Chapter 13 – Practice Range
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I never did ask," Nael said as he sat down opposite Sylvia. "Hasn't Indigo been slowly drifting towards holding virtual shows? Do they plan to have you perform in Antoria?"

Antoria Online's rising increase in popularity since its release a year ago hadn't just done wonders for the gaming industry. Companies took the chance to capitalize on the many opportunities provided by the game in order to expand their product. Indigo was one of those–they had just recently announced their intentions to hold virtual shows in Antoria's most popular cities. 

The good news was that the approach of various companies gave the chance for Antorians to experience luxuries from a different world. Products that shouldn't have been invented in the medieval age–the era Antoria was currently in–had been introduced to the general populace.

"Ah, yes! I've actually been chosen to model in their first concert. They're planning on holding it in Ssogdasyl a few weeks after the Autumn Festival. Tell you what, if you decide to come over, I can guarantee you a seat close to the runway."

"I might just take you up on that offer, actually." Nael nodded. "I've never been to one of your shows before."

"Right? It'll be a good opportunity for you to see me in action."

I wonder how they managed to convince the Antorians to hold a show. Based on the few occasions I've gotten to talk to them, they don't seem to hold a favorable opinion toward Outworlders. But it's not like they seem to have a prejudice against them, either.

"Care to tell me anything else happening at the top?" Nael asked. "Are you involved in anything big?"

"Naturally." Sylvia donned a smug smile. "I can't reveal much else, but aside from the show, Ssogdasyl is going to start hunting for Diallos, a mythical beast that's been rampaging across the continent. They've been recruiting players from all around to help prepare for the subjugation."

Sylvia's clearly well-informed. She did say she was a secretary for a high-ranking guild and probably isn't a stranger to seeing the schemes the higher-ups are concocting. I wonder, though, how high is she on the scale, really?

Sylvia had always been especially loose-tongued whenever she was with Nael and Stephanie. He never knew why–she just always was. 

Could this be an opportunity to gain some extra cash, I wonder? If there's a war happening, there's bound to be issues with logistics and supplies. 

"You think the people holding this hunt would be interested I'm buying some artifacts?" He asked. 

"Oh, absolutely! Do you know how valuable artifacts are in regards to strengthening a person? Why, do you have a few in stock that you don't need?"

Perfect. If all goes well, I could probably sell a good amount of artifacts by the time the hunt goes around.

"Something like that. When's this hunt happening?"

"If I remember correctly," Sylvia began thinking. "It should begin a month or so after the Autumn Festival. Better hurry, Nael! If you're lucky, the guilds might buy from you in bulk."

"They wouldn't buy from someone they don't trust, though. Say, could you do me a favor?" 

"You don't even need to ask! I'll introduce you to a few purchasing managers who're in charge of buying supplies for the hunt."

"Thanks, Sylvie. I'll pay you back once I've made a sum."

"No, don't worry about it! I don't mind if it means I can help you. After all, you've already done a lot for me in the past."

Before Sylvia became a model, she used to live with Nael and Stephanie. It was right about the peak of his career when he was constantly winning every tournament he competed in. Back then, Nael could easily pay for her expenses–he still could today, though. 

Nael made sure not to pressure Sylvia into getting a job immediately, often discussing with her the offers she received. It was only a few years after she had begun to earn money that she decided to rent her own home and move out. 

For Sylvia, it was a favor that could never be paid. 

***

Nael and Sylvia continued talking well into the afternoon. They had lunch at the very same cafe, and once that was done, they decided to bid farewell. 

"Thanks for today, Nael. I had a wonderful time!" 

"Yeah, me too. Remember not to push yourself. Bye."

As Nael watched Sylvia leave, he brought his phone out to check the time. 

It's only three in the afternoon. Still pretty early. I wonder if there's a shooting range nearby. 

Nael never thought he would be getting himself involved in firearms throughout his life, but thanks to Antoria Online, he did. 

He was eventually going to learn how to use the revolver he found in the workshop, so what better way was there to practice his marksmanship than to shoot some bullets in the firing range?

Thankfully, Nael managed to find one nearby. It wasn't going to close anytime soon, so he had ample time to get a feel for the guns. 

Once he entered the building, he approached the receptionist, a burly man with a mustache. The man, surprised to see someone like Nael in the range, greeted him. 

"Hey there, kiddo. What's a fellow like you doing in a place like this?"

Look, I'm aware I don't look as muscular as other guys. No need to shove it in my face, grandpa. 

"Do you guys have anything resembling a revolver? Perhaps something like the Peacemaker?"

The shopkeeper was surprised. "Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. A revolver that was popular in the ol' West, more than half a millennium ago. Sure, I got one in the back."

Yeah, I made sure to do my research. The closest the revolver from the blueprint looked like was some kind of revolver called the Peacemaker. 

A few seconds later, the shopkeeper came back with a small wooden case in his hands. He laid the case out on the table and gently opened it to reveal the revolver. 

Nael wasn't an expert on guns by any means, but even he could tell how well-maintained the revolver was. There were hardly any hints of wear and tear on the handle, almost no scratches, and not a single sign of aging. 

"The… barrel's rather long, isn't it?"

"Damn right, it is. My father told me this one right here's a modified version of the original Colt .45. The barrel supposedly has sum' in it that helps prevent the recoil from being too harsh. Even a baby can handle it. Go on, check it out."

This was Nael's first time holding a gun, and it showed in his hand movements. More than a few times his fingers had unconsciously gone over the trigger. 

Still, he had watched a few movies and played a few games set in the Wild West era. He merely needed to mimic the way their fingers moved–and if their historical accuracy could be believed–would be more than enough for him to wield it. 

Nael ran his hands across the gun, making sure he had a perfect feel for its dimensions. His left hand slid over the cylinder and spun it open. It came out, showing the cylindrical chamber completely devoid of bullets. 

"Could I take this thing for practice?"

"Sure, kid, if you can pay the maintenance costs. It's an old gun, so I can't have you breaking it." 

"That's fine. Take my card and scan it." 

The shopkeeper took Nael's credit card from his hands and slid it against the machine beside the register. He slid it downwards, and the card reader glowed green in response. 

With how rich Nael was, he could afford to spend lavishly every once in a while. If his spending meant he would receive joy from it, there wasn't any reason not to. 

"Alright, then. Go on and bring the case with you through the door to your right. Set it down near the table, and I'll come back with some bullets." 

2