Chapter Forty-One: Aftermath
190 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Some profanity ahead.

The everpour coming down from the darkened skies finally dampened the roaring flames. Luckily, most of the town survived the raging inferno. Only those nearest the outbreak had truly been affected. Homes and shops still smoldered even as all their dry fuel was exhausted. 

A wet tunic clung to Autumn’s exhausted form. In her rush, she’d forgotten to grab her raincoat from the wagon and now, without her robe’s protective warmth, she was soaked and shivering. Not that she blamed Pyre. Preserving the younger girl’s modesty was well worth a lesser discomfort on her part. 

Still, the icy night winds were like knives across her battered skin.

Ahead of her was Nethlia. The large berserker had cooled somewhat from her enraged state. And in her mild embarrassment, hadn’t looked Autumn in the eye since. She strode restlessly forth, dragging behind her a door that the party had fashioned into a stretcher for the crippled Edwyn. The Manus had initially objected, but the pain and Pyre’s instance had forced them upon the battered wood.

Behind the group, a gaggle of demonic civilians followed in their wake.

What was the plural for demons anyway? A horde? A grouping? A roaming? A gagglefuck?

The gagglefuck of young demons and demonesses had been part of the group Autumn and her crew had rescued inadvertently. Even so, they treated the lone human with wariness. Autumn didn’t blame them, but it was annoying to be treated this way after all she’d been through.

Sounds of a fierce argument grew louder as the group came into sight of the broken and charred gate. Captain Ekrus was looming aggressively over the smaller Inferni; Captain Morlech. Rain was steaming off the muscular Inferni as he shouted down the Duskguard’s captain.  

“You’re a fucking coward! We were fighting for our lives against those animals and you let them escape! And you have the gall to say it was a ‘tactical necessity’?! How. Fucking. Dare. You!”

Spittle sprayed as he practically growled the last few words. Captain Morlech’s teal skin visibly darkened.

“How dare I?! How dare you! I’m the commanding officer here and I'll be damned if I let some uppity woodsmen tell me how to do my job! If I say it was a tactical necessity, then it was!”

Captain Morlech sneered, rather stupidly in Autumn’s opinion, up at the much larger and stronger berserker whose eyes flashed with murderous intent.

Behind each captain were their subordinates. Ekrus’ sons gripped their axes tight as their own eyes flashed. Across from them, the Duskguard shifted nervously in the rain. At the pace things were going, it was looking more likely that they’d come to blows. 

It was luck then that Nethlia had arrived to cool tensions. 

“What in all the fucking hells is going on here?! Where the fuck did those raiders go?!”

Scratch that last part.

Nethlia stormed between the groups, somehow looking even angrier than she had ever before. Her face was stony as she glared at the pair.

Captain Ekrus growled. 

“The good captain here couldn’t keep his poxy men from breaking and those animals pushed through and are now making their way to their ships. And none of us are in any sort of position to ride them down. The Rain Knights might've had a chance before they got to the rougher terrain, but this fucking imbecile couldn’t even do that right!”

Captain Morlech spluttered in anger.

“Now you look here. If you incompetents had’ve killed the beasts they were running about with, I could have crushed those Human scum beneath my Rain Knight’s hooves. But, seeing as you did not, it was too much of a risk and I deemed it detrimental to our goals to risk the lives of my knights. Lest you have forgotten, then I’ll kindly remind you. We have a ‘quest’ to take care of. Don’t you mercenary types like your ‘adventures’?”

It was now Nethlia's turn to growl.

“Alright! Shut the fuck up, both of you! We have wounded to take care of and fires to put out. Captain Arsit, can you spare a cleric to heal my party while we go over things? The sooner everyone’s back on their feet, the better.”

Captain Arsit nodded to one of the clerics in his unit and they made their way over. 

Like the rest of her troupe, she was a Lepus. She appeared to be in her mid-twenties, or at least the Lepus’ equivalent. Long black bunny ears curved back against her head of braided hair. For armor she wore a set of gold-painted heavy-plate of bone and iron over white and gold silk flowing robes. A gilded sword lay on her hips and a kite shield girded her tall back. 

The cleric crouched down beside the pallid Edwun. Gently, her hands laid down upon their wounds and she uttered a prayer. 

“Oh Netix, Goddess of honor, hear your righteous servant. I beseech you to mend this wounded one who protected all things honorable. Heal them so that they may rise to honor you with noble combat and glory!”

A bright light emerged beneath her calloused hands, and Edwyn’s tense face smoothed. Color returned slightly to their cheeks. With a sigh of relief, they slumped into a restful slumber as the adrenaline faded.

The young cleric sat back with sweat dotting her brow.

“Does anyone else need healing? I think I can do one more.”

Autumn gestured over to Nelva. While they had closed her wounds with sparing drops of healing potion, the Chevalier’s wound could reopen at any time. Nelva’s warm chocolate skin had faded with blood-loss. 

Once more the cleric laid her hands open a wound and chanted a soft prayer. And as the bright light faded, Nelva offered a murmur of thanks to both the cleric and the goddess. Rocking back on her heels with sweat coated her forehead, the cleric offered Autumn an apologetic look.

“Sorry, but I’m all out. I can’t risk channeling anymore of my mistress’ power. I have basic medical supplies and herbs if you need them. Something for the pain?”

Autumn shook her head, which was a mistake, as it just made her dizzy.

“Thanks, but I’ll be fine. I’ve an alchemist on my team, she’ll take care of it.” 

Suddenly a shouted exclamation broke the night. 

Glancing over, Autumn saw that one of the Inferni they had rescued was now standing beside the newly arrived militia. The motley-looking group was armed with a variety of weapons, from the usual spears and halberds to hammers, clubs, sickles, and even pitchforks. Right now, all their eyes had turned towards Autumn as the demon pointed her way.

“That’s her! The human, she was with the raiders! I overheard her conspiring with them! She was speaking in their guttural language!”

A chill ran down her spine.

Captain Morlech puffed up with righteous indignation.

“I knew it! You adventurers planned this whole fiasco. Riding in here like heroes just to take the credit from the Duskguard, but it was all a play; a staged drama. But, you didn’t fool me!”

In a rage, Ekrus grabbed the blustering captain by his lapels and hoisted him high. 

“Shut your fucking mouth before I smash your teeth down it!!!”

The Duskguard leveled their spears against the sudden violence and in response, adventurer weapons cleared their scabbards. A tense standoff broke out as the side arrayed themselves. 

“Put me down you…you…great big oaf!!”

Captain Morlech’s feet kicked uselessly at the ground as he dangled.

From where Autumn sat, she found herself surrounded by a protective wall of adventurers. Not just her own team either, even the rather stoic Red Scorpions clustered around her, bearing their poisoned weaponry. And at her side, Pyre clutched one of her last vials of Alchemist’s fire in a tight grip.

Heartbeats thundered in Autumn’s ears.

Slowly and calmly, Captain Arsit stepped out from the crowd into the center. The Lepus man stood between the two groups with his arms outstretched. A few of his knights clustered around him, glaring menacingly at everyone. 

“How about we all calm down? I’m sure there is a reasonable explanation for all this.”  

“She’s a Human. What’s there to explain?!” 

The angry shout came from within the cluster of armed citizenry. A rising clamor of angry agreement followed it. Autumn wondered if perhaps she should have followed Witch Augus’ advice and fled when the pitchforks and torches came out. 

Nethlia growled like a wild dog as she stood protectively in front of Autumn. 

“She is an adventurer and a member of my team. If it wasn’t for us, this town would’ve burned to the fucking ground! So, if you want to get to her, you’ll have to go through me. And I’m done playing nice.”

Nethlia’s provocation did little to dissuade them. As they outnumbered the adventurers, their confidence swelled despite the vast gulf in quality of arms, armor, and experience. Just as the mob's fervor reached a boiling point, a sharp whistle cut through the air. 

Captain Arsit removed his fingers from his mouth and gave everyone an irate glare. 

“I thought I said to calm the fuck down. That includes you, Captain Nethlia. While I appreciate your protectiveness of your team, anger will not help matters. And Captain Ekrus, put Captain Morlech down. All his shouting is giving me a helluva headache.”

He calmly turned towards Autumn. 

“Now, Witch Autumn, could you please tell us your side of the story?”

Autumn’s heart pounded beneath the furious weight of the stares. Sweat dripped down her back in a tide. And as she licked her cracked, swollen lips she tasted iron. Whose blood it was she didn’t know. 

With a painful jaw, she slowly spoke. 

“I wasn’t ‘conspiring’ with anyone. If you couldn’t tell from my face, they attacked me as well. I almost died. As for my ‘speaking’ with them? I have a spell that lets me understand languages. It’s the reason I can even speak Infernal at all. That’s it. No grand conspiracy.”

Blood welled up in Autumn’s mouth as a cut inside her cheek bled. Without care of her image, she spat out the blood off to the side. Her jaw pulsed with agony just from the brief conversation.

Captain Morlech scoffed.

“Are we supposed to believe that some backwater witch would know such a powerful spell? Sheer lunacy! Not even the Scribe’s Guild has access to such, and if they do, they keep it under strict supervision. If you’re going to make up lies, human, make them more believable.”

Captain Arsit turned on the overweight captain.

“Did I say you could talk? No? The adults are talking now. So shut up or I’ll have Captain Ekrus shut you up. ”

The Lepus captain gave Autumn an apologetic look. 

“Not that I disbelieve you Witch Autumn, but is there any way you can prove it?”

“If what you’re asking is if I can cast it on anyone else, then the answer is no. However, I can speak languages I’ve not studied before like Infernal or Lepian? I don’t even know if that’s the right name for it, but I can speak it. Although, that’d just prove I’m a polyglot.”

Halfway through her sentence, she switched over to the Lepus’ language to prove it. 

Captain Arsit just gave her a humorous smile. 

“While it is called Lepian, you’re speaking in a Blonhofnian dialect.” He turned towards the Umbra elves. “Captain Xiltuil, you speak Umbral, right? Care to say a few words to our friend here? I very much doubt a Human would’ve had much opportunity to learn the intricacies of such a language.”

Captain Xiltuil shrugged lightly before speaking to Autumn. 

“If you can understand me, raise your left hand up with your palm down.”

Her arm hurt a little alongside her pride, but she complied. 

Autumn vowed in her heart to master this strange power of hers. Already it had landed her in trouble, although it wasn’t her fault. One day she’d end up speaking languages that mortal ears couldn’t or shouldn’t hear. And also, she didn’t want to be kidnapped by the scribes and spend the rest of her days translating ancient texts.

Seemingly mollified somewhat, the crowd dispersed under the watchful eyes of the adventurers. They threw unkind looks Autumn’s way as they left.

Not that she cared.

All she wanted right now was to get out of her wet clothes and into a pile of warm furs and blankets. And on a hill outside the town, that’s what she did. Inside her tent, she cast aside her wet clothes for future Autumn to take care of and crawled naked into her soft bedding. However, before she could retreat into her dreams, a soft calling came from her tent entrance. Pyre was kneeling just outside Autumn’s tent in the rain, still wearing Autumn’s robes. Half a glowing vial of healing potion was held in her hand alongside her medical bag. 

“Autumn? Can I come in? I’ve got some healing potion and your robes. Sorry if I got them dirty.”

Autumn winced as she raised herself up to look at Pyre, her furs held against her naked and bruised skin. 

“Yes please, I could really use that right now.”

Pyre crawled into the tent to squeeze in behind Autumn. With careful dabs of a gauze cloth soaked in a healing potion, Autumn’s wounds began the long process of healing. The scent of strawberry medicine filled up the tent. When Autumn had stopped hissing and flinching at the soft touches, Pyre gave the rest of the potion over for her to drink.

It tasted like strawberries.

“Do all healing potions taste like this?” 

Pyre blushed.

“No. Usually, they taste rather bland. This is a personal recipe. I was able to improve the taste without jeopardizing the effects.”

Autumn had no idea how difficult that was, but it sounded impressive. 

“Hey, Autumn? Can I ask a favor?”

“Pyre, you saved my life. You can ask anything you want.”

Pyre hesitated a moment, her bright flaming eyes quivered a moment. 

“Can I…Can I sleep here, with you? I don’t want to be alone.”

Autumn saw the roiling fear even without her magical sight. 

“Sure.” 

The pair laid down next to one another underneath the warmth of furs and comforted by the other’s heat. Above them, the leather canvas beat with the steady tune of rain. 

“Autumn?”

“Yeah?”

“I want to go home.”

“Me too Pyre. Me too.”

 

Bit of a longer chapter, but I wanted to finish this off and not continue into half another chapter.

 

15