” Finri called across the room.
 
Amirya just hummed in response. One potion had to sit overnight. She bottled the liquid carefully, glancing over her shoulder to ensure Finri wasn’t near, because she needed to use her telekinesis to ensure no spillage. 
 
She had two appearance-changing potions, three potions that would erase the last few hours of memory, and two obedience potions. She placed them in a bag and grabbed more from the shelf she made prior - nutrient potions and some of the sedatives.
 
“I’m finished,” Amirya called, throwing the bag over her shoulder.
 
“I can carry it,” Finri offered simply. 
 
“I will, Your Highness.” Yanafir said.
 
“No, it’s fine.” Amirya said.
 
“I didn’t know you were so gifted with alchemy,” Finri said with a lopsided grin. She placed her hands behind her back. “I’m awful at it, can’t you teach me?”
 
“...We have very capable tutors,” Amirya deflected.
 
“But Sol and Fay said their father ordered them to stay far away from the alchemy department,” Finri pursued her lips. “Too bad, Sol seems interested in it.”
 
That shocked Amirya - Prime Minister Vonne’s children were all geniuses, why would he narrow their knowledge in any area? She waved the concern away, as she needed to focus. “It’s rude to call people by their nicknames without any titles, Lady Finri.”
 
“I thought we got over this already!” Finri argued.
 
They left the library and headed for the academy through the transport device, but once there, the three called a carriage that took them into the downtown of the capital. Yanafir looked uncomfortable but did not question the princess.
 
 
“Stop here,” Finri said through the small window to the driver. They rolled to a halt, and the three girls hopped from the carriage. Amirya and Finri wore a hooded cloak while Yanafir adorned a shawl. 
 
“Remember what we discussed, yes?” Amirya asked Yanafir.
 
Yanafir’s aura twisted in apprehension. Her hands bundled her skirt and she nodded, avoiding eye contact, “Forgive me, Princess, but I think I should go with you… I don’t think…”
 
“Go visit your family,” Amirya said sternly. “Watch Cinna closely.”
 
Yanafir bit her lip and nodded, casting a glance to Finri. The girl couldn’t fathom why the princess would leave behind her beast that she even took to the academy, but Amirya couldn’t very well say it would one, identity her and two, put Cinna at risk of a kidnapping. A regular person couldn’t run around those parts with a beast, and they hadn’t trained enough for him to have an incorporeal form yet or to travel in her shadow.
 
“I would never let anything happen to her,” Finri said with a smile. It did not ease Yanafir, but she slowly stepped away, throwing several looks over her shoulder.
 
“I have a good idea,” Finri said as soon as Yanafir was far away. She grabbed Amirya’s hand and led her away at a quick pace. Amirya tried to tug her hand free.
 
“This isn’t necessary-” Amirya scolded.
 
“Shh, it’s fine,” Finri tightened her grip securely. “It’ll help your rep. Give us a reason to be there if we’re identified.” She gave Amirya a grin and went down several different roads. Amirya felt her stomach flip at the totally unfamiliar landscape, but she trusted Finri, both as the protagonist of the novel and as a friend.
 
“Here,” Finri said. They stood outside of a bakery, the warm scent of bread filling their nose. She gave Finri a questioning look. Finri chuckled, “We’re going to a poor part of the capital, Amirya. Even dressed like this, we’ll catch attention and people will wonder what we’re doing. Nothing as innocent and ignorable as charity work, right?”
 
“Ah- yes, but-” Amirya stuttered, glaring at her a little.
 
“What? Should I call out ‘princess, princess’ where anyone could hear? Talk about unwanted attention…” Finri raised an eyebrow and smirked. Amirya turned her head since she couldn’t argue. A gentle pull from Finri and they headed in the shop. Finri took the lead, asking for a bag and all of the bread, pastries, and meat they had available. She slung it over her shoulder and took Amirya’s hand once more, leading her out. 
 
Amirya obediently followed, wondering if this was what happened in the book. If Finri and Valerian sneaked out away from prying eyes, bringing food to the places they needed to investigate. 
 
Her heart squeezed. Her hand reflexively tensed, strengthening the grip between her hands.
 
What? Am I jealous? But I don’t care about Valerian anymore… 
 
She glanced at the girl only a step in front of her, her red hair swinging in the ponytail. Am I… doing her a disservice by being here?
She didn’t have time to dwell on the thought. After a few mere streets, the entire ambiance changed. It was obvious that no upkeep was performed in this part of the city; trash piled up, people sat in the streets barely clothed and obviously malnourished. Amirya accidentally gasped as she took in both the sight and smell.
 
Finri turned to her, no expression on her face.
 
Amirya closed her mouth and opened it again. She went to speak but paused once more.
 
“Is it so surprising?” Finri whispered. She didn’t look affected - but she had said she was an orphan. 
 
No, did she live like this?
 
“It isn’t supposed to be like this,” Amirya said pathetically. “The welfare programs my father set up - it…”
 
“Does it look like these people receive any of that care or money?” Finri said, not unkindly, but as a simple fact. 
 
Amirya took in the scene again. She never saw so many beast people - she thought them a minority, but at least half the people here had a physical sign of a wild spirit, and there were even more that held a wild aura. 
 
Amirya awkwardly followed Finri as she confidently strode forward and grabbed the large bag off her shoulder to open it. She said ‘hey,’ catching the attention of a man sitting close by, and tossed him a bread full of meat and cheese.
 
He just looked at her. He took the food but turned his back, ignoring her. 
 
Some kids from the alley nearby shuffled forward, their eyes quickly darting between the man, Finri, and the sack. 
 
“Come on,” Finri said in a plain tone. She handed out the food. Then she headed for the next alley, handing out more. She turned to the princess and watched her. 
 
Amirya blinked and came to stand next to her, bending down and pulling out the food. She stretched out her hand, and a child snatched it, stepping back and swallowing large bits at once, his eyes fixed on her. In her first life, she didn’t spare a single thought for the lives of the people outside of her immediate eyesight. As Zee, she likewise could only care about what was directly in front of her.
 
“Was I… such an ignorant and heartless person?” She muttered to herself. 
 
“Well, is there something wrong with that if you were?” Finri responded. She assessed Amirya. “Why should you care about others?”
 
Amirya returned her steadfast gaze. Finri hadn’t spoken the words with any emotion, so she knew it wasn’t an actual argument, but a question meant for Amirya to use to assess herself. It was true, she only cared about herself, as Amirya and as Zee, only extending that care to her friends. Amirya rubbed her hands together, stressed at not knowing how to think or feel. 
 
The unkempt, dirty area weighed on her mind, but she felt afraid to chase down the thoughts. There were neighborhood garden boxes, meant to grow plants to freely assist those who needed food. They were forgotten and decayed. With a moment of hesitation behind her, Amirya went and crouched next to one. She lightly touched the wilted greenery and closed her eyes.
 
Her ability, now, far exceeded that from before. She knew how to bend the energy already in the dirt, transform it into something more bountiful instead of using her own power. She mixed in her own though, as what existed wasn’t enough. 
 
The plants regained their color, and she focused on rejuvenating the soil for future growth. She repeated her actions a few more times as Finri handed the rest of the food. As she worked, she realized this wasn’t exactly necessary to infiltrate the place. Amirya gazed at Finri’s back, wondering what her intent in this was - to show her? To genuinely help? Only for reputation?
 
A sudden anxiety spike swept through the spirits of the people in the alley even though they did not physically react. Finri picked up on the change of mood and grabbed Amirya’s upper arm, dragging her behind some stacked boxes. 
 
She leaned over the princess to peer into the main street. Amirya blinked at their close proximity. She could no longer smell the alley, just Finri, whose scent was warm like vanilla with a bit of spice, like cinnamon. Heat radiated from her. She had never noticed that Finri ran so hot before.
 
Two people passed by with ornamented cloaks, obviously not belonging to this area. One pulled their hood back, and Amirya gasped. Finri reached up and placed her hand over the princess’s mouth to keep her from speaking - Professor Gwynna was a few yards from them. Gwynna had no business here.
 
The professor leaned down, only some of their body in view, and whispered to a man sitting on the ground. He looked up, nibbling the bread he’d been given. Gwynna said something else, a wire like smile on her weathered face. After a beat, the man nodded and slowly stood. The person next to Gwynna put their hand on his back, and they all left.
 
Amirya slapped Finri’s hand away and quickly asked, “What was that?”
 
Finri stepped closer to the edge of the alley and watched. “Anyone who doesn’t belong here is either up to no good or doing charity.” 
 
The two girls went down the alley and entered another with less people. Finri said they were now close by, nodded, and pulled two masks out of her bag. Amirya hesitated but then grabbed the appearance-changing potions, offering one to Finri.

“Oh, what’s this?” Finri said with interest. She took it, and seeing Amirya took the lid of hers, popped it open and chugged it.
 
“Ah! How are you just going to…” Amirya sighed and shook her head. “Finri, you’re way too trusting. You didn’t even know what it was.”
 
“If Rya gave me poison, I’d drink poison,” Finri said happily. She coughed some and shook her head. “This does feel strange though.”
 
Amirya’s mouth gaped. Finri constantly stumped her. “What- ‘Rya’? And - don’t drink poison! Not ever!” She slapped Finri’s arm harshly, making the girl squawk. “It’ll go away soon.” Amirya drank hers as well.
 
Less than a minute later, Finri stood with black hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. Amirya’s hair turned a dark green, her skin tanned, but her eyes did not change. She pinched her hair and looked at it.
 
“The colors are random,” she admitted. “I’m glad I didn’t accidentally turn us green.”
 
“Doesn’t alchemy usually have more side effects than this? Won’t we get sick?” Finri asked. If Amirya didn’t know better, she’d think her tone sounded teasing. “Your eyes are still that pretty pink.” Finri reached out, her fingers caressing on Amirya’s cheek.
 
Amirya reflexively turned her head away and cleared her throat. “Didn’t you say it was close?”
 
 
Finri led them down one more street and stopped at a door, knocking loudly. A large man opened the door and sneered down at them - Amirya hadn’t perfected a sex change potion, so they still appeared like young women, perhaps vulnerable. Finri beamed at him though, and reached in her shirt, revealing a token. The man nodded and stepped aside. 
 
They went upstairs into a dirty, loud casino. There was barely anyone there - a few men sitting around, not really playing the game in front of them. Sounds faintly echoed throughout the room. 
 
There were more spirits lingering than there were living people. Amirya was careful not to acknowledge them - or look at them.
Finri walked straight, so Amirya followed. There were multiple doors, both upstairs and downstairs, with a table next to them burning candles of different colors. They went to the door on the first floor with three red candles, and as they neared, noise from behind the door increased. Finri opened and held the door, and both girls descended down steps until it opened into a large room. As Amirya passed the final step, Finri wrapped her arm around the other girl’s back, keeping her close. 
 
The room had slanted seating, the level they stood on was the highest and stretched to a decent size before descending. Several stairs were placed around the room and in between them laid the seats until the stairs hit a gate. 
 
Inside the gate, an empty open space sat. Inside the space, there were four closed gates. Across the room on the first level were several boxed rooms, and on the opposite side of the room where they came in, stairs went upward, disappearing. Several doors were around the room. 
Here, too, there were wondering dull spirits. Their feelings were strong, soaking the roam in pain.
 
It’s like a wrestling stadium from earth.
 
The thought had only just crossed Amirya’s mind when the racket in the room suddenly soared. Two of the gates opened, men walking into the ring.
 
When the king of terror reigned, he delighted in fighting rings. He had slaves fight to the death, knights, monsters, and anyone and everything he could think of die for his entertainment. Finri pushed her towards some seats on the first level.
 
“Don’t forget your bets! Place your bets!” A voice boomed out, enhanced by either sound energy or a magical device. Amirya flinched but stopped herself from covering her ears. 
 
Finri actively and inconspicuously surveyed the room. She nudged Amirya with her shoulder to get her attention and then nodded at the box above them to the right. Amirya inclined her head so as to not make it too noticeable. Her eyes widened. 
 
Through masked, she could tell that the men there were Cassivan, Maertel, and Othid on top of the box, drinking liquor and yelling. Cloaked men stood behind them - obviously bodyguards, so knights, considering it was the prince. She shouldn’t be surprised, since Cassivan bought illegal slaves, but his boisterous laughter and the way he gulped the alcohol seemed too stereotypically antagonistic, even for him.
 
“Don’t stare,” Finri whispered into her ear.
 
Amirya shivered at the air from Finri’s breath and turned all her attention back to the spectacle. “Do you think all this is run by the Midnight Sins? They were this organized?”
 
“This is only the tip of it all,” Finri muttered quietly. “Slave auctions, black market brothels and merchandise… and the gang is so organized because it’s all cleared by their true owner.”
 
Amirya glanced at her, “...Your adopted father?”
 
Finri nodded. “The nobles constantly gossip about Viscount Rowley’s wealth, marveling at the growth of it over the last twenty years. The new king made so many things outlawed at once, but that doesn’t mean it stops its existence.”
 
Amirya played with a loose thread from her cloak.
 
“Remember! If you like a fighter - why not buy him, yeah?” The voice rumbled. “You can do whatever you want with them! Tattoo them, give them armor, take away their clothes, and then send them back into the gauntlet to fight for you!”
 
“Before the outlaw,” Finri whispered, “Did you know this was a common thing for nobles? They’d boast about which fighters they owned. A way to gain prestige through other’s blood.”
 
Amirya stared. Finri was smiling, and she couldn’t understand why.
 
“Humans are so depraved,” Finri continued. “The air in here. It’s like I can taste it.” She chuckled.
 
Amirya knew very well how negative energy coiled up inside auras and affected the environment around - and she saw the tendrils of malice here, tangled together. But why was Finri smiling? Was she nervous? But her aura stayed steady. 
 
“Fin-... Fin, why…” Amirya trailed off, careful not to say her name even though they spoke in a soft whisper.
 
Finri casted her eyes to Amirya, dropping the smile. She smirked and leaned in, “It’s because no one cares if people like this die. Even if we toppled the building, the average person would sing our praise. It’s like a playground.”
 
What?
 
Amirya didn’t have time to digest that or respond, because they yelled for the men to get ready to fight. As they pulled their cloaks off, Amirya flinched. One man had stark white hair and red eyes. The same build as him… a memory flash in her mind, that man standing over her right after he killed Raven. She glanced at Cassivan again, and this time, the prince was pointing at the white-haired slave and whispering into a servant’s ear.
 
“Up again! This one can’t be beat! Will no one pay the price for him? This poor contender doesn’t even know his chances are low, low…. Should we even accept bets on this? It’s almost not fair.”
 
The red-eyed man looked bored. Unlike his opponent, whose aura swirled in deep anxiety, his spirit was steady, like calm gray and blue smoke. 
 
Amirya thought this before, but it really stood out right now: it was strange. This man was talented and strong. Even if he was captured in the desert and brought as a slave, there’s no way they could keep him in chains - not someone who could kill even Raven. Why did he not escape? Why did he obey Cassivan - just because he was bought?
 
She turned to Finri and grabbed her hand. “We have to free the white haired one.”
 
Finri paused for a long moment, “Well, won’t we free all of them when we take it down?”
 
“I think Cassivan will buy him,” Amirya said.
 
Finri studied her for a long minute. Then the fight began. The two watched. The man didn’t even move, allowing for the other to come to him. It was a joke of a fight, almost like the man played with the other before cutting off both hands. The people in the stadium went crazy, screaming and laughing.
 
“Okay, then I should distract him while you go buy him. You have enough?” Finri asked.
 
“No, but don’t worry about it.” Amirya said.
 
“Take this, then, in case,” Finri grabbed the token from her shirt, placing it in the princess’s hands.
 
r6ghfxq.png
1D0KFTC.png
[random note: the word misogyny does exist in this world, Yanafir just didn't know the word herself]
[Happy Halloween!]
40