Witch Princess: Part 1: Chapter 18
460 4 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Chapter 18
 
Behind the market, a small division of housing made up a neighborhood. Finri and Amirya arrived at Yanafir’s home. Amirya and Yanafir would head back to the academy and take the transport device to the palace, while Finri went back to Viscount Rowley’s mansion. 
 
“Ah, I’m sorry, Princess,” Yanafir said as she opened the door, her face red and sweaty. She bowed, “I didn’t mean to be late - the children, with Cinna - ah…”
 
A child ran behind her and jumped onto her back, grabbing onto her hair for leverage. Finri stepped close and flicked the child on the forehead.
 
“Wahhh!” they screeched. “Auntie, auntie, that ugly cow hit me!”
 
The color drained from Yanafir’s face, “Ah, this…”
 
Amirya laughed. She didn’t mean to and didn’t know if it was a release of stress, or what, but she couldn’t stop. She held her stomach and tears came to her eyes. Yanafir appeared perturbed by the action, unable to recall a time the princess laughed so. 
 
Amirya turned away and waved her hand, “Let us come in… I want to sit…”
 
“Ah,” Yanafir looked uncomfortable but moved out of the doorway. Finri and Amirya came in; the princess sat at a table near the door. Besides the child hanging off of Yanafir, there were three others in this room. They all stood around the beast, who laid on the ground, panting heavily, a happy flopping tongue hanging from his mouth.
 
“Children, this is the royal princess. Behave…”
 
A little girl jumped from the floor, abandoning a straw doll, and raced towards Amirya. Yanafir shouted no and reached for her, but the swift child ducked and leaped for a chair, tumbling into the table right next to Amirya. 
 
“Your highness!” she said happily. “Auntie Yanafir said you gave momma medicine and the school fees!” She fell forward, into Amirya’s lap, giving her an awkward hug. “Thank you!”
 
“Don’t touch!” Yanafir yelled, snatching the girl’s arm and tugging her off. The girl began to cry. The other two children, obviously boys, stood back awkwardly.
 
“...it’s fine.” Amirya said.
 
She gave that money to buy Yanafir’s silence, but she felt odd, seeing the people who would otherwise suffer without it. She averted her gaze, looking around the messy home, “This is your sister’s home? Where is she? She’s the mother, right?”
 
“Davine is my brother, but the others are my sister’s children…” Yanafir said, one hand coming to rest on one of the boys. “My sister, she’s… she’s better, thanks to the princess, but she’s in bed…”
 
“If she needs care, it’s fine,” Amirya said quickly. 
 
Yanafir shook her head, hands grasped together.
 
Finri and the other boy, the tallest of them, were having a staring match. Finri’s eyebrow quirked upwards and she crossed her arms. Cinna finally regained his breath and trudged over to the princess, shoving his head in her lap for her touch.
 
“I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable,” Amirya said while petting Cinna. Yanafir’s aura had not relaxed since they arrived. Yanafir quickly denied it and bowed again.
 
“No, I didn’t mean to make the princess wait, it’s just,” Yanafir covered her face.
 
“I needed a rest,” Amirya said simply, and her eyes fell to the girl next to Yanafir. “It seems hard.”
 
Yanafir’s father was the merchant Vespyrn - supposedly one of the wealthiest in the capital, as he had trade partners in the Tefra Kingdom, the Rivertill duchy, and the rare imports from the land across the east. If only his father hadn’t lost their noble title, they would stand much higher in society.
 
The shabby, near rundown house, seemed subpar for one of his children. He had married his eldest daughter back into nobility, and he probably hoped that Yanafir, becoming a palace maid, would do the same -  or at least a knight. 
 
Why did her sister and their children live in poverty, needing a sponsor, anyways? The queen shouldn’t have had the ability to leverage Yanafir’s family who was wealthy. Amirya bit her lip. She had never bothered to ask or learn about Yanafir, only demanded her obedience.
 
“It’s better now!” The girls yelled, tossing up her arms excitedly. “We eat everyday now!”
 
“Shh,” the older boy said and broke away from staring at Finri. 
 
Finri came and sat on top of the table, next to Amirya. Amirya smacked her leg, whispering it was rude, but the other girl just ignored it.
“...if you’re struggling, there are programs my father set up…” Amirya said slowly. She already guessed the answer. What she saw in the slums - that wasn’t supposed to happen. Her father was hailed as a progressive, care-taking king, but the truth she had to swallow tonight was otherwise: he, and the other nobles, simply turned their eyes away from the shadows. 
 
It wasn’t within their eyesight, so it wasn’t a problem. She was like the people she hated and wanted revenge on - they abandoned and sacrificed her, but these people were abandoned and sacrificed to the cruelest part of society already. 
 
“...” Yanafir slowly raised her gaze. “We… Princess, my father, the Merchant Vespyrn… because of that, my sister does not qualify…”
 
“...But, didn’t you say her husband passed? Why doesn’t your father…” 
 
Yanafir started to usher the children towards the stairs, instructing them to go check on their other sibling and their mother quickly and chastising them by saying they should already be in bed, that their ruckus made her rude.
 
Yanafir dusted off her skirt and turned back. “My father disowned my sister for having a child out of wedlock. She wanted to marry a baker’s apprentice, and he opposed it, but she went ahead. My brother-in-law, both of them, unfortunately, have died.”
 
“Both?”
 
“Her first and second husband.”
 
“And your father has just abandoned her?”
 
“Yes…”
 
“But not you,” Amirya said. “I understand it now.”
 
“I’m ashamed to show such a sight to the princess,” Yanafir said and lowered her head again. She was a soft and sweet girl, but Amirya wished she had more backbone like Sephine or even brashness like Finri. She really was the perfect victim for Corentine to target.
 
“I’ll help you more,” Amirya said easily. She stood; Cinna backed up, tail wagging. Yanafir began to refuse, but Amirya said, “What? Didn’t you just say you were ashamed? I’ll help alleviate it then. I’m ashamed, too. Of many things.” 
 
She turned away and dug through her bag - earlier in the afternoon, she was so overwhelmed she forgot about the potions while handing out food. She set the nutrient rich ones and the table and said, “Give these to your sister. They’re not medicine, but they should help her constitution at least.” 
 
And not wanting to look at Yanafir, she kept her back to the room, but she caught Finri’s gaze in front of her… Finri, who snacked on an apple.
 
“...”
 
“...”
 
“Are you eating their food?” Amirya asked in pure disbelief.
 
Finri shrugged. Amirya hit her shoulder repeatedly, disgruntled, “What kind of heroine are you!”
 
“Heroine?” Finri asked, closing one eye and attempting to bend away from the princess’s hand. “I worked up an appetite being a heroine, then!”
 
“We can buy food, or you can go home, you - you oaf!”
 
A small piece of apple fell from Finri’s mouth, “Oaf?”
 
Yanafir cleared her throat. Amirya stepped back, blushing, and then left the house. The two other girls quickly followed her while Cinna whined and trotted after them. None of the girls picked him up; he was too large for babying. Finri chuckled and finished her apple as Yanafir gave her a side-eye.
 
“What?” Finri asked.
 
“Her highness, the princess is right,” Yanafir said softly. “Lady Sephine too.” Yanafir looked straight ahead and walked faster towards the princess.
 
“Hey!” Finri refuted.
 
 
They separated, and Finri went back to Viscount Rowley’s mansion, hoping an injured Maertel would soon appear for her amusement. She ascended the main hall’s stairs towards her room when a lithe figure with long black hair emerged from a drawing room. Finri paused and scanned Felicity’s form to deduce the girl’s intentions.
 
“What’cha doing in there?” Finri asked, resting her hands behind her head.
 
Felicity pursed her lips while a conflicted expression flickered across her face. No maids accompanied her. “You know, don’t you?” she whispered.
 
“Hm?” Finri scuffed her feet on the floor. “What do I know, sister of mine?”
 
Usually, Felicity would rebuke or at least scoff at her use of any familial terms. This time, though, Felicity stepped into Finri’s space she maintained her steadfast gaze. Finri’s facial expression didn’t budge. Felicity reached up, gently took Finri’s forearm, and pulled it down from behind her head, circling the redhead’s wrist. She lightly towed the younger girl forward and turned, leading the way to Finri’s room. Once inside, Felicity merely stood at the door. 
 
Finri sighed, flopping down in a chair and crossing her ankles.
 
“About everything,” Felicity said. “My father - my marriage, everything.”
 
“What do you want, Felicity?” Finri asked, leaning her head back.
 
Felicity went to the large doors near the balcony and looked out at the cloudy sky with her eyes trained on the moon. She touched the glass wistfully, “I just, want to be away from it all.”
 
“How boring.” Finri commented. “Your father reprimands you with words and canes. And your brother beats you out of jealousy for not being the direct bloodline. And also, cause your energy capacity is far greater than his.” 
 
Felicity spun towards her, shocked, ready to deny. 
 
“You know I don’t compliment others - I’m much too lazy for that. That little boy can harvest, if he concentrates, but he can’t even manifest a skill. Come on, Fel, you have talent. It’s sad that it won’t do anything for you but make your life worse. Your father doesn’t wanna see it. Dear ole Maertel doesn’t wanna see it. You could become a fighter if you wanted. Ice is one of the most powerful attributes, don’t you know? A rarer one, too.”
 
“Is it?” Felicity asked in a quiet voice.
 
“Mhm,” Finri sighed. “Ah, but you got sold off to some dude that’s already killed… what was it, two or three past wives? Who knows what will happen to you. It’s not even like your father needs the money. Ah ha - actually, it’s just the connections. Heindick or whatever his name is, he got his hands into an illegal beast market. Would make a good addition to selling slaves and drugs, yeah? They’ve already started trade just from the engagement.”
 
Felicity turned her head, “...I know, you know. You’re sticking your nose into their business. Maertel is an idiot, but my father, he wants to use you.”
 
“No shit,” Finri said.
 
“Why? Why stay around when you see what they’re like? You must have a plan,” Felicity said, desperation tinting her voice. “You’re not like them!”
 
“Why, do you think you’ll ride my coattails and escape?” Finri asked. “You think I’m escaping or something? You wanna bring that knight you sneak around with, with you?”
 
“I never wanted to be a part of this family!” Felicity yelled then bit her lip. Tears welled in her eyes. She ignored the comment about the knight. “I’ve done everything, everything! Yet he values Maertel! Just because I think we should develop our artisans more, the perfume or cosmetics lines - we’re capable beyond that shady, back alley antics - the drugs, the gambling, the-”
 
“Human trafficking? Brothels?” Finri added. “What a kind girl.”
 
Felicity covered her face in her hands, “I can’t stop it. Even if I go to the knights of the palace - or the academy. They have their hands everywhere. Don’t you know there’s high nobles involved? Behind them, backing them? I just want to be free.”
 
“Should we make a deal then?” Finri asked. “What you want - would you even sell your soul?”
 
“What?” Felicity asked.
 
Finri stood up and stalked over to the doors, leaning her head and shoulder against it. She smiled. “But isn’t escaping and leaving them to get away with it all so… lackluster… disappointing? You know a lot of his current success is due to your assistance.”
 
Felicity didn’t respond. Finri reached out and tucker black strands behind the girl’s ear and continued, speaking lowly, “Isn’t that too little? No, why is your world so small? Don’t you deserve anything, Felicity?”
 
“Like what?” Felicity asked, mesmerized by Finri’s yellow eyes, throat closing up. 
 
“Like you said,” Finri said in a melodic tone, “you’re not a part of the… criminal things, but your last name is Rowley. Doesn’t that mean only you have the right to pluck out the shit and claim the title?”
 
“...Over father and brother?” Felicity asked.
 
“They’re just men,” Finri scoffed.
 
“...How?” she asked.
 
Finri giggled, dropping her hand. “Don’t worry. I’ll help you - totally free this time. Besides,” Finri looked out to the shining moon, “this kind of thing - it’s fun. I’ll end up getting all sorts of rewards. Most of it is already in motion. I just need one thing from you.”
 
 
 
 
Amirya, exhausted, went directly to her room -  to find Sephine and Raven standing in the middle of her foyer. Cinna paid them no mind and rushed to her bed and sprung on it; he must have known the atmosphere would prevent anyone from chastising him. Amirya awkwardly puckered her lips at the tension, both their auras were deeply displeased. 
 
“...It’s late,” Amirya greeted.
 
Sephine crossed her arm. Raven bowed and said, “I greet Her Highness, the first princess.”
 
“It’s late because you’ve arrived late, Princess,” Sephine said bluntly. Raven casted a glance at her from the side; although also unhappy with the princess, he didn’t like the informal, bordering on rude, greeting to a royal.
 
“Yes, I did say that I would be going to the study session late,” Amirya mused. She walked toward the vanity, undoing her earrings. Yanafir split with her just before on her request for a late meal.
 
“This late…!” Sephine gritted her teeth and turned her back. Her aura twisted up.
 
“Princess, respectfully,” Raven said, stepping forward. “If you’re to be out past dark, please let me know. I will escort you. Or at least assign a capable, trustworthy knight to do so.”
 
“...I understand.” Amirya said softly. Her guard broke down; at first, she felt slighted, but she realized they were here, waiting for her out of concern. Her heart beat loudly in her ears, and she covered her chest with her palm. 
 
They were worried for me. 
 
Had anyone, after Estel left in the first life, spared even a thought for her? Raven had always been kind, but he kept his distance, and she couldn’t realize that it was true goodwill. Now, in this life, they’ve had several interactions. With Sephine, they so easily overcame the past, and now she was here with her by choice. 
 
“Thank you, Sir Raven. I will. I am sorry I worried you.”
 
Raven smiled at her sincerity. He came to her and took her hand, gently kissing the back of it, “Then, goodnight princess. Please depend on me as you have been.”
 
“Sure,” Amirya said, stunned.
 
Raven left, and the princess shrugged off her cloak, tossing it over a chair. She stared at the back of Sephine’s head, who didn’t bother to try and help her or say what bothered her. 
 
“I’m sorry to you too, Seph.” She said softly.
 
“Yeah, I’m sure.” Sephine’s curtly responded.
 
“...I want to take a bath,” Amirya finally spoke after a long pause. That place had left her feeling dirty.
 
Without saying anything, Sephine left to get a maid. Amirya frowned, looking to the ground. 
 
What should I do, Cinna? I saved Estel, so I thought Seph would be happy… 
 
Cinna rolled over on the bed, stretching out both legs and yawned. 
 
Amirya huffed, “You’re no help.”
 
The bath was warm, and Amirya bathed alone like usual, and when she got out, she donned the nightdress Sephine left, but Sephine was gone. A light meal sat on the table and Yanafir grabbed a towel to dry her hair. A sense of unease would not leave her.
 
 
 
Corentine lounged on a long green sofa, her dark orange-blond hair flowing behind her across the back of it. Regina stood behind her, brushing the hair methodically and slowly as another maid sat in front of the sofa, reading musically from a poetry book, while a different maid carefully manicured one of Corentine’s hand. A soft knock interrupted the delicate climate, and a man dressed in black entered. His steps made no noise, and he knelt in front of her. 
 
“Leave,” she dismissed her maids with a flick of her hand. Regina also stepped back, but the queen raised her hand, halting her. She jerked her fingers, signaling for Regina to stand next to her, and the lady complied. 
 
“Speak,” Corentine commanded after the maids left.
 
“My Queen,” the man started. He was one of the shadow knights of the southern duchy, sent by her father to overlook the queen and move on her order. “The princess left the academy on the day of the attack with her maid and the girl with notable fire aura. They went into the Northwest part of the city - the slums, where the Midnight headquarters are at. They evaded detection at some point.”
 
“You lost two little girls?” Corentine spoke with disgust, her eyes crinkling in anger. “What kind of incompetence is my father letting fly these days?” The comment wasn’t just a chastisement but a threat to report his failure to Duke Rivertill, known for his harsh punishments.
The man did not falter at all. “And the Farena fabric business - they’ve paid off their loans and ended their contract with the Southern Mercenary group.”
 
“What!” the queen screeched and jumped to her feet. 
 
Estel Farena, the princess’s nanny, was not solely targeted to isolate Amirya - that was a bonus for Corentine who delighted in the girl’s misery. Instead, the Farena barony had a lucrative hold on the fabric industry. They had taken a loan and enlisted the help of mercenaries to help till fields across the southern river, and it would have been a good investment had they not been tricked with the fine details. Outing Farena from the palace would outcast the family from high society and make the takeover smoother, but instead, they somehow paid the cancellation fee. 
 
“Impossible. You couldn’t get that shitty land deed from the princess, and now you’ve let them escape the loan?”
 
Her eyes darkened. She grabbed the tea kettle from the table, and the man closed his eyes, waiting. The porcelain smashed against his head, breaking and scalding him, leaving cuts across his face. Corentine screamed abuse at him, called him a useless bastard. 
 
“There’s been no news about the one who attacked the prince,” the man continued. “But… two of the men located in a different part. They were under the effects of an artifact that put them to sleep.”
 
She turned her back, nails digging into her palms. Regina stepped forward and reached for the queen’s hands but Corentine jerked away, a wide, unhinged smile across her face now.
 
“Fine, fine. I get it. The princess wants to get in my way and explore the world, does she? Teach her how scary the world is.” She glared down at the man. “Don’t fuck this up. Ah, don’t kill her or seriously harm her, that would be too much trouble. The King would get involved. But what’s the life of a beast or a maid? She’s overdue to learn the way of the world.”
 
“I understand,” the man said. He rose from his position, quickly disappearing.
 
“Disgraceful bitch,” Corentine muttered. Anger rose up sharply, and she grabbed and threw things in violence. After exerting herself, she fell to the couch, panting. Regina’s hands landed on her shoulders, massaging gently.
 
“My queen,” Regina said gently, waiting for the flick of Corentine’s eyes to continue. “Commander Hales’s sister, Mrs. Gwynna, is one of Lady Izelle’s and the Princess’s teachers. Though she behaves well these days, isn’t she still just the incompetent, idiotic girl who threw tantrums and screamed? That girl can’t be gone so easily.”
 
“That’s true,” Corentine rubbed her chin and flipped over. “Even Galien has a limit for his patience… he would only tolerate so much embarrassment to the royal name… Even still, Gwynna is useless in this. She always takes things too far.”
 
“Oh no, not that,” Regina stated. “I meant, just poke her a bit in class. The princess will do the rest on her own.”
 

 

“Merry,” Nix said as he slid through a window.

A scream came from the young boy with dull maroon hair. He threw some paper he held up in the air but caught them all before they landed on the desk in front of him or the ground. Placing them on the corner of the desk, the boy stood up and breathed heavily.

“How many times have I asked you Master, please-“

“No master stuff,” Nix chuckled.

“O-kay, leader sir,” Merry said, half-mocking.

Nix ruffled his hair as he passed by and flopped down in the desk chair, slapping his hands on the papers and dragging them. “This everything on the princess?”

“Yes,” Merry rolled his eyes. “And before you ask, I’m sure.”

“Sure you are,” Nix said lightly. “Oh, I have a name now. But I won’t tell you.”

Merry stuck out his tongue.

“Leave,” Nix stated simply. The boy muttered a ‘yeah, yeah’ before disappearing behind the door to the upper floor room of a bar on the edge of the capital city.

He flipped through the paper quickly, unsurprised to find there was nothing new listed.

“Just means it’s not updated, and someone is good at secrets,” he hummed. He opened up the bottom drawer with a key and pulled out a magical tool with a large white spirit stone in the middle of it. Placing his hand on it, he activated the stone and the object began to whir.

“You’re late. Again.” A muffled male voice came through the tool. “You’re in the palace then?”

“Well… if all plans went to plan, then the answer is yes.” Nix said happily.

“…that sounds like the answer is no. Report.”

Nix pouted. “That’s all? Aw, my dear, can’t I get-“

“This is limited time.”

“I know. You alwaaays remind me,” Nix huffed. He kicked his feet up on the desk and sighed, placing his hands behind his head. “I found something somewhat interesting. I’mma chase it. Besides, it’s obvious the prince isn’t involved with the war or the demon hives. He probably doesn’t even know that Aurelius is the main target of the demonic forces.”

“But he’s close to those who would have that intelligence,” the voice reminded. “Get back on track.”

Nix slowly grinned, “Hm… no. Okay, bye, love you!”

He shut off the device, only a small snippet of annoyed shouting coming through at the end. Nix giggled to himself and spun in the chair.

“Why, why, why,” he muttered. He stopped, looking out the window. “Why the Saint choose Aurelius to close portals? What does the Demon Queen want from inside Aurelius? Why does the princess have secrets when she’s supposed to be so useless? Hm, hm, hm…”

 

[Felicity]

JJInyxC.png

32