Chapter 35: The Destined Man
585 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ziusudra—

Luo Wei was a little surprised by this title.

You see, this was the name of a survivor from the distant past, one of the few remaining survivors of the world-ending Great Flood in Mesopotamian mythology

It is also the name of a person who has lived in the deep land and has immortality.

In Luo Wei's words, in the Epic of Gilgamesh that is known and recorded by later generations, it was he who informed the aging Gilgamesh about the existence of the elixir of immortality, setting him on the path to seek immortality.

But for Ziusudra, this was a natural encounter.

After all, he had been waiting for him to come out all along.

Just like Gilgamesh, this secluded hermit who survived the great prehistoric flood that ended civilization and unexpectedly gained the ability to live forever also possesses a very special 'eye.'

He could see through the 'threads' of a person's existence and destiny.

These lines determined a person's origins and also their endpoint; although the end has always been inevitable, but the end point is constantly changing and not fixed.

In simple terms, the endpoint of destiny is the life-threatening setbacks that life will encounter.

If crossed, the line will be extended.

"But you don't have that line."

A voice, old and hoarse, rang out, mixed in with the occasional gust of wind-blown dust on the street, reaching Luo Wei's ears.
"There is no line of fate on you."

"A person like you, I have never seen," the old man continued, "but the gods in the heavens have said — although I haven't seen them in person, those without a destiny existed in the great flood that I experienced in the past."

"He was the one who created the great ship, Preserver of Life; the fire-bringer for human civilization, the savior in times of disaster."

"His name was 'Ut-napishtim'. The world-destroying flood was named after him."

"And now...I have seen, the 'destiny' of annihilation has once again come to everyone except you."

"So I believe that you are a very important person who will help this land survive an unprecedented disaster in the future." said the old man, dressed in tattered clothes, his frail figure standing on the street corner, looking at Luo Wei in front of him.

Luo Wei was silent and thinking.

He knew that he had no destiny line, maybe because he was a transmigrated person, but there were some issues that could not be stated clearly.

So he just turned around and asked: "What exactly is this disaster?"

"I don't know." Ziusudra shook his head: "Maybe it's the punishment that the gods have sent down—the strongest magical beast and the strongest divine beast, or maybe it's an even greater catastrophe...of course, the probability is not high."

The simultaneous appearance of the strongest demonic beast 'Humbaba' and the strongest divine beast, Bull of heaven 'Gugalanna' was already the ultimate means that the gods could use at the moment..

Although it couldn't compare to the Great Flood in the past, it was enough to destroy the surface of the Mesopotamian plain, causing another era of civilization.

As for something even greater... that would probably require the gods to break through the limitations of the time and appear once more in the present world.

Or perhaps the return of the ancient primordial gods.

The probability was indeed very slim.

"So, you want to protect me?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Yes," Ziusudra's old, hoarse voice replied without hesitation.
"I am a survivor from ancient times who has persevered until now. I know very well the desolation that follows when the world is cleansed."

"I don't want to go through it again!"

Luo Wei touched his chin.

To others, the name Ziusudra may be just the name of an immortal who exists in mythology.

In fact, it also appears in the "Epic of Gilgamesh" that he was familiar with, the elder who informed Gil in his later years about the Elixir of Life.

But in Luo Wei's eyes... Ziusudra also represented the possibility of 'the oldest assassin'.

In the "Fate/stay night" series, occupying the top position among the seven Grand Servants in the Assassin class, there was one known as the "Old Man of the Mountain," and he had appeared in the era of Gilgamesh using the name Ziusudra.

While it was a divergent timeline, a historical singularity, the fact that it appeared in such a capacity indicated a connection.

This Ut-napishtim whatever he called was a just an Akkadian version of this old man Ziusudra right?

Now that he heard Ziusudra's account of his abilities, it was hard not to associate and doubt him.

That's why after meeting him, he brought him to his residence.

"But I don't need your protection."

After a brief thought, he denied the other party's idea: "I have become the 'Key of Heaven'. You should know this."

"Of course I know the great power created by the gods."
The old man nodded, not denying it, but insisted:
"But no one can be all-powerful, not even you – the king of Uruk or even the one created by the gods.
There must be weaknesses."

"And I can protect your weaknesses."

"But when fate reaches its 'end', no one can escape the demands for life from the bells of the underworld—"

Fuck, it is indeed King Hassan!

Luo Wei confirmed.

Even if it wasn't the same person, there had to be a significant connection between him and the oldest assassin.

Their existence was just too similar.

It's just, how could Luo Wei, who wanted to die, let this person protect him?

But judging from Ziusudra's attitude, it didn't seem like he would listen to dissuasion... After a moment of thinking, Luo Wei had an idea.

"I don't need your protection, but since you are so insistent, then—I will entrust you to help me with something!"

He said seriously:
"Next, I will go on a mission to a city-state located in the north of Uruk.
Go there and clear any potential obstacles for me!"

In fact, Luo Wei was going to another country.

Anyway, he just wanted to get rid of Ziusudra...

"Remember, your actions must be concealed." After that, Luo Wei said again.

The old man in the black robe lowered his head and pulled up the hood with tattered edges, his voice low and hoarse in the shadows, "Don't worry, I have lived for so long and know what to do!"

As a hermit who occasionally stepped out of the secluded land, he was also a person who was used to wind and rain and had caused more than one killing.

So there is no need for Luo Wei to explain; he naturally has a method to protect his target.

Seeing that a consensus was reached, Luo Wei also smiled.

He didn't believe that Ziusudra couldn't see that he was trying to push him away—but since the other party went down the stairs, there was no need for him to say anything more.

As long as they were in two different countries, whatever he did would not affect him.

"It's a pleasure to cooperate, Mr. Ziusudra."

Ziusudra responded, and in the depths of his pitch-black and profound eyes, a faint blue spark flickered.

"I'll leave now." He bowed slightly to Luo Wei and immediately turned his head.

"Then I will wait for your good news."

___________

Leaving the shadows and walking through the streets, the people coming and going are scattered in a world of bright sunshine and shadows.

Ziusudra walked through it, although his steps were slow, his movements were extremely fast.

Walking through the streets.

Stepped over the walls and gates of the city-state.

Settling in the wilderness to the north... the old man's figure gradually became taller, shrouded in pitch-black armor, and a heavy sword tinged with blue and iron appeared in his hand in an instant.

His attire looked particularly eye-catching.

Sneaking without concealing his whereabouts.

This was Ziusudra's way of protection.

"Those who seek life may die, and those who seek death may live.
The boundary of mortality resides at the crossroads of a fleeting moment, where destiny weaves its threads in the blink of an eye."

"Those who are afraid of their benevolence are not as good as those who fear their weapons."

"Those who fear their weapons are better off fearing their might."

19