Chapter 48 – Peaceful Breakfast
182 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, breakfast was marked by the awkwardness that arose due to our four guests. Normally, all the women in the palace have breakfast, lunch, and dinner together, but this hasn't happened since the dinner the night before.

Yesterday, the strange atmosphere wasn't evident because Nala has a personality that draws all the focus to her, like a walking magnet. But this morning, there was nothing to prevent the lack of familiarity from turning breakfast into a kind of blind date.

None of the maids were eating with us because of the guests. They continued to wear masks, which means they weren't comfortable enough to take off the masks in front of the guests. So, I think they opted to eat in the kitchen.

That left only Mom, Abigail, and me to sit at the table with the four guests, who, by the way, seemed much more nervous and tense than yesterday. However, they also appeared more rested. This means they had a good night's sleep.

Even with the elephant in the room, breakfast passed quietly and in silence, as usual. Mom and Abigail ate normally, and the guests also enjoyed the food. Everyone had a voracious appetite, but the three women ate much less than Mom or Abigail.

Normally, I would be with one of the girls at breakfast time, as Mom and Abigail like to feel comfortable when eating. But today, Mom had to give up a bit of comfort to put me on her lap.

Mom gives me milk only once a day, but that single dose is enough to keep me satisfied for the rest of the day. This makes me wonder what would happen if I accidentally took two doses a day...

But there must be a reason why Mom doesn't do that, so it's best not to risk it. After all, we can't forget that Mom, besides being a dragon, is also very strong, which must greatly affect the milk she produces.

By the way, I still find it quite strange how Mom can lactate... She's a dragon; she shouldn't be able to do that. Does her human form alter the entire physiology of her body? But if so, how does she manage to accommodate so much food in her stomach?

Whatever it is, the milk is quite strong and keeps me satisfied for a whole day. However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to eat other things, especially when there's a beautiful feast in front of me.

Fortunately, the girls always give me something to eat while they are also eating. Mom and Abigail do the same. I think they all find me cute while I'm making a dramatic effort to chew the food they give me.

Seriously, lack of motor coordination is a pain, but at least the food here is very tasty, especially the sweets and meats.

"So, girls, did you rest well? I hope you feel comfortable in your rooms."

Once everyone finished eating, it was Mom's turn to finally stop ignoring the elephant in the room. The question went straight to Nala's source of concern, offering comfort to the girls. Moreover, Mom seemed pleased to be able to offer some comfort to them...

Which I still find a bit risky. They may not be criminals in body and soul, but they are criminals due to unpredictable circumstances. Despite seemingly being contained, you can't know when this Frenesi will attack mercilessly.

"Yes, we are all well accommodated, Lady Inessa. We rested comfortably, I'm sure, Lady Inessa, and I'm sure last night was the best night's sleep we've had in weeks. But I don't know what to say about the rooms since I don't remember anything except waking up this morning in an unfamiliar place. I'm sorry..."

"Don't apologize, it was an inconvenient question on my part. But it's good to hear that you rested well, even if you just fainted and didn't choose to sleep in your rooms."

The one who answered for the three women and the man was the green-haired woman. She seems to be the oldest but also the most sensible and sociable among the three.

I say this because while she is trying to make a good impression, the redhead is more concerned about the state of the man, who at this moment is still eating his food slowly without paying attention to anything or anyone.

At least we know he can do more than just stand still staring at the ground like a zombie. But the situation gets even stranger if I wonder what kinds of tasks he can do normally...

On the other hand, the black-haired woman is just looking suspiciously at me, who is in Abigail's lap. She seems to have some special interest in me, but I have no idea, and she hasn't said anything yet.

"I apologize, Lady Inessa, I didn't mean to imply that the accommodations were bad or anything. In fact, apparently, they are great, but we just didn't have time to observe."

"Alright, alright... I hope you can feel comfortable while you're here. The girls can be a bit introverted and elusive, but they're just not used to strangers. So, be patient with them."

Yes... It's good that they know not to bother or intimidate the girls. Thanks, Mom. I would hate to see the maids being intimidated...

"Inessa... I think it's better to appoint one of the girls to attend to your guests. It would be inconvenient for both the girls and our guests to try to interact with each other every time they have a doubt."

"Great idea, Abigail. I believe Marien will adapt better to the task."

"Hendrina wouldn't be the best choice, Inessa?"

"Yes, she would. But unfortunately, Lady Nala ended up making her a bit 'apprehensive.' I don't think she will interact with the guests so well."

"Hum... It was to be expected; Lady Nala always takes her jokes a bit too far."

"Indeed... But anyway, girls, yesterday we talked to your... Statera... But unfortunately, he refused to share his version of the story. He just kept repeating 'I don't know' or 'I don't remember.' Which my friend here, Lady Abigail, found quite repulsive, you know?"

Mom spoke to the women, but she was looking directly at the man, observing every movement and expression he made. I think it wasn't just Abigail who found the man's behavior uncomfortable.

"I... I don't know what to say, Lady Inessa. I apologize, but since Cristhine cut the bond with him, Gregory ended up in this state. We don't know, but we suspect that due to very high emotional stress, he ended up developing the Curse of Deep Shadows."

Felicia, the green-haired woman, hurried to explain the situation, trying not to leave a bad impression on the hostess. And now that she explained, I understand a bit the man's behavior. He seems to have isolated himself in his mind because of the separation.

But it would be good to know more about what the Curse of Deep Shadows is. Is it some kind of dark magic or curse? Or is it just the fancy name this world gives to something like a psychological illness?

Can dragons suffer from mental and psychological illnesses like PTSD or depression? Or was it just one of the consequences of cutting a bond? Is cutting a bond really that dangerous?

"Hmmm... I understand. I don't blame him; a bond should be something lasting, for a lifetime. Unfortunately, most of us are not that lucky, whether by choice or not, we always lose someone. What's left is to wither with reality or try to overcome the sadness with the promise of a better tomorrow."

"I apologize for the lack of answers, Lady Inessa. Believe me, we tried our best to get some answers before he fell into this state, but the answers were not enlightening. He was reluctant to even touch the subject, but in the end, that's what left him in this state."

So, he really isolated himself because he was trying to hide something? That's really suspicious.

"And still, you two think that I had fault in anything for him to end up like this..."

Even without being mentioned in the conversation, Cristhine, the black-haired woman, spoke. With a very calm but strangely discontented tone. It's as if she's trying to continue an unfinished conversation.

"Cris, not now... We're in front of Lady Inessa, the protector."

"Exactly for that, Feli, Lady Inessa can have a more sober judgment on the matter. I don't want to keep thinking that I made him end up in this state."

"Don't cause confusion now, Cris, we've already discussed the matter. We've already settled this."

"I made my choice and suffered as much or even more than him because of it. I endured the consequences, but he didn't even have the courage to face his own. He didn't even have the courage to answer our questions. The questions that would clarify everything..."

So, he's really trying to hide something... But what is he trying to hide, and why? And what exactly is the connection between this secret and everything that happened in that incident?

Weren't they supposed to be life partners? Shouldn't they be honest and trust each other?

"CRISTHINE..."

 

I hope you can help me correct any spelling errors in the chapters.

 

Embark on This Epic Journey! Support us on Patreon!

Dear readers and adventurers of the imagination,

We're thrilled to invite you to become our patrons on Patreon and be part of the epic journey we're crafting. This is more than just a story; it's a saga filled with magic, mysteries, and captivating characters that we can't wait to share with you. By becoming a patron, you not only sustain this unique narrative but also gain access to exclusive benefits and special content.

Why Support?

  1. Exclusive Content: As a patron, you'll get early access to unreleased chapters, bonus material, and behind-the-scenes details not shared anywhere else.

  2. Interaction with Creators: Join live Q&A sessions where you can interact directly with the story's creators, ask questions about the plot, and contribute to its development.

  3. Behind-the-Scenes and Updates: Stay in the loop of the creative process! We'll share regular updates, exclusive insights, and even early drafts, letting you see how the story comes to life.

  4. Exclusive Community Group: Join an exclusive community of patrons where you can discuss the plot, share theories, and connect with other enthusiasts of this unique story.

How to Become a Patron:

  1. Visit our Patreon: [P... .com/UndeadNazar]
  2. Choose a Support Level: Opt for the level that best fits your desire to contribute and receive exclusive benefits.
  3. Enjoy the Rewards: Once you become a patron, you'll have instant access to exclusive benefits and become an integral part of this incredible journey.

We appreciate in advance your consideration to support our creation. With your contribution, we'll not only continue telling this story but also expand it to reach new horizons of creativity. Join us and be part of this extraordinary tale!

With gratitude,

Undead Nazar, your Lazy Writer

11