Chapter 1 – Nael Walker
450 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If one were to ask any person on Earth what the best game was–they'd almost always get the same answer. No other game could ever hope to match the ingenuity, creativity, and love Hylos Productions–the creators of Antoria Online–put into their game. 

At first glance, Antoria Online was a simple MMORPG. At least, that's how it was marketed during its announcement. Players expected it to be another dime-a-dozen game that'd receive its small share of the spotlight for a few weeks before eventually fading into obscurity. 

That was how most games were in the twenty-third century, at least. Every now and then, a hidden gem would be spoken of in forums and in various media, but then that, too, would slowly disappear until only its most dedicated players remained. 

The same couldn't be said about Antoria Online. There was one thing, and one thing only that the game asked its players to do, and that was to have fun. It boasted the capability to handle any and every playstyle possible, ranging from the casual to even the most dedicated playstyles. 

What shocked the world when Antoria Online was first announced wasn't the idea of a game that allowed any sort of playstyle to work–but rather the fact that Hylos Productions had apparently created an entirely new console dedicated to playing the game. 

Gaming pods, they were called. Modeled after the kinds of beds often found in the phase trains, they were designed to be able to receive every single input its user made and move their characters accordingly. The simple-sounding MMORPG had shifted to become a VRMMORPG overnight, driving the internet crazy. 

And Antoria Online truly adhered to its promises. Every method of playing was possible–no matter what it was. Players were shocked by how closely the game could replicate real life, only with gaming elements added to it. Since then, the game has constantly been covered in all forms of media, ranging from forums to videos–to even news outlets. It seemed like the entire world was talking. about Antoria Online. 

On a certain day, Nael Walker–a recently enrolled college student, had just gone back from the university. 

It was the start of summer break. Four months of uninterrupted rest, and he was planning on spending at least half of it on Antoria Online. He simply couldn't resist anymore, he had to get it.

Nael was a pretty hardcore gamer, even by gamer standards. Before he entered college, he was known for being one of the best youth players in Esports. He didn't just compete in shooters or fighting games, he competed in all of them. 

His talent extended far beyond simply gaming–he felt that it was his calling. Every movement, every input, he felt was planned in advance. His brain worked in overdrive to keep himself working. 

Nael's efforts paid off. By seventeen, he had won over a dozen tournaments, split between popular genres of competitive games. He became known as the global prodigy–and his rise to fame came with heaps upon heaps of cash. 

Satisfied that he was quite literally on the top of the gaming world, Nael had enough. On his eighteenth birthday, he announced his indefinite departure from competitive gaming, saying he had to focus on his studies. He still streamed to a wide audience every other week, but his withdrawal from participating in Esports was permanent. 

For the next year, Nael focused on his studies, and he eventually landed himself a scholarship at Hylos Academy–the very Academy that had been built by the creators of Antoria Online. 

Life was going good. Nael did not worry for himself. 

Still, the unmistakable increase in the mention of Antoria Online was surprising. Nael thought it initially a game he didn't want to waste time on, but his opinions gradually changed. Before he knew it, his friends and even his sister were playing it. 

The money Nael had raised during his gaming career was enough to keep him and his sister wealthy for their entire lives, so he had no qualms about her treating herself every now and then if she had his permission. 

You have to play it, Nael! Trust me, it's the best game! Nael often heard those words. 

And so he gave in. With it being summer vacation, Nael had nothing else to do. The moment school let them out, he rushed home immediately and ordered online the newest version of the Gaming Pod available, along with everything required to run Antoria Online. 

Today was the day that it would be delivered. His sister, Stephanie, had texted him to notify him of the pod's arrival that morning. 

His eagerness took over him, and Nael practically dashed home, ignoring the Phase Train. 

"Where is it?!" Nael shouted as he burst open the door. "The pod, it's arrived, right?"

Stephanie was sitting on the couch. The blonde petite girl was munching on some chips, phone in hand. Without even looking up from her device, she replied. "Oh, hey, brother. Yeah, it's here. I had the delivery guys move it to the room we had constructed a few weeks ago."

"Great, thanks." He nodded. 

Leaving his sister there, Nael walked past the lavish dining room they had, past the maids who were cleaning up the cat's droppings, and up the stairs. Upon reaching the second floor, he made a left and walked directly towards the room at the far end of the hall. 

He pushed the door open, revealing a vast, open room decorated modestly. Aside from the soft carpet that lined the floor and the lights that had been changed to purple, the room was rather humble, unlike the rest of the house.

There were two Gaming Pods assembled in the middle of the room. The one closest to the entrance was painted in a vibrant pink color, and the rim beside the door had letters that spelled out Stephanie's name. 

The farther pod was pure white, devoid of any designs. The black decals that lined the edges of the pod were part of the device, allowing it to be somewhat more colorful than it would be if it was just pure white. The contrast did wonders for Nael's eyes.

To the side of the Pod, there was a small, red button–which was obviously the one used to open it. Nael pushed the button slightly, and the Pod began activating in response. 

The inside of the Pod glowed a bright blue light for a split second, before disappearing. The top half of the Pod slid open, pulling itself upwards. 

Its inside was rather spacious. The chair itself could easily fit two Naels and even allow for both of them to have sufficient leg room to stretch.

Crawling inside, Nael sat down on the chair. The Pod activated automatically, recognizing the user's entry. The top half began to descend, locking Nael in would-be darkness. 

That was until the interior began glowing in a subtle blue light. A feminine voice echoed throughout the Pod, "Please put on the headset, and position yourself comfortably."

Doing as he was told, Nael reached over to the side drawer located beside his armrest, where a headset was placed. It was similar in appearance to that of a VR headset, in the sense that it covered his eyes. 

Then, Nael placed the headset over him and then began lying down the same way he would when he went to sleep.

Once he had sat down, he felt his consciousness begin to disappear as a faint voice began to call out to him.

A few seconds later, he awoke. Except this time, he wasn't in the Pod anymore. 

Nael looked around. He was now inside a seemingly empty white space. 

"Whoa… this feels… so real."

Just for fun, Nael began jumping repeatedly. His feet seemed to enjoy the sensation of repeatedly hitting the ground. He did the same for his arms and began swinging them around. To a spectator, Nael would look like a madman, with how he was flailing his limbs. 

"Haha, I see that you are eager to experience the world, youngling."

An aged, strained voice resounded throughout the space. Before Nael knew it, an old man, dressed in colorful robes was standing in front of him. The old man repeatedly stroked his beard, watching Nael make a fool of himself with an amused expression.

"Who are you?" Nael asked.

The old man bowed in response. "Why, I am merely an old man who watches. My name is Nazear. I observe the many players who play this game."

"And you, little youngling," He continued,  "I can tell will soon be one of those players."

Nazear snapped his fingers, and a large screen appeared above him. Its content shifted between the various areas that seemed to be in Antoria.

Biomes that ranged from dry, arid deserts, to the frigid northern mountains, to the populated cities and countries–Antoria truly had everything. The view shifted to the busy streets of its countries, showing the daily life of the Antorians. Markets thrived, the economy flourished, and most of all, everything seemed true to life.

"This is the world of Antoria, a fully player-controlled world. Everything you do here has an effect on its inhabitants, no matter how little. Your choices determine how you choose to play."

"In Antoria, there is but one rule. Have fun. We encourage all players to play however they want, for in this game, every playstyle is possible."

"Now then, before I send you to customize your avatar, do you have any questions?"

Nael thought of it for a few seconds, eventually coming up with a question. "How real is this game?"

"Antoria Online seeks to replicate the world to the closest detail possible. As such, everything you feel here is how you would feel it if it were to happen to you in the real world. Does that answer your question, youngling?"

Nael nodded. "Yep, should be it."

"Then, if there's nothing else, I will be leaving you to allow you to customize the avatar you will be using in Antoria. Farewell, youngling. I hope you enjoy this other world."

With that, Nazear began to disappear, until he was eventually gone, leaving Nael alone in the space.

11