Chapter Three
18 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the afternoon sun cast a melancholic glow upon the village, the nameless knight stirred within the village chief's humble hut. The cries of bereaved families still pierced the air, a haunting reminder of the tragedy that had unfolded just hours ago. It was a scene that struck a dissonant chord in his heart, one that took him back to the days of destruction and warfare in his own world.

The memories of those distant battles, where villages were razed to discourage their enemies, resurfaced with a cruel intensity. They mingled with the fresh wounds of his recent failure as a knight, amplifying his inner torment. Even his body, battered and bruised, seemed to conspire against him as he contemplated leaving this place.

With a heavy heart and aching limbs, he prepared to make his exit, intending to slip away quietly through the makeshift door. However, fate had other plans. Just as he was about to escape into the shadows, a frail but determined hand reached out, preventing him from disappearing into the obscurity of his own guilt.

It was the village chief, a man whose eyes reflected the depth of his sorrow and gratitude, despite the profound language barrier that separated them. With gestures that transcended words, the chief knelt before the knight, a poignant display of empathy and respect. It was as if he sought to bridge the divide between their worlds through the universal language of compassion.

The old man, his weathered face etched with lines of wisdom and sorrow, attempted to convey his feelings. Through a series of gestures and a heartfelt gaze, he tried to communicate his profound thanks for the knight's heroic actions.

The nameless knight, his heart heavy with the weight of the lives he couldn't save, responded with a voice tinged with despair.

"I failed to save everyone," he whispered, the words carrying the weight of his anguish. Though the chief couldn't understand the knight's language, he comprehended the depths of the knight's grieving and the heavy burden he carried.

The village chief, despite the language barrier, continued to express his sentiments. He confessed that some in the village now saw the knight as an unwitting envoy of death, a harbinger of harm. The knight, feeling a painful indifference to the truth of those accusations, nodded in reluctant agreement.

With this understanding, the knight knew that his presence here was a burden the villagers could no longer bear. In somber acceptance, he silently resolved to leave, to continue his journey alone and face whatever awaited him in the unforgiving world outside.

But as he turned to exit the hut, the chief's weathered hand gently placed something in his path. It was a bundle of Japanese clothing, practical and durable. Next to it lay provisions - food to sustain him on his journey, and a small pouch of coins of this era to provide for his needs.

Though words had failed them, the exchange conveyed more than language ever could. It was a farewell imbued with unspeakable gratitude, compassion, and a quiet acknowledgment of the tragedy that had unfolded. With this unexpected gift, the nameless knight stepped out into the world once more, a silent wanderer haunted by his past and uncertain future.

The nameless knight's departure from the village left the remaining villagers perplexed and disheartened. When they inquired about his whereabouts, the village chief could only offer a simple, solemn response - "He left quietly." The villagers, unable to fathom the reason for his sudden departure, exchanged puzzled glances and heavy sighs, their hearts weighed down by a sense of loss.

As the knight ventured further from the village, the weight of his armor bore heavily on his spirit. He knew that shedding this symbolic burden was not just a matter of practicality but also a gesture of respect for the culture he now found himself in. The chief's gift of traditional clothing carried with it an unspoken message - to honor the customs and traditions of the land.

Dismantling his armor piece by piece, from the heavy plate to the intricate chainmail, he discarded the trappings of his heritage. Instead, he donned the simple and elegant garments of Heian culture, a sign of his willingness to adapt and assimilate. The act of putting on the clothes was an act of shedding his old identity and embracing the new, a testament to his respect for the people who had shown him kindness in the face of tragedy.

With the longsword securely fastened to his waist, the nameless knight resumed his journey, walking for hours along the dirt road that led him out of the misty forests. The straw footwear, known as Zori, proved to be surprisingly comfortable and practical for long journeys. 

Under the unforgiving midday sun, a vast expanse of rice fields stretched out before him, temporarily diverting his thoughts from his recent failure. The sight of people tending to their fields, each movement a harmonious dance of labor, offered a glimpse into the heart of rural culture.

As he passed by the rice fields, he encountered children engaged in playful sword fights, using sticks as makeshift weapons. One of the children, with eyes wide in awe, noticed the knight's towering height. The difference in stature between the European male and the average Japanese height became evident in this encounter.

The children, filled with curiosity and wonder, surrounded the nameless knight, peppering him with questions in their native language. Although he couldn't understand their words, he could feel their vibrant curiosity and joy at seeing someone so different from themselves.

Soon, the adults joined their children, their inquisitive gazes questioning not only his extraordinary height but also his origin. The knight, dressed in traditional hakama, realized that he appeared as a traveler and an outsider, a fact that often brought suspicion in these lands where outsiders were believed to carry bad omens.

While the adults' inquiries held a tinge of mistrust, they ultimately let him continue on his way. Their unease was palpable, but the knight understood that he needed to respect their customs and prove himself through his actions, not his words. As he resumed his journey, he carried with him the weight of his past and the uncertain future that lay ahead in this foreign land.

2