Chapter Seven: End of Shrine Arc
12 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Miko found herself standing in front of the shrine's altar, a swirl of emotions welled up within her. She glanced up at the nameless knight, her eyes reflecting confusion, anger, and concern, all jumbled together. Her desire to communicate, to bridge the gap between them, was palpable, but the language barrier remained insurmountable.

The knight, his visor hiding his expression, briefly locked eyes with Miko. His gaze conveyed a sense of urgency and determination. They both knew that they needed a plan, a way to confront the colossal threat of the Gashadokuro that loomed outside.

Miko's mind raced with ideas, but none seemed viable. The knight possessed incredible physical prowess, but even he couldn't slay the giant skeleton. Time ticked away, and as the protective barrier shattered, the sacred treasure—the divine mirror—resting on the altar shattered into countless pieces. It was a symbolic sign that the shrine's protection had crumbled.

As the mirror shattered, Miko's own power drastically weakened. She turned pale and her body grew weak, collapsing onto the floor. Her labored breathing was a testament to her struggle to maintain her consciousness. She had failed in her role as the shrine's priestess, unable to prevent the yokai from breaching the sacred space.

The nameless knight, burdened by the urgency of Miko's condition, gently held her in his arms. Miko, who had grown to trust the knight's intentions, allowed herself to be carried, her trembling hand pointing toward the altar. The thunderous footsteps of the approaching Gashadokuro filled the shrine, compelling the knight to collect Miko's belongings swiftly.

With Miko now in his arms and her possessions in hand, the knight realized that there was a secret passage beyond the altar leading to an underground labyrinth beneath the shrine. Without hesitation, he followed Miko's unspoken command.

In the nick of time, the two made their way into the underground sanctum just as a massive skeletal foot crashed through the shrine's roof. The knight acted swiftly, closing the hidden door behind them as debris rained down upon the shrine's remnants. The Gashadokuro continued its relentless assault, reducing the once-holy place to ruins before departing, satisfied with its destruction.

The next morning, Miko awoke to the sound of timber clashing together. She found herself in one of the rooms in the shrine's basement. As her memories of last night flooded back, she rushed to the surface, hoping it had all been a terrible dream.

But upon reacquainting herself with the morning sun, the grim reality of the destroyed shrine pierced her heart. She grieved for her failure, the shrine she had devoted her life to now reduced to rubble. The nameless knight, who had been diligently searching through the debris for anything salvageable, heard her mournful cries. Seeing her in such distress broke his heart, and he too sank into sorrow.

With the shrine in ruins and their future uncertain, Miko wondered what lay ahead for her. How would she carry on after this devastating loss? As for the nameless knight, it was a recurring question: how could he continue to navigate a world where everything he touched seemed to crumble into chaos?

1