Chapter 6: Snake dance
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aachman came back home after experiencing the unspeakable ordeal. He decided to stay low for a few days.

When he returned home in the evening, he saw a scene that made him remember why he went to the village.

Kari, Bhumi and Aabha were sitting on the ground and eating their dinner harmoniously. Aachman was not a small-minded person. He did not hold a grudge against them for not waiting for him. As for why they eat dinner at sunset? There was no light source, so mostly in ancient India, people had dinner in the evening before the sunset.

On first observation, everything looked picture-perfect, but why was Aachman's elder brother peeking furtively at his mother and father? Afterwards, why did his elder brother's pupil shiver and abruptly turn his gaze back to the ground? This cycle repeats a few more times.

There was no need to think deeply to find the culprit. Mom was sitting on the father's lap and feeding the father. Poor elder brother witnessed this scene of public affection display. He would probably suffer from PTSD.

Aachman's mother, Bhumi, always got whatever she wanted and had the final say in all household decisions. Aachman wondered why his macho father allowed it, but seeing this scene, he eats out of her hand, probably metaphorically too.

Aachman watched this for a few moments. He went through the gamut of emotions. He was a single dog in both of his lives, although he was only five years old in this life.

He decided to crash the party. It was like they were living in their own world. This scene was unbearable and need to be stopped.

"Ma, I am home," Aachman shouted energetically as he entered the house.

"What happened to your clothes? Why are you dirty?"

"Hmm, I rolled on the ground," Aachman said in a flustered voice.

He stared at the face of his father and mother carefully. The father was unconcerned, and the mother was worried and intended to unearth the real reason for Aachman's messy appearance.

Aachman quickly said, "I was playing with the village chief's granddaughter"

"Oh, you befriended the young lady. " The father was happy, but Aachman was not so. He was actively trying not to recall what occurred.

"Clean yourself. There is your share of food. " She pointed at the food, and she went back to feed her husband.

Aachman panicked and went closer to his mom.

"Mom, I want food too."

"Aaah"

He opened his mouth wide while trying to act cute and innocent. The atmosphere abruptly changed from a lovely middle-aged romance to a motherly sentiment scene.

Bhumi looked tenderly at Aachman "Aacha, come here."

She hugged him, ignored his dirty appearance and placed him on her lap. She started feeding Aachman. "It is delicious."

She patted his head lovingly. Aachman shot a smug look towards his father.

"Aabha, you come too. Mom's food is extra tasty when she feeds you.

 

Aabha was also excited and joined in a touching scene of a mother and sons expressing their affection through food.

"Mom, please tell me the story of the crow. " Aabha wanted to hear the story. Mom started reciting the story, and Aachman occasionally shot a smug look at his father, who started eating dinner by himself.

Kari had a dark look that made him look like a jilted lover. Aachman seriously wondered why he had such a sad face.

Kari took his revenge during sleep time. He booted Aacha and Aabha to the veranda to sleep. He even shut the door and window.

"Aacha, do you know what mother and father are doing in a closed room?"

"Snake dance!"

"What?"

"Don't you remember last year in the village a pair of snakes were writhing and entwining each other?"

"Do you think that was what mom and dad were doing?"

"Yes, that is what adults do."

Aabha was curious about how mom and dad performed a snake dance, so he got up and was moving toward the window.

"Where are you going?"

"I am going to take a peek."

"Elder bro, don't do that. You may get trauma after witnessing it."

"Hey, I watched the snakes but was not afraid of them. Why will I be afraid of this now?"

All sounds abruptly ceased from the inside of the house. It seems like the mother and father's night was short but sweet.

"I think mom and dad are sleeping, probably. If it rains tomorrow, we have to work hard in the field. Let's go to sleep."

Aabha nodded, and the brothers went back to sleep accompanied by moonlight and mosquitoes.

2